Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

https://i.imgur.com/lR2eyfc.mp4

Puppy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Meanwhile I'm on day 10 of isolation with kids who are on day 5, but at least my company got rid of Covid admin leave two weeks ago :)

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

California is shutting down one of their large testing labs. It really feels like everyone has just decided it's over now and tbh at least here case numbers have dropped p low.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

a) flipping adorable

b) our dog reacts the same way to anyone playing any sort of game that requires throwing something. He thinks that the only reason to throw something is for him to go fetch it.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1509898159924862984

Yeah, it pretty much is over. There may be another spike, who knows, but for now the worst is definitely behind us.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

saintonan posted:

but for now the worst is definitely behind us.

I mean, has no one seen a movie ever?

I hope it’s at least mutated itself into inefficient mortality but the long term effects of reinfection are pretty scary.

It’s wild how badly all our institutions failed and no one in power gives a poo poo.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I’m ashamed of you all falling for that April Fool’s poo poo about Hope Solo

Like she’d spend time with her kids

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Illinois has settled into this stable 1,100 new cases a day. Been like that for a few weeks now. Hospitalizations are ticking down a little. Deaths at about 20/day.

If it stays at these levels, it’s probably acceptable. I worry about a new variant that kicks everything into high gear again though. Need the vaccine for under 5 to get approved already.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Really it is incredibly wild how many aspects of our society are extremely hosed up, how many of us recognize how hosed up they are, and how we mostly accept we will never be able to change them to be even slightly less hosed up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Manoueverable posted:

Really it is incredibly wild how many aspects of our society are extremely hosed up, how many of us recognize how hosed up they are, and how we mostly accept we will never be able to change them to be even slightly less hosed up.

Certainly helps put any of dozens of history books I've read into perspective

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Manoueverable posted:

Lee Carter said something on twitter to the effect of “we don’t have a government, we have three oil companies in a trench coat.”

Also, quasi-related:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1509553045910261762?s=21

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thank you for the input and kind words on my career stuff bros, appreciate it. Gonna talk it out with my fam at lunch today but I'm probably at least going to see how far I can get with an offer.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My fiancée works a grueling HR job at a tech company where she spends 14 hours a day (and often weekends!) writing reports and interviewing angry workers that are under investigation. It's been miserable for her and it's taken a huge toll on her health, both mentally and physically. Her last pay raise was pitiful with her boss saying "you should be happy you got anything at all. Other people in the company didnt get anything." I barely get to spend time with her and when I do she's just on edge.

Today she just got notice that the city government job she applied and interviewed for asked for references and contigent on the references and background check, she will be offered the role. Since it's a city job, hours are fixed and she won't have to work insane hours. I'm so fuckin glad.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hell yeah, work less, live more. The middle class dream.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

seiferguy posted:

My fiancée works a grueling HR job at a tech company where she spends 14 hours a day (and often weekends!) writing reports and interviewing angry workers that are under investigation. It's been miserable for her and it's taken a huge toll on her health, both mentally and physically. Her last pay raise was pitiful with her boss saying "you should be happy you got anything at all. Other people in the company didnt get anything." I barely get to spend time with her and when I do she's just on edge.

Today she just got notice that the city government job she applied and interviewed for asked for references and contigent on the references and background check, she will be offered the role. Since it's a city job, hours are fixed and she won't have to work insane hours. I'm so fuckin glad.

gently caress yeah, fingers crossed that she gets to tell those assholes to pound sand very soon

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

seiferguy posted:

Congrats! I have a friend who works for the city of Seattle and she loves it but she's also doing stuff related to child care. My partner also worked for Parks and Rec for a long time as a lifeguard and got some serious benefits.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

seiferguy posted:

Very happy and hopeful for your fiancé.

I haven't gotten into it here, but leaving my job did involve a post-happy hour blowout of me telling off our department boss (my boss's boss) at dinner with three of his employees and my wife. It was fine after a bit, but definitely an awkward start. At some point he asked if there was any reasonable amount of money that would have made me stay, and my wife (who was there as my sober ride) jumped in before I could even answer to say "no, I never see him and he works from home half the time I do, there isn't any amount of money that would make that worthwhile." That was when I knew I hadn't crossed any lines in my airing of grievances.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sorry, play post coming in hot!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Very happy and hopeful for your fiancé.

I haven't gotten into it here, but leaving my job did involve a post-happy hour blowout of me telling off our department boss (my boss's boss) at dinner with three of his employees and my wife. It was fine after a bit, but definitely an awkward start. At some point he asked if there was any reasonable amount of money that would have made me stay, and my wife (who was there as my sober ride) jumped in before I could even answer to say "no, I never see him and he works from home half the time I do, there isn't any amount of money that would make that worthwhile." That was when I knew I hadn't crossed any lines in my airing of grievances.

Honestly if I ever met my fiancée's boss, I would have laid into them how fuckin miserable the job was making them. I know it's not necessarily all the bosses' fault since the company culture is rotten, but it's at least enough that they should feel bad.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Congrats! I have a friend who works for the city of Seattle and she loves it but she's also doing stuff related to child care. My partner also worked for Parks and Rec for a long time as a lifeguard and got some serious benefits.

Yeah, she's gonna get a higher base salary too, just not stock bonus. No big deal. I forget what department she's in but either way, it's good. She's now gonna start using up all her personal and sick time that she doesn't get paid out if she leaves.

Freaquency posted:

gently caress yeah, fingers crossed that she gets to tell those assholes to pound sand very soon

I've told her to just do a giant list of grievances but all she wants to say is "I was told I would get promoted but didn't" which is 100% true, but also - she should just go scorched earth on the place.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Thank you for the input and kind words on my career stuff bros, appreciate it. Gonna talk it out with my fam at lunch today but I'm probably at least going to see how far I can get with an offer.

Even if you do take the interviews and such for the new position, you can always say no. It sounds like a clear ‘they need you more than you need them’ sort of situation. Which is nice to be in :unsmith:

At the very least it sounds like the place you just joined has seen potential and skill in you already, so both feel good about that and also keep that in mind.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

Hell yeah, work less, live more. The middle class dream.

I want that dream.

Give me livable monies on 32 hour work weeks babey.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Also take every Covid statistic with a grain of salt now that meaningful data collection has been axed.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I feel myself slipping away. The longer I stay in Western PA the more I become my birthright. I ordered a sandwich with french fries on it today. In a week I fear I may not recognize myself...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Get an altoona style pizza

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1509961011335335937

people are review bombing Moon Knight over the mention of the Aremenian genocide. Totally normal

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Intruder posted:

people are review bombing Moon Knight over the mention of the Aremenian genocide. Totally normal

I don't even remember it being mentioned in the first episode.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Greetings from Waikiki. If you ain’t rich, don’t come here. Holy poo poo.

On the plus side, we had delicious bulgogi and Korean fried chicken at a little hole in the wall place. So good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

swickles posted:

I feel myself slipping away. The longer I stay in Western PA the more I become my birthright. I ordered a sandwich with french fries on it today. In a week I fear I may not recognize myself...

What’s that short story about the family that moves to Mars and gradually becomes Martian? We read it in elementary school; I think it was about how colonialism takes as much of a toll on colonizers as the colonized, or something like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

General Dog posted:

What’s that short story about the family that moves to Mars and gradually becomes Martian? We read it in elementary school; I think it was about how colonialism takes as much of a toll on colonizers as the colonized, or something like that.

Red Planet by Heinlein maybe?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Braksgirl posted:

On the plus side, we had delicious bulgogi and Korean fried chicken at a little hole in the wall place. So good.

There are definitely a lot of not-rich people in Waikiki. You can find them living on the beach.

Also, congrats to everyone for getting promotions or getting out of hell jobs. Companies that tell employees they are lucky to get raises in this current environment are total idiots.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Intruder posted:

The lovely movie about it got review bombed too. Which is a shame because I wasted like 2.5 hours watching it after thinking it was probably better than its press.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Braksgirl posted:

Waikiki Beach is gorgeous, but it's really built up and feels really artificial. Honolulu is a cool town overall.

You gotta try to get fresh malasadas (donuts) at Leonard's bakery. Also had a great dinner at The Pig and The Lady and great drinks at Bar Leather Apron.

I miss that place, it was beautiful

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Braksgirl posted:

I honestly want to go back to Waikiki one of these days so I can look at the Ferrari store they had out there, if I hadn't been a student at the time I would've totally plunked down for one of those slick black leather jackets.

It is super expensive though, I will definitely agree with you there.

e: I definitely also felt like I didn't get as much opportunity to explore at night like I wanted to.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 2, 2022

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I don't even remember it being mentioned in the first episode.

the creepy scale tattoo guy says if his god was in charge there would be no hitler, armenian genocide, other terrible things. that's it. he's literally acknowledging it did happen and was horrible.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I proposed to my fiancée on the big island of Hawaii and aside from the obvious things like gas, some food, but otherwise it felt affordable, especially compared to Maui or Honolulu. I love that place.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

seiferguy posted:

Sorry, play post coming in hot!

Honestly if I ever met my fiancée's boss, I would have laid into them how fuckin miserable the job was making them. I know it's not necessarily all the bosses' fault since the company culture is rotten, but it's at least enough that they should feel bad.

At some point he was fighting tears and everyone else at the table was straining their necks to look away, but holy gently caress if it wasn't the most cathartic thing my wife and I have ever done. Most of his answers were blaming it being a big company, but whatever, at least he knew how I felt.

Also I talked to him the next day and he said it was rough, but what he needed to hear, so no burnt bridges.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Got an interview this week for the Fed job. Big jump in pay and benefits. Also nearly left my marriage again last week. My life is a land of contrasts.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Also, congrats to everyone for getting promotions or getting out of hell jobs. Companies that tell employees they are lucky to get raises in this current environment are total idiots.

Definitely. Just kinda empty quoting this one.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I enjoyed this track and I hope you do too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEoU6VbHs2c

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

lol if you're counting on any kind of Social Security being there when our generation hits retirement age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

For younger people coming along, we got to be able to find a way to balance these programs or we’re gonna find ourselves in a heap of trouble,” he said. He added that he was not in favour of raising taxes as a way of balancing the books, but was open to adjusting “long-term benefits not for current retirees”.

:rolleyes:

There’s your way, rear end.