Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I think the bracelet means Cobel is already a permanent innie. Some sort of accident, she was hospitalized, received v1.0 of the severance tech, and has been living her best innie life. She was hoping Mark would prove she could recover some of her outtie memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Finally got around to getting Apple TV with the six months free Playstation deal, and this show is great, just watched ep3 last night.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

insider posted:

So the Manage Mode System Functions...

OPEN HOUSE - Not sure, but maybe forces them to 'open house' and leave their outtie house unlocked so Lumon can get inside easier? Maybe instead activates outties within work.

I think it would be more mental, either like an Open House mode where people can swing by and see how Severance works to see that it's all on the up-and-up. Maybe the protocol stops anyone from possibly complaining or relaying unwanted info to outsiders visiting. Could also just be open house for their minds, a diagnostic state almost, where maybe both halves are available to speak to in some fashion.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Withnail posted:

The flip phones, cars and CRT monitors give the show a mid-90s feel. So Harmony's birthdate seems to align...

The outies use smart phones, looks like iPhones.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Open House is probably :wink: SEX MODE :wink:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh just saw someone on metafilter suggest Open House activates the Outie while in the innie space, essentially the reverse of Overtime

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I think the bracelet means Cobel is already a permanent innie. Some sort of accident, she was hospitalized, received v1.0 of the severance tech, and has been living her best innie life. She was hoping Mark would prove she could recover some of her outtie memories.

It was shown that she was probably indoctrinated at some sort of school (camp? I can't quite remember) when she was a kid. No need for her to be an innie. She was a true believer all along.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think that Charlotte Cobel might be a relative or something. Based on that being some sort of breathing tube, maybe she was in a coma or brain dead and Cobel is wishing there would have been a way to use severance to bring her back or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mahoning posted:

I love the idea that Irv’s black goo visions are essentially a Tetris effect he’s experiencing because he stays up all night drinking coffee and painting with black goo.

crazy theory, the reason he paints the same thing over and over with the same music every night is that he's trying to force his Innie to remember it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

precision posted:

crazy theory, the reason he paints the same thing over and over with the same music every night is that he's trying to force his Innie to remember it

I figured he died or was somehow treated in whatever floor they took Gemma too, and even though his outtie is back he can’t shake it. And the black goo Irving is seeing is related to him having died and come back.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Khanstant posted:

Oh just saw someone on metafilter suggest Open House activates the Outie while in the innie space, essentially the reverse of Overtime
That does seem like the most likely option.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I don't think there's any reason to suspect that Cobel is anything other than a normal person who happens to be a true believer in the Lumen marketing/cult (for whatever reason).

Cojawfee posted:

I think that Charlotte Cobel might be a relative or something. Based on that being some sort of breathing tube, maybe she was in a coma or brain dead and Cobel is wishing there would have been a way to use severance to bring her back or something.
That would make sense, and explain why she was so deeply invested in the technology and its mythologised goal/purpose.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I don't think there's any reason to suspect that Cobel is anything other than a normal person who happens to be a true believer in the Lumen marketing/cult (for whatever reason).

Except she drilled a chip out of a dead guy's brain, put it on a necklace, and then they just fire her and cut her loose. Doesn't quite add up.

click

Edit. Just realized what that scene that wellness session reminded me off. Right down to the music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWPyRSURYFQ

Withnail fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 1, 2022

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
They've been pretty clear that there's something off about Cobel's actions. While she might be a true Kier believer, she's definitely not 100% inline with Lumon, even before being fired.

So far though, there hasn't really been any indication that Lumon and the Kier cult thing aren't 100% aligned / the same thing.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

We have seen that breathing tube previously when the Kier shrine was first shown.

Note that Patricia Arquette was born in 1968.

Assuming production is on their game, here's Mark's phone at the concert:

So can we place a year? Should we place a year where Lumon has taken over so much industry that it's possible Mark's just using a Lumon phone? I was definitely on track to thinking that Cobel was a perma-innie trying to regain memories lost in an accident similarly to Mark's wife but the date on that tube throws that idea way off as the date makes me think it's her mother instead. Cobel is 100% a culted member since childhood, that much is true through the shot of her at the school.

