Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You are, you have to choose between being a good person or a bad person and deal with the consequences of your choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Tragedy of the commons is always a bitch. Is it because they create fatbergs that block communal pipes and have to be broken up by hand, or a more specialized reason a layperson wouldn't know about? Always interesting to learn about infrastructure stuff.

It's basically false advertising skirting legal issues (now I'm wondering, has that ever been challenged or are they just too big to be punished?). They're "flushable" in that they'll make it through some pipes. They won't make it through all pipes, or pipes with a bit of gunk buildup, or water treatment machinery.

Edit: poking around Google has some cases dismissed in 2018 and 2019 for various reasons, one that's currently ongoing in 2022 but further information was behind a paywall.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 2, 2022

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Elissimpark posted:

I wish I could remember the name of the experiment or the documentary about it, but some scientists were putting little red hats on the males of some type of bird, which made them super attractive to the female birds. This species, from memory, has no red plumage naturally. They put little white hats on other males, which the female birds found horribly unattractive, a feeling which persisted towards the white-hat males, even after their little hats were removed, which seemed a little sad.

Anyway, your post reminded me of it.

can't find this one, but wanted to share this pic of two apparently very sexy finches from a similar experiment

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for being pissed at my sister over an April fools prank and going back on my offer to pick up her dog?

quote:

This stupid day lol. So my GF and I offered to watch my sisters dog tomorrow as we were planning on going on an hour walk at this nice walking area near us and know the dog loves outside time.

My GF is pregnant and due April 10th and she wants to have our kid soon. The doctor said we could do an hour low intensity walk no problem.

Well this morning my sister texted every single member of our families and some friends that we had our kid. Most friends assumed it was an April fools joke and left it alone, but most of the older relatives did not and we spent 3 hours of the day fielding phone calls, some rather overbearing as the annoyance was directed at us and not my sister for the false alarm.

My GF was really stressed about the whole thing (and the calls started coming in 4 hours before she normally gets up so she didn’t get a good sleep) and she started feeling weird so to be safe we went to the doctors which took another 3 hours out of the day. She’s fine and our baby isn’t coming today but it was a work day for me and I lost 6 hours of work time plus just not being able to focus.

My GF doesn’t want to go for the walk tomorrow anymore because she’s tired from everything today and I need the time to catch up on work. So i texted my sister “Funny joke…not. We can’t take our walk tomorrow anymore since the whole day was eaten up dealing with your “prank” so I won’t be picking up Bailey.”

My sister called me right away and started laying into me because she made plans assuming we would have the dog and now if we bailed the dog was going to be home alone. Im pissed at her but don’t want the dog to suffer so I told her if it was dire she could drop him off then and he could stay here while I catch up on work but we aren’t going for a walk anymore and I’m not going an hour out of my way (30 mins between our places) to pick him up after she ruined my day.

She called me an rear end in a top hat and her boyfriend has been texting me that I’m being petty and it was just a joke. He also says they can’t afford the gas to get to my place and back for the dog.

My MIL is staying with us and I asked her opinion and she said my sister was the rear end and she understands me not wanting to go but my mom said I should just get over it and help my sister out since she didn’t mean any harm.

AITA if I make her drop the dog off at the least and at the most make her cancel her plans because I won’t watch him as agreed after this?

just a little jape

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
didn't mean any harm my eye

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Tjadeth posted:

can't find this one, but wanted to share this pic of two apparently very sexy finches from a similar experiment

Yes, the male birds do everything in their tiny power to attract a mate. Like the little bird that takes up residence on my folks' japanese maple.
He sings so loudly and so proudly!

