Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murgos posted:

There was only one secretary in the White House who knew how to log calls?

Really? That’s the line she’s going to throw out there?

Pull the other one, it’s got bells on.

On the other hand, wasn't there a story about Trump officials taking a month to figure out how to use the light switches in the White House? This is not to say that this is a good defense, only that this level of incompetence is believable with Trump and his people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

On the other hand, wasn't there a story about Trump officials taking a month to figure out how to use the light switches in the White House? This is not to say that this is a good defense, only that this level of incompetence is believable with Trump and his people.

Especially when they would go out of their way to fire/alienate everyone who was competent.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Murgos posted:

There was only one secretary in the White House who knew how to log calls?

Really? That’s the line she’s going to throw out there?

Pull the other one, it’s got bells on.

"Surely Trump wouldn't just violate the presidential records act"

-Someone who knows Trump really well

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Wait, hope Hicks isn't faith Hill

I wish Hope Hicks were more like Bill Hicks, in that I wish she died 30 years ago.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/dxhoex/status/1509690946702745605

Chuds are publicly destroying things that they own again because a corporation made them mad.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/dxhoex/status/1509690946702745605

Chuds are publicly destroying things that they own again because a corporation made them mad.

How do they still trip up on step 1 and manage to keep giving money to the people they're mad at?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

How do they still trip up on step 1 and manage to keep giving money to the people they're mad at?

https://mobile.twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1509244056131485697

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm pretty sure something similar happened when Colin Kapernick signed a deal with Nike, and people bought Nike items only to destroy them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bobjr posted:

I'm pretty sure something similar happened when Colin Kapernick signed a deal with Nike, and people bought Nike items only to destroy them.

They also threw out all their Gillette razors when Gillette put out an ad saying that masculinity isn't just about being a macho man and maybe consider being nice to women every once and a while.

And people also filmed themselves throwing their Kuerigs out onto the street or off their second floor balconies because Sean Hannity got mad at Kuerig for... some reason, I dunno. Did they go woke somehow? Is watered down cappuccino that comes in environmentally unsustainable plastic pods woke now?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

nine-gear crow posted:

And people also filmed themselves throwing their Kuerigs out onto the street or off their second floor balconies because Sean Hannity got mad at Kuerig for... some reason, I dunno. Did they go woke somehow? Is watered down cappuccino that comes in environmentally unsustainable plastic pods woke now?

They withdrew their advertising from Fox News after Roy Moore won the senate primary and Hannity openly declared that he thought republican judges should be able to gently caress all the 14 year old girls they want.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
HBomber's youtube bit of throwing a razer into the toilet comes to mind.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

Cancel culture is bad or something… so they buy more merchandise? Something like that.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

DarklyDreaming posted:

As a general and almost universal rule, fascists are as intellectually bankrupt as they are morally bankrupt.
These people are evil and idiotic in almost equal measure. They gently caress it up because they're profoundly stupid.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just checked out FOX and was honestly surprised that it wasn't like 20 headlines about Hinter Biden's laptop.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

bobjr posted:

It’s a time honoured tradition since at least The Beatles had that Jesus spat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

As a general and almost universal rule, fascists are as intellectually bankrupt as they are morally bankrupt.
These people are evil and idiotic in almost equal measure. They gently caress it up because they're profoundly stupid.

I mean, I think it's fair to say that they wouldn't actually care about the fact that they're giving their "enemy" money even if they understood it, since financial punishment isn't really their goal? Their goal is simply performative outrage, full stop, because that's the part that makes them feel good. Any larger consequences that may come of it are distant concerns at best.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
If it's stuff they already owned, then destroying it is all about the performative outrage. They know the company already got their money, but the idea is to show defiance and say "But they won't get any more!" Even in situations where they all run out and buy something to destroy it, like the Nike thing, while they may realize they're giving a company money, again the idea is "But they won't get any more," and that even if it's a short term gain for the company they will lose money in the long term.

But the joke is that companies don't give a gently caress about long term profits, only short term ones.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

If it's stuff they already owned, then destroying it is all about the performative outrage. They know the company already got their money, but the idea is to show defiance and say "But they won't get any more!" Even in situations where they all run out and buy something to destroy it, like the Nike thing, while they may realize they're giving a company money, again the idea is "But they won't get any more," and that even if it's a short term gain for the company they will lose money in the long term.

