Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Does anyone have a link to the Shin Godzilla interviews/info that talked about how Anno’s involvement changed the film, i.e. Anno slicing out romance and stuff like that? It was way earlier in the thread (unless I’m having a fever dream) and I haven’t been able to find it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Maxwell Lord posted:

While Godzilla IS very much a stand in for the bomb he also is a dinosaur and a dragon, and in some ways a victim. Akira Takarada (RIP) did say in an interview that when seeing the film for the first time, he cried at Godzilla's death, because to him, in the end he was an animal. That's just one interpretation, of course, you could also read Godzilla as actively malicious, but there's something very flexible in the central metaphor. Like there's no question that it's about the bomb and WWII and the Lucky Dragon, but the precise way it's about it is open to interpretation.

Return of Godzilla does the same thing too. By the end of the movie they have you feeling bad that he's getting dropped into Mt Mihara, even though the atmosphere of the film has gone back to that dour setting of the original. Even in the movie, Professor Hayashida says he feels bad for Godzilla and just wants to send it home

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was pretty sure this was going to be the case just based off the trailer but I wanted to wait and hear your thoughts.

I've seen lovely low budget "outsider art" scifi movies before and even supported a few on Kickstarter and those guys at least put their heart into it and did the best they could but I wasn't seeing any of that here. The scale model buildings in Uktena's suitmation scenes were so amazingly low effort I was nearly embarrassed on their behalf except I was pretty sure they sucked because they simply didn't give a gently caress.

Well said honestly. I've seen no budget movies or shorts that are made with love and attention and show it, Uktena as you said simply does not give a gently caress. A perfect example is his scale: he will be different sizes in different shots, sometimes as much as like a hundred foot difference. He has no consistent power (he'll struggle to crumble a small building one shot then smash a skyscraper with ease the next).

There's so little fucks given in the costuming too. In some shots you can see the actors shirt/bare skin. Uktena's movements are very clearly human, there's no effort to make him move like an inhuman creature. In some scenes you can see what is clearly "local halloween party store lizard spandex" where his scales are supposed to be. Nobody cared about this creature or this movie.

Which is a drat shame because Uktena's a cool design and the idea of a Native American god kaiju coming to get revenge on those who wronged his people is interesting, but wow it could not have been more hosed up

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

WRT Godzilla's nature I'm just going to quote myself from this circa 2018 post:

Mantis42 posted:

Godzilla has two natures joined in a single hypostasis. The first is the physical, mortal Godzillasaurus, the last of his kind (before the incarnation of Godzilla Jr). The second is the divine godforce, the unstoppable embodiment of the nuclear age. The flesh of Godzilla may be used to create new life, as in the G-Cells that made Biollante and Space Godzilla, or the skeleton that made Kiryu, but both of these lacked access to the divine Logos and thus aren't really Godzilla. Post Resurrection Godzilla of 1984, however, was the same being as the 1954 Goji and retained both natures.

Now there remains some debate among Goji-logians wrt the 1954 Gojira. Among the Heisei-anity community, it is orthodox to believe that the being the Odo Island natives referred to as "Godzilla" was merely a lowly Godzillasaurus until the underwater H-Bomb tests made him divine. Since this divinity is related to his embodiment of nuclear power, ipso facto he could not exist before man split the atom. For evidence they cite the film 'Godzilla vs King Ghidorah' which introduces the Godzillasaurus concept fully to the canon.

Hardline Showa-ists, however, dispute this notion. GvKG is a new testament work, which they do not adhere to. Instead, they claim that the 54 Godzilla always contained his divine nature and merely revealed himself to humanity when the time was right. Godzilla was not given Logos by man's hand, this is blasphemous. An atom undergoing fission always contained it's destructive power, long before Oppenheimer came along.

Then there are various millennariast sects that have their own interpretations, and the occidental church which everyone agrees is heretical.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Kvlt! posted:

Which is a drat shame because Uktena's a cool design and the idea of a Native American god kaiju coming to get revenge on those who wronged his people is interesting, but wow it could not have been more hosed up

I'd definitely watch Daimajin On the Prairie

edit. Or some conquistadors looking for Cibola getting wrecked by the slumbering god of the cliff dwellers

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Godzillas a big monster and he likes to roar

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Godzillas a big monster and he likes to roar

godzillas only roar when they are stressed

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I want this in the worst way, but oh man the price :negative:

https://coolprops.com/english/cpg-01-0001/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nodoze posted:

I want this in the worst way, but oh man the price :negative:

https://coolprops.com/english/cpg-01-0001/

The shipping is where they get you. Like, seriously goddamn that shipping is insane

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I can see why Russia might be a particular problem to ship to now, but why is Spain in the highest tier?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

wdarkk posted:

I can see why Russia might be a particular problem to ship to now, but why is Spain in the highest tier?

