Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Genghis Cohen posted:

I feel like Goblin city and Black Monolith might be the overall hardest? But OTOH I go through ~30 goblins or ancient dead like no-one's business.

The goblin city is entirely dependent on if it spawns in the mountains or not. If you get a hosed up mountain map it can be very tricky, if not it’s basically a slightly larger goblin pack which at some point you can just plow through like it doesn’t exist.

I would recommend 2+, preferably 3-4 good archers if you can manage it though just to help snipe out some of their amubushers and overlords so they don’t focus down a couple bros before you can get to them. There will be a lot of skirmishes in the way for the first few rounds for the rest of your bros. If you can snipe a shaman or 2 it helps a lot too. The extra bow range is very useful, especially if indeed on a mountain where you can get limited in attack approaches.

The monolith is basically more about the priests and honor guard being a problem en-masse, so keeping those tanks around as sacrificials units may not be a bad idea for it. You can very easily start losing good bros to the combo of constant priest stuff and honor guard with warscythes slowly loving your line up, so any way to focus that damage into high MDef or sacrificial bros where you can is helpful.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Molybdenum posted:

I think the first goon is asking if you can do the instant repair at a smithy for items your characters are currently wearing, rather than undressing them, repairing in inventory and re-equipping.

Yea, this is what I meant, mainly when having fights back to back near a town for whatever reason. I guess you can't, but it does not matter too much.

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe
Pressing alt+left mouse button on a piece you want repaired i think. It`s modestly expensive?

Edit, didnt catch the part on not doing inventory juggling, i reed gud!

germlin fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 21, 2022

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Mazz posted:

The goblin city is entirely dependent on if it spawns in the mountains or not. If you get a hosed up mountain map it can be very tricky, if not it’s basically a slightly larger goblin pack which at some point you can just plow through like it doesn’t exist.

I would recommend 2+, preferably 3-4 good archers if you can manage it though just to help snipe out some of their amubushers and overlords so they don’t focus down a couple bros before you can get to them. There will be a lot of skirmishes in the way for the first few rounds for the rest of your bros. If you can snipe a shaman or 2 it helps a lot too. The extra bow range is very useful, especially if indeed on a mountain where you can get limited in attack approaches.

The monolith is basically more about the priests and honor guard being a problem en-masse, so keeping those tanks around as sacrificials units may not be a bad idea for it. You can very easily start losing good bros to the combo of constant priest stuff and honor guard with warscythes slowly loving your line up, so any way to focus that damage into high MDef or sacrificial bros where you can is helpful.

Thanks very much! Unfortunately I am quite light on ranged in this company (Oathtakers are limited to 18 men; I went with 1 archer/thrower and 2 thrower/duelists). But will have a go, found the city and need to sack 2 more camps, which I've already spotted. Number of shamans does make a difference though, even playing against two, while not a huge risk to my guys, is a pain with the constant de-vining. Same with massed nets. So I get that when you dial the number of goblins up linearly +100%, the danger to your guys may go up more than that, especially given the AI propensity for focus-firing on one or two bros.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
140 hours and finally hit an end game event :woop:

Thanks everyone in this thread that's given advice, it's been instrumental in me not sucking complete rear end anymore!

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

camoseven posted:

140 hours and finally hit an end game event :woop:

Thanks everyone in this thread that's given advice, it's been instrumental in me not sucking complete rear end anymore!

Hell Yeah! The game was bought for me as a gift and I bounced off it 4 or 5 times over the course of a few years, then really decided to give it a fair go (And turn off ironman). Now I have about 1000 hours.

Haven't been playing much, in fact I haven't even checked out the latest FreeLC (mostly due to getting a new comp that can run total war games and ofc Elden Ring) but love this thread and the game!

Can't wait to see what else overhype has cooking, I think I have maybe one more campaign in me then I've squeezed every drop out of BBros. Best twenty bucks I ever spent lol

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Just give me a god drat macOS port. It’s on everything else. Even iOS would do. It’s absolutely hilarious that I’m about to move to a Mac and this of all things is the game I’m most concerned about getting up and running.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

rideANDxORdie posted:

Hell Yeah! The game was bought for me as a gift and I bounced off it 4 or 5 times over the course of a few years, then really decided to give it a fair go (And turn off ironman). Now I have about 1000 hours.

Haven't been playing much, in fact I haven't even checked out the latest FreeLC (mostly due to getting a new comp that can run total war games and ofc Elden Ring) but love this thread and the game!

Can't wait to see what else overhype has cooking, I think I have maybe one more campaign in me then I've squeezed every drop out of BBros. Best twenty bucks I ever spent lol

Yea I've got a lot more enjoyment to get. I've only got one expansion so far!

Also my end game was nobles at war, and I did it for a while and thought "ok not too bad", then I took a raider contract which went well for like 3 days and then I got my poo poo pushed in by 20 footmen/billhooks/arbalests lol.

Now it's hard to go back to poo poo bros and poo poo armor!!

