Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The one bit of executive meddling we do know about Spider-Verse (it's even on the wikipedia page for it) was positive. One exec fought to keep them from cutting down Gwen's role significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

The one bit of executive meddling we do know about Spider-Verse (it's even on the wikipedia page for it) was positive. One exec fought to keep them from cutting down Gwen's role significantly.

Oh, that's neat.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lobok posted:

Fair but I figure animation is harder to meddle in, other than at the beginning.

Tell that to Jeffrey Katzenberg.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

"At least the vulture looks cool"

-Sony exec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgYQZysINcM

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looking for “morbius theater reaction” clips and it’s scenes from the movie in clearly empty stadiums is loving hilarious.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

bushisms.txt posted:

"At least the vulture looks cool"

-Sony exec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgYQZysINcM

Ha ha ha ha wow.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
You know a movie is good when it's trending on Twitter and it's just people taking the opportunity to use April Fools to absolutely dunk on the film.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is that seriously the entire extent of Vulture showing up in this mess? :laffo: if so

I mean when have they ever?

haven't seen the movie yet, but as far as I can tell, the Keaton scenes are completely different from what was in the trailers and the character's role must have changed drastically in reshoots, because I guess Sony has no idea what the relationship of its Spider-adjacent films to the MCU or Spider-Man is supposed to be and is just making poo poo up as they go along.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Barry Convex posted:

haven't seen the movie yet, but as far as I can tell, the Keaton scenes are completely different from what was in the trailers and the character's role must have changed drastically in reshoots, because I guess Sony has no idea what the relationship of its Spider-adjacent films to the MCU or Spider-Man is supposed to be and is just making poo poo up as they go along.

This is almost definitely the case, yeah.

They shot a bunch of scenes with Keaton back when Morbius was wrapping up, and then out of nowhere in December announced reshoots with "more" Keaton, which now just appears to be the new stuff completely replacing the old.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.
It's been a minute since I've seen Homecoming but isn't Vulture's suit derived from Chitauri technology? And even if that isn't the case I think it was one of Toomes' gang that was building it and not him. So how does he get a new suit in the Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters? "Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters", as taken directly from Sony's website. As if that doesn't tell you Sony has no idea what they are doing.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
What poor Sony employee had to trawl through the list of C-list spider-man adjacent characters they had rights to to make movies about in this desperate effort to grab a chunk of MCU cash?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Blockhouse posted:

This is almost definitely the case, yeah.

They shot a bunch of scenes with Keaton back when Morbius was wrapping up, and then out of nowhere in December announced reshoots with "more" Keaton, which now just appears to be the new stuff completely replacing the old.

to elaborate slightly, it's pretty apparent from the trailers that Toomes was originally supposed to be from the same universe as Morbius. Whether this was meant to be a different version of Toomes from the one in Homecoming, or whether Keaton was playing the same Toomes and we were meant to infer that the film sorta-unofficially took place in the MCU (and by that I mean that Sony presumably wouldn't have been allowed to reference any MCU characters or continuity outside the Spider-Man films), I obviously don't know, though my guess is the latter.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Noone who works at Sony has seen a movie, let alone a spider-man movie in all their life.

They’ve just heard a few of them through a thick wall and guessed the rest.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This thing sounds like a trainwreck. I just saw someone I follow describe it as "2/3rds Gay Panic movie from the 80s and 1/3rd missing footage."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

So I guess we know that Toomes was estranged from his family after Homecoming then if he doesn't give even a little poo poo about being in a different universe from them now.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

theironjef posted:

So I guess we know that Toomes was estranged from his family after Homecoming then if he doesn't give even a little poo poo about being in a different universe from them now.

Sandman's definitely a better dad.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

CheshireCat posted:

It's been a minute since I've seen Homecoming but isn't Vulture's suit derived from Chitauri technology? And even if that isn't the case I think it was one of Toomes' gang that was building it and not him. So how does he get a new suit in the Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters? "Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters", as taken directly from Sony's website. As if that doesn't tell you Sony has no idea what they are doing.

