Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

sporklift posted:

gently caress.

https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/third-man-records-announces-vault-package-52-sleep-dopesmoker

And by gently caress I mean I absolutely don't need this but I totally want it.

and i'm only the most fleeting appreciator of sleep but gently caress if that isn't a dope (ahhh) rear end box set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

At least I have 30 days to decide whether or not I'm going to buy Dopesmoker for a third time. :unsmigghh:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just went to a garage sale, picked out three records (Switched on Bach, Nancy Sinatra's Boots, and Sugar). Then I waited five minutes while the guy looked each of them up on eBay and told me it was $35 for the three...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

wa27 posted:

I just went to a garage sale, picked out three records (Switched on Bach, Nancy Sinatra's Boots, and Sugar). Then I waited five minutes while the guy looked each of them up on eBay and told me it was $35 for the three...

:suicide:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

wa27 posted:

Lmao

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

wa27 posted:

…and your reply?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Pretzellogic posted:

…and your reply?

Just said no thanks and left. Some other guy grabbed a stack of five and offered him $10 and the seller laughed at him. What's funny is they said "we'll do half off the online prices, so $35"... so I don't know wtf they were looking at. eBay unsold listings I guess. I'm pretty sure the median values for those three on discogs is like $25.

I did find this for $2 at another sale, so I was happy. Garage sale season has started!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like second-hand sellers in general have forgotten that people buy second-hand to get a bargain. If I'm going to pay eBay prices anyway I'll just go to eBay.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like second-hand sellers in general have forgotten that people buy second-hand to get a bargain. If I'm going to pay eBay prices anyway I'll just go to eBay.

Over the last decade yard sales, thrift stores, etc have all become near pointless. They've turned from a place of "I really need to get rid of some of this poo poo" into "people are willing to buy my treasure!" - I've given up. Some hobbies like knitting, crafts, etc you'll find someone offloading poo poo, but *COLLECTIBLES* , which is a broader term now then ever, you can mostly forget it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My semi-related problem is I keep wanting to look up stuff on records in shops (is it the original release, how was this album received, stuff like that) but I'm afraid if the owner catches me with my phone out they'll think I'm price matching them on discogs.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

wa27 posted:

:cawg:

Reminds me of a thrift store a few years back that sold all records for 25 cents each. Then one day they started pricing records individually based I guess on median discogs pricing, condition be damned. So some water-damaged Rolling Stones record was priced $10. I brought it up to the counter thinking the price tag was from previous seller 20 years ago but nope!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Everybody wants to be a record dealer without actually knowing anything about records.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I always considered myself pretty lucky to have the place I usually go to. They’re not the cheapest but “expensive” is usually like $15-20 unless it’s something pretty rare and/or signed. Plus most of what they have is in good condition. They still have the usual $1 bins and some $3-5 sections that have the rare good find.

Speaking of, went today and spent a bit more than I normally would but had some fun finds.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

My Lovely Horse posted:

My semi-related problem is I keep wanting to look up stuff on records in shops (is it the original release, how was this album received, stuff like that) but I'm afraid if the owner catches me with my phone out they'll think I'm price matching them on discogs.

poo poo. I am always checking discogs on my phone. Main reason is to check my want list because every time I walk in a record store my mind blanks on stuff I'm looking for. Two, I want to make sure I'm not getting a dupe, and three I want to make sure the store isn't totally outta wack with market prices. I usually chat it up with the person there and go through my want list. Not really a big deal imo. I also ask why something is way more expensive than online and its usually because of the pressing or its a consignment that the shop doesn't control the price on. I walked into Little Axe here in Portland
and the guy was playing a Moondog record that I had been wanting so I asked to buy it and it was $100. Which made me wince. He just laughed and said it was a first pressing and I could get the reissue at Mississippi Records for $15.

Ballz posted:

:cawg:

Reminds me of a thrift store a few years back that sold all records for 25 cents each. Then one day they started pricing records individually based I guess on median discogs pricing, condition be damned. So some water-damaged Rolling Stones record was priced $10. I brought it up to the counter thinking the price tag was from previous seller 20 years ago but nope!

I remember seeing a Beatles album (not even a good one just one of the old compilations of their early hits) and the "vintage shop" wanted something like $50 for it. The record looked like it had been sandblasted.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

I remember seeing a Beatles album (not even a good one just one of the old compilations of their early hits) and the "vintage shop" wanted something like $50 for it. The record looked like it had been sandblasted.

This can work to your benefit though because the people who slap those prices on anything classic rock will completely fail to recognize poo poo that's actually rare and valuable. I've mentioned this a bunch but several years back I was in Savers and got A first pressing of Zen Arcade, a UK first pressing of Sandinista, and a bunch other things for like six bucks altogether. Meanwhile they had a stack of Toto records in the glass case for ten bucks a pop. This is what I mean about how everyone wants to be a record dealer without knowing anything about records. I also remember someone here mentioning they were at a record fair and some guy had Lynyrd Skynyrd album for fifty bucks and an early Bruce Haack for five in the junk bin.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

midge posted:

Over the last decade yard sales, thrift stores, etc have all become near pointless. They've turned from a place of "I really need to get rid of some of this poo poo" into "people are willing to buy my treasure!" - I've given up. Some hobbies like knitting, crafts, etc you'll find someone offloading poo poo, but *COLLECTIBLES* , which is a broader term now then ever, you can mostly forget it.
As long as there's been yard/garage sales, there have been those that don't understand that the transaction is supposed to be a "here, you take this away" situation. As a seller, you're supposed to get rid of your crap; any money made is a nice bonus. I still look, and you can still find cool stuff (just got a working 8mm projector for ten bucks this weekend), but there are always those akin to that old woman at the garage sales on Evergreen Terrace: "NINETY DOLLARS!"

