Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Agreed. Always always always get the call ID/ticket/incident number or whatever when you talk to them and note it down somewhere. Then if things get a bit different than agreed upon you call/email back and provide receipts that will usually make them hop to whatever they were supposed to do. Telecom IT is a nightmare so it wouldn’t be beyond the pale for someone to have screwed up and the whole business got memory holed.

Some years back I got a similar runaround with Comcast and a router upgrade. Kept the ids and used that “Email the Vice President” thing they had at the time and said “You all said x, y, z on calls q, r, s. What’s up?” and it was sorted within 2 days. Got the direct line to the local repair tech as well which was nice. Remember, flies with sugar and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.engadget.com/hulu-live-tv-unlimited-dvr-now-included-190049273.html?src=rss

Starting April 13th, Hulu + Live TV will have unlimited DVR at no extra cost (and it looks like it will retain the ability to fast forward as well.)

Good to see they are getting with the times. Though the fact that you can only get Live TV and No Ads hulu by bundling ESPN+ now makes things unappealing to me.

I'll be continuing on with my T-Mobile discounted YoutubeTV.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

HBO Max and Discovery+ will be first bundled together before becoming a single service.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/14/22976876/hbo-max-discovery-plus-merge-app-confirmed

quote:

It really shouldn’t surprise anyone that when the merger of Discovery and WarnerMedia closes, the two companies’ streaming apps will experience a merger of their own. As noted by Variety, Discovery CFO Gunnar Wiedenfels confirmed the move when speaking at the Deutsche Bank 30th Annual Media, Internet, & Telecom Conference (that’s a mouthful) on Monday.

This was our first real glimpse of what this new company’s content plan looks like. Wiedenfels gave a very loose roadmap for the streaming app situation post-merger. Before the two apps merge into one mega app, there will be some bundling options. (Think how Disney often bundles Disney Plus, Hulu, and ESPN.) Then, at some point, the two will be combined into one massive and potentially unwieldy beast of a product.

It’s unclear which part of the new company will take ownership of designing this new combined content app. It’s also unclear how much the new app will cost. Discovery Plus and HBO Max both currently maintain ad-supported and ad-free tiers, with Discovery Plus’ going for $4.99 a month and $6.99 a month, and HBO Max’s going for $9.99 a month and $14.99 a month. If the new company opts to mash prices together as it mashes apps and content, then that would mean a service going for approximately $14.99 and $21.99 a month. Netflix, for reference, ranges in price from $9.99 to $19.99 a month depending on the number of screens and quality of streams. Netflix also has the best-looking app in the streaming business with an algorithm that suggests content one would actually want to watch. The DiscoHBO app will need more than the next season of Euphoria if it wants to charge more than $20.

But I’m not sure the new company actually understands this. Wiedenfels’ presentation was oriented largely around content — not the quality of the app. “The combination could not make more sense than what we’re doing here. We have HBO Max, with a more premium, male-skewing positioning, and then you’ve got the female-positioning on the Discovery side,” he said. He went on to express enthusiastic excitement at seeing the combined metrics because “in theory, the acquisition power of HBO Max, combined with the retention power of the Discovery content I think is going to make for a blowout DTC product.”

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
What was that website that listed all the streaming service channel lineups and packages?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://www.suppose.tv

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Awesome, thank you.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

HBO Max and Discovery+ will be first bundled together before becoming a single service.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/14/22976876/hbo-max-discovery-plus-merge-app-confirmed

ugh, I've only done Discovery+ twice. Once for the free Fire TV that came bundled for new customers and the other time for the $1 black friday deal. I don't love 90 Day Fiance The Single Life enough to pay more than the $5 basic rate.

On the other hand I'm leeching HBOMax off a friend so it may work out better for me in the end

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I’m selling my PC due to wanting to focus on console gaming and this has left me with an odd situation. What’s the best way to watch my media that I’d installed on an external hard drive? I have an LG C1 and a PS5, surely they can’t just play media from the drive right?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I’m selling my PC due to wanting to focus on console gaming and this has left me with an odd situation. What’s the best way to watch my media that I’d installed on an external hard drive? I have an LG C1 and a PS5, surely they can’t just play media from the drive right?

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/play-video-music-discs-usb-drives/#video

You should be able to do that on the PS5 just fine as long as the file types are supported. Not sure if that link will bring you right to the section but there’s a good tutorial on there.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Kilometers Davis posted:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/play-video-music-discs-usb-drives/#video

You should be able to do that on the PS5 just fine as long as the file types are supported. Not sure if that link will bring you right to the section but there’s a good tutorial on there.

