Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I will buy an EV when they have long enough range that I don't have to insanely spend like 30 minutes recharging while driving back to Indiana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
surely inconvenience is a small price to pay for 30 more minutes away from Indiana

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Khablam posted:

You don't mention the local KFC situation at all in this area review.

All of the KFC's are KFC/Taco Bell combo locations which is nice because you get to order some chicken soft tacos with a side of hot wings. The KFC in general is not as good as it is in the UK in my experience. They don't have the zinger tower burger out here for example.

refleks posted:

of course there is. loving tech nerds who want to janitor their piece of poo poo cars

This area is known for it's nature loving environmentalists, so that's the majority of people who have them. They buy Tesla's because they're the apple of cars and they don't know any better.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

gently caress tesla the car and the company.

theyre the... christian horner of cars

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

They buy Tesla's because they're the apple of cars

the gently caress

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cimber posted:

Having solar panels on my house makes it worthwhile TBH. Plug in when I get home, don't pay a dime for electricity.

That makes a load of sense tbh, are you able to funnel unused power back to the grid for a credit?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

refleks posted:

gently caress tesla the car and the company.

theyre the... christian horner of cars

Yes agreed. Elon poo poo aside, they're poorly built cars and their stance on right to repair is so hosed they make apple look like beacons of hope.

The single screen in the middle that shows all of the car information is also stupid.

EV's are unquestionably the future and my next car will be an EV, but it won't be a Tesla

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

People buy Teslas because there isn't another realistic long range EV on the market right now other than new models from the likes of VW or GM, I'd be shocked if they still have a major hold on that category in a couple years.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Theophany posted:

That makes a load of sense tbh, are you able to funnel unused power back to the grid for a credit?

Yeah, net metering its called.

In the day I produce electricity and it goes into the grid. Say i make 65 KW/H during the day in excess of what we used during the day. That night when the sun goes down we draw from the grid. Say 20 KW/H of electricity. That extra 45 is applied to my balance that builds up over the 'solar year'. My solar year goes March 21st through March 20th.

During the spring and summer months I am constantly adding to my balance, where i will have thousands of KW/H of electricty stored up. During the winter when my panels don't do much I am almost always drawing from the credits I've built up.

Come March 20th all my excess KW/H credits are wiped away and I am given cash for each KW/H I have left over (really, a credit to my electric bill) and I start anew.

I only pay for the connection fee to the grid, which is 15 bucks a month. That credit I get in march usually lasts me a few months so in April and May I don't pay anything.

In august, when all the ACs are running? I'm paying 15 bucks a month on electricity while my neighbors are paying 450. I have not paid more than 15 bucks a month in electricity since 2016.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 1, 2022

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

your friend wicka posted:

I will buy an EV when they have long enough range that I don't have to insanely spend like 30 minutes recharging while driving back to Indiana

People say this but on the balance of things when you look at all the time you don't have to waste filling up to have to add like 30 minutes to a long trip that you're probably going to take anyways to grab lunch and stretch your legs it doesn't really square with me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

italian quid posted:

People say this but on the balance of things when you look at all the time you don't have to waste filling up to have to add like 30 minutes to a long trip that you're probably going to take anyways to grab lunch and stretch your legs it doesn't really square with me.

It's a six and a half hour drive, the Golf can make it on one tank, sometimes I don't stop at all. If I do stop it's for 5-10 minutes at most.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

It's a six and a half hour drive, the Golf can make it on one tank, sometimes I don't stop at all. If I do stop it's for 5-10 minutes at most.

But think of how relaxing it is when you have no choice but to sit and wait for 30 minutes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I just meant in general never having to deal with a gas station in day to day life.

That alone is worth it for me

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

italian quid posted:

I just meant in general never having to deal with a gas station in day to day life.

What the gently caress, where else am I going to get a room temperate egg salad sandwich to raise the stakes on my 4 hour drive home???

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

EVs are great if your destinations both have superchargers.

If your trip is to a middle of no where small town you can totally still go. But it means a 10 hour roundtrip becomes:

Drive 2 hours out of your way to go to a supercharger, fill up there, go to your actual destination, don't drive while you're at you're destination. On the way back drive back two hours out of your way to fill up to full again, drive home.

So a 10 hour round trip is actually 15 hours minimum.

Realistically the "correct" answer if you really need a car is a used Leaf, then rent a gas powered car for your long trips.

