Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Missing411 is another annoying one. Disappearances in national parks are attributed to everything supernatural while the author's statistics show there's nothing out of the ordinary and he says that nobody with a gun and an emergency beacon goes missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't think I heard of the Smiley Face killer but yeah, that just seems general enough to be meaningless.
I've seen Missing411 and that just bugs me, it basically just feels like a variant of the Bermuda Triangle where folks get all crazy about it but there's really nothing there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
much like Missing411 the reason Smiley Face Killer took off was one crank cop convinced he was TOTALLY ON TO SOMETHING THE BRASS WON'T LET ME FOLLOW. Unlike Missing411 which at least are mostly spooky stories and a general tone of 'look something bad happened to this person, we don't fully know what and likely never will and that's the real tragedy here' the SFK dude is famous for straight up harassing victims' families and trying to force connections. His current hobby horse is that since so many of these cases tend to be white, upper middle class, guys who are conventionally attractive and popular it must be some gang JEALOUS of them, prowling the nation's waterways murdering chads.

Of course if you bring up A) that's not the entire victimology and serial killers tend to have pretty narrow ones so there's a lot of weird outliers to account for, or B) even if you ignore the outliers 'young, popular, often fairly attractive, men with extra money to burn' is not exactly a shocking demographic for 'got drunk and fell in the water, poo poo that sucks man' either, you're just HIDING FROM THE TRUTH THAT THESE SICKOS ARE OUT THERE.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I've spent far too much time on these forums, when you said goatman I was legitimately expecting a sighting of a stretched anus guy

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

America is apparently littered with dead bodies in every nook and cranny. Recently when Gabby Petito's boyfriend murdered her and then went missing and had presumably killed himself out in the wilderness the police went searching for his body and turned up the corpses of ten other missing people before they found him.
There was a missing person case around here a few years back and when they dredged up an agricultural canal looking for their car they found like four other cars along with it just by this one curve in the road. I think the missing person ended up dead in their car but the others were just dumped from insurance fraud or joyrides or something.

Ever since then I've assumed our waterways are packed full of cars just under the surface.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, missing411 is a good comparison. There must be something going on, there's no way people could ever get lost and die in a national park! Its like how often you see serial killers or cults being read into stuff. LIke how many things online people attribute to a cult? People get movies and tv confused with real life. Very few serial killers do the Zodiac thing, and very few cults are some esoteric organization. Most are just Christian domination where the guy running it claims he's Jesus.

I guess its the same as people wanting Conspiracies to be real, for there be something more to the world than what they see. Secrets that only they can uncover or know about.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cults are by definition esoteric. Sounds like a great in for a serial killer though, just kill people in the national park and have everyone assume it was cougars or some poo poo

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think they're saying that thanks to movies and videogames people tend to imagine cults more as mysterious robed figures making blood sacrifices to ancient profane dieties while chanting in Latin in a secret underground chamber hidden in a crypt and not as just a otherwise plain Protestant church where the preacher says he is the greatest prophet since Abraham so everyone needs to marry their daughters to him because of the coming apocalypse.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gaius Marius posted:

Cults are by definition esoteric. Sounds like a great in for a serial killer though, just kill people in the national park and have everyone assume it was cougars or some poo poo

well, the thing is, it would be very easy to be a serial killer and not get caught. you could just like...not kill people all the same way in the same area who have similarities and not have extreme impulse control causing you to get sloppier and sloppier over time. but if you could do that, you probably wouldn't feel like it was a fun and important thing to murder people

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Knormal posted:

Ever since then I've assumed our waterways are packed full of cars just under the surface.

Not just current waterways. Several years ago we located a semi and trailer in an old, now dry, playa lake. Empty, thankfully.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think they're saying that thanks to movies and videogames people tend to imagine cults more as mysterious robed figures making blood sacrifices to ancient profane dieties while chanting in Latin in a secret underground chamber hidden in a crypt and not as just a otherwise plain Protestant church where the preacher says he is the greatest prophet since Abraham so everyone needs to marry their daughters to him because of the coming apocalypse.