Huh, well that helps things! Thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You could probably pick up a cheap laptop or PC and setup Plex or one of many other solutions for that. Windows/Mac wouldn't really matter either. You don't need much horsepower for that.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

A laptop is overkill for a Plex server. I run mine on my 2015 Shield TV just fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wouldn’t run plex server on a laptop personally, but I’d definitely run it on one over a Shield.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
My cheap TCL has a media player app. I plug my external hard drive right into the tv, see every directory/file, and can play every video format I've encountered without issue. I think it's a Roku branded thing but I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar on a nicer LG set.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

My cheap TCL has a media player app. I plug my external hard drive right into the tv, see every directory/file, and can play every video format I've encountered without issue. I think it's a Roku branded thing but I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar on a nicer LG set.

My LG cx can do this

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Our Sony TV outsources the OTA guide info to some company they don’t own anymore and the guide experience is just rear end now. You’d think that something could be tweaked to use a different provider since it’s all just android but apparently not. Do any of the manufacturers have a decent OTA interface?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I have converted my parents off of Xfinity's overpriced tv service. They were paying close to 225 dollars a month between internet, TV., and box rentals. They've decided on Youtube TV for the time being and with their current (still Xfinity) internet, they've knocked 100 bucks a month off their bill.

Supposedly AT&T fiber is available at their place, and it looks like their 300mbps service is $55 a month. Should I try and get them to consider that as well? I think they pay $60 for 100meg Xfinity.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Mental Hospitality posted:

I have converted my parents off of Xfinity's overpriced tv service. They were paying close to 225 dollars a month between internet, TV., and box rentals. They've decided on Youtube TV for the time being and with their current (still Xfinity) internet, they've knocked 100 bucks a month off their bill.

Supposedly AT&T fiber is available at their place, and it looks like their 300mbps service is $55 a month. Should I try and get them to consider that as well? I think they pay $60 for 100meg Xfinity.

Fiber is generally more consistent vs Cable, I'd say go for it especially if they're out of contract with Xfinity you can probably get some good deal.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I was gonna switch to at&t gig fiber. They said they'd pay my contract off.

They will not pay your contract off if you're just getting internet so I walked.

At&t makes you use their combo box and in order to do the level of adblocking I like I'd need to piggyback it off a switch I control. (Pihole and adguard)

I still might get a switch setup to get better ping and reduce bufferbloat but my orbi mesh system does good enough.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fwiw that $55 is mostly likely for a year or two and then it’ll go up. Definitely look into that. If they’re just doing normal internet stuff and streaming then they probably don’t need the 300mbps. Just a heads up! Good luck either way though, we got out from under the ridiculous pricing of cable/internet/tv packages down to internet + hulu live and it’s so much better.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

fwiw that $55 is mostly likely for a year or two and then it’ll go up. Definitely look into that. If they’re just doing normal internet stuff and streaming then they probably don’t need the 300mbps. Just a heads up! Good luck either way though, we got out from under the ridiculous pricing of cable/internet/tv packages down to internet + hulu live and it’s so much better.

AT&T offers 300, 500, and 1gig fiber in their neighborhood. I told them that 300 would be more than enough for them considering they may be streaming on 2 tvs at most. 55 dollars is what I saw online for 300meg, I wonder how much they charge after a year.

They've been using YouTube TV on a new Roku and seem to be really enjoying it. Had to burst my dad's bubble though and tell him there's no Ballys sports though. Is Directv stream the next best option if they want local sports?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

At&t makes you use their combo box and in order to do the level of adblocking I like I'd need to piggyback it off a switch I control. (Pihole and adguard)

I still might get a switch setup to get better ping and reduce bufferbloat but my orbi mesh system does good enough.

Does that mean their fancy mesh router won't be usable? Or can they just not use the wifi in the at&t kit?

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 30, 2022

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

AT&T offers 300, 500, and 1gig fiber in their neighborhood. I told them that 300 would be more than enough for them considering they may be streaming on 2 tvs at most. 55 dollars is what I saw online for 300meg, I wonder how much they charge after a year.

They've been using YouTube TV on a new Roku and seem to be really enjoying it. Had to burst my dad's bubble though and tell him there's no Ballys sports though. Is Directv stream the next best option if they want local sports?

Don't forget about https://www.toast.net/ and https://www.dslextreme.com/ who I think resell the fiber internet. I know when my brother got AT&T fiber using them against AT&T got him a better deal.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

AT&T often has data caps if you don’t get their fiber service, I think they put a data cap on fiber below a certain speed threshold.

So watch out for that

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even at gigabit there’s a cap unless you pay a fee or have the TV service. I believe it’s $30/mo.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
$40 extra for unlimited. The cap is 1TB.