Somehow it’s the only European country it ships to.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Gripweed posted:

The problem is that Americans have never known the kind of existential fear that Japan did. We've never had our cities bombed. We don't know that kind of unstoppable destruction from a force beyond our control.
Even with 9/11 the fear wasn't that you and everyone you know will be wiped off the face of the earth, it was more like there is someone out there who you've never met who hates you and might one day fall out of the clear blue sky and kill you.
And even then, that one plane that we have to pretend crashed because hero passengers bum rushed the cockpit created an avenue for heroism. There was always the thought that you can fight back. There was never the helplessness you get in Godzilla.

I am not American, but if someone asks what an American version of 54 would be this is the main problem in my head. However, there might be options if you focus on the experience of a specific part of America rather than a homogeneous whole.

If we follow the logic of the original, then we are looking for an apocalyptic cataclysm that is the result of a series of serious sins and misdeeds - but once the cataclysm hits, it acts as a force of nature and makes no distinction between victims and perpetrator, innocent and guilty. Furthermore, it must be rooted in a human behavior which is truly evil and the monster should feel like something big and overpowering that makes you feel hopeless.

This may sound crude, but the only thing in recent American history that I can think of as an outsider is Hurricane Katrina. You've got institutionalized racism, economic displacement due to rampant capitalism, the consequences of climate change and the cruelty of a government that shows it simply doesn't care about its citizens in equal measures, combined with horrible destruction. Those are very real existential threats that hit parts of the population, and you could work with that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I am not American, but if someone asks what an American version of 54 would be this is the main problem in my head. However, there might be options if you focus on the experience of a specific part of America rather than a homogeneous whole.

If we follow the logic of the original, then we are looking for an apocalyptic cataclysm that is the result of a series of serious sins and misdeeds - but once the cataclysm hits, it acts as a force of nature and makes no distinction between victims and perpetrator, innocent and guilty. Furthermore, it must be rooted in a human behavior which is truly evil and the monster should feel like something big and overpowering that makes you feel hopeless.

This may sound crude, but the only thing in recent American history that I can think of as an outsider is Hurricane Katrina. You've got institutionalized racism, economic displacement due to rampant capitalism, the consequences of climate change and the cruelty of a government that shows it simply doesn't care about its citizens in equal measures, combined with horrible destruction. Those are very real existential threats that hit parts of the population, and you could work with that.

No this is all pretty spot on.

The problem when talking about America as a whole is that...okay basically think about addressing South East Asia as a whole.

Really doesn't work. Even small, relatively self contained countries like Japan itself run into this problem where they have different issues across different groups depending on where they were born/live and such. America is simply too large to throw a blanket over since we're basically fifty different countries living in a big clown tent as it is.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Massachusetts Godzilla: He is awakened by an endless stream of McGillicudy's Menthol nips in the harbor. He awakens to crush the cities of New York and Montreal.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Katrina was indeed a catastrophe (I was part of the relief effort) but the hurricane’s power wasn’t found in it’s fury and destruction. The true horror was in revealing the dark underbelly of man-made complacency, racism, and hubris. For a Godzilla film to tap into that, you’d have to focus less on the monster and more on the relief effort. Big G would literally be there for the prologue and that’s it. Pacific Rim’s sorta did this and we saw humanity’s response: create a new monster to fight the identified one. The difference, of course, is that you can’t kill the real monster of the Katrina Godzilla story without owning up to our own complicity.

But even Katrina, I’d say, is no Hiroshima (or the fire bombing of Tokyo) in terms of existential dread. America doesn’t have an analog that holds a candle to that. It’s been a long time since America has felt impotent to a threat from without.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Gripweed posted:

The shipping is where they get you. Like, seriously goddamn that shipping is insane

It's very large and, therefore I assume heavy as well, but 1000 dollars to the US is bonkers

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Makio0001/status/1509891531209342977

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

Massachusetts Godzilla: He is awakened by an endless stream of McGillicudy's Menthol nips in the harbor. He awakens to crush the cities of New York and Montreal.

