Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Somehow during that fight I would regularly some how get stuck in the little cutout the weak spot is in so it would drag me around and I could get more hits in. Not gonna complain after the first few attempts at it pissed me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Well I'm stumped.

Got the bad ending, and I think I'm supposed to look for Holy Cross now, but idk wtf I am supposed to look for right now. I went to bed and I guess that changes the time of day, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now. There's probably some section of the map I could go to with blink now that I'm forgetting, but idk.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Well I'm stumped.

Got the bad ending, and I think I'm supposed to look for Holy Cross now, but idk wtf I am supposed to look for right now. I went to bed and I guess that changes the time of day, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now. There's probably some section of the map I could go to with blink now that I'm forgetting, but idk.

Hint 1: Take some time to look through your manual.
Hint 2: You have a map for a dangerous area you haven't been to yet.
Signpost: Go to the southeast corner of the overworld as a spirit, you can now go to the graveyard and begin your path to the last major item that will get you the last couple of manual pages you can get without the Holy Cross.

Hint 3 for then: Go through the manual carefully while thinking about the Holy Cross.

e; realized you probably already did 1-2-sign, so just go straight to 3 and when you hit the bad ending you should only be missing 2 pages of the manual - if you're missing more you might be missing context.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 28, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Hint 1: Take some time to look through your manual.
Hint 2: You have a map for a dangerous area you haven't been to yet.
Signpost: Go to the southeast corner of the overworld as a spirit, you can now go to the graveyard and begin your path to the last major item that will get you the last couple of manual pages you can get without the Holy Cross.

Hint 3 for then: Go through the manual carefully while thinking about the Holy Cross.
Sounds like they already have the laurel if they're blinking around.

There are lots of little random spots you can access once you have blink, and it can be surprising just how fast you can zip through areas to check for obvious signs of stuff. Might want to just spend like 15 minutes checking out areas you've been to.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

ok i must admit Holy Cross is clever now that i figured it out.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Lategame spoiler stuff:

I do not understand what I am supposed to be doing here, I tried following the flower path, but that didn't work. There's something here I don't get. Don't tell me you have to use the flowers that aren't on this little island.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Lategame spoiler stuff:

I do not understand what I am supposed to be doing here, I tried following the flower path, but that didn't work. There's something here I don't get. Don't tell me you have to use the flowers that aren't on this little island.

No, you have the right idea. Have you tried doing it in the night world? I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
don't forget that you sometimes have to do a direction twice.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No, you have it correct. I was stumped a little bit too, but it turns out I'm just a little bit crosseyed (and maybe so are you?)

Solution/spoilers:
Start on the big pink one, and the easy thing to trip up on is the two central trilogies of flowers lined up differently than I thought: the left-most one of the middle-top trilogy lines up with the right-most one of the middle-bottom trilogy.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Okay, I got it, thanks. Was looking at it a bit wrong.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm towards the end of the game, at the big ending setpiece of the cathedral, and...I dunno, I'm not having a whole lot of fun. The combat's become Elden Ring But Worse; swinging your sword feels like wielding molasses, dodge timing is incredibly finicky, stamina depletion is insanely punishing, enemies aggro on you infinitely so you can train the entire map on your rear end, and bosses two-three hit you while playing keepaway from your massively short reach. Couple that with the fact that they took away all my upgrades, the game's become more frustrating and annoying than anything. And not in the harsh-but-fair Fromsoft way.

Did I just manage to miss too much upgrades, items, what have you? Do I need to start deciphering the manual's text?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You can turn on all kinds of accessibility options without losing achievements or anything, and in fact the instruction booklet specifically encourages you to do this if you're having difficulty.

You mean the instruction booklet written in a language you can't read?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 2, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can turn on no fail mode or no stamina drain mode, turning those on does not disable achievements or anything. I did that for the end of the game because I was sick of the combat. But there are other things you can do, like get your stat upgrades back.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cojawfee posted:

You can turn on no fail mode or no stamina drain mode, turning those on does not disable achievements or anything. I did that for the end of the game because I was sick of the combat. But there are other things you can do, like get your stat upgrades back.

