Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
My steam deck just showed up. It's very cool. So far no blatant manufacturing defects.

I can confirm that the most recent batch of decks also has way more haptic feedback on the right pad than the left by default, it feels like a software issue because the left pad's haptics are clearly working, they're just way more subtle.

Monster Hunter Rise in my hands AND 60 FPS is the way the game is truly meant to be played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I've had my Steam Deck for about a week and completely forgot I've been paying for Humble Choice for like two straight years now. I have... a lot of games available. Free Borderlands 3 and DLC? Nice.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've been playing Yakuza 7 on it and it's a blast. I don't mind it being 30fps since the combat is (kinda) turnbased. I really don't like playing JRPGs at my desk, but they're great on the couch/in bed.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

I've been playing Yakuza 7 on it and it's a blast. I don't mind it being 30fps since the combat is (kinda) turnbased. I really don't like playing JRPGs at my desk, but they're great on the couch/in bed.

If you set the graphics to low (but not lowest), you get 50-60 fps most of the time and I think it still looks great. Lowest looks like trash and doesn't seem to perform any better than low though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Interesting, I'll try it out. I hope later iterations of the deck have a g-sync equivalent since it seems like a lot of games can run in the 45-60fps range.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I regrettably remembered Space Chem existed

I'm a fan in general of how easy they made it to rebind things on the fly, but I wish there was some more immediately-visible documentation about the nuances of stuff like "adding additional commands" vs "adding sub commands"

Even now I'm not too sure how to properly do something simple-on-paper like binding a button to "Hold down shift, press 1, let go of shift, let go of 1"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I've been saving Yakuza 7 for the deck
This is good news

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I regrettably remembered Space Chem existed

I'm a fan in general of how easy they made it to rebind things on the fly, but I wish there was some more immediately-visible documentation about the nuances of stuff like "adding additional commands" vs "adding sub commands"

Even now I'm not too sure how to properly do something simple-on-paper like binding a button to "Hold down shift, press 1, let go of shift, let go of 1"

Uh space chem ruled

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jokes posted:

Uh space chem ruled

yeah that's the problem

i keep picking up the steam deck, waking it up, remembering that I put it to sleep in the middle of a SC level, spending too much time on it and putting it back to sleep in the middle of a different level, instead of whatever I picked up the deck to play/look at in the first place

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The latest update appears to have sorted out the haptics on my left touchpad.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

The latest update appears to have sorted out the haptics on my left touchpad.

It also added some new haptic customization options in the controller section in settings.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Thanks, beta testers

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Looks like it also added typing with the 2 trackpads? I don't have a Deck yet but I did like that feature on the Steam Controller

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6pGav6RDAZc

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Halo Wars recently got verified on deck and its fun. Probably one of the only RTS games that will play well on a mobile device.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I had a bit of a scare yesterday evening. It looked like my Steam deck stopped charging. I left it plugged in all night and it was still at 91%. I played a bit this morning to drain the battery a bit more and it seems to be charging again.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It doesn't have overcharge protection or whatever like a MacBook does it?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

It doesn't have overcharge protection or whatever like a MacBook does it?

If it does, there's no indication of it in the UI. When I plugged it in last night the "estimated charge time" just kept climbing till it hit 432 hours. This morning it says 22 minutes to full and seems to be working normally.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Kwolok posted:

Yes done tons of tweaking at teh steam host settings. Nothing seems to work, moonlight does work so I know its possible, has anyone else gotten full edge to edge real estate without weird blurring wokring via remote play just using steam's native remote play features?

My Deck arrived about an hour ago and one of the first things I checked out, due to your post, was remote play. I set the streaming options up on both the host and client to have "beautiful" video and left the rest on auto. I'm using an older AC1600 router in a very congested area and the only issue I ran into while testing Yakuza 0 and Dying Light 2 is that, because the host's display is 16:9, the video is 2560x1440, which leaves tiny bars at the top/bottom on the Deck.

The lag (on the same network, anyway--will try online this weekend) was negligible and I thought it worked very well. I expected tons of artifacts around smoke/fire in DL2 due to video compression, but it looked great.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dramicus posted:

Oh man, I had a bit of a scare yesterday evening. It looked like my Steam deck stopped charging. I left it plugged in all night and it was still at 91%. I played a bit this morning to drain the battery a bit more and it seems to be charging again.

I had a similar issue day 1 except just using it didn't fix it and I was at like 40% and falling, honestly thought I had fried the port somehow since it was working prior. Best I could google at the time was some linux kernel autosuspend stuff, but "shutting the deck down, starting it up while holding volume down to boot to bios, go to setup options, power, enable "battery storage mode" and then plug it back in to turn it on" kicked it out of whatever it was doing and it hasn't happened again since--dunno if that's luck or a since-then steam os update tho

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Bloodplay it again posted:

My Deck arrived about an hour ago and one of the first things I checked out, due to your post, was remote play. I set the streaming options up on both the host and client to have "beautiful" video and left the rest on auto. I'm using an older AC1600 router in a very congested area and the only issue I ran into while testing Yakuza 0 and Dying Light 2 is that, because the host's display is 16:9, the video is 2560x1440, which leaves tiny bars at the top/bottom on the Deck.

The lag (on the same network, anyway--will try online this weekend) was negligible and I thought it worked very well. I expected tons of artifacts around smoke/fire in DL2 due to video compression, but it looked great.

