Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Bring back Dungeon Command, cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Bring back the Planescape TCG, and also bring back Planescape

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Are there 5e products that try to fix the whole system, in the same way that games like True Rose, Mutants & Masterminds, and Spycraft completely overhauled D20 to make it work for them? The only thing in this vein I'm aware of is 5AE Legacy.

Five Torches Deep is another. There’s also a very popular rewrite of 5e by a big homebrew person named Giffyglyph.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I cannot imagine what a modern designed-by-committee Planescape looks like.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fourth? Battlesystem, Chainmail (2001), D&D Miniatures, Dungeon Command. I’m probably forgetting one or two even (and I’m only including separate product lines, not D&D products that were miniatures war games like Greyhawk Wars), this is at least the fifth.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lumbermouth posted:

I cannot imagine what a modern designed-by-committee Planescape looks like.

The lady of pain now has gigantic tits.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Kurieg posted:

The lady of pain now has gigantic tits.

“Uhh people loved that vampire lady let’s make her really tall with big boots and steps on people who displease her.”

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

We gotta fit 6-8 encounters per adventuring day, discussions about the philosophical nature of elemental Good and Evil count as one encounter.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lady of Pain, now with stats.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
She has stats.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

An urban faction-based adventure from the minds that brought you Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

She has stats.

I love how Maze is the majority of the statblock just to sell the joke.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lumbermouth posted:

An urban faction-based adventure from the minds that brought you Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

Or this instead

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The most fun I ever had playing D&D as a war game was doing warbands with my high school friends in Battlesystem Skirmish, based on 2e.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Arivia posted:

Fourth? Battlesystem, Chainmail (2001), D&D Miniatures, Dungeon Command. I’m probably forgetting one or two even (and I’m only including separate product lines, not D&D products that were miniatures war games like Greyhawk Wars), this is at least the fifth.

The point is they're trying again. Very depressing to see kids going "Wow! This is new and different!" is this what being old feels like?

Not entirely sure how well it will do, since it's the Wizkids miniatures and not those new expensive off-the-sprue miniatures.

How much do you guys think "Wargamer" crowds interact with "RPG" crowds? For simplicity's sake let's keep it in Hasbro's wheelhouse.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 1, 2022

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The point is they're trying again. Very depressing to see kids going "Wow! This is new and different!" is this what being old feels like?

Not entirely sure how well it will do, since it's the Wizkids miniatures and not those new expensive off-the-sprue miniatures.

How much do you guys think "Wargamer" crowds interact with "RPG" crowds? For simplicity's sake let's keep it in Hasbro's wheelhouse.

I don't know about RPG crowds in general but at least locally there seems to be an increasing crossover between 5e crowds and wargaming crowds, mostly due to 5e's popularity getting new people into the FLGSs (where wargames tend to demand a lot of shelf space and are visually interesting) and in large part due to more Descent/Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven style games, which aren't really wargames per se but do seem to bridge the gap from roleplaying games to miniatures games in a way that makes the later less intimidating to get into for a lot of people.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So it's skirmish level? Basically trying to steal Frostgraves lunch money.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Deptfordx posted:

Pretty sure Frostgrave has done what it is going to do.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Deptfordx posted:

Probably to justify the new $50 monster box sets they’re putting out.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Lumbermouth posted:

Probably to justify the new $50 monster box sets they’re putting out.

thats the thing though, this is wizkids and the new DnD expenso sets are not wizkids

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So GW did a 2 minute massively expensive video that says The Squats are back. The community did not appreciate it.

WotC did a press release to say Spelljammer is coming back. The community did not appreciate it.

Warlord Games did a picture of their next release- a 1-1 scale M5 Stuart tank. The community did appreciate it and would certainly buy it.

Anyone else do crappy pranks at the expense of their fans?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Comstar posted:

So GW did a 2 minute massively expensive video that says The Squats are back. The community did not appreciate it.

WotC did a press release to say Spelljammer is coming back. The community did not appreciate it.

Warlord Games did a picture of their next release- a 1-1 scale M5 Stuart tank. The community did appreciate it and would certainly buy it.

DungeonFog doing a “we’re getting into NFTs” joke that was indistinguishable from a real NFT pitch.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Honestly "we're making this super cool product SYKE" is just the dumbest "prank", how do you even expect that to give good press

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Comstar posted:

I read this as "Spellfire is coming back," which is much funnier.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Comstar posted:

The best part about the GW video is that, according to some leaks that have accurately predicted basically everything to come out this and most of last year, it's not a prank.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The best part about the GW video is that, according to some leaks that have accurately predicted basically everything to come out this and most of last year, it's not a prank.

FFG announced the leaked Spider-Ham pack for their Marvel Champions game, and I'm wondering if we're going to see a pivot to using April 1 to announce real things that are funny/goofy/weird that people actually do want.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That was leaked months ago in their actual release list (they have a whole Spider-verse arc coming), so they're trying for the double fake.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

CitizenKeen posted:

FFG announced the leaked Spider-Ham pack for their Marvel Champions game, and I'm wondering if we're going to see a pivot to using April 1 to announce real things that are funny/goofy/weird that people actually do want.

It seems like a decent way to test the waters. Purportedly, the idea of Yakuza: Like a Dragon becoming a turn-based JRPG style of game came from an April Fools joke that got a really good response, so they decided to go for it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Piell posted:

Honestly "we're making this super cool product SYKE" is just the dumbest "prank", how do you even expect that to give good press

April Fools jokes are the worst. 90% unfunny or awful. 9% actively cruel or malicious, and 1% actually funny or clever.

And I'm probably being too generous on the latter %.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
April Fools has really been downplayed the last couple years it seems. Probably because reality keeps outdoing it.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Piell posted:

infinitely worse in the video game side

"We're making this super cool product video game that isnt literally just a rehash of far cry, assassins creed or batman arkham SYKE"

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

GetDunked posted:

Bring back the Planescape TCG

Do you mean Blood Wars? Because that was awful, why would you want that.

It didn't even function as a game without the fan hack.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bring back Dragon Strike, including the glorious VHS tape sample adventure/tutorial.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 2, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Comstar posted:

Games Workshop is insisting the Squats are real and legit now btw: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/02/what-april-fools-the-41st-millenniums-next-faction-is-real-heres-a-model-to-prove-it/

The Spelljammer "confirmation" is still probably not real... formally at least, though they have been playtesting alien races and confirmed they're bringing back 2 "classic" campaign settings. A revamped Spelljammer that can just push Starfinder out of whatever tiny niche it has once and for all seems like a possibility. This is seems like an interest test for that at least.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I would consider 5e if they bring back Spelljammer AND do it justice. Maybe.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The April Fool's Joke being "haha, you thought this was an April Fool's joke" is the funniest thing GW has ever done.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

PeterWeller posted:

The April Fool's Joke being "haha, you thought this was an April Fool's joke" is the funniest thing GW has ever done.

I mean, that was how WOTC announced Unglued 2: Unhinged back in the day. But then again, that was a comedy set and before the Disinformation Age.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

GetDunked posted:

Bring back the Planescape TCG, and also bring back Planescape

It looks like a fan project. Everything on this card is pre-existing assets, thrown together awkwardly. An artist with a budget wasn't involved. How could this have failed?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I still don't know all the details about the Blood War, but it sounds like the least interesting thing you could possibly do with Planescape. Ooh, a big war everywhere forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Halloween Jack posted:

I still don't know all the details about the Blood War, but it sounds like the least interesting thing you could possibly do with Planescape. Ooh, a big war everywhere forever.

Nerds zooming in and focusing on the least interesting part of the backstop, why am I not surprised.