But the joke is that companies don't give a gently caress about long term profits, only short term ones.

Also with corporate consolidation and subsidiarization it is near functionally impossible to live in the western hemisphere and NOT have your money ultimately wind up in the coffers of the parent company of a brand that has "gone woke" and made you mad.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Also with corporate consolidation and subsidiarization it is near functionally impossible to live in the western hemisphere and NOT have your money ultimately wind up in the coffers of the parent company of a brand that has "gone woke" and made you mad.

This is the lazy bullshit 'better things aren't possible' excuse people use about Amazon et al though. I live in Switzerland and I can boycott Nestlé except for a few occasions a year when some venue only has Nestlé drinks or something. I get you were talking about chuds boycotting Nike or whatever, but I hear this all the time from libs too who really just don't want the inconvenience of learning things about their own supply chains.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

greazeball posted:

This is the lazy bullshit 'better things aren't possible' excuse people use about Amazon et al though. I live in Switzerland and I can boycott Nestlé except for a few occasions a year when some venue only has Nestlé drinks or something. I get you were talking about chuds boycotting Nike or whatever, but I hear this all the time from libs too who really just don't want the inconvenience of learning things about their own supply chains.

Partially it has to be a warning not to consider consumption a meaningful political act ala “I only buy fair trade coffee and so am fighting for the rights of workers”? Although I am not shocked to see it transformed into justification for doing nothing.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I've suggested a comprehensive list of major capital and their vast umbrella of products and companies, weighing environmental impact, worker compensation, and political donations. A boycott index. I don't know how to go about creating such a thing, but properly boosted it could catch on.

It's certainly not enough by itself, but all our world cares about is money... surely that pressure could matter.

Would it be less effective than voting?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

greazeball posted:

I don’t at all disagree with you, I’m just saying

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's even worse than that image presents because generic brand items in the US are often made by those same companies too, like Food Lion doesn't have their own cereal production plants, they just pay Kellogs/General Mills to package some of it in their store logo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Beat me to it. Boycotting things as an effective strategy is almost impossible if you plan to exist in society at all. The top tiers of the capitalist chain all lead to evil it seems. I don't eat at Chic Fil A or shop at Hobby Lobby, for instance, but they're both right next to each other where I live and at a glance I highly doubt they're noticing my effect on their respective bottom lines.

And speaking of lines, god drat, is Chic Fil A chicken made with crack or something? The drive thru lines there are really something to behold when I drive past it. I like their food well enough but whoa.

EDIT:

Also, FOX News is all "we're not transphobic"

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-biden-covid-health-business-f28163a146d043700247a299f39be4e9

Caitlyn Jenner Now A Paid Fox Contributor

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

BiggerBoat posted:

Boycotting things as an effective strategy is almost impossible if you plan to exist in society at all.

I unironically advocate minimizing ones participation in society (as a consumer). I recognize this is not evenly remotely an option for everybody, but as a childless renter my money isn't easily won. Though I'd imagine groceries booze and live music are thoroughly captured by the same awful corporations.

Whoops feel pretty defeated.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

And speaking of lines, god drat, is Chic Fil A chicken made with crack or something? The drive thru lines there are really something to behold when I drive past it. I like their food well enough but whoa.

My experiences are that it is decent but you get about the same quality or better from other places.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hunt11 posted:

My experiences are that it is decent but you get about the same quality or better from other places.

I'm not sure how it is elsewhere, but here in the south, Chick Fil A is ridiculously fast and the quality is always good. I'm not a huge fan of their food (or fast food in general) but I understand why people like going there. The line can be wrapped around the building but it only takes a couple minutes to get through and the staff are always super nice. If you are a person just unaware (or don't care) of politics then they are an easy choice if you're looking for something in that vein.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Chic-fil-a is "good" for fast food but 90% of their popularity in 2022 is performative anti-woke bullshit.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

greazeball posted:

as always best show ever The Good Place nails it.

