Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
drat I am tempted with this car, and it's not even fully announced yet

It's almost a perfect storm of events.

My partner is urging me to consider a more practical car to replace either my 86 / or MR2 as the kids get older.

My main caveat is if I have to replace it, I want something -fun- to replace it. Which is a tall order when you have an 86 and a MR2.

I figure I want something small and sporty - with 5 doors and a reasonable backseat for child seats. So a hot hatch is an ideal candidate. Having driven FR/ MRs all my life, the idea of shaking things up with a rally inspired AWD Turbo sounds awesome.

My lifelong love of JDM pushes me in the direction of Evos and STIs, which are only now available second hand and with COVID tax, price points that are close to / equal to new in Australia. Same story with the Focus RS. I admittedly haven't looked to closely at any European models - which I should reconsider.

I'm reminded that it's gotta be a daily, and 'safe', (let's ignore power output for a second) so that rules some cool older models that I drool over.

The most excited I get is for a Yaris GR, until I see one in person and have my dreams dashed that it's in no way any more practical than the 86.

Then I hear this thing is announced. It ticks pretty much all of the boxes. Modern, fun, safe(ish), 5 doors and a backseat. It's a bigger Yaris GR.

The look is growing on me. I'm a big fan of 90s hot hatches, where the goal was to stick enough bulky aero crap onto the standard cars frame to make it clear to whomever looks at it that this was a car designed to fly over dirt and become one with trees. I love the impossibly flared wheel arches, Swiss cheese vents and big spoilers. Sleek and understated, it is not. I'm sure I'll get used to the giant cheese grater at the front.

Also 224kw out of a 1.6 3 cylinder engine is an awesome modern engineering feat that you can't help but admire. I bet that thing screams at high RPMs.

My only wonder is would it be too much car for me, power wise. I prefer fun at slow speeds to the grocery store over a fast and powerful car that only can be really be enjoyed on a racetrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Toyota knows it’s selling to enthusiasts but also knows that this is general market enthusiasts. It’s not a homologation car, so I’m gonna guess it’ll be fun up to 100 km/h too.

e: Forbes mentioned that the US market is getting a Launch Edition, and that’s the one that has Torsten f/r, 18” wheels and a carbon fiber roof. I’d imagine these might be offered as upgrades to later “base” model GR Corollas. Goes against my first guess that there wouldn’t be much in terms of options.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 31, 2022

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I think someone in the new car thread mentioned they were only bringing 1000 GR corollas to the US. If true lmao gently caress goddamnit

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
After reading the line 6 speed IMT transmission, I had to google what IMT was.

I almost completely lost all interest in the car when it came up with a bunch of articles about clutchless manuals, primarily by Kia/Hyundai for the Indian market.

Thank gently caress this was just an instance of auto manufacturers using the same acronym for different tech. The IMT in the corolla is apparently the same in the Yaris GR - it blips the throttle and rev matches on downshifts for you, which sounds really neat.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looks like Toyota leaked it early? https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/first-look-2023-toyota-gr-corolla

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Isometric Bacon posted:

After reading the line 6 speed IMT transmission, I had to google what IMT was.

I almost completely lost all interest in the car when it came up with a bunch of articles about clutchless manuals, primarily by Kia/Hyundai for the Indian market.

Thank gently caress this was just an instance of auto manufacturers using the same acronym for different tech. The IMT in the corolla is apparently the same in the Yaris GR - it blips the throttle and rev matches on downshifts for you, which sounds really neat.

My corolla hb has imt, it’s pretty good! Great for people new to manual.

Disclaimer: some rev hang, if the peddle box was set up better for heel toe/ it would be moot.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Some track footage was leaked. Gives a pretty good look at the car from all angles.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gazooracingcorolla/permalink/398907375407262/?ref=share

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I asked my wife if I could buy a Toyota Corolla. She looked at me funny and said sure. I'm in.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

sneakyfrog posted:

I asked my wife if I could buy a Toyota Corolla. She looked at me funny and said sure. I'm in.

Ask for me too.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Head Bee Guy posted:

I think someone in the new car thread mentioned they were only bringing 1000 GR corollas to the US. If true lmao gently caress goddamnit

A lesser crime than 0 Yaris GRs.

I used to say I’d drive my Mk5 GTI till the engine went, but of course that already happened so maybe the Mk9 will suck less.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
https://pressroom.toyota.com/heat-for-the-streets-toyota-debuts-first-ever-gr-corolla/

Nothing at all about limited numbers, optional LSDs front and rear, manual transmission only.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The press event confirmed manual only. I missed the “XXX edition” part cause my buddy called.

e: Important part: no word on price.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 1, 2022

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Even has a real hand brake

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Should I sell my 6 year old F80 for this thing?

I loved my old 5 door STI and this just seems like a smaller version of that

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Well, I called up my dealer and put a refundable deposit down on the thing, subject to a test drive.

I don't expect to see it for at least a year or so, but if it's anything like the Yaris GR I imagine stock is going to be pretty scarce.

Now just to see if I'm going to balk at the price.

