Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Dropped a couple of videos about them into my playlist, they came up recently as they have new bass amps out.

I live in a flat so I'm not sure if I should look at new amps, I have a 40(?) watt one from my starter pack but apparently 10-15 is plenty for the home, so could maybe look at something better but smaller.

I guess what should I be looking at to go beyond practice on Rocksmith? I'm looking at first pedal vids, considering new guitars or pickups for one I have.

Are there amps out there good for both 6 string and bass?

My dude, 1 watt (tube anyway) is more than enough in an apartment. Any small modelling amps seem to be the beginner recommendation at the moment, but I'd make sure whatever you get has a decent headphone out for apartment living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I forgot I got an mxr carbon copy so I already had a delay. I'm out of control.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BizarroAzrael posted:

Dropped a couple of videos about them into my playlist, they came up recently as they have new bass amps out.

I live in a flat so I'm not sure if I should look at new amps, I have a 40(?) watt one from my starter pack but apparently 10-15 is plenty for the home, so could maybe look at something better but smaller.

I guess what should I be looking at to go beyond practice on Rocksmith? I'm looking at first pedal vids, considering new guitars or pickups for one I have.

For apartment living, check out the Fender mustang micro and a nice set of headphones.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i did want to update everyone and say that school has definitely helped me be able to write music more. i’m not even taking guitar, but just looking at stuff in rudimentary theory and learning about cadences and chord progressions, it’s kind of clicked in my head how to actually develop music and stick sections together.

i realize now that it’s less about having a lot of different ideas than it is having the spark, or the theme to work with, and then making decisions about how you want to expand that or reduce it from section to section. and so that’s really really fun, and i think it’s why i gravitate toward songs that have some kind of atypical structure, whether more or less nuanced than typical pop form, just because all ideas and feelings are different and deserve specialized development and elaboration

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I’d still give the Katana a recommendation. I think it would handle bass and apartment living with aplomb. The amp you’ve got is probably OK, but the Katana opens up a lot of tonal and connectivity options, like an aux-in and USB-out. This leads to your next question.

In your position, I’d say figure out what you’re interested in. Maybe that’s making covers or starting a cover band. Maybe that’s writing your own songs or mastering classical guitar. Really there’s no wrong answer.

One concrete thing I can offer is to learn music theory. Things like knowing what notes you’re playing and how to count out a rhythm are really important skills that will help you throughout your journey. A good way to start that might be getting a music theory book and a guitar book that only comes with notation, like the Berklee books: https://online.berklee.edu/store/product?product%5Fid=11250&usca%5Fp=t

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My take is that unless you really really wanna mess with Guitar Amplifiers, sims are the way forward if you're starting out from (virtually) scratch. Any volume you want (including headphones), easily integratable into a full range PA system, small size, infinite presets, etc etc etc.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
But a 100W Bassman is loud.

So there's nuance, you see.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

For apartment living, check out the Fender mustang micro and a nice set of headphones.

Seconded. This thing rules. It sounds good, it's dead simple, and hooking your phone up over BT lets you play over songs and backing tracks, or watch lessons, or watch Star Trek while you're doing technique practice.

It has some effects built in, but it won't like, "teach you about amps" though. For that, a Katana or THR 10 is what you want, I think.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 1, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

More acoustic chat - I've tried a set of martin silk and steel and they play real nice and I'm not one of those "my precious tone" people but they sounded absolutely loving awful
shame, because it felt like playing on easy mode for my fingers

instead I swapped to a set of their retro monels and I am enjoying them immensely. Word is they have an incredible lifespan so if that holds true I think these may be my new default

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh no I missed another left handed player on the forums! (There are a lot of us on here). I will also of course say to just hunt down a left handed instrument and go. I did so because although I could learn right handed it would be a longer struggle and I was worried I would get fustrated and give up on playing again, for the third time. Left felt more natural and a little easier and I'm still plonking away 3ish years later.

There are left handed options out there and some even in decent colors though I find the hunt makes each guitar that much more special. It also keeps down the GAS and from buying guitars willy nilly which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view. And how often is some one gonna ask you to pick up their guitar in the corner and play at a party, really?

tl;dr: Get a nice left hand instrument and enjoy playing it now.

Edit: https://leftyfretz.com/start-here/ <- This site among other things has a database of brands that make left handed models.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 1, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

luchadornado posted:

Counterpoint, I look at people like Knopfler and think "eh, maybe it wouldn't be that bad".

I should add, I was really hoping to get in at the $700-$1000 price point and the Schecters seem to go a bit above that. Really want a single-cut and don't mind replacing pots, pickups, tuning heads, etc. (eventually).