Clearly it's an unfilmed scene where he breaks into Oscorp and steals the Vulture suit they have there.

I'm honestly willing to bet that they came up with this idea for a scene but weren't able to secure Keaton for actually filming the scene, and someone just went "Wait! We can just use a CGI Vulture suit and some ADR! and nobody thought any further than that.

theironjef posted:

I could buy that being separated from his family as some motivation for him being pissed off and wanting to keep doing bad things and being pissed at Spider-Man, but it's also very clear that nobody at Sony gives any sort of poo poo.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 1, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

This thing sounds like a trainwreck. I just saw someone I follow describe it as "2/3rds Gay Panic movie from the 80s and 1/3rd missing footage."

Yeah it feels like most of the first act is just gone. Like all the character relationships are barely developed. Matt Smith's character has zero backstory or explanation of anything about him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Arist posted:

I want to say that it's like what the Venom movies would be like if you removed 80% of the fun. Venom is a bad movie that somehow becomes a great movie because Tom Hardy gives it 110%. Smith's Milo is in that league, but he only gets so much screentime.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah it feels like most of the first act is just gone. Like all the character relationships are barely developed. Matt Smith's character has zero backstory or explanation of anything about him.

Gavok posted:

I want to say that it's like what the Venom movies would be like if you removed 80% of the fun. Venom is a bad movie that somehow becomes a great movie because Tom Hardy gives it 110%. Smith's Milo is in that league, but he only gets so much screentime.

Oh, drat.
I feel bad for Matt Smith. I don't follow his career that close, but I have the impression he always tries to be in big action Hollywood movies but somehow ends up in the bad ones.
(Last night in Soho was good, I'm talking stuff like the Terminator movie).

And yeah, what saves Venom is indeed Tom Hardy's performance. It's bad, but you are entertained by how they don't mind going full silliness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also had a big chuckle when at the beginning they flash back to child Morbius with "25 years earlier" like yeah, sure 25 years earlier when he was a grown rear end man.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sony should just make Morbius 2: Loxias Crown, and move on from there. Dump Leto for Smith, get a nice fun vampire bad guy story. I'm sure he dies in it, but whatever, he's a comic book vampire, there's nothing more resilient to permanent death.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Morbius 2: Morebius

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh, drat.
I feel bad for Matt Smith. I don't follow his career that close, but I have the impression he always tries to be in big action Hollywood movies but somehow ends up in the bad ones.
(Last night in Soho was good, I'm talking stuff like the Terminator movie).

Thinking of Who's in major comic book stuff, Ecclesson got fuuuuuuucked with Thor 2, Tennant was really good in JJ, and Capaldi was fun in Suicide Squad.

So could be better, could be worse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Who is Jodi Whittaker going to play then?

Ooh, i got it Morgana Le Fey or Saturnine! X-men 1 - Brood, X-men - 2 Otherworld/Excaliber stuff, X-men 3 inferno.

No Phoenix Saga, none at all, Shi'iar can appear though, space birb jerks would be fun to see. X-men is a lot like Batman, Fox seems to have seen the "top 5 x-men stories ever" from 2000 and just decided to do like the top 3 mashed together over and over.

My MCU Pitch for X-men is that Mutants have existed though all time, Apocalypse existed in Ancient Egypt for example, but for the most part they have been a percent of a percent of a percent of a percent of a percent of the population, so maybe there might be ONE on the entire earth. But recently, there have been more being born. In the 90s there was a small explosion of mutants, but they were very small in numbers still. Charles and Erik had been partners for a while at this point, finding the few mutants that existed. Most where either unconcerned with anything but themselves like Logan, but some joined them at Xaviers Westchester mansion. But as I said, there suddenly was a small boom of mutant births, still only a handful around the world, but Xavier had completed his first Cerebro so they were able to track them down. They brought these young people back because they either willingly went, or were driven away or already in hiding. There's your first X-men team, by having it be international, you can have more than just Scott, Jean, Hank, Warren and Bobby. And Xavier had contact with Fury, who was fully aware of Mutants and between them they kept it under wraps. Kid born in Kentucky that flew out of a mine? No, he crawled out it was just the trauma of surviving a mine collapse made people see things that made them think he was flying. What a fuzzy blue dude that can teleport? Okay and Bigfoot is my uncle. Very MIB style controlling the information out there.