The car looks kind of boring without the bold extra wing of the circuit edition, not to mention the other goodies, so I'm sure I'll be tempted. Let's hope the premium isn't too high.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I just bought an Elantra N which is a ton of fun, but depending on pricing/dealer markup/availability I feel like I might need to get one of these.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

grahm posted:

I just bought an Elantra N which is a ton of fun, but depending on pricing/dealer markup/availability I feel like I might need to get one of these.

I mean, I think you should post pictures.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Should I sell my 6 year old F80 for this thing?

I wouldn't until you actually have one.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KakerMix posted:

Nothing at all about limited numbers, optional LSDs front and rear, manual transmission only.

I think this might be where the limited numbers thing came from:

quote:

GR Corolla will come in two grades, Core and Circuit Edition.

The Core Grade will be available later this year in white, black and Supersonic Red. It will have a color keyed roof with a black rear lip spoiler, GR-Four stamped side rockers and wide-fender flares. On the inside, seating for five will come with GR logoed fabric sport seats.

The Circuit Edition will be a limited-run model available in 2023. Standard colors are white, Supersonic Red and Heavy Metal with the same GR-Four stamped side rockers and wide fenders as the Core. It adds a forged carbon fiber roof, vented bulge hood and a sporty rear spoiler, Brin Naub® suede-trimmed sport seats with red accents and a launch-year-exclusive Morizo signed shift knob.

If these things aren't total unobtanium it might be exactly what I want to upgrade out of my FiST.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that color selection is disappointing to say the least

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that color selection is disappointing to say the least

Yeah, only real strike against them so far but was definitely hoping for a better choice.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I'm torn on Circuit vs Core, the spoiler really seems to help the styling and I'd probably add a couple of the packages to the Core anyway. On the other hand, waiting an extra year...

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

E: reading comprehension

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I didn't realise they never released the Yaris GR in the states.

Did they think it wouldn't sell because of the size / lack of automatic transmission?

Funnily enough when they released it here in Australia they had a 'special introductory price' that was 10k under RRP for the first thousand or so. They really must not have had any of confidence in it.

The allocation sold out within days.

Love to see some competitive pricing on this model, but I expect they know the buzz and desire this time around and will price accordingly.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Isometric Bacon posted:

Did they think it wouldn't sell because of the size / lack of automatic transmission?

Americans tend to prefer quantity/$ over quality/$ in their cars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Isometric Bacon posted:

They didn't release any version of fhe current Yaris in the USA

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

dissss posted:

They didn't release any version of fhe current Yaris in the USA

It's this, it probably wasn't worth doing safety and emission testing for such a limited run vehicle.

So pumped for the GR Corolla, it's funny to see Toyota of all companies pulling through after being let down by the new WRX and Golf R.

They made about 45k FK8 Type R's worldwide and it ended early because of supply chain issues. I don't know how hard it was to get one of those, Toyota seems intent on making GR a thing so hopefully it won't be too exclusive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

It's this, it probably wasn't worth doing safety and emission testing for such a limited run vehicle.

So pumped for the GR Corolla, it's funny to see Toyota of all companies pulling through after being let down by the new WRX and Golf R.

They made about 45k FK8 Type R's worldwide and it ended early because of supply chain issues. I don't know how hard it was to get one of those, Toyota seems intent on making GR a thing so hopefully it won't be too exclusive.

The CTRs were obtainable within a decent range of MSRP in the US at least, though there were some stupid markups to be had at the very beginning.

The GR Corolla is very appealing but I'm confident the markup will be stupid and Honda has been good to me so far.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've had a deposit and a signed order form stating "MSRP" with my dealer since November, and judging from the GR Corolla forum posts I am not the only one.

I hope they honor it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hope they make a ton so I can see a bunch of cool goon hatch photos.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm eager to see the MSRP and what dealers try to pull with markups.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i don't need a new car i don't need a new car i don't need a new car i don't need a new car

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't really care for the styling. It's kind of moot as anything over $30K isn't going to be in our budget. But the overall package is incredibly appealing.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Rolo posted:

Hope they make a ton so I can see a bunch of cool goon hatch photos. buy a used one in five years

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
me: "what if it was a special edition corolla and costs a bit more?"

her: "you work hard, get what makes you happy."

im wondering whether to burn it on a hot toyota.

sigh.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
but honey you said what makes me happy....

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Will reserve judgement but not sure why I'd buy this over the yaris

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if i could get the yaris i would but freedomland doesnt sell that one.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m not married so those talks are usually just me telling a sales guy “I mean I’m already bad with money rofl”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Red Core model with all the options. Don't care about trying to compete with whatever is going to happen with the Circuit edition re: 'scarcity', especially since it is mostly an appearance package.
Both my wife and I are going :hmmyes: since our V60, while pretty and a wagon, just is too boring, not exciting enough and not efficient enough either. We've been away from modern cars so long (last new car we had was a 2013 Golf R we both liked quite a lot) that how new ones just scream at you when you get within 5~ feet of anything, not allowing you to get comfortable with the car before it yelps is just a bummer.

Plus I mean cmon: