Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

cr0y posted:

Do we think it's possible covid will fitness trap itself or nah because of the multiple animal reservoirs?
Seems like virtually every mammalian species can get it. Of course, how severe it’ll be in them is unknown, but IMO it’s pretty drat concerning how many possible animal reservoirs there are. Both for us and for the animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zugzwang posted:

Seems like virtually every mammalian species can get it. Of course, how severe it’ll be in them is unknown, but IMO it’s pretty drat concerning how many possible animal reservoirs there are. Both for us and for the animals.

one of my favorite things is when people ask me "do you think it will become endemic", yep it'll be just the common cold.

in fifty thousand years.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

cr0y posted:

Do we think it's possible covid will fitness trap itself or nah because of the multiple animal reservoirs?

I think covid is gonna mutate itself into omega man varrient and kill all humans. it is designed to fight superior bat immune systems, our efforts are only a momentary amusement to it

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
well it gives me great pride and relief to say that my PCR was negative so my 36hr bout of diarrhea was soemthing else :toot:

tbh im mostly glad i dont need to convalesce for weeks but avoiding all the other stuff is dope too

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen
also some of the ways that pathogens become less lethal over time is that people with suboptimal MHC alleles for presenting immunogenic antigens for a particular disease die off. and then over time more people are carrying the good alleles for handling a particular pathogen so its less harmful to the population.

so its not like its getting weaker so much as everyone who would be susceptible is getting dead

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hekaton posted:

also some of the ways that pathogens become less lethal over time is that people with suboptimal MHC alleles for presenting immunogenic antigens for a particular disease die off. and then over time more people are carrying the good alleles for handling a particular pathogen so its less harmful to the population.

so its not like its getting weaker so much as everyone who would be susceptible is getting dead

excuse me, this is d&d,. you aren't allowed to accuse the US government of genocide here. :mods: can we get a b+30 for this disinfo spreader?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mdemone posted:

one of my favorite things is when people ask me "do you think it will become endemic", yep it'll be just the common cold.

in fifty thousand years.
It’s doing such an insanely good job of spreading; I don’t know that there’s any selective pressure on it to become milder. It’d be one thing if people cared a lot now and would care less if it were less lethal. They already don’t care :shrug:

hekaton posted:

Right so, letting it run wild really is eugenics.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

two years ago today. CDC wouldnt recommend masks until April 3

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

hekaton posted:

Good it'll be over when it's out of people to kill.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

You don’t do them to have a legally binding document, you do them so the people in your life have guidance regarding your wishes. The double vent scenario was what prompted us doing them but it’s not a likely scenario. More likely would be one of us incapacitated while the other is left to make the hardest decisions possible and while we both have communicated to each other what we want, having that guidance in writing might help in that moment, if it ever comes to that.

ya i agree w all this, just pointing out POA can and will ignore them so youre still trusting whomever to adhere to it.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

Guessing virologists have known and sounded the alarm about this for decades, but modern global society provides unprecedented conditions for viral evolution. Probably at no time in the history of life has a virus had access to so many infection and transmission opportunities in multicellular animals, and consequently been able to evolve so quickly. A single mutated virus in South Africa infected a sizeable fraction of humanity within a couple of months. That must never have been possible before, ever.

A variant that could cross-infect humans, chickens, pigs and cows would in principle be able to reach ~5% of total animal biomass. This is starting to look kind of plausible.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chad Sexington posted:

My PCR came back negative, woohoo it really was just a rogue stomach bug.

:hfive:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it’s pretty shocking how many people are dead and how little everyone seems to care.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Joementum posted:

it’s two large Indian reservations

the cdc map is mostly based on access to medical care and well!

Yikes my bad

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I’m honestly pretty depressed about covid still. which is weird seeing that it’s over.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

it’s pretty shocking how many people are dead and how little everyone seems to care.

When you deliberately dismantle the bonds between people, people stop caring about people. Capitalism works!

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

HHS data

COVID Pediatric Admissions hit 623/658 nationwide over the past two days.

It's been 2 weeks since they hit 600, and a week since they were over 500.

COVID Pediatric Hospitalizations hit 1000 today for the first time in a week.