Godzilla already hosed up mass in KOTM!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Deleted scene where Godzilla gets stuck under the bridge on Storrow Drive

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i mean americans basically spent like two decades making 9/11 films, it's not hard to extrapolate from there even if it is kind of funny (in a really grim way) that we were that traumatized as a nation by the slightest hint that we weren't invincible rather than, you know, the loss of most of a generation + mass destruction of infrastructure

although now i'm kind of wondering if there's something to be said about the great depression and WWII and then the glut of mad science monster movies in the 50s and the emphasis on hubris. i haven't really seen enough films from that era to have an informed opinion

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Godzilla 98 is exactly what americans deserve tbh, if for no other reason then the ending.

It ends with the main characters grieving with godzilla as they die. Zillas heartbeat slowly fades, the protags look genuinely sad

And then, as godzilla dies, the background crowd erupts in cheers

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Im not being hyperbolic, that moment when the crowd cheers is top 5 of discomforting experiences ive had while watching movies

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FooF posted:

Katrina was indeed a catastrophe (I was part of the relief effort) but the hurricane’s power wasn’t found in it’s fury and destruction. The true horror was in revealing the dark underbelly of man-made complacency, racism, and hubris. For a Godzilla film to tap into that, you’d have to focus less on the monster and more on the relief effort. Big G would literally be there for the prologue and that’s it.

Make the monster represent anger at the complacency instead of the catastrophe itself and you've described Shin Godzilla.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Im not being hyperbolic, that moment when the crowd cheers is top 5 of discomforting experiences ive had while watching movies

For all the faults of Godzilla '98, it does an amazing job of making the monster sympathetic and its death kinda tragic, a sense of something wondrous removed from the world because humanity couldn't coexist with it.

There's a reason that the last shot with the surviving egg, which in most other movies would be a sinister "the nightmare is over...or is it?" moment, has a tone more of hope and triumph.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That What To Do With A Dead Kaiju film was released in Japan back in early February, has anyone seen it or does anyone know when it'll be available outside Japan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3tZInmWStc

Also there's a super low budget Covid19-themed comedy Kaiju film coming out at some point called Tokusatsu Kigeki Ooki Yuuzou: Jinsei saidai no kessen (Yuzo the Biggest Battle in Tokyo) but I'm setting my expectations pretty low, it doesn't look great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScpNxoSNem4&t=1s

quote:

In the year 2020, the world is threatened by a new coronavirus. The impact of the virus is not only on health but also on the economy, and Yuzo Oki, who was enjoying his remote life, is easily laid off.

Somehow, he manages to find a new job, but what awaited him was a crazy group of people, including a money-grubbing president, a fitness instructor with no members, a garbage thief who only collects waste, a gambling salesman, and a man who stays inside a stuffed animal. However, after being pushed around by these selfish people, he gets desperate when he is dumped by his girlfriend.
Just then, a lifeform from outer space comes into contact with Yuzo's crazy co-workers and fuses with their madness, creating an explosion of energy that plunges the city into chaos. The only person who can save the city from this crisis is Yuzo. Having been thrown into the depths of disappointment, he now rises to the occasion.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That What To Do With A Dead Kaiju film was released in Japan back in early February, has anyone seen it or does anyone know when it'll be available outside Japan?

It appears to have an official English title now, which is a good sign. They wouldn't bother with that if they weren't thinking about an international release

Also there's a super low budget Covid19-themed comedy Kaiju film coming out at some point called Tokusatsu Kigeki Ooki Yuuzou: Jinsei saidai no kessen (Yuzo the Biggest Battle in Tokyo) but I'm setting my expectations pretty low, it doesn't look great

Now this looks like a job for SRS Cinema

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

CelticPredator posted:

One of my all time most surreal moments in a theater watching this one right down the street from Fenway Park and not knowing that it was going to be in the movie getting Godzillad

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

One of my all time most surreal moments in a theater watching this one right down the street from Fenway Park and not knowing that it was going to be in the movie getting Godzillad

I saw Godzilla: Final Wars on release in a crowded cinema here in Melbourne and when Godzilla body slammed GINO through the Sydney Opera House there was a massive cheer. :v:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

It appears to have an official English title now, which is a good sign. They wouldn't bother with that if they weren't thinking about an international release

In the meantime, here's Day Of The Kaiju:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQcFMFO944

It's the same premise, but functions like a prologue/epilogue to Shin Godzilla.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

What cultural tragedy would an American Godzilla movie tap into that would make it an effective metaphor in the same vein as G'54 and Shin Godzilla?

