Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Foob Boy is old enough to drive and just had significant story beats about it so 15? 16?

Jucika "126 - Jucika And The Rose"

"127 - Jucika Exchanges Souvenirs" NSFW Nudity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've never had a notification on my phone more appropriate for this thread

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Why is Curtis' dad just sitting there making a threatening fist at dinner?

I think he's supposed to be holding a mug.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Kind of seems like a situation where Inconsistencies indicate lying, all people move at the same speed, and all crimes take zero time. Therefore, since Butch thinks that he'd have stopped the robbery if he arrived 10 minutes earlier, though the boy left 30 minutes earlier (and that the thief hasn't even been depicted outside a flashback) means Butch is lying about the theft, and he took the Tigers' money.

Edit: And yeah, I suppose the fact that we've been given no indication of how Butch knows the crime took place 10 minutes before he got there.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 1, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

aaaaahahahaha talk about putting the cat among the pigeons :allears:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Why is Curtis' dad just sitting there making a threatening fist at dinner?

The food is so good that they all weep knowing that soon this experience will end. Truly Curtis' mother is blessed by the gods.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Doomykins posted:

Foob Boy is old enough to drive and just had significant story beats about it so 15? 16?

Yeah I don't know what the driving age was in Ontario in 1993, but I assumed these kids are 16 or 17. I want to give this story a fair shake given when it was written, but having the other "boy" be twenty is a pretty gross detail. I hope this is a one sided crush on the kid's part.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Thank you for saving me the trouble of doing the edit, because...

Luann

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

~Coxy posted:

Guindon

This is who I thought of too.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Toby's every problem in this story can be solved quickly by talking.

The Phantom

"Well then me and my wife can adopt a new Walker!"
"Ah, but wait, oh Ghost! As a result of you freeing Savarna, the bombing of the Mountain City, your son becoming a revolutionary, Kadia's suicide, and your daughter deciding to not take the mantle of the Phantom, Diana...uh...joins a cult! Yeah! A cult that...doesn't believe in adoption...and worships...Satan! Yeah Satan that's right!"

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Mozz, you suck.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

I choose to think better of people instead of worse where appropriate and that this is a really good April Fools joke. :allears:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
All the talk about the FOOB storyline, and the frustration around legacy comics being taken over by webcomics people made me decide to bring back Heart of the City.

Heart of the City was originally made by Mark Tatuli of Lio fame but when he put down the pen a year or so ago, it was taken over by webcomic artist Steenz. I think our total response when I originally started posting it after the reboot was that it was.... fine. Not amazing, not terrible, some people didn't like the art.

Now, a little over a year later, I'm not going to say Heart's amazing, but it can carry a storyline, use text boxes effectively, have queer characters, maintain a standard art level daily, and make nerd references that make sense for characters. This makes it the best possible outcome of the webtoons-to-newspaper-toons pipeline, I think.

We're in the middle of a new storyline that started in March, so I'll post in batches from the beginning of the storyline until we catch up, then add it to my daily posts. (Do not ask me who these characters are, I only kind of followed this comic until today.

Heart of the City

This is a lot of work to put into your "annual lazy strip" gag.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I thought the annual lazy strip was on Labor Day.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ardeem posted:

I thought the annual lazy strip was on Labor Day.

yeah that's labor day, april fools is always goofier like having vampire nancy

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
April fool's day is Nancy lore day

Also I want to share this one I saw while going through the older strips:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Kennel posted:

But now, wow!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

This is some really loving terrible timing for this storyline to rerun when DeSantis' anti-gay/trans bill has "LGBT people are trying to prey on your kids!" back as a prominent talking point.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kennel posted:

*sigh*

*cups colossal boobs*

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Mister Sun

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

"Ah, but wait, oh Ghost! As a result of you freeing Savarna, the bombing of the Mountain City, your son becoming a revolutionary, Kadia's suicide, and your daughter deciding to not take the mantle of the Phantom, Diana...uh...joins a cult! Yeah! A cult that...doesn't believe in adoption...and worships...Satan! Yeah Satan that's right!"

"Fine! I'll divorce her, find a new wife and have a kid with her!"
"Oh Ghost, you're a grown man who wear purple spandex, riding boots and live in a skull cave. You were incredibly lucky to find one woman who would find that attractive. let alone two."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

No Bad Machinery today, since it seems like GoComics just decided to reprint yesterday's strip. April Fools, I guess?

