Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Nicol Bolas the Ravager is 4cmc, hits all opponent and is a win con when you flip him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

One is hardly a plethora, though.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Heath posted:

Is this what power creep does to people, where they won't even get out of bed for a creature in the command zone that doesn't just either win the game outright or at least lock everybody else out of the game for seven Mana? It's not difficult at all to get 7 (or more) Mana pretty early on in Commander. That's hardly a prohibitive cost.

The cure for power creep, in my opinion, is playing worse decks. The deck I'm having the most fun with right now is a Kangee Sky Warden deck with a Mox Field price of <$30. I include tap lands and 3/4 mana cmc ramp rocks, and generally set the tempo of the game by poking everyone at the table with little flyers.

It's very rewarding building a very tuned/optimized deck on a shoestring budget/using your bulk rares and uncommons.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Jeleva and Kess are both strictly better commanders, it's dirt loving easy to make a good Obeka deck.

This guy is not good at all. They deliberately chose to make this guy not hit all opponents, didn't make the values round up, and made him 7 loving mana. Play him if you want, I'm not going to stop you, but if someone gave me a list with this guy at the helm I'm going to ask them why, when there are better commanders available.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The problem with him is that he doesn't actually do anything in this format.

Making one opponent discard half their hand rounded down of their choosing is a minor inconvenience for one of your three opponents, and they will keep all of their most relevant cards. This barely impacts anyone especially if they're in a winning position.

You can't leverage his body offensively because his second ability actively helps quite a lot of decks, and even if you can safely attack he has no evasion.

His death trigger is the only decent ability, and even it is only an inconvenience. It slows one person down by getting rid of some of their mana rocks or tokens, but cannot eliminate any real threats.

He costs seven mana and in no way advances you toward winning the game, or even provides meaningful cover for you to develop other means of winning the game. If he at least hit all opponents that would give you some breathing room in like a control deck, but even then I honestly don't think he would be worth playing over any of the other Grixis commanders that see a lot of play. He doesn't even have any kind of fun synergy with other cards or an archetype to build around. He just paints a target on your own head because he looks a lot scarier than he actually is.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Blade of Selves makes tokens that are tapped and attacking, so they would not trigger the "When X attacks" trigger. Helm of the Host would give you a non-legendary token to get a second trigger with.

E:

Blade of Selves tokens would still be legendary, so you'd get to pop 'em all (keeping the real one) and get as many death triggers as there are opponents, lol.

So wait, even though the text on the card says "Whenever Lord Xander attacks, defending player mills half their library rounded down"

The tokens themselves created when Blade of Selves activates, are not considered a Xander due to the "Legendary Rule"? Where the first ETB would trigger, but since it's attacking in a different way the second wouldn't happen? I'm confused. Also with the "Double Strike" ability does that mean an attack trigger on a creature would trigger twice?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jiro posted:

So wait, even though the text on the card says "Whenever Lord Xander attacks, defending player mills half their library rounded down"

The tokens themselves created when Blade of Selves activates, are not considered a Xander due to the "Legendary Rule"? Where the first ETB would trigger, but since it's attacking in a different way the second wouldn't happen? I'm confused. Also with the "Double Strike" ability does that mean an attack trigger on a creature would trigger twice?

Since the tokens come into play attacking, they skip the "when X attacks" timing

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Jiro posted:

They would be considered Xander. If a copy isn't treated as legendary, it will be explicitly called out like on Double Major. You'd need an effect like Mirror Gallery or the more recent and massively superior Mirror Box if you wanted him to hang out with his clones.

The ETB triggers would apply, but the "when X attacks" trigger wouldn't. Attacking is specifically part of the declare attackers step (as part of the combat phase); if something enters tapped and attacking, that won't trigger "when X attacks." Double strike wouldn't give two triggers for a similar reason — they'll deal damage twice, but they only attacked once. There's an explicit ruling for this on Hero of Bladehold:

quote:

Although the tokens are attacking, they never were declared as attacking creatures (for purposes of abilities that trigger whenever a creature attacks, for example).

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Elysiume posted:

They would be considered Xander. If a copy isn't treated as legendary, it will be explicitly called out like on Double Major. You'd need an effect like Mirror Gallery or the more recent and massively superior Mirror Box if you wanted him to hang out with his clones.

