Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

jiggerypokery posted:

I went with an s20 ultra? I hope that it will be ok

Aside from having a reasonably powerful processor the Pixel 6 is a complete piece of poo poo, so you made the right decision. The camera is far from impressive, it's mostly just a bunch of filters that there doesn't seem to be a way to disable. No phone is going to substitute for a DSLR, but the P6 seems especially egregious to me because the pictures it takes are processed to be so far from reality.

e - also it has to be the worst smartphone camera ever at focusing. I've taken probably 100+ squared up shots of pieces of paper since I got it and MAYBE 10% of them are properly focused. It's impressively bad.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've gotten really tired of my OnePlus phone (Verizon, USA) occasionally deciding to not receive text messages for days at a time, particularly from iPhone users.

I really liked the Nord N100 because it had a huge battery and an only slightly intrusive manufacturer overlay on Android (because honestly all I really want is a phone that can do normal phone things and check Discord and I don't care about all these new display and camera improvements), but it looks like I'm going to have to switch, and OnePlus seems to have really gone down in the pubic estimation.

Is there an option for a plain-Jane, workhorse Android phone these days, that reliably picks up text messages, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and get an iPhone?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW I have a DSLR and an iPhone 13 Pro, and as far as well-exposed shots go, 9 times out of 10 the 13 Pro takes as good as, if not a better image than the DSLR. Sure, if you zoom in down to the pixels, the 13 Pro will be noisier, but in practice people don't ever do that. A DSLR will obviously be superior when it comes to getting creative with focal lengths and long exposure, plus the images resulting will allow for more editing before looking distorted. But for just every day shooting or even just having a camera on you at all times, the 13 Pro is honestly comparable in quality. Night mode obviously can't compare to long exposure and HDR techniques with a tripod, but I predict in a few more years it might compare.

My only complaint is that iPhones tend to over-process the images which sometimes requires me to undo that a bit in editing, but they're getting better and are often very close to how I would have edited them anyway.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

Aside from having a reasonably powerful processor the Pixel 6 is a complete piece of poo poo, so you made the right decision. The camera is far from impressive, it's mostly just a bunch of filters that there doesn't seem to be a way to disable. No phone is going to substitute for a DSLR, but the P6 seems especially egregious to me because the pictures it takes are processed to be so far from reality.

e - also it has to be the worst smartphone camera ever at focusing. I've taken probably 100+ squared up shots of pieces of paper since I got it and MAYBE 10% of them are properly focused. It's impressively bad.

My experience with the Pixel 6 is the complete opposite, as well as all the major reviews on the subject. It seems like you might have got a particularly faulty phone or something.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Or the reviewers are shills and the Pixel 6 is just a poo poo design. And I'm 100% certain that's the case.

No one intending to make an actually good phone would have put that camera bump or a front fingerprint sensor. The P6 was very clearly not even a serious attempt at making a good phone. I can't explain why, but it's very obviously the case.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 2, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

Or the reviewers are shills and the Pixel 6 is just a poo poo design. And I'm 100% certain that's the case.

No one intending to make an actually good phone would have put that camera bump or a front fingerprint sensor. The P6 was very clearly not even a serious attempt at making a good phone. I can't explain why, but it's very obviously the case.

It’s almost like it’s both you could have had a not good experience , and on the flip side the phone is fine for most people. Sorry for your bad luck.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My roommate has a Pixel 6 and it seems fine? The camera bump is obnoxious but he got a case that makes the back flat. It’s a little bulky and heavy I guess but nothing too crazy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's the go-to Android based phone with a decent display, minimal, if any bloatware (I loathe Samsung because of this) AND has a headphone jack? I use it outside so a bright display is really nice.

Not necessarily a cutting edge gaming phone or anything, it's mostly for work/internet browsing/email/light gaming but I would like a decent camera. Something quick and responsive would be nice. My Moto G is pretty good, but I don't care for the display and the charging is getting wonky and it seems to be quite a bit slower than I would like. The LCD and update support isn't ideal either.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

slidebite posted:

What's the go-to Android based phone with a decent display, minimal, if any bloatware (I loathe Samsung because of this) AND has a headphone jack? I use it outside so a bright display is really nice.

Not necessarily a cutting edge gaming phone or anything, it's mostly for work/internet browsing/email/light gaming but I would like a decent camera. Something quick and responsive would be nice. My Moto G is pretty good, but I don't care for the display and the charging is getting wonky and it seems to be quite a bit slower than I would like. The LCD and update support isn't ideal either.

