Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Miyoo Minis are starting to show back up at reasonable prices now

I bought one for a suspiciously low amount, half hoping it never actually shows up and I get my money back, cause I don't really need it and it doesn't run any systems my v90 doesn't already cover (albiet a little worse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I played some PSP games on the deck last night and it was very good. It's a beast for emulation and I'm looking forward to someone making an easy frontend for it. Even now, it's pretty good with retroarch.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm gonna have to keep an eye on that Rockchip 3588 dealie. That seems like it'd be a great little streaming/gaming box to plug into my TV.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

So I bought a Retroid Pocket 2 last year, got a few months of play out of it before it ended up in a drawer. A few weeks back I pulled it out and started playing it but I have to say, I am much less forgiving of the flaws now that some time has passed. Probably the worst thing is how bad the battery situation is; it dies at 20%, doesn’t seem to give the correct % in general, shuts off without warning when it gets too low. It also seems to drain in sleep mode really fast.

I looked around for the PCB upgrade and couldn’t find it in stock anywhere. I assume I missed that ship.

I know there are instructions out there for upgrading to newer android revisions. Mostly I hear it makes it “snappier” which I don’t consider an issue, so I’m mostly wondering how it changes the battery situation. Is it worth the trouble?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

GoodApollo posted:

So I bought a Retroid Pocket 2 last year, got a few months of play out of it before it ended up in a drawer. A few weeks back I pulled it out and started playing it but I have to say, I am much less forgiving of the flaws now that some time has passed. Probably the worst thing is how bad the battery situation is; it dies at 20%, doesn’t seem to give the correct % in general, shuts off without warning when it gets too low. It also seems to drain in sleep mode really fast.

I looked around for the PCB upgrade and couldn’t find it in stock anywhere. I assume I missed that ship.

I know there are instructions out there for upgrading to newer android revisions. Mostly I hear it makes it “snappier” which I don’t consider an issue, so I’m mostly wondering how it changes the battery situation. Is it worth the trouble?

Upgrade kit is available on their site: https://www.goretroid.com/collections/frontpage/products/retroid-pocket-2-plus-pcb-upgrade

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Was not impressed with the AetherSX2 emulator just yet. If I could crank down the internal resolution a lil more I bet I could get smoother playback during the FMV intros on the two games I tested: MS Saga and Super Robot Wars OG. Audio was hella chunky too. SRW OG was sorta playable. I haven't tried stuff like FFXII or FFX.

the 64bit Retroarch is not nearly as stable as the 32bit version. Got pretty deep into Front Mission 3. Really like the cheat patcher utility.

There's a second Dolphin emulator included in the Retroid setup wizard that's a lot more stable. Gonna hunker down and give SRW GC another go here in a bit.

Its crazy that a bunch of opensource/graysource apps can get this much functionality on what's essentially dressed up cell phone hardware.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
New Anbernic, this time with Windows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLZMStqK3nk

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Thicc.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Another big device
I'm kidding myself for waiting for them to produce a 351mp sized device with a more powerful chip right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The era of the chode handheld is upon us

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

freelop posted:

I'm kidding myself for waiting for them to produce a 351mp sized device with a more powerful chip right?

More powerful than the RK3326, no, hopefully we'll have more of that later this year. But if you mean an x86 handheld, yes you are. Valve is in the best position to take the best advantage of a lovely supply situation right now and they still couldn't produce a decent x86 handheld smaller than a medium-sized marine mammal.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Valve could have made the deck smaller, they just didn't want to. It is a monument to hubris, like the Titanic or the quad baconator

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That handheld looks like it engulfed another handheld and is still digesting it.

Depending on price I'll take one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I like that after everyone said they loved that the RG552 removed the Anbernic logo from the bottom of the screen they've put it back there even bigger this time.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i'm pro logo and pro small form factor. holding anything bigger than a Switch causes me hand fatigue

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The RP3 could potentially be a smaller device.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

zzMisc posted:

More powerful than the RK3326, no, hopefully we'll have more of that later this year. But if you mean an x86 handheld, yes you are. Valve is in the best position to take the best advantage of a lovely supply situation right now and they still couldn't produce a decent x86 handheld smaller than a medium-sized marine mammal.

