Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

There's no way Ukraine has enough crews.

I bet a highly realistic tank simulation Arcade could be a successful venture in Poland.

Like an Ender's Game situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Operating tanks isn't that complicated, as far as the crews are concerned. I'd imagine keeping them maintained is the more difficult part.

More important is a commander that is able to competently employ them. It's amazing how many examples there are of Russian tanks roaming about exposed and unsupported.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Mustang posted:

Operating tanks isn't that complicated, as far as the crews are concerned. I'd imagine keeping them maintained is the more difficult part.

You'd be right: https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1510341553520361472

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Where has there been footage of a javelin kill? I haven’t seen one and I heard it’s been held back to avoid providing Russia with intelligence, due to the units operating them. I have seen an NLAW one though.

Bit of an old post to reply to, but there's now actual combat footage of a Javelin versus a Russian tank.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1510015312648888325

It's a one-for-one with the test footage from more than a decade ago. A Javelin means A Bad Day for an unsupported tanks.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bored As gently caress posted:

I want the the Russians to loving bleed dry.

After reading a kids diary of being trapped and watching their mom, dad, and uncle die with their younger sibling, and the rape reports from Mariupol where the oldest victim was ten and all had (spoilered because it’s horrible) rectal/vaginal tearing I want the modern Russian state dismantled/demilitarized (but with nukes that’s not happing), but I’ll settle for lots more Russians getting merked and the total humiliation of Russia continues.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 3, 2022

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Bit of an old post to reply to, but there's now actual combat footage of a Javelin versus a Russian tank.

It's a one-for-one with the test footage from more than a decade ago. A Javelin means A Bad Day for an unsupported tanks.

It seems like Javelin is a bad day for even supported tanks. Good luck picking out the shooter from a mile and a half away.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kill me now posted:

It seems like Javelin is a bad day for even supported tanks. Good luck picking out the shooter from a mile and a half away.

Yeah, when that thing arcs, that vehicle “is already dead.”

So in short, the javelin is basically Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Someone tut tutted at me a while back for posting a joke about Russian death charges against fixed German positions.

Well, apparently they're doing it for real this time around. Russia launched a full-frontal assault against the line of contact, which is the fortified front in the Donbass, and which has Ukraine's best regular forces.

The results were about as you'd expect.

e: If the numbers below are accurate, that's almost an entire BTG worth of tanks, APCs, and artillery. Each BTG has 600-800 troops.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-2

quote:

Subordinate main effort – Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts (Russian objective: Capture the entirety of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts, the claimed territory of Russia’s proxies in Donbas)

Ukrainian forces continued to repel Russian assaults in Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts on April 2. The Ukrainian General Staff reported at 6:00 am local time on April 2 that Ukrainian forces repelled nine enemy attacks in the past 24 hours, destroying eight tanks, 44 armored vehicles, 16 unarmored vehicles, and 10 artillery systems.[6] These numbers are far higher than the daily totals of destroyed Russian vehicles claimed by Ukrainian forces, which are typically less than ten per day. Ukrainian forces may have repelled significant Russian assaults in the last 24 hours and inflicted heavy casualties, but ISW cannot independently confirm these claims. Russian offensive operations in Luhansk Oblast are centered on Popasna and Rubizhne, and operations in Donetsk Oblast are concentrated on Marinka, though Russian forces reportedly launched unsuccessful attacks all along the line of contact in the past 24 hours.[7]

Ukrainian forces continue to successfully repel Russian assaults in Donbas. Russian forces will likely require an operational pause to reconstitute their existing forces in the region and integrate reinforcements currently redeploying from northern Ukraine to mount an effective offensive. However, we have seen no indication of a Russian operational pause on the Donbas axis, and they appear likely to further bleed their forces with ineffective daily attacks.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 3, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

kill me now posted:

It's not just about picking out where it's being fired from, it's also not letting them get close to enough to use a javelin and using the terrain to your advantage. A tank isn't that easy to see through thermal optics when its in defilade with only it's optics visible.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mustang posted:

It's not just about picking out where it's being fired from, it's also not letting them get close to enough to use a javelin and using the terrain to your advantage. A tank isn't that easy to see through thermal optics when its in defilade with only it's optics visible.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
While Russian security has been pretty poo poo, any US service member who’s thinking “I would’ve simply found all the javelin shooters first and killed them” is full of poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Saint Javelin protects.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

While Russian security has been pretty poo poo, any US service member who’s thinking “I would’ve simply found all the javelin shooters first and killed them” is full of poo poo.