Why can't use lefties enjoy things like greenburst LPs? :smith:

Here's a little smattering of new/used options that might help you in your search

https://reverb.com/item/52283188-esp-ltd-ec-1000-left-handed-2018-vintage-black
https://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPEC1000LH?siid=240256
https://reverb.com/item/41545544-schecter-atx-blackjack-solo-ii-left-handed-matte-black
https://reverb.com/item/49019303-schecter-damion-solo-elite-red-left-handed
https://www.espguitars.com/products/24262-ec-256fm-lh
https://www.espguitars.com/products/21137-ec-256fm-lh

The ESP models also have some more finishes and probably the greatest variety of them so that may help you find something you like.
If it were my money I was spending though I'd be on that schecter blackjack (it is, in fact, straight from my personal reverb watch list)

The used ones have all been sitting for a while too so you could easily talk those down another $100 or more

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 1, 2022

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

nitsuga posted:

I’d still give the Katana a recommendation. I think it would handle bass and apartment living with aplomb. The amp you’ve got is probably OK, but the Katana opens up a lot of tonal and connectivity options, like an aux-in and USB-out. This leads to your next question.

In your position, I’d say figure out what you’re interested in. Maybe that’s making covers or starting a cover band. Maybe that’s writing your own songs or mastering classical guitar. Really there’s no wrong answer.

One concrete thing I can offer is to learn music theory. Things like knowing what notes you’re playing and how to count out a rhythm are really important skills that will help you throughout your journey. A good way to start that might be getting a music theory book and a guitar book that only comes with notation, like the Berklee books: https://online.berklee.edu/store/product?product%5Fid=11250&usca%5Fp=t

I feel I need to improve a lot more as a player but I'd like to write/record my own stuff at some point, although I also like the covers option, mainly grunge, Joy Division and Royal Blood right now. Actually I've seen some guides on the Royal Blood sound so might be a good start on effects. I got Rick Beato's book/s on sale recently so will be having a go at that.

I'm a little curious about modding, perhaps I'll just order some filtertrons and try to fit them into my G400, and maybe reverse that later and replace the broadtrons of a G5655. I should at least try a Gretsch solid body though, kind of assumed an Electromatic Jet would be like a Les Paul, and by extension quite like my G400, but with the different pickups it's worth a go.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I feel I need to improve a lot more as a player but I'd like to write/record my own stuff at some point, although I also like the covers option, mainly grunge, Joy Division and Royal Blood right now. Actually I've seen some guides on the Royal Blood sound so might be a good start on effects. I got Rick Beato's book/s on sale recently so will be having a go at that.

I'm a little curious about modding, perhaps I'll just order some filtertrons and try to fit them into my G400, and maybe reverse that later and replace the broadtrons of a G5655. I should at least try a Gretsch solid body though, kind of assumed an Electromatic Jet would be like a Les Paul, and by extension quite like my G400, but with the different pickups it's worth a go.

Cool! Diving in and making some covers will get you to learn a whole bunch of skills. We’d all love to hear what you get up to.

As for mods, it’s really the same boat. Figure out what you want to do and give it a try. There’s a lot of experience in that realm up in here too, so just post when you need help. Pickups are a good project and there are more affordable options out there if you’re not set on one of the progenitors.

If you’re still on the fence about a Katana, I will also throw out a recommendation for a USB audio interface, especially if you have GarageBand. Their amp sims and FX are great. The PC space has some options too, I just can’t tell you any. At some point you’ll want an interface, and it would definitely be a viable alternative to a modeling amp depending on your preferences. Even this little Behringer would do you well: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Here's a little smattering of new/used options that might help you in your search

https://reverb.com/item/52283188-esp-ltd-ec-1000-left-handed-2018-vintage-black
https://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPEC1000LH?siid=240256
https://reverb.com/item/41545544-schecter-atx-blackjack-solo-ii-left-handed-matte-black
https://reverb.com/item/49019303-schecter-damion-solo-elite-red-left-handed
https://www.espguitars.com/products/24262-ec-256fm-lh
https://www.espguitars.com/products/21137-ec-256fm-lh

The ESP models also have some more finishes and probably the greatest variety of them so that may help you find something you like.
If it were my money I was spending though I'd be on that schecter blackjack (it is, in fact, straight from my personal reverb watch list)

The used ones have all been sitting for a while too so you could easily talk those down another $100 or more

That's pretty much the list I've been looking at on my own. Epiphone Les Paul, EC245/401/1000, Schecter Blackjack Solo II.

