Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kind of makes you wonder if anyone took advantage of there being a mind controlling entity on the ship to get away with some poo poo.

"Take that Jerry!" *SMACK*
"Uh, sorry sir, guess I got briefly mind controlled! :shrug:"
"....Carry on Ensign. :smugjones:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I watched The Most Toys last night after being reminded of it by this thread

It is, indeed, a top tier TNG episode.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I caught a bit of Power Play yesterday, and I have to wonder: after all of the life forms of various types inhabiting members of crews, why wouldn't this be something that was regularly checked when teams return to away missions? Seems like a massive oversight on the part of Starfleet. All of the events of Power Play could have been prevented had Crusher taken a few extra minutes to check O'Brien, Troi and Data's neural patterns or whatever for irregularities.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I caught a bit of Power Play yesterday, and I have to wonder: after all of the life forms of various types inhabiting members of crews, why wouldn't this be something that was regularly checked when teams return to away missions? Seems like a massive oversight on the part of Starfleet. All of the events of Power Play could have been prevented had Crusher taken a few extra minutes to check O'Brien, Troi and Data's neural patterns or whatever for irregularities.

Strikes me as the sort of thing they probably carefully considered during the series bible creation then episode writers hosed it full of holes

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Data: Geordi, I require your assistance calibrating my new glans.

Geordi: ...glands?

Data: No, sir.

I can’t believe you posted this absolute dreck.

Geordi doesn’t outrank Data.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh, Data doesn't call Geordi "sir" because of rank...

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Data kept the flagship of the Federation from being pirated after the crew got addicted to a freemium VR game, and yet Data didn’t use his super speed or strength to gently caress up the invading Ferengi when the captain got turned into a kid.

So I guess that evens out?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jeeves posted:

Data didn’t use his super speed or strength to gently caress

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lol canonically didn't Data get laid before anyone else on the crew

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Pretty sure Tasha got hers at the exact same time.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tighclops posted:

By definition, no.

I'm just saying he didn't break any bones, so insufficient use of super strength.

I think it's amazing that Jadzia and Quark had post coital broken bones in primetime. It's just so very adult compared to the rest of the series.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BonHair posted:

By definition, no.

I'm just saying he didn't break any bones, so insufficient use of super strength.

I think it's amazing that Jadzia and Quark had post coital broken bones in primetime. It's just so very adult compared to the rest of the series.

Once you go Trill, you know the thrill

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's a shame that Grilka didn't become a semi-regular like Garak.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think it would have been neat if TNG ended with it turning out that Data always had emotions, he just didn't know it.

Because he definitely had the rage a few times

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BonHair posted:

By definition, no.

DS9 really was the horniest Trek

Sash! posted:

I think it would have been neat if TNG ended with it turning out that Data always had emotions, he just didn't know it.

This is definitely how the character was written in Season 1/2 and he’s so much more fun to watch as a result. Season 3 onward Data is kind of a bore.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1496918075526025226?s=20&t=-tiV4lbuyAWZc-jnvjSkww

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Data definitely fucks

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Data is literally a programmed to order gently caress machine

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My favorite Data fact is that when he was created he ran around with no clothes on just hanging dong everywhere til they gave him a modesty program

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

My favorite Data fact is that when he was created he ran around with no clothes on just hanging dong everywhere til they gave him a modesty program

Lore meanwhile walked around buck rear end nude all the time because he felt like it and thought everyone should have the privilege of witnessing his magnificent robo cock.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Lore making slide whistle noises as the colonists try not to look

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Lore, twitching: whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Do you think Data can fire on command, as it were

Can he adjust his viscosity, composition, etc. to his partner's preference? Color?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Got to The Devil's Due which is a loving baller of a episode

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Do you think Data can fire on command, as it were

Can he adjust his viscosity, composition, etc. to his partner's preference? Color?

It can emit Feline Supplement #127

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I wish Ardra had come back once or twice more, she could've been TNG's Harry Mudd.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McSpanky posted:

I wish Ardra had come back once or twice more, she could've been TNG's Harry Mudd.

I thought Vash was TNG's Harry Mudd? :confused:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sash! posted:

In hindsight I really hated the concept of the emotion chip, it was a weird shortcut. Data so obviously has low-level emotions, he can be curious, concerned, embarrassed, and a whole bunch of other things.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

davidspackage posted:

In hindsight I really hated the concept of the emotion chip, it was a weird shortcut. Data so obviously has low-level emotions, he can be curious, concerned, embarrassed, and a whole bunch of other things.

Data having complex, subtle emotions without the broad basic ones is one of TNG's great little (unintentional?) ironies.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it's great, it's Trek as heck

Feels like something TOS would've done, and it's done with aplomb

davidspackage posted:

Absolutely - I was actually thinking exactly this when I was watching The Most Toys the other day. Spiner's performance is clearly supposed to relate the character's feelings. He may not be quick to anger, but you can't tell me he isn't low-level pissed after Donnie ices that lady

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
It was someone here who pointed out that Data clearly has emotions, they just aren't emotions as we understand them.

Alternatively, he is a kid trying to find out what his emotions mean.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

Absolutely - I was actually thinking exactly this when I was watching The Most Toys the other day. Spiner's performance is clearly supposed to relate the character's feelings. He may not be quick to anger, but you can't tell me he isn't low-level pissed after Donnie ices that lady

The Most Toys is one of my favorite example of Data having emotions - not just because he is driven to kill out of a sense of necessity - but because he lies to Riker about it. Always leaves me with a chill.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

davidspackage posted:

The Most Toys is one of my favorite example of Data having emotions - not just because he is driven to kill out of a sense of necessity - but because he lies to Riker about it. Always leaves me with a chill.

He didn't technically lie because all he said was "Something went wrong in the transport", which demonstrates something even deeper that Data knows how to bend the truth to use obfuscation. Its a lie still but its even a bit more complicated than that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Robots supposedly not having emotions is also such an old times scifi idea, plus obviously useful for storytelling and characterization, but come on, there's nothing magic about emotions, there's not even anything illogical about them, and if you're at the point of creating an artificial mind and body on Data's level you'd be able to sort of emotions, if they weren't already just an emergent property of how everything else is set up.

Raised By Wolves does better on that android front, they have emotional responses depending on reaction to stimuli combined with their internal priorities and programs, like a person. Threaten baby --> mama feel fear, anger -> defend child.

I suppose Zora in Disco is also pretty emotional. Theres gotta be a bajillion thinking computers by then, even in old-times androids and artificial life was on its way to being a pretty normie thing, plus you know, if you don't give the robo-life their due rights, they can always call mass effect collect. I wish when they did timejump they added some more or better future natives, not that they'd ever go into it, but could have a crewmember join up and literally nobody knows and it never comes up they're an android until they have their big moment of being injured to reveal not-blood, except it looks exactly like blood and organs the tech is so good you can't tell visually.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

McSpanky posted:

Data is literally a programmed to order gently caress machine

Dr Soong had his priorities straight and was lonely

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
When you sit down to write a sci-fi series like Star Trek, you have this great expanse of enormous questions you could tackle about life and humanity and morality. So naturally you want your second episode to answer the question "Can the robot gently caress?"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The hours of agonizing decisions that went into the penis design and development.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Dude wasn't called "Soften Dong" Soong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's no way Soong did not build Data without a huge dong