Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm on Fi and I have dns.adguard.com set as private DNS on my Moto G Power. I also have the AdGuard DNS servers set in my router's WAN settings. No problems with wifi calling (probably insufficient sample size), but sometimes I won't receive a text at all. I can see it at messages.google.com/web but it will never appear in Messages on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Oppo's Australian marketing is SO bad. I've been watching out for the Aussie launch and only found out due to some guy with 1k youtube subscribers and 11 views on his video. Not a single press release or video otherwise.

At least they're including the 50w wireless charger, wireless earbuds and Oppo watch like they did in the UK. Along with the 80w charger and case in the box. Pretty good deal at $1800 compared to the 256gb $2000 s22 ultra where you get nothing but a cable.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I don't know if it's because of the security update earlier this week but the last couple days have had my P6 refusing to swipe up on the lock screen half the time. I can swipe down to pull the notification tray so it's still registering inputs, but it just doesn't want to unlock. Hitting the power button to turn the screen off and on again fixes it but this is getting aggravating.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I find pulling down from the top is a bit tricky on the P6. I'm still baffled by just how big and obtuse it is. I cant imagine what the pro is like

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

It's not?

I mean, I'm coming from the large hands space, but never had any trouble at all on my pro.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Yea P6 is a 2 hander for sure. I can get the shade 1 handed if I shimmy my hand up the back of the phone so I can reach the top.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Thanks for the tips everyone. We got a Pixel 6 and Samsung Galaxy A12. Didn't have the budget for a third one but that's okay.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

withoutclass posted:

Yea P6 is a 2 hander for sure. I can get the shade 1 handed if I shimmy my hand up the back of the phone so I can reach the top.

My go to is to swipe up from the bottom to go home then swipe down from the middle for the shade.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

FunOne posted:

My go to is to swipe up from the bottom to go home then swipe down from the middle for the shade.

Ah this is a good tip, I keep forgetting you can swipe down anywhere on the home screen to bring the shade down.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
You can also set double tap on the back of the phone to pull down the notification shade.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Got the Android 12 update for my Oneplus 8 Pro and it basically killed high speed and wireless charging. Even leaving my phone on a charging pad overnight won't completely fill the battery. Seems to be widely reported as well with no response from the company.

Good loving work, assholes. Good loving work.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Never settle

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My phone screen broke and doesn't display, and I'm trying to set up an old phone, but Google's two factor authentication is so intense. Its sending me a text to the broken phone, but its not going to Messages for Web. My Chromebook doesn't count as another device to authenticate with for some reason.

Is there any other way to do this?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 1, 2022

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

In a push to tidy up my phone's home screen I ended up installing Niagara launcher. It's been a few weeks and I'm finding it really handy for how I use my phone. Being able to keep apps installed, but hidden away from my app drawer, is a feature I am loving but didn't know I needed. But before I drop the cash on the Pro version, is there any other simple but feature rich launcher anyone else can recommend? I'd like to check out a few options if possible.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

In a push to tidy up my phone's home screen I ended up installing Niagara launcher. It's been a few weeks and I'm finding it really handy for how I use my phone. Being able to keep apps installed, but hidden away from my app drawer, is a feature I am loving but didn't know I needed. But before I drop the cash on the Pro version, is there any other simple but feature rich launcher anyone else can recommend? I'd like to check out a few options if possible.

I've been using Nova for about a decade now and I love it

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

FogHelmut posted:

My phone screen broke and doesn't display, and I'm trying to set up an old phone, but Google's two factor authentication is so intense. Its sending me a text to the broken phone, but its not going to Messages for Web. My Chromebook doesn't count as another device to authenticate with for some reason.

Is there any other way to do this?

Hopefully you have recovery codes somewhere or some other out of band option set up. Uh, if you can talk to it maybe you can trigger Google assistant to read your notifications?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, if you are able to trigger the text notification, just setup the phone without your Google account, put your SIM in so you can get texts, then sign in after the fact on the so you now get the text on the non-broken device

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I've been using Nova for about a decade now and I love it

Same. I set it up to be very OEM, just mostly hiding apps and text and changing how many apps I can fit on the screen, but it's never given me issues.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Interesting. I already have Nova actually, I guess I've just never tried to use it in quite that way. I'll give it a look, thanks.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm on Fi and I have dns.adguard.com set as private DNS on my Moto G Power. I also have the AdGuard DNS servers set in my router's WAN settings. No problems with wifi calling (probably insufficient sample size), but sometimes I won't receive a text at all. I can see it at messages.google.com/web but it will never appear in Messages on my phone.

yeah I meant adguard as in the app not the dns

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So the new OnePlus can't do 80w charging in North America like it does in China because 120v outlets don't support it. 65w seems to be the best possible.

That's a huge blow to one of the few areas left for phones to dramatically improve on. And leaves US/Canada way behind the rest of the world in charging forever.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Is it so big a deal to charge a phone in 30 minutes instead of 22

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So the new OnePlus can't do 80w charging in North America like it does in China because 120v outlets don't support it. 65w seems to be the best possible.

That's a huge blow to one of the few areas left for phones to dramatically improve on. And leaves US/Canada way behind the rest of the world in charging forever.

This seems like a very minor inconvenience tbh. You should see how long people have to wait so they can drive their electric car if they use certain chargers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No. Oppo doesn't support it. They just didn't engineer a dual voltage brick. There's nothing technical stopping it. It's just a lazy launch.