And in terms of date placement, I found one more oddity:

Most Eagans died as CEO or 1 year prior. One of them retired early and died 4 years later. Leondra here was the previous CEO before Jame took over, only lasting 4 years before dying at the age of 48. Jame looks fairly old so 2003-2022 would make sense as his current reign.

All this is to say I think it is current day.

I'm also going to re-raise my concern that Kier Eagan is modelled after Adam Scott's good friend Paul Rudd.

The only quickly-googleable hint about this is from the NYTimes, resorting to a Rudd quote about Scott in their article about him and Severance from mid-February.

While scanning around I spotted this at the sister's home:

This show probably will require a rewatch when it's over.

Lastly, listening to this Kier speech again, it really strikes me how Scientologist this cult sounds. It's like... actually close to some of their beliefs.

...boy I really would be a shitter if I got into Lost.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 1, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

enki42 posted:

They've been pretty clear that there's something off about Cobel's actions. While she might be a true Kier believer, she's definitely not 100% inline with Lumon, even before being fired.

So far though, there hasn't really been any indication that Lumon and the Kier cult thing aren't 100% aligned / the same thing.

i think a real possibility would be that it turns out that Lumon is NOT doing the Will of Kier and that Kier's AI personality matrix or whatever is trapped. in any event it seems like she's gonna join Team Goodguy next season

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Mark’s driver’s license lists his birthdate as 1978 (making him five years younger than Adam Scott in real life) and it expires in 2020. We should assume it’s roughly “the present.”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DaveKap posted:

I'm also going to re-raise my concern that Kier Eagan is modelled after Adam Scott's good friend Paul Rudd.

The only quickly-googleable hint about this is from the NYTimes, resorting to a Rudd quote about Scott in their article about him and Severance from mid-February.

I know to take this with a grain of salt, but IMDB lists someone else (Marc Geller) as the person who plays Kier Eagan. he looks exactly like the gray bearded Kier in his IMDB picture. Maybe we will get a flash back to the 1800s or something. Or maybe he's somehow still alive, who knows. The person is a real actor, not like the fakeout ST: Discovery did.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ideas about Irv and the inky blackness.

If you're going down there you are in some kind of coma/vegetative state right? So Irv was also someone who was in a coma for many years, had the severance procedure but then eventually "woke up" but still has memories from his time down there, like how some coma patients have memories of being in the hospital

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Should we place a year where Lumon has taken over so much industry that it's possible Mark's just using a Lumon phone?

I don't think Lumon is meant to be an enormous FAANG company, remembering the episode one dinner party where the guests were debating what it was they actually did and didn't have a clear answer despite living in/near Kier. It's pretty much supposed to be a murkier IBM, down to the upstate NY headquarters.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So after my roommate watched the waffle party scene today, he paused it, turned to me, and said "remember the Lumon employee who got pregnant?"

This show, man.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So after my roommate watched the waffle party scene today, he paused it, turned to me, and said "remember the Lumon employee who got pregnant?"

This show, man.

I think that maybe the lady who got pregnant was more of a office romance thing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They may botch the finale but this is probably one of the top masterpieces of sci fi tv .

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So Outtie Helly we think must be high level Lumon/Helly Eagan, but she woke up hanging from an extension cord three weeks ago and the board is just finding out now and firing Cobel for it?

BTW a part of Dylan must have been so pissed he couldn't stay for the whole Waffle Party

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are so many like EXTREME close ups and the actors nail all of them . Tillman and Lower especially nail the face acting . Incredible

I like the show !!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AndrewP posted:

So Outtie Helly we think must be high level Lumon/Helly Eagan, but she woke up hanging from an extension cord three weeks ago and the board is just finding out now and firing Cobel for it?

