Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

quantumwell posted:

Man, there sure is a lot of creepy unhinged behavior posted about kids born and still in the womb, What is it about babies that make
people insane?

I mean it's probably a combo of our society consistently telling women their worth is only based around childbirth and our mental health system being god awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

teen witch posted:

I learned Swedish at 25-26, though immersion and free classes helped immensely. Might start Finnish with my partner soon

My understanding is that it’s generally not possible to have a perfect accent unless you learn a language very young or spend an incredible portion of your life totally immersed though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

My understanding is that it’s generally not possible to have a perfect accent unless you learn a language very young or spend an incredible portion of your life totally immersed though.

Yeah, but who really cares if someone else has a perfect accent outside of chuddy Americans and the French?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

teen witch posted:

I learned Swedish at 25-26, though immersion and free classes helped immensely. Might start Finnish with my partner soon

Älä vaa. Me postataa päin persettä jok'ikine, ja sulla ny ei oo hyvät lähtökohdat muutekaa. Naurat kohta niin huonoille vitseille että minkään keskustelun tasottamine tulee mahrottomaks.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Fargle posted:

Not these days.

Now it's almost certainly about either Tony Stark or the completely interchangeable twinks from BTS.

nice racism

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

endlessmonotony posted:

Älä vaa. Me postataa päin persettä jok'ikine, ja sulla ny ei oo hyvät lähtökohdat muutekaa. Naurat kohta niin huonoille vitseille että minkään keskustelun tasottamine tulee mahrottomaks.

Ite postaan vakaumuksellisesti vain ja ainoastaan ulospäin perseestä, suosittelen lämpimästi harkitsemaan samaa :smug:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Around 80% of Finns can't get the accent working perfectly, the rules are incredibly complicated and arcane.

The people who can (hi!) meanwhile tend to just shitpost about it being completely loving meaningless unless you want to be a snob, and concentrate on getting the rules wrong in sbuttle ways.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
[url=https://www.uexpress.com/life/miss-manners/2022/04/02]

quote:

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I was at my daughter's house. While she and my son-in-law were working in their bathroom, my two grandsons and I were in the den. The boys were on their tablets and I was watching an episode of a reality show, which was almost over. Mind you, I had never seen this show before and I was very much into it.

My daughter and son-in-law come into the den and sit down.

My daughter says to me, "Mom, Buck wants to watch the news!"

I'm like, "What? I am watching this show!"

She says, "Well, Buck wants to watch the news!"

My grandson then says, "We always watch the news."

I'm like, "But this show is almost over!"

They go scurrying about, my daughter into the kitchen, my son-in-law and grandsons walking past me to go outside. My son-in-law says, "You can watch the TV."

I was like, "Oh hell no, not now!" I went into the kitchen, flabbergasted!

My daughter then says to me, "Maybe you should just leave."

Flabbergasted again, I said, "Yeah, I guess I should."

Yesterday was over a year since that happened. I have gone over at Christmas time and put their presents on the stoop. I have sent birthday cards with "I love you" notes. I sent birthday presents. Nothing from them.

I texted her and said I wanted to put an end to the silence. I have gotten angry with them in the past for disrespecting me, as well, and I brought it up in my text. She stated that they just don't want to be around me because they don't know when I'm going to drop a ball. I told her I will drop a ball when I am disrespected.

Should I not demand respect from my children? Should I have gotten upset over the TV? I'm over it!

Miss Manners does not take kindly to this bullshit.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m just saying it sucks that adults actively prevent their kids from learning languages during the best time to learn them like the mom who think her kid will be too Mexican or whatever if he learns it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah, but who really cares if someone else has a perfect accent outside of chuddy Americans and the French?

The whole "thing" about being expected to speak French with a perfect accent was always so weird to me. French people nearly always speak English with a French accent and no-one gives a gently caress. Why do the French get a free pass to be so catty about foreigners speaking French?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I thought Spanish people were white.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Waci posted:

Ite postaan vakaumuksellisesti vain ja ainoastaan ulospäin perseestä, suosittelen lämpimästi harkitsemaan samaa :smug:

Boring-rear end prude, you.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

endlessmonotony posted:

Boring-rear end prude, you.

That's what my wife calls me too :(

One day I will learn how to post rear end to rear end

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Waci posted:

Yeah well Vi sitter här i Venten och spelar lite Dota

E:

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've mentioned it before, but I've had white Americans tell me that Spanish people are a "lower tier" of white.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pookah posted:

The whole "thing" about being expected to speak French with a perfect accent was always so weird to me. French people nearly always speak English with a French accent and no-one gives a gently caress. Why do the French get a free pass to be so catty about foreigners speaking French?