I *really* like the cobalt blue ec 256, both looks and price point. There is a small chance I buy this and I don't stick with it, which makes it harder to justify an $1100 guitar.

How big a deal is the 256 being Chinese? If I paid for a good setup and threw in some good pickups and maybe tuners at some point would I ever really feel like I made the wrong choice?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Quote is not edit, what the heck are these Rondo Agiles, and how is a South Korean guitar selling for $540?

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 1, 2022

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

luchadornado posted:

Quote is not edit, what the heck are these Rondo Agiles, and how is a South Korean guitar selling for $540?

Prices have gone up some (and stock appears way down due to covid), but my first guitar years ago was a rondo agile al-3100 and it's still one of my favorites to play. I don't know how they compare to others now, but even squier classic vibes list for $450 now.

EDIT: PRS SEs are also south korea I think and go for even more

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
South Korean guitars are generally pretty nice, and normally go for like 800-1600 new. All the nice Schecters are made there, as well as Ormsby among others. My SLS hangs with my Japanese made Dinky easily and the quality is just as good.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 1, 2022

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

luchadornado posted:

That's pretty much the list I've been looking at on my own. Epiphone Les Paul, EC245/401/1000, Schecter Blackjack Solo II.

I *really* like the cobalt blue ec 256, both looks and price point. There is a small chance I buy this and I don't stick with it, which makes it harder to justify an $1100 guitar.

How big a deal is the 256 being Chinese? If I paid for a good setup and threw in some good pickups and maybe tuners at some point would I ever really feel like I made the wrong choice?

My brother has an EC256 and it's actually really nice and plays fantastic. It's a few years old now, didn't know it was made in China or if that's a recent development or what though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

China makes good stuff these days too, when the factory is focused on making good stuff and not volume.

If the EC256 speaks to you for sure go for it, folks seem to have no complaints in the reviews

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I miss my Agile LP copy. Get strap locks folks.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.
Traded for an unbranded guitar today intending to use it for parts.

I haven't done the initial cleaning yet or even really looked closely at it. Thick body on it but lightweight. Going to tear it down tonight and see if I can get any clues as to the brand.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Just bought that goddamn cobalt blue. Such a pretty guitar. Now to buy every other thing. I guess I'll start with a locking strap.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

luchadornado posted:

Just bought that goddamn cobalt blue. Such a pretty guitar. Now to buy every other thing. I guess I'll start with a locking strap.

Who makes good straps? I have a Wrangler one but I'm finding it is actually possible to make a bad strap, it keeps threatening to trust of and drop the drat guitar. About as good as their jeans. I have a generic Amazon one on the bass which is actually decent, but gently caress Amazon where possible.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

BizarroAzrael posted:

Who makes good straps? I have a Wrangler one but I'm finding it is actually possible to make a bad strap, it keeps threatening to trust of and drop the drat guitar. About as good as their jeans. I have a generic Amazon one on the bass which is actually decent, but gently caress Amazon where possible.

Couch: https://www.couchguitarstraps.com

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

^^Thanks!

nitsuga posted:

As for mods, it’s really the same boat. Figure out what you want to do and give it a try. There’s a lot of experience in that realm up in here too, so just post when you need help. Pickups are a good project and there are more affordable options out there if you’re not set on one of the progenitors.

If you’re still on the fence about a Katana, I will also throw out a recommendation for a USB audio interface, especially if you have GarageBand. Their amp sims and FX are great. The PC space has some options too, I just can’t tell you any. At some point you’ll want an interface, and it would definitely be a viable alternative to a modeling amp depending on your preferences. Even this little Behringer would do you well: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unless there's a lot of knockoffs out there it looks like I can get Gretsch Filtertrons at under $100 the pair, which seem to review well but I see a lot said for TV Jones.

Regarding Garage Band, what are the PC alternatives these day? I see Spotify has something with a limited free plan now, anything else out there that's free, or cheap without a subscription?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I will swear by the fender weightless (stretchy) straps with some of those rubber locks.
Doesn't need to be complicated or expensive to do the job and they are so comfy

Also grats on the purchase luchadornado
Gonna need pics and a review of that beast

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 2, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm going to second Couch as a quality product, they're often upcycled and some of their limited run stuff is EXTREMELY cool, but they're all sweatshop free and vegan. I had kind of a lovely experience with a custom order once, but all the off-the-rack stuff I've bought from them has been great and held up well. I would NOT recommend a seatbelt strap for any guitars you have that are prone to neck dive.