My immediate thought is 9/11 but then I realized we're 20 years removed from that. I can't imagine that would be a relevant trauma for even the most redneck populations oh wait it's Covid isn't it

Climate change? Maybe not specific enough but a few people brought up Katrina. That and Covid were the two things I thought of so maybe some combination of those.

Or Wil Smith slapping Chris Rock.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

For all the faults of Godzilla '98, it does an amazing job of making the monster sympathetic and its death kinda tragic, a sense of something wondrous removed from the world because humanity couldn't coexist with it.

There's a reason that the last shot with the surviving egg, which in most other movies would be a sinister "the nightmare is over...or is it?" moment, has a tone more of hope and triumph.

Godzilla is pretty much faultless for anything in it, its basically just looking for food and humans happen to be in the way. And of course, the final act is them just reacting in rage at thier children being murdered.

This coupled with how gleeful the helicoptor and military folks are at accidently shooting covilian building during the chase sequence makes it really clear to me we are supposed to be rooting for godzilla, and its a true tragic ending.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The 'dome long determined that Man of Steel is the American kaiju film about 9/11, complete with audiences completely losing their minds over the proposition and being unable to come to terms with it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Picked up the Criterion Godzilla set (it really is insanely large) and the original film still holds up so well, they absolutely nailed the sound design right from the start and the elemental dread is so good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Picked up the Criterion Godzilla set (it really is insanely large) and the original film still holds up so well, they absolutely nailed the sound design right from the start and the elemental dread is so good

In the time it was common in Japan to do all the sound for a movie in post. So when the director of Godzilla watched the assembly cut it had no sound, and he was convinced that his career was over and the movie was unsalvageable.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rewatched Godzilla vs. Megalon last night. It's honestly one of my favs. There's the weird Seatopia dudes in togas. Megalon is a fun bastard with his little hops, and Gigan shows up for the tag team final battle that is literally the definition of "kaiju WWE"

Jet Jaguar's a lot of fun too. Does he have any connection to Ultraman? Maybe it's just semi-similar costuming.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

Rewatched Godzilla vs. Megalon last night. It's honestly one of my favs. There's the weird Seatopia dudes in togas. Megalon is a fun bastard with his little hops, and Gigan shows up for the tag team final battle that is literally the definition of "kaiju WWE"

Jet Jaguar's a lot of fun too. Does he have any connection to Ultraman? Maybe it's just semi-similar costuming.

JJ is very much inspired by Ultraman, but in a kind of unique way

The designer was approached about having an Ultraman-like hero in the movie, and he scoffed at this because those were so common place, so over saturated, he didn't think he could do something new with it.

And then he said 'let me make him as ugly and garish as possible' and they said yes so he did

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the meantime, here's Day Of The Kaiju:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQcFMFO944

It's the same premise, but functions like a prologue/epilogue to Shin Godzilla.

Serious pro-click right here.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

The 'dome long determined that Man of Steel is the American kaiju film about 9/11, complete with audiences completely losing their minds over the proposition and being unable to come to terms with it.

It's pretty loving crazy that the big secret fear at the heart of Americans is apparently that a technologically superior group of people will suddenly turn up and colonize their poo poo and they'd be totally helpless and unable to stop them
It's not like Man Of Steel was alone in that either, it runs through a whole lot of films like ID4 and The Day The Earth Stood Still etc etc etc

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

It's pretty loving crazy that the big secret fear at the heart of Americans is apparently that a technologically superior group of people will suddenly turn up and colonize their poo poo and they'd be totally helpless and unable to stop them
It's not like Man Of Steel was alone in that either, it runs through a whole lot of films like ID4 and The Day The Earth Stood Still etc etc etc

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's called Invasion Literature and started in Britain in the late 1800s. The War of the Worlds is a famous early example but there are tons of other forgotten novels from before that about thinly-disguised Germans conquering England