Who made that claim?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

My Hanzo Steel shall ensure that no Javelin reaches my tank.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Who made that claim?

It’s just been the general tone online often. “Ah, I’d simply clear out all the enemy infantry with my infantry while tanks are out of ATGM range.”

Ok, cool, so your infantry are out 2-5 km from every tank now… so what do the tanks even do in that case? Do donuts? Twitter warriors seem convinced that because their unit didn’t get blown apart (when facing RPG-7s in relatively open desert highways) that they’d bing bong so simple solve the ATGM threat of 2022 woodline and urban combat.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

psydude posted:

Someone tut tutted at me a while back for posting a joke about Russian death charges against fixed German positions.

Well, apparently they're doing it for real this time around. Russia launched a full-frontal assault against the line of contact, which is the fortified front in the Donbass, and which has Ukraine's best regular forces.

The results were about as you'd expect.

e: If the numbers below are accurate, that's almost an entire BTG worth of tanks, APCs, and artillery. Each BTG has 600-800 troops.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-2

I don't know if it'd be worth it, and I suspect the reasoning is probably a lot stupider, but could these attacks be intended to simply fix the Ukrainians in place and keep them from moving or acting to head off a possible encirclement in the east?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mlmp08 posted:

It’s just been the general tone online often. “Ah, I’d simply clear out all the enemy infantry with my infantry while tanks are out of ATGM range.”

That might (certainly) be other forums, but I haven't seen that variety of dumb take here. This is the only Ukraine thread I read, only twitter I see is here, no social media, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing it in volume.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Ok, cool, so your infantry are out 2-5 km from every tank now… so what do the tanks even do in that case? Do donuts? Twitter warriors seem convinced that because their unit didn’t get blown apart (when facing RPG-7s in relatively open desert highways) that they’d bing bong so simple solve the ATGM threat of 2022 woodline and urban combat.

The Russians don't seem to be putting any effort into concealing their vehicles as there's plenty of videos of them driving down city streets and hanging out in wide open fields. They appear to be doing everything possible to make themselves sitting ducks to an army equipped with AT weapons like Javelins.

I was an armor officer in a cavalry squadron, so I'm looking at this from a reconnaissance perspective that heavily favors using fancy optics to look at stuff. I'm also familiar with using the CLU/Javelin. Tanks and reconnaissance vehicles have fancy optics that can see much further than their weapons can reach and their speed lets them quickly move up or displace when the opportunity presents itself. It's certainly not American doctrine to have tanks as the most forward element in a brigade.

Never said it was easy to avoid AT weapons but there are absolutely things they could be doing to mitigate that risk and have a less mangled vehicle fleet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mustang posted:

The Russians don't seem to be putting any effort into concealing their vehicles as there's plenty of videos of them driving down city streets and hanging out in wide open fields. They appear to be doing everything possible to make themselves sitting ducks to an army equipped with AT weapons like Javelins.

I was an armor officer in a cavalry squadron, so I'm looking at this from a reconnaissance perspective that heavily favors using fancy optics to look at stuff. I'm also familiar with using the CLU/Javelin. Tanks and reconnaissance vehicles have fancy optics that can see much further than their weapons can reach and their speed lets them quickly move up or displace when the opportunity presents itself. It's certainly not American doctrine to have tanks as the most forward element in a brigade.