Just 'cause she's someone important doesn't mean she's reporting everything to the board. And we know the surveillance/security in the building is extremely lax. So if she didn't tell anyone (either because she has her own agenda or she didn't think it was necessary) and neither Cobel nor Milchick reported it, how would anyone know?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Just 'cause she's someone important doesn't mean she's reporting everything to the board. And we know the surveillance/security in the building is extremely lax. So if she didn't tell anyone (either because she has her own agenda or she didn't think it was necessary) and neither Cobel nor Milchick reported it, how would anyone know?

Yeah, I bet if she is some high level exec she desperately hid it from everyone as best as she could, because it'd be a sign of failure or disloyalty

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dylan said something “slaps” so it’s set no earlier than 2021

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

Dylan said something “slaps” so it’s set no earlier than 2021

Page 197 slaps

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

eke out posted:

Yeah, I bet if she is some high level exec she desperately hid it from everyone as best as she could, because it'd be a sign of failure or disloyalty

oh interesting, the severance thing is like Her Project maybe

does she review the footage when she gets off work?

anyway I like to be severed until next Friday please

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

AndrewP posted:

oh interesting, the severance thing is like Her Project maybe

does she review the footage when she gets off work?

anyway I like to be severed until next Friday please

Maybe if severance was a real thing my boss wouldn't have called me on vacation asking where my end of the month reports are. On May 15th.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i don't think Helly is gonna turn out to be a Lumon executive per se, just someone rich. maybe one of Lumo's biggest funders or whatever.

i hope the finale gives us a hint as to why these people in particular are so special. it is an awful lot of work to go through for people who are, i guess, super good at Creepy Sudoku

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah I would think she's likely just some investor who wants to do the severance thing herself to show the world that it's fine.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Adam Scott's mouth is shrinking a little more each episode. What's our theory on this?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I would think she's likely just some investor who wants to do the severance thing herself to show the world that it's fine.

Or maybe a politician fighting against the severance process. We haven't seen who the guy with the kid whose name I'm too tired to look up is running against

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

AndrewP posted:

BTW a part of Dylan must have been so pissed he couldn't stay for the whole Waffle Party

If you're a member of the board, would you tell your peers in the cutthroat world of boarding that your innie is 'throwing a tantrum'?

If she really is the person we saw on that video, she's already made it clear she doesn't care what her innie tries to do and is probably more embarassed by it than concerned.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
If she were a member of the board, why did her outie hide the suicide attempt?

The board wasn't aware until they saw those photos and they fired Cobel on the spot.

Edit: didn't see the new posts pointing the same thing out

SpaceAceJase fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 2, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Or maybe a politician fighting against the severance process. We haven't seen who the guy with the kid whose name I'm too tired to look up is running against

Eh, I don't know how that would work. If she were a politician against Severance, Lumon would be able to figure that out and deny her. I have to assume there would be some sort of background check and they'd notice that the person who wants to become severed ran on an anti-severance platform or something. Also, there's the whole "You're not a person, you do what I tell you to do" type language she used in the video. Since it does seem like they implied that she's at that event that they were decorating for at Lumon, it seems to me that she must be some wealthy person that supports what Lumon is doing, or perhaps she's going to be presented as someone who is severed. She has to be someone who doesn't have a regular day job because she's been working at Lumon this whole time.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Is it just me, or did the Board's voice sound an awful lot like the voice of Keir Eagen from the deathbed tape they play in the Perpetuity Wing?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Cojawfee posted:

I know to take this with a grain of salt, but IMDB lists someone else (Marc Geller) as the person who plays Kier Eagan. he looks exactly like the gray bearded Kier in his IMDB picture. Maybe we will get a flash back to the 1800s or something. Or maybe he's somehow still alive, who knows. The person is a real actor, not like the fakeout ST: Discovery did.
drat that guy looks like an old Paul Rudd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

precision posted:

i hope the finale gives us a hint as to why these people in particular are so special. it is an awful lot of work to go through for people who are, i guess, super good at Creepy Sudoku
The explanation that's been suggested by some in this thread, that it's some kind of pilot program so they want positive results to justify its expansion, makes a lot of sense. We've seen that the procedure is being regularly debated and protested, so it's not something that's established in this society and everyone's used to.