It stirs some kind of warmth in my icy heart to hear the little birds cheeping and peeping!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for putting restrictions on the characters for my dnd group
Get hosed along with your fundie friends. To my (straight) mind, this is a case of if you're not with us, you're against us. You've picked a side, rear end in a top hat.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for putting restrictions on the characters for my dnd group

Sucks but Doug and Jane need to bail. No game is better then being in a bad game, especially with fundie assholes and a enabler DMing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im mostly hung up on being a trans character in the setting where you can be magically transformed into the other gender pretty trivially. the dm should have objected on Lore reasons. anyway this whole argument is stupid and his friends are stupid and the OP is worse for being one of those types who doesn't understand what an unreconcilable conflict is. you can't be friends with fundie weirdos and other groups, or this will happen sooner than later.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Larry Parrish posted:

im mostly hung up on being a trans character in the setting where you can be magically transformed into the other gender pretty trivially. the dm should have objected on Lore reasons.

?

Even if it’s done by magic, that person is still trans.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for walking out of a restaurant because my girlfriend ordered spaghetti?

I [25m] am dating a woman [24] named Ally. We moved in together 5 months ago and I really love her a lot.

quote:

Ally just doesn't have great table manners. She eats noisily and sloppily. In a restaurant environment, usually this isn't too bad because of the natural ambient sound. In a quiet room, it's much more noticeable. I don't exactly like it, but usually I can tolerate it.

However, when Ally eats pasta, she slurps her noodles so loudly that people from other tables look. It's completely mortifying to hear people murmur about her loud slurping all the time. I know this might be normal in some cultures, but from where I'm from in the US, it looks really uncultured and bothers some people who are more sensitive to sounds. I've tried to teach her how to use a spoon to spin the pasta into a ball. Nope, she doesn't want to. I've tried to ask her to take smaller bites. Nope! That's how she eats pasta and that's how she'll always eat pasta. We've been to a local Italian restaurant half a dozen times, and each time but one (in a basically empty restaurant) she humiliated me with her loud slurpy eating.

I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but I agree with the patrons. It's disgusting. People are trying to enjoy a meal.

I finally got frustrated one day and told her that I wouldn't eat noodles with her in public anymore. She can eat alone, or she can go with friends. I'll happily drive her to the restaurant, but I will not sit down with her. She kind of blew off my message with a "oh yeah you're perfect so I get it," and I thought that was that.

Last night, Ally really wanted to go to our local Italian place again. I asked her if she would be ordering spaghetti. She rolled her eyes and said she'd get the lasagna. I agreed that was fine and we went out for the first time in a while. When the waitress came to take our order, Ally completely went back on her promise and ordered spaghetti. I told the waitress I wouldn't be needing anything, stood up, and walked to our car. I relaxed in the car listening to a podcast until Ally came out a while later. She sat down and started giving me the silent treatment.

When we got home she yelled at me about embarrassing her, would not let me say a single word without shrieking over me, and said that she's only interested in an apology. I refused and she went to another room to loudly talk poo poo about me to herself (intentionally so I could hear).

I don't know if I went too far.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Acid Vat for Ally.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So walking out is embarrassing, not slurping so loud that other tables talk about you in disgust?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ha, fair enough. For reference this is a mountain literally in the middle of Phoenix.

And people are incredibly stupid about it because "it's in town how hard can it be".

As a Texan who is used to hiking in 100°F with 78% humidity, some of the trails around Phoenix are just designed to kill humans. Like, it will be 107°F at 11 in the morning, and even though Arizona has drier heat, a lot of the trails have absolutely no shade anywhere and there are some hikes with really steep grades right in the middle of Phoenix. You have to start at or before sunrise in the summer to get a 4 hour hike in before the sun bakes you alive.

The low humidity and extreme heat also makes sweating deceptively dry, at least to me. I had no idea how much I was sweating in the moment because it dries into a salty skin crust faster than I can sweat it out.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

artsy fartsy posted:

Hi I work in wastewater management. Please do not use "flushable" wipes.

Basically nothing that didn't actually come out of your body is really flushable. Toilet paper is okay if you must, but nothing else, please.

i am genuinely interested in this and i would love if you'd make an a/t thread or something!!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Is the thread being weird and not showing posts for anyone else :psyduck:

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

artsy fartsy posted:

Basically nothing that didn't actually come out of your body is really flushable. Toilet paper is okay if you must, but nothing else, please.

moonmazed posted:

i am genuinely interested in this and i would love if you'd make an a/t thread or something!!