Is that in the cathedral or the graveyard or what? Cause the rest of the overworld is inaccessible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Is that in the cathedral or the graveyard or what? Cause the rest of the overworld is inaccessible.

Actually, You're not as far along as I thought. You have to do the thing you're heading towards as the un-upgraded version which sucks, but you can eventually get your upgrades back.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got past that part by turning off damage and stamina, and then the following happened:

I got the zippy thing and made it back to the overworld. Immediately saw a manual page and grabbed it, then saw that the backside showed the save file menu, which I had completely forgotten about. Went "oh cool" and quit out to the title scene to see if the save menu did in fact look all 8-bit like it does in the screenshot, and it sort of does? Then I tried to load my file but backed out at the last second cause I wanted to check the options, and now there's a new save file with like 999 hours and maximum upgrades and yet somehow less items than I have.

:confused: Was I like, not supposed to do that? I don't really want to load it cause I'm still busy with what I presume is my actual save file rather than whatever the poo poo that is. Did I skip a step or something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You're fine. You actually solved a puzzle without realizing it lol. Take a closer look at that page.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cojawfee posted:

You're fine. You actually solved a puzzle without realizing it lol. Take a closer look at that page.

Oh, is it hinting something about a ? if you hit cancel on load? That's really easy to do on accident, I wonder how many people found it intentionally instead of by chance.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

I'm towards the end of the game, at the big ending setpiece of the cathedral, and...I dunno, I'm not having a whole lot of fun. The combat's become Elden Ring But Worse; swinging your sword feels like wielding molasses, dodge timing is incredibly finicky, stamina depletion is insanely punishing, enemies aggro on you infinitely so you can train the entire map on your rear end, and bosses two-three hit you while playing keepaway from your massively short reach. Couple that with the fact that they took away all my upgrades, the game's become more frustrating and annoying than anything. And not in the harsh-but-fair Fromsoft way.

Did I just manage to miss too much upgrades, items, what have you? Do I need to start deciphering the manual's text?

You mean the instruction booklet written in a language you can't read?

You don't have to kill everything. I literally ran at that point of the game and made dashes for parts I couldn't get to. Sometimes I killed enemies when I stopped, sometimes I didn't. If you try to kill everything, it becomes pretty tedious at that point in the game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That's where "enemies aggro on you infinitely so you can train the entire map on your rear end" comes into play - they don't stop chasing you. Eventually, they'll all catch up. At the same time. :gonk:

EDIT: Man, do I really gotta go through the entire game again and try and find all the grey doors with patterns on them? What a profound pain in the rear end. I want to get all the manual pages, but I'll be god damned if I know where the last ones are (I'm at 25/??).

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 2, 2022

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Pollyanna posted:

That's where "enemies aggro on you infinitely so you can train the entire map on your rear end" comes into play - they don't stop chasing you. Eventually, they'll all catch up. At the same time. :gonk:

EDIT: Man, do I really gotta go through the entire game again and try and find all the grey doors with patterns on them? What a profound pain in the rear end. I want to get all the manual pages, but I'll be god damned if I know where the last ones are (I'm at 25/??).
If it helps, a large amount of the world is inaccessible at night. So you don't need to explore nearly as much as you think.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm already past that. I got all my upgrades back and now I'm at the point where I think I need to care about three things:

1. The Holy Cross
2. The Golden Path
3. The Fairy Spring

I understand that "Holy Cross" refers to the D-pad, and the pattern you're supposed to input on it depending on the door you're looking at. I got past three or four grey doors (one of which had an extra sword I didn't need), and I got past the big gold one at the top of the map.

The Golden Path, I'm at a loss. I got page 49, and it's a square with what appear to be page numbers on them, whatever that means. I suspect I have to use it alongside that weird save file I found earlier, but I have no idea how. Supposedly the Holy Cross has something to do with the Golden Path, but damned if I know what.

And then there's page 47-48. I remember finding some weird cave with a brazier early in the game, but I completely forgot about it until I found these pages (and then I had to look up where it was). Apparently that's the Fairy Spring. I've only found one thing that looks like a fairy, which I got by following the Windmill clue on page 53, and now one of those boxes is ticked off. Do I really need to hunt all these loving things down? It says something about a "final treasure" and I have no idea what that is or why I would want it.