Our extremely complicated modern world can make it supremely difficult to make 'Good' choices. But many people will simply use that as a cover for what is in the end laziness: they are unwilling to suffer a slight inconvenience, and sometimes will even deliberately make the 'Evil' choice just to spite the loving do-gooders who are guilting them.

I don't think this actually applies to the chuds, since once again they're just publicly demonstrating their tribal affiliation. They don't care Disney or Nike might actually end up with more of their money.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

Chic-fil-a is "good" for fast food but 90% of their popularity in 2022 is performative anti-woke bullshit.

I think that ratio should be flipped. Maybe 10% of their popularity is anti-woke BS. The rest is the same popularity they saw before it was popular to make articles either anti or pro-chic-fil-a.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nottherealaborn posted:

I think that ratio should be flipped. Maybe 10% of their popularity is anti-woke BS. The rest is the same popularity they saw before it was popular to make articles either anti or pro-chic-fil-a.

Probably depends on where you live tbh, I feel like it's way more anti-woke bs in areas like mine where they are a relatively recent phenomenon. They didn't even exist here until well after their anti-LGBTQ stuff was widely publicized.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Chick-Fil-A had a ton of support from the Christian crowd even before the anti-gay stuff came out, because the founder was an outspoken Christian and even further showed it by being closed on Sundays. I don't doubt that the anti-gay stuff gave it a boost from chuds, but even if that hadn't happened it would still be extremely popular.

e: Though yeah I don't doubt that a few more got built in places they weren't before solely because of lovely local politicians wanting a way to proudly display their bigotry.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

OK, then what is your point? Because I'm getting really strong 'there's nothing you can do so just do nothing' vibes from your post. Yeah, your money's going to go to ~cOrPoRaTiOnS~ but you can choose to limit how much you contribute to whoever's bottom line. Nestlé's water privatisation stance and baby formula shenanigans (and absolute refusal to apologise or change course on either) is why I don't buy their poo poo--and they run the loving country where I live. If you wanted to boycott Kellogg's during the strike, it doesn't look too loving hard according to that chart. Do you really need to boycott all corporations? Does it really make a meaningful difference to them either way? Absolutely not but I still won't give them my loving money unless there really is no alternative. It's sad how quickly people rush in to say 'but that won't topple the system so there's no point in doing it' when all I want is to be able to say I didn't give my money to known unrepentant baby murderers today.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

as always best show ever The Good Place nails it.

Our extremely complicated modern world can make it supremely difficult to make 'Good' choices. But many people will simply use that as a cover for what is in the end laziness: they are unwilling to suffer a slight inconvenience, and sometimes will even deliberately make the 'Evil' choice just to spite the loving do-gooders who are guilting them.

I don't think this actually applies to the chuds, since once again they're just publicly demonstrating their tribal affiliation. They don't care Disney or Nike might actually end up with more of their money.

Yeah there seems to be this obsession with always taking the most efficient action or doing nothing. Like 'if I do a good thing, it should be 100% good and no one should benefit except who I want to help'--people who moan about all the overhead taken by charities as an excuse to just never give to charity, for example. The world's hosed up, we can make it a little better without giving up because we didn't fix everything all at once.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Twelve by Pies posted:

Chick-Fil-A had a ton of support from the Christian crowd even before the anti-gay stuff came out, because the founder was an outspoken Christian and even further showed it by being closed on Sundays. I don't doubt that the anti-gay stuff gave it a boost from chuds, but even if that hadn't happened it would still be extremely popular.

e: Though yeah I don't doubt that a few more got built in places they weren't before solely because of lovely local politicians wanting a way to proudly display their bigotry.

I will say even as an atheist that I am absolutely in favor of businesses being closed on Sunday and it would be nice for our dumbass 24/7 consumer culture to have a break once a week.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

greazeball posted:

OK, then what is your point? Because I'm getting really strong 'there's nothing you can do so just do nothing' vibes from your post. Yeah, your money's going to go to ~cOrPoRaTiOnS~ but you can choose to limit how much you contribute to whoever's bottom line. Nestlé's water privatisation stance and baby formula shenanigans (and absolute refusal to apologise or change course on either) is why I don't buy their poo poo--and they run the loving country where I live. If you wanted to boycott Kellogg's during the strike, it doesn't look too loving hard according to that chart. Do you really need to boycott all corporations? Does it really make a meaningful difference to them either way? Absolutely not but I still won't give them my loving money unless there really is no alternative. It's sad how quickly people rush in to say 'but that won't topple the system so there's no point in doing it' when all I want is to be able to say I didn't give my money to known unrepentant baby murderers today.