Adam Conover went over "flushable" wipes on his show 'Adam Ruins Everything', and yes, they make a huge mess in the sewer. If you have a trash can with a lid to contain the funk, I guess they're fine, that's what we settled on for the kids because they have issues in this department. I get enough fiber and I know the forbidden technique to wipe in a continuous motion, so I don't understand the need, but to each their own.

That said, I thought toilet paper broke down and wasn't a problem. What's wrong with TP?

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yup, I can only see 1 out of every 3 pages and it blows.

EDIT: it was a bug for the Awful app. Updating fixed it!

Metaline fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 2, 2022

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If you're on the awful app they had to push an update due to the change in how the forums displays ignored users. Head to the app store and force an update.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Acid Vat for Ally.

Malachite_Dragon did nothing wrong.

Acid vat for anyone who audibly slurps their pasta.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

moonmazed posted:

Seconding this.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

As a Texan who is used to hiking in 100°F with 78% humidity, some of the trails around Phoenix are just designed to kill humans. Like, it will be 107°F at 11 in the morning, and even though Arizona has drier heat, a lot of the trails have absolutely no shade anywhere and there are some hikes with really steep grades right in the middle of Phoenix. You have to start at or before sunrise in the summer to get a 4 hour hike in before the sun bakes you alive.

The low humidity and extreme heat also makes sweating deceptively dry, at least to me. I had no idea how much I was sweating in the moment because it dries into a salty skin crust faster than I can sweat it out.

Phoenix and that entire area as a whole is designed to kill people. If you're stuck there and can't leave, the last thing you should do is exercise outdoors if you want to stay alive. If surviving there isn't extreme enough for you, use a rock wall at an indoor gym or something. Even experienced hikers die all the time there. I visited my uncle there for a weekend in July where we tried to restrict our outdoor time solely to walking to and from the car and everyone still had to drink multiple bottles of water daily.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 2, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

i'm extremely jealous of malachite's sixer. I WORK SO HARD FOR THIS THREAD AND I GET NOTHING

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

erosion posted:

That said, I thought toilet paper broke down and wasn't a problem. What's wrong with TP?

Oh it's fine, I was being facetious.

moonmazed posted:

I don't think I have enough material for a whole thread--I don't work at one of those giant municipal plants or anything like that.

My tiny state park wastewater plant is adorable, though. I keep goldfish in the clarifier to eat the algae. :3:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for not wanting my (29F) husband (31M) to teach our future baby Spanish?

quote:

Okay so I’m in a bit of a dilemma here.

I am currently 37 weeks pregnant so we are getting ready to receive our girl. The problem is my husband has recently told me he wants to teach her Spanish too.

The thing is, he isn‘t even Spanish! He was born here but lived on Spain since he was 4 until he was 19. Now, if he had some sort of cultural or family connection to Spain then I might consider it. But he is American!

When he initially told me at around 21 weeks I thought he was joking so I let it go, but now that he brought it up again I told him how I felt about it.

I told him what I told you guys above and that it would be hard for her because they are very different languages.

He started arguing that there are many kids that are raised bilingual and are very smart but I also feel like it might cut me from my child.

He is mad at me for not accepting and I can’t help but wonder if I was an rear end in a top hat here.

quote:

As a full grown adult with a job and responsibilities, it isn’t really possible for me. [to learn spanish]

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
comfortable racist vs the volcano isnt the best movie title but...

e: lol fully grown adult. im like a .75 grown adult and i can get by enough to poo poo, eat and travel in at least 4 languages

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Must be cool to be bilingual. I really struggle with languages other than English, very envious of those who were raised with a second language.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Mx. posted:

OP's child won't hate her because they speak Spanish; they'll hate her because she's racist. Pro spoiler use.

keep punching joe posted:

Must be cool to be bilingual. I really struggle with languages other than English, very envious of those who were raised with a second language.

