Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
RF5: Am i missing something or can you not see the loving skill level required to make an item? You can sort by skill level, but what IS IT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
There is no skill level requirement to make items, just to learn recipes. As long as you have enough max RP you can make anything, though items you don't know the recipe for require much more RP and are likely out of you range without shenanigans.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dirk the Average posted:

As mentioned, eat farming bread to learn new tool recipes. If you can't learn new tool recipes, then you need to upgrade your forging skill (the skill levels for tools are are 5, 15, 30, 45, 80). You almost certainly have the farming/mining/logging/whatever to at least get bronze tools by now.

The only real "gathering" skill is Mining (yes, searching exists, but...). That'll help you get better ores in larger quantities. Smack rocks with a hammer. Make a better hammer. Smack better rocks with a hammer. Gems also sell for a decent amount too, so that can be a nice way to supplement income since gem/ore nodes respawn daily.

Also remember that you need a LOT of wood/stone to upgrade your fields/barns/etc. It's definitely worth finding out where stumps and rocks spawn every day and dedicating an in-game hour or three to chopping wood and mining stone.

Once you do get tools that are better than iron (the cheap tools), you can charge them up to do things like water in a larger area. The sickle also has a really neat property - if you chop a fully grown crop, it'll spit out a higher level seed. This is capped by the quality of the sickle though, so you need the best sickle in the game to get a level 10 seed, and correspondingly worse sickles have lower maximum levels of seeds. If you sell a crop or a seed that is a higher level, the store will actually start selling you seeds at that level, so you can eventually be growing every crop at level 10.

I don't think I've ever found a gem...

Also if iron tools are the "cheap" ones then I have the one above that. Whichever material that is. I thought iron would be better than bronze, silly me.

So go hit rocks. Where can I find these gem rocks?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

LostRook posted:

There is no skill level requirement to make items, just to learn recipes. As long as you have enough max RP you can make anything, though items you don't know the recipe for require much more RP and are likely out of you range without shenanigans.

I'm aware but I want to know the rough requirement so I can efficiently level up a skill. Oh well.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

RF5: Am i missing something or can you not see the loving skill level required to make an item? You can sort by skill level, but what IS IT?

You’re playing docked, I assume? If you’re playing in handheld it shows the actual recipe level. I forgot how close your skill needs to be to the recipe for it to not cost way too much RP.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Silver Falcon posted:

Also if iron tools are the "cheap" ones then I have the one above that. Whichever material that is. I thought iron would be better than bronze, silly me.

Gem rocks have a shiny look to them. Emerald will have green sparklies in them, aquamarine blue etc. There are several in the first and 2nd dungeon for example.

Also the ore tier for farm tools you need to care about :
iron->bronze->silver->gold->platinum.

Edit: Wait, wtf? Why can you see the item level in handheld but not in docked mode?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm aware but I want to know the rough requirement so I can efficiently level up a skill. Oh well.

Half the "RP required" shown in the menu where you select it. Note that's in the big list, the rp when you are selecting ingredients is how much you actually use, which can be many times as much.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I not sure what other people are saying, but I'm pretty sure the recipe level is just the number to the right of the recipe in the recipe list.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Silver Falcon posted:

Rocks for mining are found in dungeons. Usually they're in the beginning or end of the dungeon. If you walk up to them, they'll tell you what kind of mining node they are. And yeah, it's silly, but it's iron -> bronze -> silver -> gold, etc.

OneDeadman posted:

I not sure what other people are saying, but I'm pretty sure the recipe level is just the number to the right of the recipe in the recipe list.

The trick, as mentioned above, is that if you're playing docked in RF5 you can't see the recipe level. It's some weird display thing apparently?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

OneDeadman posted:

I always use my switch docked. I just checked, and yes its true.
IN HANDHELD.
Docked you can't see them.

I'm also stuck on Lucys 2nd big event, I can't find any way to proceed. Is this one of the weird events where I actually need to proceed the story for things to go on again? I recently unlocked Ludmilla and some stuff happened in town.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dirk the Average posted:

Also remember that you need a LOT of wood/stone to upgrade your fields/barns/etc. It's definitely worth finding out where stumps and rocks spawn every day and dedicating an in-game hour or three to chopping wood and mining stone.

I just hit the rocks/stumps 8 time and then go through a loading zone to refresh their health. If I leave them up on the dragon it's real quick since I can just pop in and out of the barn.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FrickenMoron posted:

IN HANDHELD.

I'm also stuck on Lucys 2nd big event, I can't find any way to proceed. Is this one of the weird events where I actually need to proceed the story for things to go on again? I recently unlocked Ludmilla and some stuff happened in town.

I'm at the same point. I think the plot just locks the events completely until you continue.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Now that I’ve got Ludmilla in my town and summer is here, I think I’ll focus on grinding up my crafting and forging skills so I can stomp the remaining dungeons.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Where do I find materials in the Stones category? Granted I'm not the greatest at exploring for crafting materials, but I'm at the Crystal Caverns in the plot and I still haven't found any Stone to craft a better farming axe.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Just use stones lying around your farm.

Otherwise, that stuff drops from golem type monsters.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

LostRook posted:

Just use stones lying around your farm.
Ugh, I could've sworn I'd tried that and wasn't able to use them, but I clearly didn't. Thanks!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

IN HANDHELD.

Even by the standards of the rest of this game, this is loving baffling, how did they do that?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How do you actually get resources from enemies without killing them in RF5? I don't understand this mechanic yet.