No one in this thread is going "lol it's pointless, do nothing." I was just pointing out how stacked the deck is against literally everyone, nothing more. It's like me saying "Hey, every living person is going to die eventually at some point in their life" and you jumping to "I'm getting some really strong 'people should just lay down where they are and stop existing' vibes from that sentence." It's a weird leap, but I don't begrudge you for making it, I guess...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

As far as I can tell it's literally impossible to buy bottled water without supporting some evil corporation. This doesn't mean I should go "lol nothing matters I guess I should just buy whatever I want" since I can still buy water from whatever the least evil corporation is but ultimately I have to realize that in a capitalist system I'm going to end up supporting some sort of bad stuff and I shouldn't beat myself up over it too much. Again, that isn't saying "nothing matters" or "I should do nothing," just that it's capitalism that's the problem, all I can do is the least harm I can (which still isn't zero harm).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

greazeball posted:

Yeah there seems to be this obsession with always taking the most efficient action or doing nothing. Like 'if I do a good thing, it should be 100% good and no one should benefit except who I want to help'--people who moan about all the overhead taken by charities as an excuse to just never give to charity, for example. The world's hosed up, we can make it a little better without giving up because we didn't fix everything all at once.

No one's arguing you can't do it. Or shouldn't.

I'm not speaking for everyone but, personally, I was just arguing about the effectiveness of boycotts and if I was reading some of the responses right, I think that's what they were saying as well. By all means, try to sped your money ethically, but in a society where 95% of the money is controlled by 5% of the people (or whatever it is) the power you can wield by "boycotting" anything is minimal and doesn't really effect anything.

The only "boycotts" that really work are when large advertisers pull their money from FOX or Glen Beck or whatever. Chic Fil A and Hobby Lobby aren't noticing how little money me and my friends spend there, trust me, even though it might make me feel better. And hell, like someone else pointed out, right wing spite shopping to piss off the libs DOES happen and can actually not only offset a boycott but can often increase business for rear end in a top hat companies. I've seen it with my own eyes and worked for places that did it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If I make a consumer choice to not patronize a company for some political reason, I don’t do it because I expect to topple or bankrupt that company due to the lack of my business, quite the opposite.

I do it because it simply bothers me to provide that company with any profit or financial support. I don’t care that “someone else will buy their poo poo anyway”.

Example: Starbucks. Used to patronize them with some regularity. When their CEO postured to get into the US Presidential race with what had every appearance to be an attempted spoiler run that would benefit Trump, that was the last straw for me. I didn’t care that the guy’s Presidential run was an aborted joke, I still don’t go there anymore and am fine with making my own coffee and not wasting money on their overpriced crap. I fully realize that the company is doing fine without my patronage, and that some of my money still likely makes its way to them one way or another in ways that I don’t even know about through some of my purchases, but a LOT less than it used to be, and I feel a lot better that way.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Life is really hard. I'm not going to give anybody poo poo over buying pretty much anything. Blaming global corporate exploitation on people buying the wrong clothing brand or candy bar is like blaming climate change on individuals not separating their plastics and composting.

(It is nice when people try, though!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Professor Beetus posted:

Probably depends on where you live tbh, I feel like it's way more anti-woke bs in areas like mine where they are a relatively recent phenomenon. They didn't even exist here until well after their anti-LGBTQ stuff was widely publicized.

I'm in the deep south where CFA has existed forever and it's definitely only the vocal minority that cares about that. There is a fair share of shitheads here who did their performative stuff a couple years ago when it was in the news but the vast majority of people don't really give a poo poo these days and just want their better-than-ok fried chicken sandwiches.

The real fried chicken secret is Southern Classic but you have to live in a very specific area to be in the know.