But there was a schism between Charles and Magneto sometime in the 2000s where Erik took the more radical Mutants and formed his brotherhood and Charles founded his school. Using his family money, his powers and friendship with Fury, it all just seemed like it was on the surface, a school for special kids.

That's all just idle wishlisting at best, but the core is no retreads of well retrod territory. X-men is a massive franchise that has been around for 60 loving years and has hundreds of characters and dozens of them are massively popular, but the focus is always on just this very small group. One of the things that has been so great about the MCU is they haven't been beholden to the expected stories. They never really did Demon in a Bottle for Iron Man, the Winter Soldier story is completely different. They take elements of the stories that people loved and made something that was both familiar but also unique. I think thats the real strength of the MCU is Feige and the rest really know why people love these characters, and why they've been relevant to those reading the comics for so long. I think this is also why Eternals was such a hard sell because they were never popular, they were always seen as one of Kirby's lesser creations. And no one has ever had any real love for the characters. And unlike Guardians, which is probably their first big gamble, it wasn't a fun action sci-fi romp. Rocket, Drax, Star-Lord, Groot and Gamora have more charisma individually than all the Eternals combined times a thousand. No matter hot crazy hot Gemma Chen is, it was never going to be an easy sell.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

CheshireCat posted:

so close to being aconymed SPUMCO

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Some of the plot points in Morbius really don't make sense. Like, why the gently caress is the boat he's doing research on with his girlfriend that is paid for by his best friend full of armed mercenaries?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Some of the plot points in Morbius really don't make sense. Like, why the gently caress is the boat he's doing research on with his girlfriend that is paid for by his best friend full of armed mercenaries?

Nobody else was willing to stop in bat country.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thinking of Who's in major comic book stuff, Ecclesson got fuuuuuuucked with Thor 2, Tennant was really good in JJ, and Capaldi was fun in Suicide Squad.

So could be better, could be worse.

Oof, they indeed did Ecclesson so wrong.

So far we have 2 out of 2.
What other Doctors come next?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The vampire stuff in Morbius is just weird in general. Like all he does is make an injection that gives the genes that would allow a human to generate an anti coagulant and this somehow turns him into a magic transforming vampire man. There needed to be some kind of extra step in that process to super science it up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The only thing I need to know about the movie is how often does Morbius say he needs plasma.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eccleston was in Heroes and GI Joe. The Malekith role was appropriate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Madkal posted:

The only thing I need to know about the movie is how often does Morbius say he needs plasma.

They introduce artificial blood at the beginning of the movie and so he spends the entire movie talking about that and also it is kind of a teal color so everybody calls it "the green"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Desperado Bones posted:

Oof, they indeed did Ecclesson so wrong.

So far we have 2 out of 2.
What other Doctors come next?

If we're only counting New Series Who, you've got John Hurt in Hellboy 1 (& a cameo in 2), and Jo Martin in a very bit part in Batman Begins

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aphrodite posted:

Eccleston was in Heroes and GI Joe. The Malekith role was appropriate.
From what I remember he was good in Heroes

I still haven't seen Thor 2

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

so everybody calls it "the green"

:10bux:
:420:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Morbius 2: More BS

I mean it was right there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They introduce artificial blood at the beginning of the movie and so he spends the entire movie talking about that and also it is kind of a teal color so everybody calls it "the green"

You had one job.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing is that despite it being the entire thing the movie revolves around they don't even bother coming up with a fake name for whatever disease Morbius has. It definitely feels like it accidentally fell into the edit hole that the other plot points went into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

So you're saying he wants to feed on something green?