Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I’m going wireless shifting on this bike so I removed the cable guide that would be there for mechanical shifting…is there any way to cover this opening? Seems like an easy ingress point for dirt and poo poo

if anything, it's a way for water to drain out

e: beaten, AND a bad snipe :negative:

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

BraveUlysses posted:

I’m going wireless shifting on this bike so I removed the cable guide that would be there for mechanical shifting…is there any way to cover this opening? Seems like an easy ingress point for dirt and poo poo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Get your bike shop to make you a custom carbon fiber skid plate, held in with neodymium magnets

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Hadlock posted:

Get your bike shop to make you a custom carbon fiber skid plate, held in with neodymium magnets

Or just use the existing plate and fill the holes with sugru or epoxy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

osker posted:

Or just use the existing plate and fill the holes with sugru or epoxy.

Trap sprung, killjoy spotted

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Shadowhand00 posted:

Without a dynamo on my current rig, I'm have more anxiety around carrying enough lights as well as enough batteries to ensure I can make it home without issue. With my dynamo, I literally never had to worry.

I'm still thinking about getting a custom wheel built up by next year but $$$$ and the guy who used to build my wheels has retired from all bike things.

You can just mail order prebuilt or custom wheels with the good hubs (H plus Son) from the UK.
Certainly thecycleclinic.co.uk have options.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SamsCola posted:

Is a dynamo hub worth it compared to a battery? I guess it's better for long rides?

IT DEPENDS

dynamos (technically generators but whatever) hubs are generally more money up front (and can be fickle to maintain), and can't reach the brightness levels I'd be comfortable with nowadays but the convenience is just unbeatable.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Hmm perhaps I should have gotten around to replacing these pulleys earlier!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao wow!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Angryhead posted:

Impressive.

Good news is the teeth don't do much.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Angryhead posted:

They last a lot longer if you clean them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What do you guys like to lube the little axle bushes on those wheels with?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I use tenacious oil. Maybe a heavy gear oil is good if you have that laying around.

e: I guess a bunch of internet people use very light oil, but that'll dry out fast.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 2, 2022

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Just give it a spray of WD-40 before every ride like the people that owned every used bike I've ever bought did

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Slavvy posted:

What do you guys like to lube the little axle bushes on those wheels with?

I pop off the cover and seals and put a tiny dab of ceramic grease and move it around.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dog Case posted:

Just give it a spray of WD-40 before every ride like the people that owned every used bike I've ever bought did

Every used bike I get (all of them) I take apart basically everything cause nothing is ever lubed. Those little wheels are often packed with crap and metal dust.

I've been using liquid suspended moly grease/oil, I've tried heavy gear oil before and found it washes out easily (this is on MTB obv), I've tried bearing grease but it seemed to be too thick and just kinda got pushed out without doing anything.

Seems like I'm not doing anything too wrong anyway.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I pop off the cover and seals and put a tiny dab of ceramic grease and move it around.

I always liked how SRAM throws in a relatively huge syringe full of the stuff with Red pulleys.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lmao lost my stages battery cover and battery during a ride and wasted 45 minutes trying to find it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BraveUlysses posted:

Lmao lost my stages battery cover and battery during a ride and wasted 45 minutes trying to find it

New battery and electrical tape will save you my friend.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just buy a new one at that point, they're like 3 bucks or something

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

serious gaylord posted:

New battery and electrical tape will save you my friend.
I might recommend self fusing silicon tape for that job. It's waterproof, zero residue, and pretty robust.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Anyone have any recommendations for a mini bike pump with an integrated CO2 inflator and hose function? Bonus points for including a mount to go under/next to a bottle cage.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Blackburn Co2fer

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

EvilJoven posted:

Blackburn Co2fer
That looks like it fits the bill, thank you :tipshat:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Anyone have experience with the Garmin IQ virtual power meter (https://apps.garmin.com/en-RO/apps/dce959f6-1848-46b1-b80b-6b080940ebb7) or any virtual power meter really?

I don't think a real power meter is a purchase I could justify to myself anytime in the foreseeable future, so when I saw the the Vpower app in the store, which claims to use the same formula as Strava to calculate wattage, I thought score. Strava's estimates aren't scientific by any means but they're at least a decent weathervane.

I've done a few test rides with it now, and I'll be on a level road going a steady 15mph and this thing will be jumping all over the place, giving an estimate of 40 watts one second, jumping up to 170 the next, then back down to 20 and so on. It does this whether I've set it to provide instant estimates as well as estimates in 3/5/10 second intervals. I've also messed around with the calibrations for rolling resistance, bike weight, etc. Same problem. It'll read 0 watts when I'm at a dead stop so I know it's measuring something at least. This is true for my both my Edge 130 and my Vivoactive 3.

Has anyone had any luck in getting this or any other virtual power meters to work?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

No, because they’re garbage

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

yeahhh thats what I thought thanks

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Here's a tip: I finally got mad that I'm always bending over squinting at side-walls and wrote out all the tire pressures I use and taped it to the wall of my garage.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I keep a spreadsheet with tire pressures and also suspension settings.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i have a little dry erase board in my garage full of Important Numbers that I ignore and do everything based on feeling anyway

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I finally got mad that I'm always bending over squinting at side-walls
Don't listen to what tire manufacturers publish. Become ungovernable.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I just squeeze the tire and if it feels good it's right.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I just memorize the numbers (because there are 2, maybe 4 if I'm riding my other bike) that I need to know from the calculators.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I just squeeze the tire and if it feels good it's right.

Hell yeah.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I just ride my bike until I go

"Huh, probably should pump it up aye"

Then act shocked that it was at 40 psi from 80psi

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I rode my bike to work today after getting it back from the shop (broken crank somehow!) and one thing I'm noticing is I can to like cran/bend my neck up quite a bit to see straight ahead. Does this imply I'm leaning too far forward?

I feel like the bike seat height is good for my leg length, so maybe I should consider raising the handle bars?

Another question, I didn't wear my Fitbit today but google suggests between "450 to 750 calories burned per hour of biking, seems like my total commute time in a day is 3 hours. But there's a number of times where I'm able to coast a bit after fierce uphill periods. Does the uphill and cruising periods sorta average out? How many calories should I think I'm burning?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Raenir Salazar posted:

I rode my bike to work today after getting it back from the shop (broken crank somehow!) and one thing I'm noticing is I can to like cran/bend my neck up quite a bit to see straight ahead. Does this imply I'm leaning too far forward?

Need a picture, but more likely that you're not used to the posture.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I can almost guarantee you are bending more at your back instead of waist. When you feel fresh try to focus on flattening your back a little.

It's not clear from your post if you were okay with this bike before or how long you went without riding, but it is possible you lost some of your core fitness/strength.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I should have *more* core strength now because all winter I've been exercising, weight lifting, seeing a personal trainer, and also using the bike as a stationary. The main difference is as a stationary I'm sitting more straight up on the seat but outdoors I'm putting my weight forward because it feels like I go faster. Which I think follows from my earlier observations in the thread with the tennis elbow issue. I don't feel any issues with my elbows biking outside because I'm more naturally bending forward which bends my elbows more while as a stationary I'm sitting straighter or leaning back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Did you make any changes as a result of the trip to the fitters