Isn't the RK3588 supposed to be the next up?

https://youtu.be/d02fiFl3o1A

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I would like a bigger one, conversely, because I can just throw it in whatever bag I’m toting. Pocketable devices are too small for my eyes and apparent gorilla hands :j:

Moot point though, because if I can’t afford the Steam Deck and Ayn Odin, I won’t be able to afford any of the Windows handhelds either. And if it has a bigger screen, I’d at least like better N64, Saturn, and Dreamcast than the RGB10 Max 2 can do.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Got my rp2+ yesterday and got it all set up. Running Dreamcast and DS stuff perfectly. Not tried anything on the GameCube or PS2 yet and I need to fiddle with mapping the controls on N64 before I try that any further.

I watched the setup video and have made seperate folders for all my ROMs for different systems. My question is do I need to put the bios stuff for that system in the same folder as the games or is having a seperate bios folder on the SD card going to work the same?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Photex posted:

Isn't the RK3588 supposed to be the next up?

https://youtu.be/d02fiFl3o1A

Holy poo poo that's fantastic. Would be amazing if I could buy that in a 351V sized device in a year or two. It helps that a lot of PS2 games use the d-pad and left stick interchangeably, though it'll get complicated with some of them of course.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DrWrestling69 posted:

Got my rp2+ yesterday and got it all set up. Running Dreamcast and DS stuff perfectly. Not tried anything on the GameCube or PS2 yet and I need to fiddle with mapping the controls on N64 before I try that any further.

I watched the setup video and have made seperate folders for all my ROMs for different systems. My question is do I need to put the bios stuff for that system in the same folder as the games or is having a seperate bios folder on the SD card going to work the same?

Retroarch will scan the folder you specify in the settings for the BIOS. Then when you launch the game it'll grab the right BIOS for the core.

AetherSX2 wants specific bios files, which is a hassle.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

coconono posted:

Retroarch will scan the folder you specify in the settings for the BIOS. Then when you launch the game it'll grab the right BIOS for the core.

AetherSX2 wants specific bios files, which is a hassle.

Thanks I have just opened up duckstation which is saying that no bios image was found. Am I better using retroarch for ps1

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DrWrestling69 posted:

Thanks I have just opened up duckstation which is saying that no bios image was found. Am I better using retroarch for ps1

yeah Retroarch has the PCSX-rearmed core which so far works real nice for Tony Hawk and Super Robot Wars games.

I might be getting a GPD WIN 3 in a bit. Found a dude in LA that loves to tinker on poo poo and we got to talking about FPGA stuff and he casually dropped he's looking to offload it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

coconono posted:

yeah Retroarch has the PCSX-rearmed core which so far works real nice for Tony Hawk and Super Robot Wars games.

I might be getting a GPD WIN 3 in a bit. Found a dude in LA that loves to tinker on poo poo and we got to talking about FPGA stuff and he casually dropped he's looking to offload it.

lol I'm in LA and if you want an Aya Neo let me know. I'm prob gonna get rid of mine once my steam deck comes in the next few weeks.

Edit I also have a GPD XD if you want that for free lol I just can't be hosed to sell it or ship it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MarcusSA posted:

lol I'm in LA and if you want an Aya Neo let me know. I'm prob gonna get rid of mine once my steam deck comes in the next few weeks.

Edit I also have a GPD XD if you want that for free lol I just can't be hosed to sell it or ship it.

Sadly, I'm only in LA 2-3 times a year but I travel all over the country. More importantly, I will entertain all offers of your useless poo poo!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Currently debating whether to jump into the game on a retro handheld - I've done RetroArch on an RPi3b+ paired with my old PS3 controller and TV, but something that can just go with me would be nice.

I suspect the answer will by "it's mostly your preference" but if I'm not in a hurry, do folks think that the RP2+, RG351MP, or waiting out a new generation of products makes the most sense?

Most of my games of interest are honestly in the NES-PSX range (maybe a few N64 games, probably not much dreamcast and almost no Gamecube) - My understanding is that none of the handhelds can quite handle PS2 games at this point?

For those who have used the RP2+ for DS games, I assume that it's really crappy for games that make heavier use of the touchscreen aspect of things, right? I saw that one of the emulators uses a "mouse mode" for that input, and I can only imagine that would be bad for stuff like trauma center or games with lots of gesture-based inputs...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Imo the RP2+ is the best bang for the buck right now.

