Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As he famously said, always be a baby, don't ever be a gun

that's my snipe and I'm sticking to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endjinneer posted:

I thought this was quite interesting

In his mind all he needs to do is hold grimly on until his protest finds its way up to a high enough level of management that has Full Possession of The Facts and they'll write him a letter of apology that he can frame on the wall.
It'll never occur to him that the adults have been in the room all along telling him to gently caress off.
That and

Glinner posted:

These people, I thought, were my friends. They were saying they won't be able to get financiers for it unless I step away. I don't think that's true. I think the truth is that, like every other company, they are being ordered about by their under-35s who all seem to believe this s**t.

That weird binary between "under-35s who all seem to believe this s**t" and "the adults finally enter the room". I know Glinner is no stranger to weird binaries, but like why 35? I'm older than that but I know people younger than that with doctorates in fields that I know very little about, or with completely different lived experiences to me, or who have lived in places and cultures different to my own, and why is that less valid? It just makes Glinner look even more like an old bigot with ossified brainworms who says "that's a very interesting thesis miss but I'm going to have to run it past Professor Fifty Year Old White Man Of A Different Department* before I'll consider it."

*the professor was named by adoptive goblin parents

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To go back to the caelan conrad videos again, they love infantilizing everyone who believes different. I would again link it to the same attitude that repeats "oh when you're older you'll be a tory" presumably until the subject expires at the age of 70 and the issue was they just never managed to get old enough.

They think their position is right, and thus it must be a product of all the things that make you right, wisdom of old age, "as a parent", being rich, being famous, having a TV show, being in the government.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I'm going to say that's 2nd-order millennial slippage

1st order is "all young people are millennials"

2nd order is "all millennials are very young, even the 35-year-old ones"

E: and what Owly said, if people don't change their views* as they get older, then they're not getting older properly

*in the right direction. Moving further left as you learn more about how the world works doesn't count

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

Thread, I need your help. I think I have just watched Johnny Cash singing 'Ghost Riders in the sky' on the Muppet Show. Have I had a stroke? If I'm going to to go, this seems oddly appropriate.

I don't think you appreciate just how deeply weird the OG Muppet Show was. Cash's appearance was actually pretty straight by their standards - if that's making you doubt your sanity for god's sake don't look up Peter Sellers or Spike Milligan's appearances.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

therattle posted:

You clearly haven’t googled “Johnny Cash Muppets Show”

Reminder that Motorhead, among others, were on The Young Ones. Although Ace of Spades was clearly mimed and Lemmy didn't threaten Rick like Suggs did.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

Reminder that Motorhead, among others, were on The Young Ones. Although Ace of Spades was clearly mimed and Lemmy didn't threaten Rick like Suggs did.

It was actually performed live (the only act on The Young Ones to do so) but they didn't mic it up properly and it sounded like poo poo, so they dubbed it over with a sound check track from a gig. You can actually hear the point where they transition from the live sound to the recording, just as the drums start up (Lemmy actually fucks up the opening bar of the intro because he wasn't expecting the cue, and you can hear the mains hum from the amps when Mike says "Music!" in the transition), and they also cut in the outro from another recording (you can hear the sudden change in the guitar sound and the edit isn't perfectly beat-matched).

Oh and they completely hosed up the filming of the solos because Phil and Wurzel - in their first ever filmed appearance with the band - changed sides between the rehearsal and performance, so for the entire solo the cameras are focused on the guitarist not playing the solo.

(Why yes, I will defend Motorhead - and The Young Ones, for that matter - with terminal intensity)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The best Muppets musical moment will always be Kermit doing Once In A Lifetime, including the choreography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCY0aeUx-Ns

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

To go back to the caelan conrad videos again, they love infantilizing everyone who believes different.

Bobstar posted:

I'm going to say that's 2nd-order millennial slippage
It just struck me as well that specifically anyone under 35 would have spent at least one secondary school year in an environment where Section 28 wasn't a thing, which I didn't, and while I'm sure that lads didn't stop using 'gay boy' as an insult the moment that happened, before then there were teachers and faculties who were afraid to use fairly tame works by e.g. Judith Butler on gender because of their outspoken lesbian and gay positions putting their books on poo poo lists.