Honestly, right now I just need a clue to figuring out how to actually use page 49, and what the gently caress it has to do with the D-pad.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pollyanna: Go poke around the map for a bit, keeping in sharp mind that the prompts to use the Holy Cross are littered in plain sight. Also on the manual section that talks about fairies, there'll be an explicit tip on using the cross to help you find these areas.

Once you do this enough you'll get accustomed to what to look out for and the final puzzle gets a bit more reasonable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You already figured out that those numbers seem to be page numbers. So take a look at those pages and see if you find anything

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pollyanna posted:

I've only found one thing that looks like a fairy, which I got by following the Windmill clue on page 53, and now one of those boxes is ticked off. Do I really need to hunt all these loving things down? It says something about a "final treasure" and I have no idea what that is or why I would want it.

Honestly, right now I just need a clue to figuring out how to actually use page 49, and what the gently caress it has to do with the D-pad.

you only need 10 out of 20, and the reward from that might help you answer your 2nd paragraph

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Ugh, I'm a little over 20 hours into this and about ready to feel done with it after collecting the entire manual and like 12 fairies and a few secret treasures, and solving the Golden Path. I I think have never before encountered a game that combines a few really brilliant ideas with some of the most obnoxiously unfun mechanics I've experienced. This is a game that seems like it wanted to be Fez, Zelda and Dark Souls all at once and as a result didn't stick the landing on any of them. The manual, the Holy Cross puzzles and the Golden Path puzzle is sheer brilliance and made me feel like I was playing Fez all over again. Obviously the game is beautiful. But like Pollyanna, I felt like that moment-to-moment gameplay took a nosedive after you get turned into a ghost and it was skirting the edge of being too frustrating even before then.

I love the Fez-style puzzles, but the frustrating stamina system, combat, and the fact that you can't de-aggro enemies for some godforsaken reason gets in the way of it too much. The combat is too finicky and your ability to overlevel content does not exist, so the Souls-y combat elements get frustrating too fast. And the combat is too involved to be a good Zelda game. I really don't know how to feel about this game as a whole in the end. I wish it had just been the Fez parts and gone light on the combat, if any at all. Like I get that you can turn off the difficulty, but I shouldn't have to turn on an accessibility feature just to enjoy a game. The combat in a cutesy Zelda-y/Fez-y puzzle/adventure game should not be more frustrating than the 130 hours of Elden Ring I just played and accessibility features are not a substitute for good game design.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What does rtfm mean

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Read the loving manual.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:ohdear: now that was uncalled for

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Finished this today, and though I absolutely loved it when I realised what the Holy Cross was, ultimately with a lot of those puzzles I ended up realising the gist of it and then just looking up a guide to get the details. This is probably due to me having a hard line on never taking notes in a video game though. That said, I did make an exception for the Golden Path, which was great fun to work out, though less fun to actually enter..

Has anyone put together a summary of the plot? I thought everything would be revealed once the manual had been translated, but it turned out to be almost as cryptic as before!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Finished this today, and though I absolutely loved it when I realised what the Holy Cross was, ultimately with a lot of those puzzles I ended up realising the gist of it and then just looking up a guide to get the details. This is probably due to me having a hard line on never taking notes in a video game though. That said, I did make an exception for the Golden Path, which was great fun to work out, though less fun to actually enter..

Has anyone put together a summary of the plot? I thought everything would be revealed once the manual had been translated, but it turned out to be almost as cryptic as before!

Echoing this post. Once you figure out “Holy Cross = D-pad” and “Golden Path = lines from pages in the manual”, everything left is rote and it’s like ehhhhhh. Once I figured those out, I decided to be lazy and watch someone else do it on YouTube instead. Finding fairies and vault doors is also tedious and I’d just rather not.

Agreed on the manual, too. The translation doesn’t really help any more than the original text, by the time you can translate it there’s nothing in the manual you haven’t already figured out. Also because gently caress translating the whole thing yourself, just grab someone else’s. As for the plot, I understand even less now. I think the land used to follow the Holy Cross, but then it fell out of favor when they dug up a bunch of eldritch fox-ghosts and went insane with power? And then stuff with the final boss and the Cathedral happened and that doesn’t make any sense at all and now there’s a conga line of heroes sacrificing themselves for ???? reasons. Doesn’t help that the text throws around esoteric terms like “canonical” and “planes” and “annealed”, and uses the word “truth” very oddly.