NGD:
My new DL4 mkii came in a couple days early today! This thing is hell of fun, my only minor disappointment so far is there doesn't seem to be a desktop software editor even though you can connect via USB. There are some insane hidden menus and features that you really have to use arcane button combinations to access that would be much simpler if you could just use a GUI like the Katanas or Yamaha THRs have.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I will swear by the fender weightless (stretchy) straps with some of those rubber locks.

I borrowed a guitar with one of these and I'll second them ... just bouncy enough to be comfortable without ever feeling out of control.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

^^Thanks!

Unless there's a lot of knockoffs out there it looks like I can get Gretsch Filtertrons at under $100 the pair, which seem to review well but I see a lot said for TV Jones.

Regarding Garage Band, what are the PC alternatives these day? I see Spotify has something with a limited free plan now, anything else out there that's free, or cheap without a subscription?

Check out GuitarFetish.com if you haven’t. It’s one horrible website, but their pickups are pretty good if you ask me.

As for the apps, try Guitar Rig Player for amp sim duty and Reaper for recording. I’ve only tinkered with Guitar Rig personally, but Reaper gets recommended here frequently.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
guitarfetish stuff is pretty decent for the price. i also buy cheapo pickups from guitarmadness on ebay, got a cool humbucker sized p90 and a fat pole bridge for my telecaster for like 30 bucks total

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I absolutely love my Mark V but I should see if I can convince my local guitar store to let me trade in my Katana-100 (original model) towards a Katana Mk2 Head. I run the Mesa through a CabClone IR box and it'd be nice to be able to run a Katana into that as well but the non-Artist combos have a hardwired speaker so you can't run the power amp out into a load box like the CabClone.

That or maybe I'll just give in and buy some more tube amp heads :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BizarroAzrael posted:

^^Thanks!

Audacity, Cakewalk, Waveform Free for full free DAWs......Ableton Live Light, Pro Tools First for cut down version of much more expensive products

Spotify is a music streaming service, like Netflix for published songs. It’s not a DAW nor can it be used to record any audio or produce any music.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Reaper is an amazing cheap DAW that can do almost anything you would ever need.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Honj Steak posted:

Reaper is an amazing cheap DAW that can do almost anything you would ever need.

That’s the one I forgot about and was trying to think of! :ughh:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Spotify is a music streaming service, like Netflix for published songs. It’s not a DAW nor can it be used to record any audio or produce any music.

What's Netflix?

I was talking about https://www.soundtrap.com/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's Netflix?

I was talking about https://www.soundtrap.com/

oh jeez....uhhh

Idk if this looks kind of good or really bad

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm going to second Couch as a quality product, they're often upcycled and some of their limited run stuff is EXTREMELY cool, but they're all sweatshop free and vegan. I had kind of a lovely experience with a custom order once, but all the off-the-rack stuff I've bought from them has been great and held up well. I would NOT recommend a seatbelt strap for any guitars you have that are prone to neck dive.

NGD:
My new DL4 mkii came in a couple days early today! This thing is hell of fun, my only minor disappointment so far is there doesn't seem to be a desktop software editor even though you can connect via USB. There are some insane hidden menus and features that you really have to use arcane button combinations to access that would be much simpler if you could just use a GUI like the Katanas or Yamaha THRs have.

I've got a Couch strap that I like a lot. My first order got lost in the mail and it took a long time for them to respond or ship a replacement package though and it took a couple months to get it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I have a few couch straps. They’re high quality and comfortable. I have some other expensive straps that don’t feel great. Also couch has a ton of colors and patterns to choose from. Which is a thing I obsess over when I’m picking a strap.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I've got a Couch strap that I like a lot. My first order got lost in the mail and it took a long time for them to respond or ship a replacement package though and it took a couple months to get it.

Yeah, my wife has ordered a custom strap for me for Christmas a couple years ago, placed the order in mid-November. Late November they reached out to me (not her for some reason) to say they didn't have enough of one of the colors to do a full racer x strap, and would I like a different color or I could wait a few weeks and have it a week or two late. I said no to another color and asked if they had large enough pieces to do something else, no response. Reached out again after a couple weeks to see if they got that material in, no response. Reached out again in late February, they apologized and said they'd make it first thing the next morning and ship it right out. Reached out again a few weeks later, no response. Etc etc, eventually I got it for I think father's day.

I still think they make a great product and like I said if you're getting something off the rack no issues. I think whoever handles 1-on-1 emails for custom orders and customer service has hosed organization skills and forgets a lot of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

A few forums seemed to really like levy's so I got a 3" and I'll report back (they liked couch a lot as well). Sweetwater called me this morning after I spent $100 there and it was actually a really nice call. Makes me regret using $200 in Amazon credit card points.