Pixel 5a 5G maybe?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd say the Pixel 5a. Headphone jack, good camera, decent specs, and no bloatware. Does come with all the various google things like docs/gmail/photos/etc included, but you can just delete them if you don't use them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Can you still buy those new or do you need to troll used? Going to the Google store only the 6 shows as an option

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

slidebite posted:

Can you still buy those new or do you need to troll used? Going to the Google store only the 6 shows as an option

It shows an option for me. :confused:

https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_5a_5g?hl=en-US

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Probably because I'm :canada:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I was thinking, the main issue I want the headphone jack is so I can just plug it into my old 90s hifi receiver that is now in my garage for when I wrench.

They have inexpensive little Bluetooth dongle things I could use for that though right? I assume they're decent? If so I could ditch the headphone jack requirement.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

I was thinking, the main issue I want the headphone jack is so I can just plug it into my old 90s hifi receiver that is now in my garage for when I wrench.

They have inexpensive little Bluetooth dongle things I could use for that though right? I assume they're decent? If so I could ditch the headphone jack requirement.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B078J3GTRK/

I use this. Can't make any claims about sound quality, as I use it while on the treadmill, etc, but seems fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, that's the kinda thing. Thanks :)

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Looking for a ~5" screen device to replace a Samsung s7. Its a second phone that I use exclusively as an mp3/podcast/audiobook player. The S7 is fine for the most part, but I refuse to switch podcast apps, and I've loaded Doggcatcher with way too many feeds and it basically locks up the phone for minutes at a time when it updates. Its a dead app, so I should switch, but I refuse to, so I need a faster device.

Requirements:
Decently faster than S7
MicroSD
USB-C
Headphone Jack and BT
Waterproof
Sameish size to S7 (5"), really, smaller would be better
Available used under $250
Prefer it to be a phone for emergency purposes (not that there are many non-phone Android devices that fit other requirements)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
My Moto G Power (2020 model because Motorola loves confusing product names) is starting to show it's age. I've liked Motorola, I've used them for the past couple of phones, but apparently the new Moto G Power kind of sucks? I was looking at either the Moto G Stylus 5G or Nokia X100 as a replacement. I just want a relatively budget phone that doesn't have manufacturer bloat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm a longtime moto g user and just sprung for a pixel 6.

Yeah it's more money than I wanted but I figure if it lasts a couple years longer it'll be worth it.

Camera and screen are light-years past the G and much, much quicker.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Farecoal posted:

My Moto G Power (2020 model because Motorola loves confusing product names) is starting to show it's age. I've liked Motorola, I've used them for the past couple of phones, but apparently the new Moto G Power kind of sucks? I was looking at either the Moto G Stylus 5G or Nokia X100 as a replacement. I just want a relatively budget phone that doesn't have manufacturer bloat.

The main thing with Motorola is that their software support is absolutely abysmal. I bought two Motorola phones last year because I like the hardware and the minimal spin on Android, but ended up buying a Pixel 6 this year because I was tired of the endless lies that my Motorola One 5G Ace would get updated past Android 10 "soon." As of today, it is still stuck on Android 10, but the Motorola reps are saying that not only will it get Android 11, but it will also get Android 12. Yeah, right.

If you don't care about updates (Motorola frequently lags on security updates, too, despite only doing them every other month) then Motorola could meet your needs. I don't know how Nokia is about updates, but it's pretty much a given that they are better than Motorola.

Also, I don't know if the app you are using would be impacted by this, but you should be aware that Google is planning to remove apps from the app store if they fall behind too far. It's not slated to start until November, but it probably doesn't hurt to be aware of it:

https://www.androidpolice.com/play-store-hide-old-apps-api-security/

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The Pixel 6 is pretty expensive, and the X100 is apparently a T-Mobile exclusive :rolleyes:. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any recent budget phones that at least match my current Moto G Power (apparently the new Moto G releases are slower than before thanks to a worse chipset), so I might end up going for a Pixel 6 anyway. Ugh

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Farecoal posted:

The Pixel 6 is pretty expensive, and the X100 is apparently a T-Mobile exclusive :rolleyes:. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any recent budget phones that at least match my current Moto G Power (apparently the new Moto G releases are slower than before thanks to a worse chipset), so I might end up going for a Pixel 6 anyway. Ugh

The Pixel 5a 5G is pretty highly recommended, and the Pixel 6a is supposed to launch next month, so those are options beyond the Pixel 6. I strongly considered the 5a 5G myself but the specs are so close to the Motorola One 5G Ace I was moving away from that I had a hard time justifying what was spec-wise a sidegrade. The preliminary reports are that the Pixel 6a will have the cameras of the 5a but the processor of the 6, so it might be a less expensive but promising option.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

No headphone jack :(

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 15, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Farecoal posted:

No headphone jack :(

Ah, yeah, 3.5mm jacks are disappearing. I don't know if a USB-to-3.5mm adapter would work for your purposes, and haven't run into a situation where I've needed one myself. Now that I think about it I should probably get one just in case, just for the edge cases I very occasionally run into where connecting a phone to computer audio is helpful.