More powerful stuff should be hitting the market soon(ish) but the price points are unknown though

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you want to play DS, jbone sells modded DS's for ~$35 with shipping. You can run DS games off a sd card now. That's the way to go to play DS games IMO.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alucard posted:

Currently debating whether to jump into the game on a retro handheld - I've done RetroArch on an RPi3b+ paired with my old PS3 controller and TV, but something that can just go with me would be nice.

I suspect the answer will by "it's mostly your preference" but if I'm not in a hurry, do folks think that the RP2+, RG351MP, or waiting out a new generation of products makes the most sense?

Most of my games of interest are honestly in the NES-PSX range (maybe a few N64 games, probably not much dreamcast and almost no Gamecube) - My understanding is that none of the handhelds can quite handle PS2 games at this point?

For those who have used the RP2+ for DS games, I assume that it's really crappy for games that make heavier use of the touchscreen aspect of things, right? I saw that one of the emulators uses a "mouse mode" for that input, and I can only imagine that would be bad for stuff like trauma center or games with lots of gesture-based inputs...

If you just want to give emulation handhelds a try an RG350P is like 70 bucks on Amazon and will cover most of your expected range(consoles through PS1 and handhelds through GBA)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I haven't really played with DS emulation on my RP2+ because I have a modded 3DS which is absolutely worth an afternoon's tinkering.

So far on the RP2+ I've successfully emulated:
PSX
Dreamcast
Saturn
GBA
SNES
Sega Genesis
Sega CD/32x(those FMV games are absolute trash and I would have cried buying them at full retail but you need to experience them)
Gamecube
PSP

Stuff I'm dinking around with:
PS2 (waiting for AetherSX2 app update)
PC Engine/PC Engine CD (retroarch does not want to play well with roms from CD Romance or Archive.org)
Atari Jaguar(just need to grab some roms)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Which one of these do I want if I primarily want Saturn/Dreamcast and maybe ScummVM? I'm really wanting to play some Saturn games handheld, especially Shining Force 3. GameCube would be nice too, but not necessary.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

If you want to play DS, jbone sells modded DS's for ~$35 with shipping. You can run DS games off a sd card now. That's the way to go to play DS games IMO.

I still actually have a DSLite with a Rev4 card - I feel like some of the late phase ds games don't work on it though. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll mull it over and probably pull the trigger after I check my finances from March.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Walla posted:

Which one of these do I want if I primarily want Saturn/Dreamcast and maybe ScummVM? I'm really wanting to play some Saturn games handheld, especially Shining Force 3. GameCube would be nice too, but not necessary.

RP2+

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It's sold out? Is that the only viable option outside of a Moqi i7 or some other $300 thing?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yes. It's the best performance for price in the market by a wide margin and it's made by a tiny French company, so it sells out pretty often

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yeah, after looking at the prices of the Anbernic devices I decided to bite the bullet. I've been wanting to play some Saturn games for a few years so I can wait a few more months.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Just wanna chime in and say that I love my RP2+. I ordered mine right after Christmas, so I beat the shipping issues luckily. If you don’t mind waiting for 2-3 months for it to arrive, it’s absolutely great for what it does. I’ve even convinced a couple coworkers to order them, just by letting them fool around with mine a bit on their breaks.

Has anyone been able to get the Final Fantasy pixel remasters working well on theirs? They seem to wanna run shrunken down at 800x600 or something, with the tiniest text. Also, there’s no controller support for whatever loving reason.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

you got a link to a store or something for this? sounds right up my alley

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986837

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Switched.on posted:

Just wanna chime in and say that I love my RP2+. I ordered mine right after Christmas, so I beat the shipping issues luckily. If you don’t mind waiting for 2-3 months for it to arrive, it’s absolutely great for what it does. I’ve even convinced a couple coworkers to order them, just by letting them fool around with mine a bit on their breaks.

How's Saturn emulation? I mostly want to try out some RPGs, especially Shining Force 3. I literally stopped playing videogames when the Saturn and PlayStation were announced and it's the only system I haven't been able to try out through emulation yet.