Yea that's exactly it. Cults are imagined to be these things shrouded in secrecy and full of esoteric practices, doing unspeakable things in the name of evil gods, reading from ancient books bound in human skin and written in blood all while wearing robes and mask, and either being rich and powerful people or degenerates driven to madness by the practices they have preformed. Same with serial killers. People think they're all the Zodiac, that they leave clues, taunt the police, have some kind of ritual with every kill and that they're cackling madmen who have evidence dungeons in their basements. And that the reason they haven't been caught is because they're super geniuses. When in reality, its much much more mundane than that, rarely do they have some kind of predictable pattern or special method, and its more the cops are dumb and lazy is the reason they haven't been caught than anything else.

There have been murders in national parks though. Like families turning up in side drums or just found shot or some other method of death that isn't attributed to "fell off a cliff". There was some panic, i don't know how much there was to it though, that you'd stumble across illegal grows and the cartel or bikers that controlled it would murder you.

Google Maps has enabled people to find sunken cars all over the place, along with a lot of other weird stuff out there. Though more rational people assume that some of the weirder things are either art projects or related to military and intellgence goings on, like strange patterns in the Gobi and Mongolian deserts that are most likely for calibrating Chinese spy satellites, but it doesn't stop people from trying to make up some kind of weird and spooky reason.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Season 3 of 'Expedition Bigfoot' just started if people want to watch a serious scientific expedition to discover and document bigfoot idiots stumbling around in the woods at night saying "We're so close!! I just know it!"" over and over and hyperventilating every time they hear a twig snap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgga5-jG8fI

It's dumb as hell but they play it all off so seriously, bless their cotton socks

I just watched episode 2 and apparently they're going for a bigfoots = shadow people angle this season

It's just too dumb, I don't know if I can keep watching

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that's exactly it. Cults are imagined to be these things shrouded in secrecy and full of esoteric practices, doing unspeakable things in the name of evil gods, reading from ancient books bound in human skin and written in blood all while wearing robes and mask, and either being rich and powerful people or degenerates driven to madness by the practices they have preformed. Same with serial killers. People think they're all the Zodiac, that they leave clues, taunt the police, have some kind of ritual with every kill and that they're cackling madmen who have evidence dungeons in their basements. And that the reason they haven't been caught is because they're super geniuses. When in reality, its much much more mundane than that, rarely do they have some kind of predictable pattern or special method, and its more the cops are dumb and lazy is the reason they haven't been caught than anything else.

One (just one) of the many frustrating things about reading true crime forums is the utter mythology surrounding serial killers, all the way from supposed behaviour patterns, their supposed ubiquity, profiling, through to the superpowers attributed to them which verge on the supernatural. They're nearly supervillain figures from a comic. But if I recall, studies show that many serial killers have low IQs and are highly socially awkward, resulting from childhood abuse or brain damage. But that doesn't cut such a romantic figure.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

And a lot of serial killers benefit from police indifference or incompetence, like the one that killed my father's 2nd wife. Turns out that fingerprints in blood are inverted. Who knew? Not local police in the late 70s, apparently.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think I heard of the Smiley Face killer but yeah, that just seems general enough to be meaningless.
I've seen Missing411 and that just bugs me, it basically just feels like a variant of the Bermuda Triangle where folks get all crazy about it but there's really nothing there.

Missing411 is fun to read about but it feels like a lot of cases, especially involving young kids, are solved by just saying "mountain lions are real". Like, no poo poo you didn't hear or see anything, its an ambush predator. It doesnt get to eat dinner if it can't unexpectedly pop out of a bush, kill something smaller than itself, and run off with the body.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/folk_horror/status/1509269670980993024?t=Ea9YkV61VLyqxfLuc7FdoQ&s=19

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Idk what Tupac was complaining about, that little demon guy seems to be having the time of his life in his wack-rear end crystal prison

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Somebody get some grad students to figure out how many goddamn gorilla suits are actually out there.

Seems like a lot.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

My urge to break that glass open and release that demon is near overwhelming.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Robobot posted:

My urge to break that glass open and release that demon is near overwhelming.

Look, we've barely gotten past the mummy curse, and now the Japanese fox spirit is on the loose. Could you just hold off for a while?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

was told this thread would appreciate this documentary https://www.loveandsaucers.com/

about a dude who claims to have lost his virginity to an alien and been abducted over 100 times. He paints his experiences.