I don't believe that Glinner is anywhere near perceptive enough to pick that exact number, and you're right that he probably does mean millennials (who apparently have all the corporate decision making powers despite spending their house deposit on avocados) but yes it's definitely strange that the kids raised in a less bigoted way even for a short time are less bigoted on aggregate must be their fault and also terrible.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
linehan is an angry, hateful weirdo, i don't think we need to over-analyse it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He is, but this one is yet another long term reason to hate Thatcher too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He is but he is that in a way that a lot of people are like that, and he expresses it in similar ways that a lot of slightly less angry hateful weirdos do it, so I think its worth drawing the line that links him with the slightly less deranged crowd.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
linehan says "i just can't quit you :(" but here you is not a beautiful cowboy that he is in love with, it is instead harassing people on the World-Wide-Web

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Hunchback Shithouse

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

Hunchback Shithouse

Brokebrain Fountain (of shite)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Trickjaw posted:

Thread, I need your help. I think I have just watched Johnny Cash singing 'Ghost Riders in the sky' on the Muppet Show. Have I had a stroke? If I'm going to to go, this seems oddly appropriate.

We had a record with him on singing "I'm Being Swallowed By A Boa Constrictor" when I was little. Johnny Cash gave no shits at all. :rock:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The corncobbing genuinely makes me smile.

As ever more people go "no, gently caress off", he just keeps doubling down, forever, never self-reflecting.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
On a wildly different note, does anyone know of any good podcasts about Levrinty Beria/NKVD? I don't think Behind the Bastards has covered him yet but that's the kind of thing I'm interested in.

We now return to Linechat.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Lady Demelza posted:

On a wildly different note, does anyone know of any good podcasts about Levrinty Beria/NKVD? I don't think Behind the Bastards has covered him yet but that's the kind of thing I'm interested in.

We now return to Linechat.

Hello fellow behind the bastards fan. We just discovered it after we ran out of swindled.

History of the cold war has an episode on him. As does evil men and biographics:history one life at a time. I've not listened to them yet though.

Also thanks for all the input on ME/CFS goons. As it stands the ADHD meds have not been great with ridiculously poo poo come downs that either drove me to a very dark depression with lisdexamfetamine and made me nauseous if I so much as sniffed alcohol. Whereas methylphenidate gives me RAGE that I have to fight to control when I crash. I'm also in absolutely unreal full body and muscle pain, hypersensitive to light, sound and smell.

The fucker with private is its so eye wateringly expensive (300 a month) the motivation to risk changing anything just isn't there as then its going to extend the duration i have to be with them.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It was actually performed live (the only act on The Young Ones to do so) but they didn't mic it up properly and it sounded like poo poo, so they dubbed it over with a sound check track from a gig. You can actually hear the point where they transition from the live sound to the recording, just as the drums start up (Lemmy actually fucks up the opening bar of the intro because he wasn't expecting the cue, and you can hear the mains hum from the amps when Mike says "Music!" in the transition), and they also cut in the outro from another recording (you can hear the sudden change in the guitar sound and the edit isn't perfectly beat-matched).

Oh and they completely hosed up the filming of the solos because Phil and Wurzel - in their first ever filmed appearance with the band - changed sides between the rehearsal and performance, so for the entire solo the cameras are focused on the guitarist not playing the solo.

(Why yes, I will defend Motorhead - and The Young Ones, for that matter - with terminal intensity)

It looked better than when they did Wrestlemania to be fair

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

It looked better than when they did Wrestlemania to be fair

didn't they do the first verse of the song twice?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Johnny Cash is in an episode of Columbo and it's not a bad one.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Wales dwellers:

Consultation on buses in Wales.

https://gov.wales/one-network-one-timetable-one-ticket-planning-buses-public-service-wales

Consultation ends 24th June.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

didn't they do the first verse of the song twice?