Maybe some unconscious relic from the aggressive standardisations of the 19th century that saw things like Breton and Occitan almost wiped out? I dunno but my Quebecois friends have told me about French tourists in Montreal trying to own them for speaking french wrong and it's hilarious

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pookah posted:

:ssh: it's because the French are actually quite racist.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

i count as white until a certain class of racist realizes im Hispanic

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

Maybe some unconscious relic from the aggressive standardisations of the 19th century that saw things like Breton and Occitan almost wiped out? I dunno but my Quebecois friends have told me about French tourists in Montreal trying to own them for speaking french wrong and it's hilarious

The langfocus channel has a neat video about the differences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9rh3lqdtT0&t=577s

Also the differences between Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXitW0IDAjQ&t=825s

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The point of racism is to create arbitrary classes of people to play off each other not to make a logically coherent system

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

keep punching joe posted:

:ssh: it's because the French are actually quite racist.

I know
It's quite funny, frenchness was seen as cool and counter-cultural back in the goddamn '60s and France has been clinging to that status ever since

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Pfft Americans and their petty concerns over who counts as being white. While in sophisticated Europe we have a form of racism much more baroque and esoteric based around centuries old grudges, religious sectarianism, and how much garlic other people consume as part of their diets.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Pfft Americans and their petty concerns over who counts as being white. While in sophisticated Europe we have a form of racism much more baroque and esoteric based around centuries old grudges, religious sectarianism, and how much garlic other people consume as part of their diets.

I hear the English hate the Polish. Is it because they're the wrong type of white?

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

You can acclimate to being just fine in extreme heat that would literally kill most people but it takes weeks or months of exposure and doing intense conditioning and cardio in the heat without getting a heat injury. There’s not really a good reason to do it unless you’re training to be a professional athlete or whatever your countries favorite death squad is called.

Also summer farm work. Best way to avoid heatstroke is to work yourself up to it through the spring, along with taking all the usual precautions when you start working during the genuinely dangerous times.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’ve never had a French person comment on my atrocious accent. They just appreciate that I’m trying.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I hear the English hate the Polish. Is it because they're the wrong type of white?

It’s because they put English builders and tradespeople to shame.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Batterypowered7 posted:

It's because the English are pricks who just hate everyone (even the English).

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

It's similar to the "they're taking our jobs" racism Central Americans experience in the US.

A lot of people are racist about accents all around the world.

https://press.babbel.com/en_gb/rele...lar-abroad.html

quote:

Poles are most likely to feel that they hold back from speaking due to perceived negativity connected to their accent (73% of Polish people state that their accent holds them back from speaking). This is compared with 69% of people globally.
and unsurprisingly,

quote:

Female respondents (42%) and younger respondents (47%) are more likely to have experienced accent anxiety than the global average (38%). Men (34%) and older people (31%) still feel anxious, but to a lesser extent.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

trickybiscuits posted:

I'm not boomerbrained enough to even understand what OP is complaining about.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Batterypowered7 posted:

Everybody who isn't English English is the wrong type of white. Eg Scots, Welsh, Irish...

therattle posted:

I’ve never had a French person comment on my atrocious accent. They just appreciate that I’m trying.

In my experience it's Parisians who get snotty, all other French people are nice about my lovely accent and heavy use of English loanwords (and happy to bitch about how awful Parisians are).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Runcible Cat posted:

In my experience it's Parisians who get snotty, all other French people are nice about my lovely accent and heavy use of English loanwords (and happy to bitch about how awful Parisians are).

That's what I was gonna say, based on my admittedly limited experience over there. Folks in other towns were always friendly and happy to work with me and my poor language skills, Parisians not so much.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

trickybiscuits posted:

What in the world is even going on here?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

trickybiscuits posted:

Was this written by an AI or something? Nothing about this makes sense. Is "Drop a ball" a thing people say in this context? Urban Dictionary just has has the "make a mistake" definition.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for cancelling someone else's all inclusive hotel reservation?

quote:

Background: I do historical re-enactments and, as part of that, I have an alias that is pretty much for historical societies and used as a "pen name". The alias is my great grandmother's grandmother's surname with the "Italian" first name my parents teasingly called me when we visited Italy when I was 2 years old. Together, it's a very common name. I use the name as my username on a number of websites and have an email set up for my historical society in that name. (Basically, also use it for a number of other things but mostly for historical hobby related emails)