The ETB triggers would apply, but the "when X attacks" trigger wouldn't. Attacking is specifically part of the declare attackers step (as part of the combat phase); if something enters tapped and attacking, that won't trigger "when X attacks." Double strike wouldn't give two triggers for a similar reason — they'll deal damage twice, but they only attacked once. There's an explicit ruling for this on Hero of Bladehold:

Thank you! That's a super helpful clarification. I guess you could use Mirage Mirror in conjunction with Mirror Box, Mirror Image, Vesuvan Doppleganger, the Sakashimas,

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Xander is... really really clunky and really low impact for his cost and ETB alone. If you're spending that much mana on a spell and you resolve it, it should be something strong and swing the game in your favor immediately imo, not just very very incrementally over the span of 3+ turns.

Guess I'm just a fun hater or something, but I want my expensive spells to be more than what Xander has to offer.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Raffine is close and I think a few years ago, it might have seemed better. Fairly cheap, decent defensive body, and it gives some card selection by itself. But that's not really enough to compete with options out there right now. Shame, because it's so close to what I'd be into.

Xander is just bad. Seven mana?? lol Maybe if you have infinite mana and a sacrifice outlet, but even then you're not winning the game. Grixis has so many better options. Just glancing at what's available, I was able to pick 12 options in this color identity that I'd say are better.

Jetmir looks like a fat Jar Jar Binks and I can't not see it. The card itself is... eh. Naya hatebears/pod maybe?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Batterypowered7 posted:

Which Grixis commanders do you feel are immediately more impactful at a similar CMC?

Grixis options I personally would run before this nerd:

Kess
Obeka
Inalla
Jeleva
fuckin Nekusar
Sakashima/Vial Smasher
Malcolm/Vial Smasher
Tevesh Szat/Kraum
Armix/Kraum
Rograkh/Silas
Ghost of Ramirez DePietro/Vial Smasher

I think other partner pairs are better, even if I wouldn't personally run them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

Grixis options I personally would run before this nerd:

Kess
Obeka
Inalla
Jeleva
fuckin Nekusar
Sakashima/Vial Smasher
Malcolm/Vial Smasher
Tevesh Szat/Kraum
Armix/Kraum
Rograkh/Silas
Ghost of Ramirez DePietro/Vial Smasher

I think other partner pairs are better, even if I wouldn't personally run them.

Hell, I'd run Marchesa, Mairsil, and Sedris before this guy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Toshimo posted:

Hell, I'd run Marchesa, Mairsil, and Sedris before this guy.

You say that as if those guys don't rule :colbert:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Aranan posted:

Xander is just bad. Seven mana?? lol Maybe if you have infinite mana and a sacrifice outlet, but even then you're not winning the game. Grixis has so many better options. Just glancing at what's available, I was able to pick 12 options in this color identity that I'd say are better.

And that's the biggest point there, I'd say. Regardless of color, if you're dropping more than 6 mana on a spell, it should be drastically swinging the game in your favor.

I actually went to Scryfall to look at legendary creatures at 7+ mana to see who I'd say are better options, but... man, like 95% of these commanders suck for their cost. Most of the cool ones are ones that can cheat themselves in somehow (such as K'rrik) or are cards you'd not really want in the command zone as much as you'd want them as reanimation targets (Razaketh, for example). Or Koma. Koma's cool.

I guess my own personal standard for something that costs 7 mana would be something like Elesh Norn. She ETBs and suddenly everyone's dorks and small stax creatures are dead, and even your tiniest dudes become valid threats. She gives immediate, significant value that persists and doesn't require her to do much more than stick around. On top of that, she has some interesting (and rather devastating) combo synergies with Urborg/Kormus Bell and/or Living Plane.

Xander, on the other hand... yeah, he's a 6/6 whose attack trigger paints a huge target on him, but his ETB is not all that impressive and his death trigger is less and less threatening the more he dies because it's going to cost you more and more and more to make it happen unless you've got infinite mana or some infinite reanimation loop (in which there are better choices for both cases).

Framboise fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 1, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Xander is great for a really obnoxious clone/sacrifice/reanimate deck. Everyone will loving hate it. Run It that Betrays and Tergrid, reanimation spells, and various ways to cheat out your commander, things like altars both to eat your own stuff to get him out faster and then to sac him in response to exile spells.

Then just clone him repeatedly with things like sakashima and the blade to get more death triggers. You can profit further from sacrifices and cloning by using mayhem devil and havoc jester and Syr Konrad and Bloodchief Ascension.