I once had someone tell me that the high sale price of an item was due to its "sentimental value." THEN WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU SELLING IT?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've never known them to care. Also, so what if you are? If you were to then start waving your phone around and trying to haggle with them, they might begin to care, but a quick price check to see if it's worth purchasing isn't a big deal.

If I'm in a shop and on discogs, it's usually so I can check before I purchase something that I don't already own it. Middle-aged decrepitude continues to turn parts of my brain to tapioca, and a quick "wait a minute" check has kept me from double-dipping no less than three times in the past year.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Usually if I have my phone out in a shop it's because I'm looking up an artist or album, I have bought too many disappointments in the past. Of course this falls down when I can't decide about an album. To that end is anyone else here preordering the Doshin the Giant OST? I've been listening to it on youtube for the past two days and I still don't know if I want to pay 45 plus shipping for it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

Heck with that.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Yeah I'm usually sampling stuff on spotify to see if I want to buy it, or making sure I'm not buying something I already have.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

TBF, a classic Nancy Sinatra album like that is worth that much if it's like NM. But I guess I don't often pay what a lot of these things are worth.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 3, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Turbinosamente posted:

Usually if I have my phone out in a shop it's because I'm looking up an artist or album, I have bought too many disappointments in the past. Of course this falls down when I can't decide about an album. To that end is anyone else here preordering the Doshin the Giant OST? I've been listening to it on youtube for the past two days and I still don't know if I want to pay 45 plus shipping for it.

when in doubt, leave it out.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

TBF, a classic Nancy Sinatra album like that is worth that much if it's like NM. But I guess I don't often pay what a lot of these things are worth.

Really? I know its not dollar bin fodder anymore but pretty sure you can snag one for under $20. I wouldn't pay more than maybe $8-$10.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

dorium posted:

when in doubt, leave it out.

Welp, hosed that up. But in my extremely weaksauce totally not justifying it defense, I listened to a slew of other albums in the collection, three of which were also ambient/experimental and they are now on the out stack. Doesn't make up for it cost wise, but at least I'm obeying the one in one out rule to a degree.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Really? I know its not dollar bin fodder anymore but pretty sure you can snag one for under $20. I wouldn't pay more than maybe $8-$10.

It probably depends on whether or not the album contains one of her best known songs.

That said, if someone asks for more than five bucks for Switched on Bach laughing in their face is appropriate.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 4, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

It probably depends on whether or not the album contains one of her best known songs.

Boots definitely contains her best known song.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

Well sorry, letting my personal biases show I guess. Looking at the playlist and may be not really so much as one or two of the others, I don't know. My introduction to Nancy and Lee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2PbG6KQKsE

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This is a perfect time to post the Crispin Glover version of These Boots Are Made for Walking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Xl--9sfTw

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

This is a perfect time to post the Crispin Glover version of These Boots Are Made for Walking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Xl--9sfTw

Reminds me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK1YOz7apOs

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

This is the best Barnes and Barnes album.

I've been kicking myself for drat near a decade for not buying it for $35 'cause the corner was cut. Haven't seen one out in the wild since then.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

my folks are cleaning up their hoarder home and my dad came across several milk crates full of records he'd forgotten he even had. lot of them are in rough condition, but it was a veritable treasure trove. found a lot of Dylan, Floyd, and Rolling Stones in there amongst i tonne of stuff I've never heard of. spent a good chunk of the weekend just sifting through them

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
"Did you spend money on someone named Bob burnham and something called thweeknd?"

"Yes..."

"I'm getting alerts from the bank, what are they"

"Just records...."

*grumpy sounds*

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Picked up some stuff from the local record show yesterday. I got some of it for pretty cheap because the cover isn't in the best shape, though the vinyl is fine. The Kansas was free - the merchant had my daughter pick something out as long as she didn't know what it was. In a cheap bin full of mostly garbage she picked the best one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Picked up some stuff from the local record show yesterday. I got some of it for pretty cheap because the cover isn't in the best shape, though the vinyl is fine. The Kansas was free - the merchant had my daughter pick something out as long as she didn't know what it was. In a cheap bin full of mostly garbage she picked the best one.

On your feet or on your knees has a good cover

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

On your feet or on your knees has a good cover

Meddle in particular was in pretty rough shape, which is fine because honestly it's not a very good album cover period. And the vinyl was a bit dirty. I got it sounding better (not great, still a lot of crackling) but Echoes sounds absolutely sublime.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

This is the best Barnes and Barnes album.

I've been kicking myself for drat near a decade for not buying it for $35 'cause the corner was cut. Haven't seen one out in the wild since then.

I'd be delighted to even see that in a store. You hosed up.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Latest acquisition:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Oh drat I loved that Gravity X record. I should really pick that up.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://twitter.com/nee_massey/status/1511616855441653760?s=21

Bit of curbside crate digging with Stu

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Woke up, confirmed I got paid and then finally dropped the cash on importing Cardiacs’ Sing to God. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the biden admin is killing me. do i gotta save for these stupid student loan repayments or can i keep buying used records already?