Website is mildly NSFW (paintings of nude aliens)

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
The movie is on Tubi- i'm watching it now and its well worth checking out. It has a tone I really appreciate where its very sympathetic to the person and his experiences. Definitely not squatch hunter schlock even as it presents a pretty bizarre and unlikely series of circumstances. The artwork of the main guy is really something special. I'm tempted to get a piece for our new place but my wife already let me hang a Nessie sketch, so I dunno if I can push my luck.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DeimosRising posted:

well, the thing is, it would be very easy to be a serial killer and not get caught. you could just like...not kill people all the same way in the same area who have similarities and not have extreme impulse control causing you to get sloppier and sloppier over time. but if you could do that, you probably wouldn't feel like it was a fun and important thing to murder people

I feel like most people are genuinely pretty good, mostly because there are a gently caress ton of ways to hypothetically kill people and get away with it or cause mass mayhem and mass death and it just doesn't happen very often.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Marcade posted:

And a lot of serial killers benefit from police indifference or incompetence, like the one that killed my father's 2nd wife. Turns out that fingerprints in blood are inverted. Who knew? Not local police in the late 70s, apparently.

Yea i was thinking about another big reason for serial killers getting away with it for a long time is they generally target people who cops don't give a poo poo about; sex workers, homeless people, hitchhikers, LGQBT+ people, all of which are mostly minorities. Serial killers in the movies and tv always target attractive young white girls or suburban white families. If a serial killer started targeting Silicon Valley big wigs, they'd be all over that case, but native hitchhikers? gently caress those drunk indians, probably just out looking for gas to huff.

There are a lot of missing First Nations girls in Canada, and the RCMP and local police do not give a poo poo at all.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

nonathlon posted:

One (just one) of the many frustrating things about reading true crime forums is the utter mythology surrounding serial killers, all the way from supposed behaviour patterns, their supposed ubiquity, profiling, through to the superpowers attributed to them which verge on the supernatural. They're nearly supervillain figures from a comic. But if I recall, studies show that many serial killers have low IQs and are highly socially awkward, resulting from childhood abuse or brain damage. But that doesn't cut such a romantic figure.

the "serial killer" in the tv show, true crime sense is essentially a modern mythical monster. the 20th century vampire or werewolf.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i was thinking about another big reason for serial killers getting away with it for a long time is they generally target people who cops don't give a poo poo about; sex workers, homeless people, hitchhikers, LGQBT+ people, all of which are mostly minorities. Serial killers in the movies and tv always target attractive young white girls or suburban white families. If a serial killer started targeting Silicon Valley big wigs, they'd be all over that case, but native hitchhikers? gently caress those drunk indians, probably just out looking for gas to huff.

There are a lot of missing First Nations girls in Canada, and the RCMP and local police do not give a poo poo at all.

absolutely

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

the "serial killer" in the tv show, true crime sense is essentially a modern mythical monster. the 20th century vampire or werewolf.

absolutely

That's kinda blowing my mind with how right it is tbh. Woah.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What people picture when they think about cults

Most actual cults:

DeimosRising posted:

This is absolutely spot on.p

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Woo, veiled prophet shout out, st louis!! Missouri pride woo woo!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FreudianSlippers posted:

What people picture when they think about cults

Most actual cults:

This is absolutely spot on.p

What the story with the very last photo with the veiled figure that looks creepy as gently caress.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hollismason posted:

What the story with the very last photo with the veiled figure that looks creepy as gently caress.

Veiled Prophet Ball, a totally normal St Louis thing where every wealthy and powerful person in the state meets in secret to have a beauty pageant where a young white girl is crowned queen and the entire thing is EXTREMELY secretive and even mentioning past winners can get freaks trying to cause trouble.

You know, normal poo poo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It started as an anti labor thing, stop striking or the prophet will come and kill you. the original prophet looked much more like the achetypical klansman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m2Fe_tER5Y
Interview about how they unmasked him one year. Something he doesn't mention is the woman who pulled it off fell from halfway up while climbing down and broke her ribs. Incredible stuff.

Snooze Cruise has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Apr 3, 2022

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Veiled Prophet Ball, a totally normal St Louis thing where every wealthy and powerful person in the state meets in secret to have a beauty pageant where a young white girl is crowned queen and the entire thing is EXTREMELY secretive and even mentioning past winners can get freaks trying to cause trouble.

You know, normal poo poo.

