Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Slightly surprised to see the oil & gas province jump on the nuclear energy bandwagon:

4 provinces push ahead with plan to build small nuclear reactors to supply power:
“Saskatchewan, Ontario, New Brunswick and Alberta have released their strategic plan to expand the nuclear industry through the development of small modular reactors (SMR). (…) While a conventional nuclear reactor generates about 1,000 megawatts of energy, SMRs generate between 200 and 300 megawatts — enough to power about 300,000 homes.”

Apparently 20% of the worlds uranium production comes from Saskatchewan.

Given the current situation with Germany loving around and finding out re: pipelines vs. nuclear this seems like a good plan. I believe Ontario is already about 60% nuclear powered though so maybe fill in with more renewables? Eh.
I assume these SMRs can be built far faster than a full-scale plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Suncor with a combination tailings pond / nuclear waste containment pool sounds like a nightmare scenario

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ARACHTION posted:

Hey has anyone tried Tomahawk chips? Found en at no frills and was like wtfffff with the packaging and brand name, but apparently they’re native owned?

I highly recommend reading the book 'Rez Rules' by Chief Clarence Louis. He has some great things to say on humor, logos, imagery, and what not, as well as Indigenous businesses, among all sorts of other topics.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Fidelitious posted:

Given the current situation with Germany loving around and finding out re: pipelines vs. nuclear this seems like a good plan. I believe Ontario is already about 60% nuclear powered though so maybe fill in with more renewables? Eh.
I assume these SMRs can be built far faster than a full-scale plant.

It's a way for Saskatchewan and Alberta to pretend they're doing something without actually doing anything. There's only one SMR in existence anywhere in the world. They're decades away from feasibility. Both provinces would be far better off funding solar and wind, being some of the sunniest and windiest places in the world, but everyone knows they won't do that.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Canada is a real country with a serious media establishment.

https://twitter.com/jamespmcleod/status/1509581554112241665

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HackensackBackpack posted:

:whitewater:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ahahaha nothing has ever been so cursed

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
*unzips pants* Welp, time for the ol' Invisible Hand of Ayn Rand!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Jesus Christ

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Why are Margaret Thatcher's eyes trying to escape her head? Other than them wanting nothing to do with the ur-ghoul either?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Randalor posted:

Why are Margaret Thatcher's eyes trying to escape her head? Other than them wanting nothing to do with the ur-ghoul either?
It took me a moment to realize those are her earrings.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

It’s actually on brand because for some reason nfts are bathroom stall level of artistic talent

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well usually it's because they're computer generated so you can make a bunch of them really fast to support your grift auction. This is an interesting intersection of "clearly all custom made" and "still looks like absolute dogshit".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I die a little inside whenever I see a really talented artist going hard into NFTs; or heck, any content creator.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What about this artist?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

What about this artist?

A man’s gotta eat…

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Good news, the Calgary Police have finally found a reason to take racism seriously!

https://twitter.com/calgarypolice/status/1509681841845932044?s=21

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

Good news, the Calgary Police have finally found a reason to take racism seriously!

Meanwhile... elsewhere in Alberta (linked for literal white supremacist propaganda)

(as an aside, I find it suspicious that people in Alberta, of all places, wouldn't know what the Holodomor is. Canada is one of the few countries acknowledging it as a genocide and there's a memorial day every year.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jason Nixon, a loving liar who lies, got scolded like a child after throwing a fit

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChadOhman/status/1509765225569869828

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

PT6A posted:

Wow, we will totally get right on finding this evil perpetrator. This is definitely the most vicious hate crime that has ever been done in Calgary.

We're gonna tackle those swastikas and white supremacy posters right after this, believe me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Did not expect the Holodomor to be a wedge issue for white supremacists. Though in retrospect, maybe that shouldn't be surprising.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Nah needing to emphasize that the Communists did a Holocaust too and they're just as bad as the Nazis and in fact worse because they're still around is a staple of conservative thought from the extreme right to the currently governing conservatives

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Oh I think I misunderstood that poster. Never mind!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

Nah needing to emphasize that the Communists did a Holocaust too and they're just as bad as the Nazis and in fact worse because they're still around is a staple of conservative thought from the extreme right to the currently governing conservatives

I hadn't considered that angle of it. I just assumed it was more "no one ever talks about bad things happening to white European people" garbage.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Someone's getting a head start on their re-election campaign:

https://twitter.com/francoislegault/status/1509880573980037126

Sadly, only a few replies are reminding readers of recent CAQ malfeasance.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

eXXon posted:

plus any real leafs fan hates the leafs

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/qaomene/status/1510046039805501440?s=20&t=OqPdHNpGK9AVzMIGymmksw

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Lol that’s an expensive repair

I hope he cranked it after

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Diesel handles are usually yellow and you can see the yellow hose for the diesel on the other side of the pump.

The more likely explanation is that he is a loving clown who fucks up even the most basic tasks.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Its not diesel. He's just an idiot loser.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Might be a diesel truck and he put gasoline in.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

When he switched to provincial politics there were rumours that he had never driven a truck before and kind of hated it but was trying to prove how Albertan he was

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

eXXon posted:

It looks about as natural as a dog wearing pants.

Nice brand new jersey that you will never wear again.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Indolent Bastard posted:

It looks about as natural as a dog wearing pants.

Nice brand new jersey that you will never wear again.

As April Fool's Day is over, I'm sure he won't.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Man, even though Eaton's doesn't exist anymore, they keep screwing up.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Goddamn Monsieur Eaton, figure it out.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Thank you carbon tax for bringing this comedy.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

This reference could be a test for whether someone is Canadian. Between The Sweater and Log Driver's Waltz the NFB really hit it off in 1979/1980.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
New Brunswick drops vaccination requirement for many health care employees

New Brunswick did really well in the early stages but I guess it's a race to the bottom now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Texts, emails show what Ottawa police told convoy organizers ahead of protest

quote:

I will have a definite plan for you tomorrow morning," read the officer's text to Eros.

The protest organizer responded by saying he was "so happy" police and organizers could work together, and the officer responded with "Absolutely!"

quote:

The next morning, Cyr-Pidcock tells Eros about the parking lot at Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton (RCGT) stadium on Coventry Road, which had been "secured" by police for convoy protesters coming from the east.

"You can start working on a shuttle for them," she wrote. "Almost done planning for the west convoy."

quote:

In the last communication between the two included in the court record, Cyr-Pidcock says: "The city let you stay there for almost two weeks. I think that was very generous. I will call you later tonight."

Oh, the city let them stay? Really? That's not how I interpreted that series of events.

quote:

University of Ottawa criminologist Michael Kempa said it is "pretty typical" for police to communicate with planned protests when they expect participants won't stay for a significant period of time.

That was still the expectation in late January for the National Capital Region Command Centre, which pooled municipal, provincial and federal information. The centre expected protesters would leave the city "no later than" Feb. 2.

"In this case, it would seem that the Ottawa police were attempting to work out an agreement," Kempa said.

"In exchange for promises for not staying for an extended period of time, the Freedom Convoy would be given certain spaces to organize themselves and ensure they had some form of control over their protest, on the expectation that they would leave after two or three days."

Right, so how did that work out?

I presume this officer is more likely to get a medalchallenge coin for this than so much as a week of paid administrative leave.