Edit: This spurred to go ahead and order an adapter just in case, so by next week I should at least have the option myself. $12.99 for an official Google USB-C to 3.5mm adapter at Best Buy, which is probably overkill but :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 15, 2022

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Don't deny yourself a better phone just for the headphone jack when a simple little adapter fixes the issue.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I have a Pixel 3+ that I would keep for another 3 years easily, but Google isn't supporting it anymore so I guess I need to move on.

I HATE Samsung's take on Android, or rather I did when I had an S3 but I don't think they've improved much considering they made Bixby since then.. so I'd like to keep away from that kind of bloated implementation from any manufacturer.

My requirements are waterproof resistant, and with a significant support window so I can keep the loving thing for a few years. I really enjoy the call screen function on my current phone and I'd like to keep that.. not sure if it's a pixel exclusive feature anymore.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Math You posted:

I have a Pixel 3+ that I would keep for another 3 years easily, but Google isn't supporting it anymore so I guess I need to move on.

I HATE Samsung's take on Android, or rather I did when I had an S3 but I don't think they've improved much considering they made Bixby since then.. so I'd like to keep away from that kind of bloated implementation from any manufacturer.

My requirements are waterproof resistant, and with a significant support window so I can keep the loving thing for a few years. I really enjoy the call screen function on my current phone and I'd like to keep that.. not sure if it's a pixel exclusive feature anymore.

Call screening stuff is pixel only.

Fyi if you are in the US some Carriers have high trade ins. Varies a bit.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have call screen on my Nokias though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Currently live where Pixels are not officially available, but the other usual suspects (Samsung, Oppo, OnePlus, etc) are. Currently have a OnePlus 7T that I got two years ago.

If software support and updates are my first priority and camera is my second, is it worth sticking with OnePlus for the 10 series or is it better switching to Samsung (assuming I go for something in the A or S series)? I haven't been too happy with Android 11's battery life on my 7T and my Samsung A42 5G work phone is already on Android 12 without any observed issues.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I dropped my galaxy s9 and the bottom part of the screen broke in the corner. It is a blemish, really, but I have decided that I would like a new phone. I don't give a poo poo about a camera or anything and I don't know if my plan can make use of 5g or whatever.

I am on the at&t unlimited plan and am sticking with that. I just want recommendations for a cheaper phone. I want something that I can throw in a life proof case and hopefully not worry about.

I do basic stuff on my phone (like shitpost, so I use basic apps such as reddit). I don't play games or anything like that.

The thing that I like about the s9 is that it is sleek and slim. But the whole made of glass thing is a double edged sword.

I tend to drop poo poo. I don't want the fanciest new poo poo. I want to stick with android. I would like to go cheap. I might consider getting the screen replaced if possible, but I am also having some charging issues, so I think that it is just time for a new phone. I've had this for about 3 years or so, so not a bad run.

Any recommendations? Basic, cheap, durable...?

Smartphone, about $300 or so? Location is 'merica

vandalism fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 22, 2022

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Okay, so I have a pixel 6. I really like it as a phone, but it's too big. It's been months and it's still annoying. I might downgrade to the five, which is still a bit bigger than I'd like but not the worst. The pixel 3 was a pretty good size, in my mind.

Is anyone making a good, small, stock Android phone.

I'm slightly tempted by the iPhone Mini, even though I'm mostly in the Google ecosystem. This last year finally got basically everything in my life on to usb C though and it's been great. Throwing in a different cable would be really annoying (although maybe not a dealbreaker as my phone day to day charging is wireless)

T.C. fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 23, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

T.C. posted:

Okay, so I have a pixel 6. I really like it as a phone, but it's too big. It's been months and it's still annoying. I might downgrade to the five, which is still a bit bigger than I'd like but not the worst. The pixel 3 was a pretty good size, in my mind.

Is anyone making a good, small, stock Android phone.

I'm slightly tempted by the iPhone Mini, even though I'm mostly in the Google ecosystem. This last year finally got basically everything in my life on to usb C though and it's been great. Throwing in a different cable would be really annoying (although maybe not a dealbreaker as my phone day to day charging is wireless)

The Pixel 6a is supposed to be out next month which should be a little smaller than 6. I've heard good things about the 5a 5G, too.

Small phones are getting fewer and farther between - the market has really tended toward phablets. Personally the 6 is a comfortable size for, but my last phone was the size of a Pixel 6 Pro and that was really on the edge of too big for me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The P5a is a completely superior phone to the P6 as long as you don't need the power of the P6 CPU. Make that move with confidence while you still can.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

K8.0 posted:

The P5a is a completely superior phone to the P6 as long as you don't need the power of the P6 CPU. Make that move with confidence while you still can.

The 5A appears to be the same size as the 6 though. The 5 is slightly smaller

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

vandalism posted:

I dropped my galaxy s9 and the bottom part of the screen broke in the corner. It is a blemish, really, but I have decided that I would like a new phone. I don't give a poo poo about a camera or anything and I don't know if my plan can make use of 5g or whatever.