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Just got to my second end game crisis ever and proceeded to lose four of my best bros to two noble commanders, or whatever it is called. Bye bye Gretzky, you were one helluva awesome twohander.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

camoseven posted:

Yea I've got a lot more enjoyment to get. I've only got one expansion so far!

Also my end game was nobles at war, and I did it for a while and thought "ok not too bad", then I took a raider contract which went well for like 3 days and then I got my poo poo pushed in by 20 footmen/billhooks/arbalests lol.

Now it's hard to go back to poo poo bros and poo poo armor!!

That contract always turns out to be the one I regret taking. I mean, they even tell you, "don't stay too long or house X will gently caress you up," but man, three days into my first one and I got jumped twice by 20+ mercenaries.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This is why it irritates me when people tell new players to pick nobles as their first crisis. For an experienced player, it's the highest profit crisis, and they can usually beat a 20 man noble army quite comfortably by that point in the game without losses, but new players generally can't, or they do it then get hit by another one right away and get slaughtered.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Case in point, I won my first fight versus a real noble army with a commander with only a couple of losses. The second fight fully decimated my company, with a single bro managing to survive.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, just pick undead for the first one. You can mostly ignore it, but the defend town contracts are pretty easy so long as you have that one cool sarge with ridiculous amounts of resolve.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I always recommend undead as the easiest.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm fine getting my rear end kicked by the end game crisis tbh. I just put it on random. Gotta learn somehow!

My new run is going well already too. gently caress spears, knife these fuckers and steal their armor!!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

nobles are the most fun to fight of the endgame crisis options and they drop the best loot. get everyone a swan hat

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Raiders / nobles have the most variety and srsly seem the most interesting to fight to me. Just about every other faction has like 1-4 loadouts for their guys. Okay gobbos have some interesting stuff too.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I bought this game when it was released but I bounced hard the first time. Two weeks ago I was in lockdown (got covid) and had a lot of free time so I decided to give this another chance.

First campaign, didn't know what I was doing and gave up on day 65 or so, totally ineficient use of my time and I got poo poo gear and bad builds.

Second try, got much better on the campaign layer and in battle, however I tried to go straight for late game armor and failed hard, scraped the whole thing around day 70 or so because I was getting wrecked.

Third try (on a really good seed, I might add), worked like a charm, built the initial generation of bros around nimble and 2H QH builds and worked like a charm, battleforged bros came later. Ended the Noble war crisis on day 108 and I'm aiming to complete another crisis and some legendary locations before wrapping up.

I'm addicted.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

I bought this game when it was released but I bounced hard the first time. Two weeks ago I was in lockdown (got covid) and had a lot of free time so I decided to give this another chance.

First campaign, didn't know what I was doing and gave up on day 65 or so, totally ineficient use of my time and I got poo poo gear and bad builds.

Second try, got much better on the campaign layer and in battle, however I tried to go straight for late game armor and failed hard, scraped the whole thing around day 70 or so because I was getting wrecked.

Third try (on a really good seed, I might add), worked like a charm, built the initial generation of bros around nimble and 2H QH builds and worked like a charm, battleforged bros came later. Ended the Noble war crisis on day 108 and I'm aiming to complete another crisis and some legendary locations before wrapping up.

I'm addicted.

The classic Battle Brothers experience. 1. I have no idea what I'm doing but I think this would be fun if I did. 2. I think I'm getting the hang of this, it isn't too bad oh my god that berserker just one-shotted my best guy. 3. :black101:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Just had my first fight against a Hexe. Looked on the wiki and was like "drat this might be hard". Turn 1 resisted the charm then one shot her with a bow bro lol. Beginner's luck...

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

camoseven posted:

Just had my first fight against a Hexe. Looked on the wiki and was like "drat this might be hard". Turn 1 resisted the charm then one shot her with a bow bro lol. Beginner's luck...

First time fighting a new enemy is scary. I've just busted my first camp with a mix of ancient priests, necrosavants and 20+ skelybois, very intense experience, got away with just one minor permanent injury. Miasma is bullshit.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Bone armour or fur padding for nimble melee bros?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

8 Ball posted:

Generally you want bone plating for nimble units and fur padding for heavy armor wearers; though there are exceptions - I would give a fencer Hyena fur; and I quite like the unholy fur cloak for archers since they tend to hang back and are more likely to be hit by ranged attacks than melee ones.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Holy poo poo I just got TWO named items from a goblin camp! Woooooo!!!!!!!!!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

camoseven posted:

Holy poo poo I just got TWO named items from a goblin camp! Woooooo!!!!!!!!!

Pretty sweet when that happens!

8 Ball posted:

I always use Bone Plating for nimble melee, unless they have Dodge, then I go Hyena Fur.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

goblins are just the most annoying frequently found enemy

STOP THROWING NETS ON ME

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Missing 6 80% chance to hits only to get absolutely loving murdered by low percentage attacks on the next turn.