Also dang Ludmilla sure is tall, and thirsty.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I didn't know I could give hand-made stuff to NPCs and they'd give me stuff in return (for 5 gifts). I'm now spending way too long handing Terry cheap shields to fish for good accessories (he already gave me a star pendant).

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It works for the blacksmith guy too and he can gift you any hammer, even the endgame ones.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Terry: almost any accessory in the game
Darroch: various hammers depending on story progression up to a 5555 attack one, which not the highest attack weapon, but more than enough to take you deep into the postgame dungeon
Ryker and Radea: Scales including rare ones from dragon enemies only found in the postgame area
Murakumo: Claws and Horns including Dangerous Scissors, which is one of the best attack upgrade materials and needed in higher level weapon recipes

gonna dump the JP and EN wikis too

JP
- https://gamewith.jp/runefactory
- https://appmedia.jp/rf5 (mostly a copy of the above)

EN (WIP):
- https://www.neoseeker.com/rune-factory-5/

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FrickenMoron posted:

How do you actually get resources from enemies without killing them in RF5? I don't understand this mechanic yet.

Also dang Ludmilla sure is tall, and thirsty.

Lock onto them and tap ZR when the lock icon disappears. Tap, not hold down as that's for temp capturing them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Some more minor grievances:

Ever since Lucas joined the town Heinz isnt at the shop counter anymore. When/Where can I buy misc. stuff from him?
Also the goddamn load times make me want to never visit my barns, its such a chore.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Heinz usually still hangs out in the shop. He's usually on the right.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

Ever since Lucas joined the town Heinz isnt at the shop counter anymore. When/Where can I buy misc. stuff from him?
He enters the shop at 3 PM every non-HOL day. Give or take - some days he's in there at 2:30 some days he's in there at 3:05. And yes, this is an inconvenient pain in the rear end.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks, that helps. Sucks that its not a NPC thats around town all ray like Raven in RF4.
Is there any list of what to feed to your barn monsters yet to raise stats like crit etc?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I TAMED A GIANT CHICKEN!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Silver Falcon posted:

I TAMED A GIANT CHICKEN!

Good job. Also you will now never find items in the barn again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Now that I'm in postgame, not having an actual objective is letting me slow down a bit and focus on systems I didn't engage too much with before, and I have a few questions

What actually gives you the points you use for directives/remodels? Is there anything you can do to speed up acquiring them?

Do monsters give you their drop/steal items if you stick them in a barn? I only have monsters with obvious products (sheep/chickens/cows) and a boss monster who doesn't give anything right now. It'd be nice to have a ready source of sticks or strings though, if I can just tame a squirrel and get regular sticks or whatever

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

cheetah7071 posted:

Now that I'm in postgame, not having an actual objective is letting me slow down a bit and focus on systems I didn't engage too much with before, and I have a few questions

What actually gives you the points you use for directives/remodels? Is there anything you can do to speed up acquiring them?

Do monsters give you their drop/steal items if you stick them in a barn? I only have monsters with obvious products (sheep/chickens/cows) and a boss monster who doesn't give anything right now. It'd be nice to have a ready source of sticks or strings though, if I can just tame a squirrel and get regular sticks or whatever

As far as monsters go, Some (not all of them) drop their loot items. Its a good way to accumulate crafting materials easily.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

cheetah7071 posted:

Most things give you those points passively but hunting wanted monsters gives you a big chunk.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

cheetah7071 posted:

Buffalloo horns count as stick/stems, so catching one of them is nice. All 4 flowers give you something too. Spiders and the beetles will cover your string and cloth/skin needs. Mushrooms give powders, and silver wolves will give fangs. That said, not every variant will give you something if you catch it, but I’m just listing off the top of my head.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
RF5: has anyone else have had crashes? The game crashed twice so far in the middle of a day for me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've had three crfashes, but they all happened during boss fights so it was easy enough to just load my pre-boss save

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Bosses give you 30pt per, so you can make a circuit everyday and hit all the bosses for a fair bit of gain. One of the 5 star wanted monsters gives you a crest that increases pt gain too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm at the same point. I think the plot just locks the events completely until you continue.

So I can confirm that yes you do need to beat the next boss to unlock the character events after Ludmilla is introduced.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FrickenMoron posted:

RF5: has anyone else have had crashes? The game crashed twice so far in the middle of a day for me.

My game has crashed or frozen three times now, and I've gotten kind of tired of it costing me hours of my day, to the point where it's heavily curtailed my interest in continuing to play. I can deal with low frame rates and stuff, but losing progress just kills my will to redo said progress.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Finally had some time to play this. I was a huuuuge RF4 buff but I'm finding RF5 to be pretty lackluster. I agree with most everything in the thread about the sentiment - it feels like it barely made it to the finish line. I'm so thrilled it exists but sad that it doesn't seem to come near beating RF4.

Speaking of annoying things, why does it take literally 3 seconds to offensive spells? I wanted to do magic but the magic books take so long to cast.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

FrickenMoron posted:

I've had two crashes so far. The first wasn't too significant, but the second was at the end of a day, basically right before saving and sleeping. I normally only save right before bosses or going to bed. It so happened that I had gotten to that day via an overnight event. I didn't think to save in the morning and the game didn't autosave.

So I lost two entire days of progress when it crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I haven’t had a single crash and often leave the game paused/ suspended. However I also play exclusively in handheld mode.