A few years ago, I started to receive emails that clearly were not intended for me - such as telling me I signed up for a service when I knew I hadn't. At first, I thought it was just phishing emails until I noticed that I was getting updates to various social media "posts" I hadn't participated in. (ie, Instagram sign ups followed by "So and So is following you!" emails). I would go in, change the password to the sites, and delete the account in order to stop getting the emails. However, at least two ladies who had the same name as my re-enactment name - one in Brazil and one in Italy- still keep using my email as a place to send important documents to. For instance, college acceptance and interviews, mortgage papers, actual airplane tickets, ect. Sometimes I ignore it, other times I try to do something about it.

The Latest incident: Recently, I received an email from an all inclusive resort in Italy about my "upcoming reservation" from 22 Apr to 25 Apr, all paid for to the tune of €485 per a person. The email was in Italian so this was the Italian lady. Here's the thing - I know some Italian because I lived in Italy myself for three years. I'm barely able to string a sentence together but I can read Italian pretty decently.

So, reading the email, I decided I had had enough of getting "important documents" not intended for me. I wrote back to the hotel the following:

Saluti, mi dispiace. Ho bisogno di annullare. Cordiali saluti, SameNameNotEmail

Translation: Greetings! I'm sorry. I need to cancel. Sincerely, Me

Well, it worked! The hotel wrote me right back and said Not a problem, thanks for alerting us.

I admit, I feel a bit guilty as this other individual who has the same name as the one I choose for my historical hobbies is probably looking forward to her vacation but this has literally gone on for years. I started getting such emails from other people back in 2015! I get a one off (maybe a character is off or something similar) email but not at least 1 a month over the past few years. I'm just tired of it and have had enough so....am I the rear end in a top hat?

This one's just relatable for me. Way back when Yahoo opened a bunch of inactive email addresses for folks to sign up for, I grabbed a simple version of my initial and last name. It's just been unbelievable how many people with similar names are unaware enough to sign up for all sorts of sensitive stuff with that address, I've been getting any number of bank and credit card notifications/medical statements/PTA emails/online order confirmations/etc nearly weekly over almost a decade, it's just stupid. I wouldn't gently caress someone over like this, but I completely understand getting sick of other people's profound ineptitude.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm not boomerbrained enough to even understand what OP is complaining about.

They did not immediately defer to him as lord of their house. And, then, they gave him permission to watch TV as though he was not the one in charge.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
This is why using real names on the Internet is a mistake. Online identities should always be bespoke and better yet trademarked. Professional email addresses should be like weedstanker@jobname.com.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Captain Hygiene posted:

This one's just relatable for me. Way back when Yahoo opened a bunch of inactive email addresses for folks to sign up for, I grabbed a simple version of my initial and last name. It's just been unbelievable how many people with similar names are unaware enough to sign up for all sorts of sensitive stuff with that address, I've been getting any number of bank and credit card notifications/medical statements/PTA emails/online order confirmations/etc nearly weekly over almost a decade, it's just stupid. I wouldn't gently caress someone over like this, but I completely understand getting sick of other people's profound ineptitude.

There's a dirtbag in Florida with my very uncommon name who started sending his spam to firstname.lastname@google.com, which is mine. So I did the mature, responsible thing, and would call in changes to his pizza orders and such. Just madman poo poo like "I want all the cheese, but only on half." It took like a week for him to gently caress off but he hasn't been back.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

My gmail is my firstname.lastname@gmail.com (I signed up the moment I heard google was going to do email) and I have discovered a fair few firstname lastnames in the world that way.

Yes, I get a surprising amount of sensitive stuff sent my way which I delete or if I don't think I am ever going to use that particular bank, block.

Separate topic, I am learning French and it is just so hard the pronunciation, just so frustratingly difficult. I could speak basic Egyptian informal Arabic in a year but the best part of a decade trying to learn French and it is still so depressingly limited.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Dr. Stab posted:

They did not immediately defer to him as lord of their house. And, then, they gave him permission to watch TV as though he was not the one in charge.

It's a lady, and she's one estranged pos

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I grew up taking French classes (until Grade 8 anyway) and surrounded by French and I can't manage to learn much more than 'sorry, I can't speak French, do you speak English?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

teen witch posted:

But if you start, when do you Finnish?