Or just buy a V8.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You guys know you can have more than 1 car right?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

italian quid posted:

People buy Teslas because there isn't another realistic long range EV on the market right now other than new models from the likes of VW or GM, I'd be shocked if they still have a major hold on that category in a couple years.

Polestar 2: 400km
Volvo xc40/c40: 360km
Mach E long range: 505km
Kia EV6: 400km
Hyundai Ionia 5 long range: 480km
Audi etron: 357km
Tesla model 3: 430km
Tesla model 3 long range: 570km

Most of them are there or thereabouts.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Unironically

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

That fact that Ford is calling the Mach E a 'mustang' is an abomination to all that is good, Godly and holy.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

ya its getting there, but talking to the average person their impression generally is that Teslas have the better range.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cimber posted:

That fact that Ford is calling the Mach E a 'mustang' is an abomination to all that is good, Godly and holy.

lmfao if you hold some 60s boomer nameplate as sacred

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

italian quid posted:

I barely drive outside of visiting family, which I do like 3-4 times a year at least. That's the vast majority of the miles I have on my car. I've bought gas one time in 2022 and I still have 3/4 of a tank.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

italian quid posted:

ferrari?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The mustang name was tainted to gently caress in the 70s and by the fox body mustang tbh.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mercedes benz more like mercedes BINS

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ArmZ posted:

ferrari?

They own OP, are you demented???

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

italian quid posted:

So you would be ok with the Ferrari Roma crossover SUV?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cimber posted:

So you would be ok with the Ferrari Roma crossover SUV?

If it was made with Italian passion I'm sure it would be great OP

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

italian quid posted:

If it was made with Italian passion I'm sure it would be great OP

New thread title!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I was made with Italian passion.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
https://defector.com/formula-one-drivers-sorted-into-sweeties-and-enemies/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cringe

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cimber posted:

Yeah, net metering its called.

In the day I produce electricity and it goes into the grid. Say i make 65 KW/H during the day in excess of what we used during the day. That night when the sun goes down we draw from the grid. Say 20 KW/H of electricity. That extra 45 is applied to my balance that builds up over the 'solar year'. My solar year goes March 21st through March 20th.

During the spring and summer months I am constantly adding to my balance, where i will have thousands of KW/H of electricty stored up. During the winter when my panels don't do much I am almost always drawing from the credits I've built up.

Come March 20th all my excess KW/H credits are wiped away and I am given cash for each KW/H I have left over (really, a credit to my electric bill) and I start anew.

I only pay for the connection fee to the grid, which is 15 bucks a month. That credit I get in march usually lasts me a few months so in April and May I don't pay anything.

In august, when all the ACs are running? I'm paying 15 bucks a month on electricity while my neighbors are paying 450. I have not paid more than 15 bucks a month in electricity since 2016.

That's actually quite cool that a kWh counts as a kWh regardless of the time it's generated and consumed.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

I barely drive outside of visiting family, which I do like 3-4 times a year at least. That's the vast majority of the miles I have on my car. I've bought gas one time in 2022 and I still have 3/4 of a tank.

Sounds like owning a car at all is more pointless than owning an EV

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Low Percent Lunge posted:

Sounds like owning a car at all is more pointless than owning an EV

It is unfortunate that I live in the US, yes

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The problem with electric cars is while gas has gone up by about 50% here in a year, my electricity costs have trebled.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

italian quid posted:

ya its getting there, but talking to the average person their impression generally is that Teslas have the better range.

This was a valid argument when a tesla was doing 300km and everyone else was doing like 60. The ranges on EV's are maybe 20% less than your average car (my car on a brimmed tank will do about 550ish km). Unless you're usual car journey is more than 400km but less than 570, then the range difference won't matter much on a day to day basis. Especially when you consider that the car charges when you get home. Imagine walking out to your car every morning knowing you had a full tank.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I agree with you. But what is truth doesn't equal people's perception of things and people's perception is what has to change for other brands to start moving EVs

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Las Vegas is right up there with China, Saudi Arabia and Baku (and Sochi if it wasn’t for those meddling Ukrainians)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I rode in a self driving Tesla and it was terrifying. It nearly drove into a solid concrete wall and it couldn’t detect a crosswalk and bollards with the curb jutting out, you know those things designed to slow cars down, so it just went right over the curb and almost hit the bollards.

This was my experience in one test drive. Just one. Imagine the poo poo it gets up to when it’s your full time car