I’m going to guess the $55 price is probably not a promotion. Stand-alone 300 service here is regularly priced at $60.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Data caps and pricing depends on your region. Where I live, there is no cap. I expect that to change next year when the FCC mandate on Charter having no caps expires and both they and AT&T go back to 1TB caps.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I don’t have a cap with my gigabit internet for $70 through ATT

I loving hate data caps though. 1 TB is extremely limiting

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

DirecTV Stream is the only option at the moment. In some number of weeks there will be direct to consumer in the Ballys app but I don't know the timeline.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Inept posted:

Data caps and pricing depends on your region. Where I live, there is no cap. I expect that to change next year when the FCC mandate on Charter having no caps expires and both they and AT&T go back to 1TB caps.

It literally depends on your address. If your block is only serviced by one company for some reason, you'll get slower, more expensive internet from that company than the next block over that has multiple.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man. I just think I'm going to bite the bullet and go back to YouTube TV.

Nothing matches it in terms of features and channel selection. I'd almost go Hulu Live TV if they offered Game Show Network (which we watch an inordinate amount of).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BonoMan posted:

Man. I just think I'm going to bite the bullet and go back to YouTube TV.

Nothing matches it in terms of features and channel selection. I'd almost go Hulu Live TV if they offered Game Show Network (which we watch an inordinate amount of).

Out of curiosity, I looked to find if GSN was on any streaming anywhere for free. While I didn't find that, I did find that it's on a relatively new streaming service called FrndlyTV. It's pretty cheap, it's lowest tier only $7. However, it has an extremely small channel selection. What interests me about it is that it's only streaming service that I know of that has MeTV. It's my favorite OTA channel primarily because of Svengoolie. It's the reason I used Locast because it was the only way to get it without a cable/sat channel package. Right now I get a decent deal for Spectrum TV but once that expires I may look at this again.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I think it depends a lot, we pay $70.00 a month for AT&T 1Gbps and we have paid that price for over 4 years. And in checking on the price I see we can pay $100.00 for 2Gbps or $170.00 for 5Gbps.

But we live in a really weird area in Dallas, where AT&T is headquartered and we live TECHNICALLY in a very low income area in well accepted statistics but in reality homes sell for $350+ a sqft which means they can sell Fiber 5Gbps to a $1M+ house and say they are serving a low income community.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 31, 2022

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So my sister, my dad and I want to do a family plan for streaming. A few questions:

- Is YouTube TV the only game in town for that kind of thing? Hulu doesn't seem to offer a family plan
- The three of us live in the same city but different apartments. Will that cause us any grief?
- Would we continue to pay for our own Disney+/HBO Max/Netflix/Hulu/etc. accounts?
- Anything else to help us understand how it all works? If it matters, my dad and I both have a Roku, my sister has an Android TV

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So my sister, my dad and I want to do a family plan for streaming. A few questions:

- Is YouTube TV the only game in town for that kind of thing? Hulu doesn't seem to offer a family plan
- The three of us live in the same city but different apartments. Will that cause us any grief?
- Would we continue to pay for our own Disney+/HBO Max/Netflix/Hulu/etc. accounts?
- Anything else to help us understand how it all works? If it matters, my dad and I both have a Roku, my sister has an Android TV

1. I think so yeah
2. No that shouldn’t cause you an issue. YouTube does geolocation for the primary account holder though
3. Yeah (you could probably bundle max and HBO but I’m sure sure if there’s a lot of savings there)
4. The app should work just fine on any of those devices.

Oh yeah one last thing. When you make your family group the person who pays for it has to be the primary on the account.

Like I paid for YouTube premium and shared it with the family group but only the primary on the group can share stuff and have everyone access it.

It’s weird that it’s like that but that’s how support said it works :shrug:

Also you can only leave and join a group once every 90 days or something like that so make sure you get it right the first time lol

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 2, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
One good thing about subbing to HBO Max through YTTV is that HBO live channels will then show up on your guide.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I guess I wasn’t sure if subbing to HBO via YT gave you the full HBO max experience.

If so it’s probably best to bundle that in so you can split the costs.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Okay, so each of us logs into YTTV on our devices in our homes, and we'll see whatever streaming services we add to our profiles then?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MarcusSA posted:

I guess I wasn’t sure if subbing to HBO via YT gave you the full HBO max experience.

If so it’s probably best to bundle that in so you can split the costs.

I don't know if that's the case.

If you subscribe to HBO max you'll get it and HBO channels on the live guide.

I don't know if it works the other way around.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Okay, so each of us logs into YTTV on our devices in our homes, and we'll see whatever streaming services we add to our profiles then?

Yeah any services the owner of members add is available for all I believe. You can't silo them per user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

On the YTTV family sharing it says 3 simultaneous streams. Is that per user or 3 total for the whole family?