It's never too late to learn. Maybe you might like using the owl app? It's a lot less stressful and time consuming than a traditional classroom environment. Even if you don't gain 100% fluency, you won't be any worse off.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
That woman sucks so much. I'm still slightly mad my parents stopped speaking Hindi with me when we moved back to the US at 5 and so totally lost the language.

Speaking more languages is great!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Acid Vat for Ally.

Lmfao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mx. posted:

lmao. what a dipshit

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

AITA for walking out of a restaurant because my girlfriend ordered spaghetti?

I [25m] am dating a woman [24] named Ally. We moved in together 5 months ago and I really love her a lot.

it's not just ally eating like a toddler, it's her doing this poo poo:

quote:

When we got home she yelled at me about embarrassing her, would not let me say a single word without shrieking over me, and said that she's only interested in an apology. I refused and she went to another room to loudly talk poo poo about me to herself (intentionally so I could hear).

in response to OP setting a boundary and sticking to it. just imagine dealing with that every time you had a disagreement with your SO and going yeah, this seems worth it, this is the kind of thing that i want in my life forever

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Foo Diddley posted:

sorry sweetie, you can't learn guitar anymore; daddy wanted several rooms to himself to play video games in

e: lmao

no answer of course

No you see men need a space for the things they enjoy, like games and drinking! Women get the rest of the house for their hobbies, like child care, clean furniture, mop, the kitchen, decorative hand towels, and washing machine.

Tjadeth posted:

omg :kimchi:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for just stating my type?

quote:

I (21M) live my parents still. I work on college from home, but I don't have a job just yet. My brother (23M) lives with us and works a full-time job. He's a bit of a playboy, so he brings a lot of girls home to meet our parents. He hasn't had a long lasting relationship, but I have none. I'm not sure what he has that I don't; we work out the same, we almost look the same, and we have a similar personality most of the time. But I honestly didn't mind it. He was just luckier than I.

Lemme preface that I have a strong preference for Latinas. Do you know Maddy Perez from Euphoria? She's literally the type of Latina I dream of dating. I'm not necessarily a creep about it, but I basically checked my brother's new girlfriend out. She looked SO similar to Maddy and I couldn't help but give my brother props.

One day visiting our house, I kept asking his new girlfriend if she's seen Euphoria. She said yes. I said she looks so much like Maddy, a spicy Latina, and talks a lot like her too. She laughed at first, saying she took inspiration from Maddy for her makeup and style, but she acted the same way before watching the show. I told her that all Latinas, like herself, are gorgeous and carry a fiery attitude that I absolutely loved. She ended up awkwardly laughing at my comments, but silently avoided me a bit.

After she left, my brother slammed down his fist and told me to shut the gently caress up around her. Our parents weren't home, so they weren't around to break up the fight, but we got into a huge argument. He accused me of not only trying to "steal" his girl, but also for reducing her to an "object." That wasn't my intent. I told my brother that I just really like Latinas and have a preference for him. It doesn't mean I'm going to make a move on his girl. But he told me not to disrespect her around him again.

I told some friends and they mostly agreed with me. One of them said I might've been a bit creepy. This inspired me to make this post. AITA for just stating my type?

i'm not necessarily a creep about it, BUT

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just changed the thread title yesterday.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

I learned Swedish at 25-26, though immersion and free classes helped immensely. Might start Finnish with my partner soon

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

artsy fartsy posted:

Do not follow The Way of the Fatberg!

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for just stating my type?

i'm not necessarily a creep about it, BUT

Poor OP's never had a girlfriend. Must just be his bad luck. Nothing to do with the fact that he can't talk to a woman he's attracted to without bringing up the racist stereotypes that he's hot for. Or that he can't read social cues like awkward, uncomfortable laughter as a signal to back the gently caress off.

He must just be single because of his awful, awful luck.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can't figure out whether or not he actually said "spicy Latina" out loud to her.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can't figure out whether or not he actually said "spicy Latina" out loud to her.

Look into your heart, it knows the truth

Not only did he say spicy Latina, he did weird eyebrow raises as he said it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bargearse posted:

Malachite_Dragon did nothing wrong.

Acid vat for anyone who audibly slurps their pasta.

lmao