It's a gimmick, but at least everyone will not want to play with you.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Really interesting write up on cEDH Marchesa 2022 tournament from the organizer

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1AwNjoY3o7NOCm6BGW9l_f0KHfB-1tYfKmdcqNP7JKl8/mobilebasic

Bits that stuck out to me are that he thinks Thoracle isn't a problem because it was only ~23% of all wins during the tournament, and that Krark takes way too long to resolve accurately, so any players had best think long and hard before bringing him to the next Marchesa event

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 1, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Krark being a tedious commander makes me sad because everything about that deck sounds like a blast.

...still gonna build it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat that dude is almost five grand in the hole for running a cEDH tournament, and it sounds like he’s gonna need another $10,000 after that to effectively run the big fall event everyone is looking forward to.

also

The TO posted:

Krark is a problem for tEDH. Of all the time extensions we gave out over the weekend, about 25% were deck-checks, 10% were miscellaneous judge calls, and 65% were Krark decks. The two most infamous judge calls this weekend both involved Krark. One was the ‘take 40 minutes to win the game in your upkeep after time is called in round’, and the ‘you’ve mixed up your Mind's Desire pile and your Jeska’s Will pile. Good luck’. There were only five Krark decks at Marchesa. 5% of the decks make up 65% of the time extensions. Yikes.

lmao

My spicy take on the 7 drop Grixis Demon is that I think the design idea is “a political tool, you got 7 mana and start asking your table who has the best offers, and the scrub offer gets their hand nuked” but in practice you’re going to either get bullied into oblivion before you can get off the ground or you basically take someone out of the game and make a 3 person game and you suddenly have the biggest threat (and just took someone out of the game)

Just encourages a mean play pattern

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
One guy in my playgroup has a Vial Smasher deck and he was thinking of adding Krark to it after it was released, so I was like hey, they both have partner, just put him in the command zone.

After a few months it had gone from being his favorite deck to his least favorite, because Krark was consistently such a pain in the rear end to manage, so he just took Krark out of the deck entirely and just made it into VS again and it was fine.

I feel like you almost need an app or something to effectively manage Krark, at which point you may as well just not use him

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
got my 98 mountain ashling deck perfectly.

https://twitter.com/edhrec/status/1509889916980764680

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chakan posted:

My friend shared this with our group and it's given literally every deck of theirs a 7

Derevi, Marisi, Ezuri, all top tier decks, still got 7s

That thing is not good, lol

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Johnny Truant posted:

My friend shared this with our group and it's given literally every deck of theirs a 7

Yeah but a Seven Point What?

It's pretty well known all decks in commander are 7s, they range from a 7.0 - a pile of cards worse than a precon, up to a 7.9, a cEDH deck.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

opps double posted somehow

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Check the date, mate

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah but a Seven Point What?

It's pretty well known all decks in commander are 7s, they range from a 7.0 - a pile of cards worse than a precon, up to a 7.9, a cEDH deck.

Technowolf posted:

Check the date, mate

Lol I didn't even think about the thread title or today's date when I posted earlier :doh:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Chakan posted:

This is incredible, well played EDHrec team.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL this reminded me of the sliver tech nerds itt

https://youtu.be/dGVI8mlHNNA

It’s quite the ear worm, but the excitement of sharing tech between your different bugs was perfectly captured

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 1, 2022

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
i have to constantly resist the urge to make a sliver deck because it's such a cool type.

anyways im looking for Otrimi deck suggestions.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How badly do you want your friends to hate you? You can make kind of annoying mutants or you can make absolutely brutal “remove target player from the game” on T3 mutants

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Thanks to mafioso Garfield, Doubling Season, Parallel Lives and Anointed Procession are all probably going to be like $75-$100 for a while

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Silhouette posted:

Thanks to mafioso Garfield, Doubling Season, Parallel Lives and Anointed Procession are all probably going to be like $75-$100 for a while

You think? I didn't get the idea that anybody was all that excited about him

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Heath posted:

You think? I didn't get the idea that anybody was all that excited about him

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh yeah I mean we’ve all been clamoring for a good Naya Tokens commander for a while.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Silhouette posted:

Well Parallel Lives was just announced for a reprint* so maybe not.

* As a judge promo

But yeah, Garfield is nothing to get excited for, but as a sign post of what the shard is all about it'll full speculative buying.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MaRo on why the WH40K set is just gonna be Commander precons and not an actual set.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lord of the Rings: created with the color pie in mind

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Tolkien was VERY ahead of his time.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Gandalf the Grey: White and Colorless cost

Gandalf the White: Red White

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

Gandalf the Grey: White and Colorless cost

Gandalf the White: Red White

Clearly Gandalf the Gray would be WB and Gandalf the White would be Mono-W

Maybe Gandalf the Gray would be an Artifact Creature instead?