The thing just supplies 20w@4a, I have like half a dozen USB-C chargers that can do that. They just didn't put their proprietary signaling into a dual voltage adapter.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 2, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

65w charging instead of 80w? Time to end it all, that was the last straw

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

isndl posted:

I don't know if it's because of the security update earlier this week but the last couple days have had my P6 refusing to swipe up on the lock screen half the time. I can swipe down to pull the notification tray so it's still registering inputs, but it just doesn't want to unlock. Hitting the power button to turn the screen off and on again fixes it but this is getting aggravating.

It's definitely the buggiest smartphone I've ever had. Absolutely cannot wait to be rid of this piece of poo poo.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm getting max 5w wired charging with the original brick with my 8 Pro because Oneplus managed to severely gently caress up the power profiles with the Android 12 update.

stratego
May 6, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Ah this is a good tip, I keep forgetting you can swipe down anywhere on the home screen to bring the shade down.

I miss the rear finger print scanner and using that to control the shade. Easily my favorite.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

stratego posted:

I miss the rear finger print scanner and using that to control the shade. Easily my favorite.

This is why I'm afraid for when my Pixel 5 dies.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

swipe down on the home screen, triple tap the back for every other situation. not the same, but the closest you’ll get.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know how to either permanently disable Airplane Mode, disable Safe Mode, or in the least, get a phone that works on Google Fi and works for an elderly person who doesn't text or use the Internet?

My mother is using my Pixel 5 and somehow keeps turning it into Safe Mode and can't turn it back even if she turns it off and on again. She doesn't trigger Safe Mode by holding down on Power Off so I'm not sure what's going on.

She almost got stuck at work and couldn't call for help because of this error so I'm kind of looking for a phone for her that doesn't have Safe Mode or something.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

It's definitely the buggiest smartphone I've ever had. Absolutely cannot wait to be rid of this piece of poo poo.

Did you get it closer to when the phone was launched? It seems like a picture is developing that the first runs of the Pixel 6 tended to have issues, but the later runs have been more reliable. Mine has been great, but it is also from a production run from earlier this year.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

No. Oppo doesn't support it. They just didn't engineer a dual voltage brick. There's nothing technical stopping it. It's just a lazy launch.

The thing just supplies 20w@4a, I have like half a dozen USB-C chargers that can do that. They just didn't put their proprietary signaling into a dual voltage adapter.

Pretty bold of them to lie about it I guess?

80 vs 65w is no big deal but we're already seeing 200+w charging so 200+ vs 65 is a big deal.

But Bull is the charging expert in these here parts so we will see I guess.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Did you get it closer to when the phone was launched? It seems like a picture is developing that the first runs of the Pixel 6 tended to have issues, but the later runs have been more reliable. Mine has been great, but it is also from a production run from earlier this year.

I got mine at release and its fine so far, it did have some fingerprint issues the first one or two months though

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pretty bold of them to lie about it I guess?

It's not technically a lie, they say their standard doesn't support it because they are the makers of the standard and they didn't make a thing that would support it on 110. Thus, it's not supported on 110.

I mean, there's nothing magical about it. My microwave consumes 2300w. I think an outlet can handle charging a phone at 80w.

Also, we aren't going to see 200w charging until we have graphene batteries. It's not like the 80w charging is a huge advantage over 65w, it shaves a whole 2 minutes off the charge time. At some point, diminishing returns sets in.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

withoutclass posted:

Hopefully you have recovery codes somewhere or some other out of band option set up. Uh, if you can talk to it maybe you can trigger Google assistant to read your notifications?

bull3964 posted:

I mean, if you are able to trigger the text notification, just setup the phone without your Google account, put your SIM in so you can get texts, then sign in after the fact on the so you now get the text on the non-broken device

I've got this Google Fi eSIM, so no actual sim card. And the only functional old phone that I have is a Nexus 5x, which doesn't support eSIM. I've been apparently trading in all of my phones since then. I should get a real sim for these purposes.

Anyway, my desktop let me get into my 2fa settings without needing to reauthenticate, and I added my wife's phone number as an alternate and sent the text to her.

Still would like to be able to enable Google Prompts on my Chromebook.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

sleepwalkers posted:

swipe down on the home screen, triple tap the back for every other situation. not the same, but the closest you’ll get.

You can also use a one hand mode gesture swiping down on the bottom bar. Needs to be activated though: System > Gestures > one handed mode > show notifications.

It's a bit finicky at first but becomes muscle memory pretty fast. The trick is to not start the gesture at the point where the tutorial animation is showing it (thanks Google!) but a bit deeper on the screen. You basically start on the bar and swipe down outside of the screen.

I've been using that since release and have pretty much forgotten about the rear fingerprint gestures (but not how better it was at actually recognizing finger prints).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

AlexF posted:

You can also use a one hand mode gesture swiping down on the bottom bar. Needs to be activated though: System > Gestures > one handed mode > show notifications.

Played around with this for a bit and it seems way more intuitive and reliable than double tapping the rear, thanks for the tip!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

isndl posted:

Mine was doing that but now seems like the swipe area is just lower on the screen than it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Also they got rid of split screen, which worked perfectly for years, and replaced it with split top. Which doesn't work at all with animations turned off- it legit crashes the ui. With animations on split top is a more cumbersome and unpleasant feature than split screen.

I hate it. Why. A plague on their houses