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I literally don't remember Kadia having any attachment to Kit whatsoever, let only enough to commit suicide over him (despite, you know, not even being dead). Did she even know he existed?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is some really loving terrible timing for this storyline to rerun when DeSantis' anti-gay/trans bill has "LGBT people are trying to prey on your kids!" back as a prominent talking point.

This is honestly a really good argument to make if you were trying to convince your local paper it's time to drop FOOB reruns.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

No Bad Machinery today, since it seems like GoComics just decided to reprint yesterday's strip. April Fools, I guess?

I literally don't remember Kadia having any attachment to Kit whatsoever, let only enough to commit suicide over him (despite, you know, not even being dead). Did she even know he existed?

Look if we can have fantheories why cant mozz?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Wait, why does Kadia kill herself? How does that have anything to do with Savarna at all? Mozz needs to go take a nap.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey gang, I'm alive! My internet was out for almost three weeks. :negative:

The short version is that my ISP pushed a firmware update that broke everyone's modems. Thoughts and prayers to the Frontier service people who now have to go to EVERYONE'S HOUSE and manually apply a patch to fix the modems.

Thank you JethroMcB for keeping us all up to date on Luann while I was out.

Today's Luann is already posted, so I'll just complain about Dustin's dad pretending he has a bad ISP.

Dude, you called them!

Bitch, they're getting a service guy over to your house as early as tomorrow and you're whining about it?

You know, there's a lot that the rando you get on the phone can do for you if you're not an rear end in a top hat to them. I wonder if Kelley has ever gotten a string pulled for him in his life.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Look if we can have fantheories why cant mozz?

Now that Mozz finally revealed what causes the downfall of the Phantoms, the Phantom should be asking an important question. "Hey Mozz, is you knew the city my son is living in, the city that has trained past Phantoms, was effectively being held hostage by criminal elements and the only thing keeping the peace is a corrupt cop who used to own child slaves, why didn't you tell me about this sooner so I could have nipped all that in the bud rather than playing coy on why I cant rescue Savarna?!"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vise the Stompy posted:

Now that Mozz finally revealed what causes the downfall of the Phantoms, the Phantom should be asking an important question. "Hey Mozz, is you knew the city my son is living in, the city that has trained past Phantoms, was effectively being held hostage by criminal elements and the only thing keeping the peace is a corrupt cop who used to own child slaves, why didn't you tell me about this sooner so I could have nipped all that in the bud rather than playing coy on why I cant rescue Savarna?!"
Criminal elements? Isn't it the chinese government?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Vargo posted:

This is honestly a really good argument to make if you were trying to convince your local paper it's time to drop FOOB reruns.

I mean, I'm still hoping it's a situation like that one poster said, where the dude wasn't doing anything except being nice to Lawrence and then Lawrence got a crush on him, but they're not high hopes.

Green Intern posted:

Wait, why does Kadia kill herself? How does that have anything to do with Savarna at all? Mozz needs to go take a nap.

The implication seems to be Kadia and Kit fall in love, and when Kit decides to not be the Phantom so he can go do revengeance stuff, he dumps her and she's so distraught that she kills herself. I feel like Mozz is just making poo poo up at this point.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I mean, I'm still hoping it's a situation like that one poster said, where the dude wasn't doing anything except being nice to Lawrence and then Lawrence got a crush on him, but they're not high hopes.

The implication seems to be Kadia and Kit fall in love, and when Kit decides to not be the Phantom so he can go do revengeance stuff, he dumps her and she's so distraught that she kills herself. I feel like Mozz is just making poo poo up at this point.

But I thought Mozz said that Kit would never return, so how would they meet up again before he turns into the revengeful guerilla leader.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Phantom returns home rubbing his temples, sitting at his desk putting together a list, adding "get Kadia therapy? Set up a blind date?"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder much worse this phantom story will get?

Zereth posted:

Criminal elements? Isn't it the chinese government?
Potato potato.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Even so, this is some thin loving ice, and honestly everything about this storyline runs from "cringy" to "actively harmful" when ran today. (I didn't love the other days' reference to "two-spirits", a term much closer related to gender identity than sexual, either.)

Everything about having this strip here this week has really made me mad that it still is published in its current form. For a straight woman writer publishing in 1993, I'm sure this was groundbreaking. But having it run in papers now serves as a giant reminder that it's taking up space, that the slot it has could go to a current artist, telling a story that is useful for queer youth today. Instead of this poo poo that is actively hurtful. And if anyone was paying attention, should not have run.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
“Friend Heloise wants for a sister” makes me think Mozz thinks Heloise is trying to set Kadia up with her brother, and not with herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

So I guess this FOOB story was a 90's "Dare I draw a Negro?" moment.