Goodbye every good bro i had. I guess i'm retiring this run. This loving game sometimes :argh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EmbryoSteve posted:

goblins are just the most annoying frequently found enemy

STOP THROWING NETS ON ME

One of the things I appreciate about Goblins is even when you're in good shape to kick their teeth in, they can be so annoying that it makes you make mistakes fighting them.

The event text if you beat enough gobbo camps where one of your guys is like 'Man I'm gonna see them flinging those goddamn little bolas at me in my dreams forever' is relatable.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I hate the greenskin crisis because it’s just 100s of those loving goblins on top of Orcs and not only are the fights pretty boring they drop almost nothing good. At least with Nobles you get some knights and zweihanders and the undead will have some new locations pop up with named honor guard and such.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Night10194 posted:

One of the things I appreciate about Goblins is even when you're in good shape to kick their teeth in, they can be so annoying that it makes you make mistakes fighting them.

The event text if you beat enough gobbo camps where one of your guys is like 'Man I'm gonna see them flinging those goddamn little bolas at me in my dreams forever' is relatable.

So many hours in this game and I have not seen that event text. I feel like maybe I need to pump resolve on myself the next time I level up.

poo poo.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

wanna play as an orc and goblin warband thatd be sick

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What constitutes an "enemy champion" for the purposes of the Give Me That achievement?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tias posted:

What constitutes an "enemy champion" for the purposes of the Give Me That achievement?

Champions are special randomly generated named versions of enemies that have better stats/gear and always have a named item on them. They start cropping up in the mid to late game, and there is a follower you can recruit that increases your chances of encountering them. The game seems to like spawning goblin champions more often that others for some reason.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
That resigned feeling when you miss a net and a shroomed up orc berserker decapitates 3 of your finest peasant militia

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Lindwurms are bullshit, enormous risk for very little reward.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Angry Lobster posted:

Yea I always run, they're stupid

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

I generally agree, although they can offer some good armour attachments. I'm a dirty save-scummer so I'll happily tackle 2-4 with a late game party.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Angry Lobster posted:

There is a trick to fighting them, albeit it's still pretty slow and tedious.

If you swap the whole army to poleweapons and ranged, you can keep 2 spaces of distance between the head and your guys at at all times and this forces the tail to move into combat range, not the heads by the way of how they are programmed to move. The tails, very crucially, do not impart a Zone of Control, so that target they advance on can always continue to move away.

You just kite like this forever, constantly positioning so you know where the tail is going to be and just beating it the gently caress up, avoiding the heads entirely.

It's generally slow going and requires a constant eye on repositioning to avoid the heads doing poo poo like changing targets and catching you off guard (especially against 3+ lindwurms), but it does keep your guys from dying and also keeps everyone away from acid spit. That being said, once you get the named helmet that blocks all acid spit and a lindwurm cloak attachment, you can start assigning a strong tank bro to hold 1-2 in place and speed it up a lot as well. Preferably a 2H superbro who can greatsword both the head and tail while tanking them.

You can also split your guys up in groups and try to split the wurms up, trying to localize fights against individual wurms and kiting the rest.

Another strat is just kiting them into the biggest enemy group you can find and engaging them together.

This screenshot is actually me doing all of the above together to kill 8 for no losses:

That being said, unless you have a specific reason to fight them and can't just retreat if they ambush you, 90% of the time you should just flee and do something better.

EDIT: Also there is a non-zero chance of the of the blazing deserts patches may have changed how the tails work; I think the above should all still work but YMMV, I haven't fought them in long while.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 2, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Mazz posted:

EDIT: Also there is a non-zero chance of the of the blazing deserts patches may have changed how the tails work; I think the above should all still work but YMMV, I haven't fought them in long while.

I'm almost sure the tails generate zone of control and the heads can attack and move now, so it was probably patched in at some point, they are a giant pain in the rear end to deal with. The polearms/ranged is still a good call to avoid the acid blood mechanic though.

I'm in the middle of a raiders of the north origin campaign (around day 55) and got offered the contract to kill Lindwurms, didn't expect them to be so drat powerful. My company is pretty ahead of the curve but there's no way I can kill three of them without massive casualties, so after a couple tries I gave up, reloaded and declined the contract. To my limited understanding, these things are basically a challenge meant for late game companies and must be avoided.

Thank god I don't play Ironman :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm almost sure the tails generate zone of control and the heads can attack and move now, so it was probably patched in at some point, they are a giant pain in the rear end to deal with. The polearms/ranged is still a good call to avoid the acid blood mechanic though.

I'm in the middle of a raiders of the north origin campaign (around day 55) and got offered the contract to kill Lindwurms, didn't expect them to be so drat powerful. My company is pretty ahead of the curve but there's no way I can kill three of them without massive casualties, so after a couple tries I gave up, reloaded and declined the contract. To my limited understanding, these things are basically a challenge meant for late game companies and must be avoided.

Thank god I don't play Ironman :v:

Yeah 3 lindwurms is absolutely not a 'day 55' Job.