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1510030155728646146?s=20&t=DtvNN7c0YYnVeWrhPXdUPA

is this unlabeled graph also for pediatric hospitalizations?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

empty whippet box posted:

excuse me, this is d&d,. you aren't allowed to accuse the US government of genocide here. :mods: can we get a b+30 for this disinfo spreader?

Sorry I'm not a D&D mod

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Stereotype posted:

Yeah, this hits me every now and then and it's pretty hosed up.

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Stereotype posted:

literally just let over a million people die.

N O W
H I R I N G

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nocturtle posted:

Guessing virologists have known and sounded the alarm about this for decades, but modern global society provides unprecedented conditions for viral evolution. Probably at no time in the history of life has a virus had access to so many infection and transmission opportunities in multicellular animals, and consequently been able to evolve so quickly. A single mutated virus in South Africa infected a sizeable fraction of humanity within a couple of months. That must never have been possible before, ever.

A variant that could cross-infect humans, chickens, pigs and cows would in principle be able to reach ~5% of total animal biomass. This is starting to look kind of plausible.
Looks like there are lots of papers on this. Unsurprisingly, chickens generally come up as being less susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection. They *do* have ACE2 receptors though, so given how many times the virus is likely encountering chickens, you’d think there’s some real selective pressure on it to be able to make the jump into birds. Whether a chicken-infecting variant would also be able to infect pigs and cows is a different story, of course.

Apr 7, 2003

MLK Ultra posted:

literally just let over a million people die.

N O W
H I R I N G

hehe. They didn't matter anyway

Apr 7, 2003

It's also fun because the remaining social media presence is selected for being good enough to avoid mass death and also still having time to post, which means that we will never learn poo poo about what just happened.

Apr 7, 2003

Imagine a social media network populated by the people who died from covid + their families who aren't in denial

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

ya i agree w all this, just pointing out POA can and will ignore them so youre still trusting whomever to adhere to it.

Guess I’m just gonna hope my loved ones honor my wishes if that day ever comes? :shrug:

Stereotype posted:

Some people don’t care. But some people are so terrified of the abyss that they use aggressive denial as a defense mechanism to avoid confronting reality and maybe in a way those people care a little.

Nocturtle posted:

Well when you put it this way it sounds like a rapidly spreading super virus that infects all mammalian life is inevitable so what I’m hearing is covid is over.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Imagine a social media network populated by the people who died from covid + their families who aren't in denial

Facebook of the Dead?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

:eyepop:
drat now I want to read hell-twitter

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Pie Colony posted:

good tips, thanks. i got a prescription! but had it sent to the wrong pharmacy so now i have to wait 1-2 hrs for them to transfer it (which is dumb cause it took them 5 seconds to send it in the first place)

45 minutes of that is waiting on hold trying to get one of the two people at cvs or whatever to answer the phone, the rest of it is waiting for their pharmacist to become available or motivated enough to print something and fax it

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nocturtle posted:

Just humans, cows, and pigs make up half of all land vertebrate biomass.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

insects are animals you bigot

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
WE NEED MORE DONKEYS
WE NEED MORE DONKEYS
WE NEED MORE DONKEYS
WE NEED MORE DONKEYS
WE NEED MORE DONKEYS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PostNouveau posted:

Died WITH a plane crash

The plane had a pre-existing condition.

Fun fact: they came to rest in a bean field.

It was actually pilot error.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Nearly a 265k day for S. Korea, seems like this variant has a long tail, well if you don't have any masking requirements or social distancing.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Death By The Blues posted:

Nearly a 265k day for S. Korea, seems like this variant has a long tail, well if you don't have any masking requirements or social distancing.

This oroborus seems to have a long tail

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

wait why are there so many water buffalo?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Asia

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's real bizarre to go back in time

We had a chance

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Also challenge trials are very ethical and cool, which is why this line gets honorable mention:

It’s sad that they made a bunch of people sick for nothing, probably people who were desperate for the participation “compensation”.

The only thing accomplished was to pad the researchers’ résumés. They will not affect public policy or behavior.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mdemone posted:

here are your 1.1 million dead.

please note these are among the *excess deaths* and that this is CDC data including the entire country.

Texas is pulling the same trick it does with automobile deaths, where it outdoes California, despite California having a third more population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Grown for food in India and other parts of Asia