I don't think Lemmy remembered any of it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OwlFancier posted:

Also I think why it is often comorbid with "I was cool in the 90's" style progressivisim where you weren't actually that clever or interested but you were vaguely aware that saying "I would actually not spit on a gay person if I saw them in the street" was the height of counterculture and now society has moved on and you're just a sad old liberal with a spent creative output and even your pile of money can't make you feel cool again, and for some reason you can't just buy a porsche and crash it like a normal person.

See also Joss Whedon. They're used to getting cookies for doing the bare minimum and don't understand why they stopped getting credit for it.

Runcible Cat posted:

We had a record with him on singing "I'm Being Swallowed By A Boa Constrictor" when I was little. Johnny Cash gave no shits at all. :rock:

Had to wonder if Cash would more fondly remember performing at a prison or on The Muppet Show.

And of course most under-35s probably know him for the one who did a cover of a Nine Inch Nails song that even Reznor admits was so much better than the original.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
ITS EMPIRE OF poo poo JOHNNY, NOT DIRT

Excellent song, but that always got me.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I preferred "Empire of Poop"" in the Weird Al version.

E: really they all should have just cut out the pretence and referred directly to the British Empire

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

happyhippy posted:

ITS EMPIRE OF poo poo JOHNNY, NOT DIRT

Excellent song, but that always got me.

poo poo doesn't rhyme with hurt

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rhyming is for cowards anyway

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I just went and checked, it's not empire of poo poo, you're thinking of how he changed "crown of poo poo" to "crown of thorns"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Reznor is wrong, the original is so much better. He was just trying to be a nice guy making an old man feed good about his little cover.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Shamefacedly have to admit a mistake here having decided to binge The Young Ones after this post - Motorhead *weren't* the only act to perform live; John Otway performed "Body Talk" live on "Summer Holiday". I think the fan site I got that fact from were deliberately confusing "act" with "band" (for that matter the lion tamer in "Flood" was also technically "live", but I've no idea if he was actually in the studio - seems unlikely).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

stev posted:

Reznor is wrong, the original is so much better. He was just trying to be a nice guy making an old man feed good about his little cover.

Nah NIN suck

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Just like how the original Tears for Fears Mad World is so much better than the Gary Jules version, NIN Hurt is much better than Cash's one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One of the things I really like about Hurt is how the meaning of the song changes depending on the singer, despite the same lyrics. Trent Reznor is singing about drug abuse and depression compounding on each other to ruin his life, Cash is singing about the horror of losing your identity and very life to old age.

A similar song like that is House of the Rising Sun, the version sung by the Animals is easily read to be about the patron of the House, which could be a brothel, gambling house, or opium den (or all three). But when sung by a woman (as was common in older folk versions), there’s an implication is that the singer works at the House, which is more clearly a brothel.

“There is a house in New Orleans,
they call the rising sun
And it’s been the ruin of many a poor girl,
And god, I know I’m one”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought the Cash version was about alcoholism.

House of the Rising Sun is one of those songs I'm familiar with and understand about three words of the lyrics of.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Aphex- posted:

Just like how the original Tears for Fears Mad World is so much better than the Gary Jules version, NIN Hurt is much better than Cash's one.
The thing about a cover version of a well-known song is that you're listening to it in the context of your familiarity with the original. When you listen to them, you're kind of hearing the original in your head, & what you're noticing is the differences between that & the cover, which really emphasises whatever the thing is that they're doing with it & makes you enjoy it more than you otherwise would.

I like a good cover, both of the examples above are amazing & I can totally understand enjoying them more than the original even when the original clearly has more artistic merit, but if you didn't know the original so well the cover versions wouldn't hold up as well in isolation.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I heard the Cash version of Hurt first and it's a hundred times better.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

If you just don't like NIN I think that might be a "you" problem

Pretty Hate Machine & Downward Spiral are both fantastic albums, very few artists have got more than one really good album in them. Also Reznor's just a very talented producer in general (e: also he's about the only musician of that scene & era who I never heard do a homophobia, think he's generally supposed to be pretty decent?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It seems fairly clear from the thread.

NIИ version: bangs.
Cash version: slaps.

I will not be taking additional questions at this time.