Is your text actually clear? Like my text has aliasing going through remote play. Its not unreadable per se but its noticeable and dimiishes quality. This does not happen if I go through moonlight where I get a perfect fullscreen image with no up/down-scaling.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I had a similar issue day 1 except just using it didn't fix it and I was at like 40% and falling, honestly thought I had fried the port somehow since it was working prior. Best I could google at the time was some linux kernel autosuspend stuff, but "shutting the deck down, starting it up while holding volume down to boot to bios, go to setup options, power, enable "battery storage mode" and then plug it back in to turn it on" kicked it out of whatever it was doing and it hasn't happened again since--dunno if that's luck or a since-then steam os update tho

In my case the port always looked fine because the system recognized being plugged in and the % stopped dropping when plugged in, but it just wouldn't charge any further. It might have been just a software issue where the OS just wasn't reading the battery properly or something.

Anyway, good to know there's an option that might fix it if it happens again. Mine seems to be charging and discharging normally again.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Kwolok posted:

Is your text actually clear? Like my text has aliasing going through remote play. Its not unreadable per se but its noticeable and dimiishes quality. This does not happen if I go through moonlight where I get a perfect fullscreen image with no up/down-scaling.

It was smaller due to the host's resolution, but I wouldn't say anything was hard to read. My third tested game was Phantasy Star Online 2, which has a UAC prompt to complicate matters, and it ran like rear end. Looked good running 120+ FPS on the monitor, but looked much like a 480p YouTube video on the Deck and frame times were all over the place. I will have to mess around with several options over the next week and try to find out what works best.

I'd hoped that enabling the host advanced option to match client's display resolution would force streamed games to 1280x800, but all the games still launch at the monitor's resolution regardless, a downscaled 2560x1440 with bars to make up for the difference in aspect ratio. To be fair, it would be too much to ask for that setting to change the resolution in any given game's config files.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Don't have a deck yet so idk where the option is on that but, every other Steam client has an option to select the host resolution remotely. Probably still stuck at 16:9 though.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

homeless snail posted:

Don't have a deck yet so idk where the option is on that but, every other Steam client has an option to select the host resolution remotely. Probably still stuck at 16:9 though.

This doesn't fix the issue unfortunately

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Seems like windows might have gotten a bit of a boost

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
After having used the Steam deck extensively over the last few weeks, I've got to say it's the most comfortable handheld that I've used in a long time.

I also think the dpad is probably my favorite, at least in recent years. It reminds me of a slightly stiffer DS lite dpad, and it might just be slightly stiffer because I've had my DS lite since 2005 or whatever and it might have lost some stiffness over the years.

I also like the frame limiter because it's really easy to almost double the battery life by going to 30 fps, and I'm sure there are some games or RPGs that would work with the 15 fps setting as well.

The software is probably the weakest part of the package and I've still been absolutely blown away at how seemless the experience is. I think i'm absolutely going to install linux or the next steamOS or whatever the next time I do a major upgrade on my gaming desktop. Almost every single game that was designed with a controller in mind will just work on the steam deck, whether it's verified or not and I imagine compatibility would be even better on a normal computer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m just excited that I’ll finally be able to put a game to sleep and have it actually work when I wake the device up.

That’s the biggest feature they managed to get right.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I’m just excited that I’ll finally be able to put a game to sleep and have it actually work when I wake the device up.

That’s the biggest feature they managed to get right.

I haven't tried that feature extensively, but the few times I have, it basically worked like sleeping the switch. Which is very impressive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Especially so if you’ve ever tried it / seen it on windows lol.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Another thing worth mentioning is running games off the SD card works super well to the point that I don't even loving know which games are on the internal SSD and which are on the SD card. It's basically impossible to tell without actually checking in the storage section.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

it's Q2 where's my god damned Deck

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

FBS posted:

it's Q2 where's my god damned Deck

Still not available for preorder in australia.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Picked up a microSD card today, can't wait for disappointment Monday.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Speaking of storage, I was very much not expecting the right-sized SSDs to cost nearly $300 for 1TB. Did not expect that at all.

256GB should be good for now. But I always say that and then regret it somewhere down the line.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Samsung PM991 appears to be physically compatible with the steam deck, and I'm seeing the 1TB model go for around $200 - $220 on ebay. Whether it actually works and how easy it is to swap in, I have no idea.

There also appear to be 512GB single-sided 2230 SSDs available for $60 - $80, so it sucks that there's such a price premium for 1TB. I guess it's like the price premium you get when going from 2TB to 4TB in 2280 SSDs—making NAND flash at that density is just a lot more expensive.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 3, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

Speaking of storage, I was very much not expecting the right-sized SSDs to cost nearly $300 for 1TB. Did not expect that at all.

256GB should be good for now. But I always say that and then regret it somewhere down the line.

You should double-check prices. A quick check on Amazon shows Sandisk 1tb at 177 CAD. So, it shouldn't be close to 300 unless you live in some sort of godforsaken hellscape like Australia or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dramicus posted:

You should double-check prices. A quick check on Amazon shows Sandisk 1tb at 177 CAD. So, it shouldn't be close to 300 unless you live in some sort of godforsaken hellscape like Australia or something.

You're looking at Micro SD, not SSD.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I gladly ordered the 256 GB, I still think it's probably the right one to buy, but I won't know for sure until I have one in my hands.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone have scratchy or distorted audio in game after waking it up from sleep? I do sometimes and have to restart the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

jokes posted:

I feel like Valve should support eGPUs for Decks.

The United States posted:

The Steam Deck does not have a thunderbolt port

jokes posted:

The Steam Deck should get a thunderbolt port

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdgslRR6S2w