I am on the at&t unlimited plan and am sticking with that. I just want recommendations for a cheaper phone. I want something that I can throw in a life proof case and hopefully not worry about.

I do basic stuff on my phone (like shitpost, so I use basic apps such as reddit). I don't play games or anything like that.

The thing that I like about the s9 is that it is sleek and slim. But the whole made of glass thing is a double edged sword.

I tend to drop poo poo. I don't want the fanciest new poo poo. I want to stick with android. I would like to go cheap. I might consider getting the screen replaced if possible, but I am also having some charging issues, so I think that it is just time for a new phone. I've had this for about 3 years or so, so not a bad run.

Any recommendations? Basic, cheap, durable...?

Smartphone, about $300 or so? Location is 'merica

Just in general, your S9 was a high end phone when it came out, so like, a comparable phone to it is technically a $500-800 phone.

A. Carriers are still in a mini price war, and ATT specifically is advertising a galaxy trade in. I would call them and see if they have a trade in for your S9. They’ve been doing trade ins even with damage. Main disclaimer is they’ll make you sign a 3 year contract for the trade in (but you might get $700 or $800 so could be worth it).

They also may or may not say you have to change your plan, which well that’s obviously up to you. Worth checking.

B. Outright price wise, $300 or lower you’re looking at Motorola. Which, they’re ok but you’re just not getting a consistent phone at that price. I’d probably recommend something like the Samsung A42 (or 52) for $400. You’re at least getting more reliable software updates , it is not made all of glass (but doesn’t do wireless charging) and is a big step up from the cheap phones.

C. Ew, Reddit

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

T.C. posted:

The 5A appears to be the same size as the 6 though. The 5 is slightly smaller

It's not the same size as a P6, it is a few mm smaller in each direction. I have both of them. Bigger than a P5 and a P3 though. If you want a relatively modern phone that isn't garbage hardware or garbage software, I don't think there's anything smaller.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So I'm looking for a new Android phone after my last one (Nokia 7 plus) crapped itself after 4 years of service. The main way I'm using it is watching movies/listening to music/podcasts and taking photos when on vacation, so I don't really need anything too beefy, though having enough battery to actually last for a day would be great. The camera doesn't really have to be the very best, as I was usually fine with what I had, though a small upgrade would be nice.

Size-wise, I'd really rather not have a bigger phone. I'm looking for something with Android 12 ideally (mainly for the longest update support possible). The very top of the budget-wise phones I was looking at was around Samsung S22 and Xiaomi 12, though I'm open to cheaper options. I'd rather keep the phone for as long as it's capable of as I'm not a frequent switcher (if it wasn't for the fact that the Nokia was resetting itself frequently and lately refused to turn on entirely, I'd still be probably using it for another year or two).

I'm based in :poland:, so it's possible not all recommendations will be viable (for example Google didn't sell Pixels directly and importers used to sell the 6 for like 50+% more than the S22/Xiaomi, though it's at comparable prices now; 5a doesn't seem to be available at all).

So, what phone am I looking at - Pixel 6, one of the mentioned ones, something else?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and as clean as possible Android is preferable, I used to have a Nexus 5x previously and that also impacted my choice of the Nokia.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 24, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

B. Outright price wise, $300 or lower you’re looking at Motorola. Which, they’re ok but you’re just not getting a consistent phone at that price. I’d probably recommend something like the Samsung A42 (or 52) for $400. You’re at least getting more reliable software updates , it is not made all of glass (but doesn’t do wireless charging) and is a big step up from the cheap phones.

As the owner of two current Motorola phones I feel compelled to point out that their software support is just incredibly bad, like hard to believe how bad it is. Do not believe anything they say about updates, especially not Android version updates. They only put out security updates once every 2 months, and they still frequently fall behind on those. They lag a year or more on Android version updates, or just renege on their promise to update phones at all. If you care about timely updates or an up to date phone then avoid Motorola.

This has apparently been the case since Lenovo acquired them. It's sad, because I really the like the phones themselves, but it is absolutely stunning how terrible the software support is.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3655737/android-12-upgrade-report-card.html?page=2#toc-4

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've got a moto g power that's showing its age. I can handle slow or it being meh but it's starting to be bad at being a phone.

Even though the new one is worse specs wise will it be more reliable ?

Is there anything that's even in performance but won't drop calls / fail to send texts etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
THanks for the advice my goon bros. Went in and traded my s9 for an s22 for the low low price of being a slave to AT&T for 3 more years. Kinda surprised, really. Traded in the phone iwth the slightly cracked screen, they gave me an s22, and my bill stayed exactly the same. If i leave before 36 months I have to pay the remainder of the phone's value. Not a bad deal tbh.