Never said it was easy to avoid AT weapons but there are absolutely things they could be doing to mitigate that risk and have a less mangled vehicle fleet.

how likely were those "captured" javs actually functioning units? Can they figure out how to use them easy? Could even a spent one still be useful for the optics or do the bats run out

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A CLU is easy to use, it's also a good passive optic without the Javelin. I doubt they would get much use out of it unless they were able to capture a bunch of missiles and the correct type of batteries as well.

Kind of makes me wonder how capable other militaries are at maintaining sophisticated military hardware without the US's help.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

how likely were those "captured" javs actually functioning units? Can they figure out how to use them easy? Could even a spent one still be useful for the optics or do the bats run out

I don’t doubt they got their dirty little mittens on a handful, but I’m guessing they found expended launch tubes here and there that they’re calling “captured”. These are utterly useless.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mustang posted:

A CLU is easy to use, it's also a good passive optic without the Javelin. I doubt they would get much use out of it unless they were able to capture a bunch of missiles and the correct type of batteries as well.

Kind of makes me wonder how capable other militaries are at maintaining sophisticated military hardware without the US's help.

how long do the batts last? Can you charge them like any other kind? I'm really curious because I've never used one obv

i want a javelin

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Bet you $5 someone's figured out how to solder wires into a CLUs battery port in such a way to run it off of car batteries or something. Needing it functional tops needing it to be correct and efficient.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ArmyGroup303 posted:

That is one very startled chicken.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm waiting for Javelin trick shots like Modern Warfare 2. Dudes firing them up through elevator shafts and poo poo.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
If its just a simple 24v DC circuit or something it wouldn't require a lot of thought to do. Odds are its a common control voltage and it should take <5 min to look up a video and do if you have a power source, some strippers and wire.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
We used CLUs as makeshift thermals on OPs in Iraq. No tube just the CLU. They are rechargeable.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

McNally posted:

I don't get it, didn't Russia give Ukraine enough tanks?

Many of the farmers haven't handed them over. When the rasputitsa passes in a few weeks, they intend to really take the fight to the groundhog menace.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Fearless posted:

Many of the farmers haven't handed them over. When the rasputitsa passes in a few weeks, they intend to really take the fight to the groundhog menace.

a time loop movie but the russians keep getting slammed by munitions over and over and dont learn anything

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Alan Smithee posted:

a time loop movie but the russians keep getting slammed by munitions over and over and dont learn anything

Isn't that already the case?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

They're learning plenty.

Washing machines are a two-man-carry and don't drink the groundwater in the exclusion zone.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pine Cone Jones posted:

More pictures from bucha, NMS

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1510374639566000128

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1510355711418679297

Armor transfers to Ukraine

Those aren't tanks slated to be transferred, those are all the tanks in those countries. Yes, only Poland has any tanks to speak of, and yes Poland is the only one whose tanks probably work.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

IPCRESS posted:

They're learning plenty.

Washing machines are a two-man-carry and don't drink the groundwater in the exclusion zone.

*Sonny & Cher's "I Got You Babe" plays on the alarm clock*

conscript: "time to drink the groundwater again!"

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Mustang posted:

As someone who went from 11b to 19k after my ankle went to poo poo M1A1's were laughably easy to learn. I think we actually worked 3 maybe 4 days out of the weeks of transitioning at Ft. Knox.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The WSJ's reporting on the war has been pretty good. They've got a report up right now on the war crimes in Bucha:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukrainians-count-dead-dig-mass-graves-clear-land-mines-after-russian-pullback-11648970003?mod=hp_lead_pos7

The pictures are :nms:, but necessary documentation of the atrocities the Russians exacted upon the civilians in the town.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
see its its stuff like that that gets my brain doing dumb poo poo like "oh they are warcriming, lets show them what a warcrime is" and then i have to go splash my face with water call myself a dumbass and just feel sad about it instead of suggesting dumb things

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I dunno, I think wiping out the entire male population of a town is pretty up there on the war crime scoreboard

Has there been any indication of whether this was ordered or just a bloodthirsty pack of khornates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dunno but ive been reading too much internet and my first thought that a flight of b1b's packed full of WP would be a measured response.