Game’s alright. It was pretty and had some creative ideas, but I found the combat frustrating and janky and the late-game puzzles tedious.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 3, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Game’s alright. It was pretty and had some creative ideas, but I found the combat frustrating and janky and the late-game puzzles tedious.

Pretty much the same. Though I found out most combat could be cheesed with the right items/strategy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was watching the devs react to the 24 minute speed run, and Kevin Regamey says this at 5:30:

quote:

I was gonna say, one thing with the design philosophy of this world is that this world is kind of not made for you. The fox isn’t the hero of the game, it’s why you can’t read the language, it’s why things seem too strong for you - we loved the idea during dev of finding glitches and exploits are kind of still within the lore of the game, because if you break the game, well, the game wasn’t made for you in the first place. This world wasn’t made for you, so how could it possibly be broken?

Which is very interesting. Why exactly is our player character not considered the hero of the game? What could this mean?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pollyanna posted:

Which is very interesting. Why exactly is our player character not considered the hero of the game? What could this mean?

I've not read the translated manual, but from what I got via context: Is that the fox is just one of a long line of (unwitting?) pretenders to the throne of immortality, as implied by the 'bad' ending, and the 'heir of the heir' comments, 'ever repeating story', etc. The manual probably clarifies the backstory more, I should go look it up.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I'm near the end and need a hint... I think some of the spoilers on this page might contain the answer but I don't wanna click and find out. I got the bad ending and now I'm trying to get the good ending. I figure I need to get all the secret treasures now, of which I have 1 and 3.

Is that right? Just making sure I'm going for the ending and not some random puzzle hunt. I'm concerned that there's only 12 pedestals in the treasure room but 20 items on page 48 of the manual.

Anyway, wild how the game sort of morphed into The Witness.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

I'm near the end and need a hint... I think some of the spoilers on this page might contain the answer but I don't wanna click and find out. I got the bad ending and now I'm trying to get the good ending. I figure I need to get all the secret treasures now, of which I have 1 and 3.

Is that right? Just making sure I'm going for the ending and not some random puzzle hunt. I'm concerned that there's only 12 pedestals in the treasure room but 20 items on page 48 of the manual.

Anyway, wild how the game sort of morphed into The Witness.
You do not need to get all the secret treasures. What was the one statistic the game told you along with your Retry/New Game+ options?

If that's not ringing a bell, it tells you how many manual pages you are missing. Those are what you need, and secret treasures will not get you there. Those are more of a post-game extra special achievement hunting treasure kinda thing

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Martman posted:

You do not need to get all the secret treasures. What was the one statistic the game told you along with your Retry/New Game+ options?

If that's not ringing a bell, it tells you how many manual pages you are missing. Those are what you need, and secret treasures will not get you there. Those are more of a post-game extra special achievement hunting treasure kinda thing

Wow, I'm glad I asked. I was mashing buttons at the end of credits and missed that screen. I guess I can killed the boss again to see them?

I figured the golden path was gonna be manual pages (edit: lol loaded game and all of them clearly have golden paths on them), but since the numbers went higher than my manual I didn't know what to do. I guess I need to find missing pages... somewhere...

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 5, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

Wow, I'm glad I asked. I was mashing buttons at the end of credits and missed that screen. I guess I can killed the boss again to see them?

I figured the golden path was gonna be manual pages, but since the numbers went much than my manual I didn't know what to do. I guess I need to find missing pages... somewhere...
Depending on how many you're missing, your best bet might just be re-exploring a lot of the old areas now that you can blink around. A fair amount are just lying around, but there are also certainly some that involve some puzzling out of manual pages that you do have.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

While you could do that to find out, I could just tell you that your load save screen says how many pages you've found. There are 28 pages to find. So if your save says 25 on it, the message would have said "You are missing 3 pages" or something like that.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there any point to that saved game that just loads a never ending maze?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Is there any point to that saved game that just loads a never ending maze?

Yes.