Ellie Kemper from the office / unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was one of the winners, was a really interesting thing to learn about

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
The Kempers are a big deal banking family in KC too. But hey nothing to see here just harmless tradition! Besides I love the office- it’s crazy that a woman from such a prominent family ended up being talented enough to get cast in tons of Hollywood productions.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah that’s right on I think. I feel like someone could write a good summary of the evolution from sensational crime stories to ripped from the headlines Law and Order SVU stuff to the mainstream prevalence of true crime podcasts. I think serial killers, human trafficking etc have become kinda mythologized in this way to reflect mainstream fears in the US (and other places I’m not familiar with I’m sure).

Cryptids on the other hand I think are reflective of hope for something new and interesting and meaningful. They’re monsters but I don’t think they fill the “monster” role in popular culture as vampires or werewolves or whatever did back in the day. They aren’t really a source of terror. Except Momo, the Missouri Monster. I’m terrified of that guy.

Edit: Sorry for the double post

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

are there any cryptids with cults built around them / cool insane monster-worshipping cults? is god a cryptid?

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
To me the defining thing about Cryptozoology is the pretense of hard science. There’s definitely a lot of overlap with mysticism and alternate universe stuff but full on supernatural stuff likes ghosts and demons is kind of a separate thing. I think the meaning of the word cryptid has kind of become a catch all for weird/supernatural things as it has entered the popular culture though. As a very little kid i wanted to be a cryptozoologist when I grew up, but I don’t think I heard the term cryptid until relatively recently.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

BrownPepper posted:

To me the defining thing about Cryptozoology is the pretense of hard science. There’s definitely a lot of overlap with mysticism and alternate universe stuff but full on supernatural stuff likes ghosts and demons is kind of a separate thing. I think the meaning of the word cryptid has kind of become a catch all for weird/supernatural things as it has entered the popular culture though. As a very little kid i wanted to be a cryptozoologist when I grew up, but I don’t think I heard the term cryptid until relatively recently.

Yeah like the very good British "cryptids" series which still tipped its hand by using that term. I tell you old beardy George RR Martin lookin guys who run used bookstores won't know what you mean if you say cryptids ...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

alf_pogs posted:

are there any cryptids with cults built around them / cool insane monster-worshipping cults? is god a cryptid?

SA's very own Slenderman

BrownPepper posted:

The 'evidence' for ghosts and demons and fairies is of exactly the same kind of quality as the evidence for mystery hominoids and lake monsters so any line of demarcation you draw between them is going to be completely arbitrary. Also there's lots of people who claim that bigfoot is a supernatural being which can 'cloak' and pass through portals into different dimensions blah blah blah.
There's also a whole lot of 'reality' TV shows where they use technology to try and prove the existence of ghosts, and science-based paranormal research on ghosts and psychic abilities and similar goes back a long long way.

If you want to approach cryptozoology from a hard science point of view it's a very short trip: "Is there any actual verifiable, measurable evidence which was collected by trained field researchers and which can't be explained away by mundane causes? No? Okay, there's nothing to actually study and no conclusions can be drawn."

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Apr 4, 2022

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

SA's very own Slenderman

The 'evidence' for ghosts and demons and fairies is of exactly the same kind of quality as the evidence for mystery hominoids and lake monsters so any line of demarcation you draw between them is going to be completely arbitrary. Also there's lots of people who claim that bigfoot is a supernatural being which can 'cloak' and pass through portals into different dimensions blah blah blah.
There's also a whole lot of 'reality' TV shows where they use technology to try and prove the existence of ghosts, and science-based paranormal research on ghosts and psychic abilities and similar goes back a long long way.

If you want to approach cryptozoology from a hard science point of view it's a very short trip: "Is there any actual verifiable, measurable evidence which was collected by trained field researchers and which can't be explained away by mundane causes? No? Okay, there's nothing to actually study and no conclusions can be drawn."

Yeah no poo poo. But cryptozoology took the approach of using the terminology and vernier of biology. So you’d see people talking about what taxonomy Bigfoot would fall under. When people get into the idea that Mothman and Bigfoot are alternate reality aliens that’s a very different perspective.I don’t think anybody in this thread is looking for verifiable evidence these things exist, it’s more about being interested in and relating to the reasons people think they see them or believe in them.

However, Momo, the Missouri Monster is unfortunately all too real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Woo, momo shout out, momo!! Missouri pride woo woo!