Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Clearly Gandalf the Gray would be WB and Gandalf the White would be Mono-W

Maybe Gandalf the Gray would be an Artifact Creature instead?

No Gandalf the White would be R/W just due for having the Ring of Fire gifted to him by Cirdan and openly showing it off.

In Gandalf the Grey he could have a red mana ability since that's the only time he mentions wielding fire against the Balrog. :actually:

As uptight as Elrond is he would be aligned Blue/White

Give me a Fëanor (R/W/B) as an ultimate Voltron commander that specifically needs the Silmarils to function, and a Melkor with partner to Ungoliant who would also win with all three Silmarils.

If Fëanor doesn't have all three Silmarils he causes all Elves on the battlefield to be goaded. Ooooh make getting the Silmarils like a Monarch mechanic.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Goddam I am already exhausted by playing against Tolkien characters in EDH.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Man it sucks Blocs aren't a thing anymore, getting a set that's First Age, Second Age, and then Third Age would be sweet

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Maybe Gandalf the Gray would be an Artifact Creature instead?

Radagast the Brown :colbert:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Jiro posted:

Man it sucks Blocs aren't a thing anymore, getting a set that's First Age, Second Age, and then Third Age would be sweet

War of the Spark was a block that wasn't a block. They could always do that.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Even with the amazon show coming if they did a 3 set block for lotr it would be the 3 books or one for the hobbit and split the other two.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TheLawinator posted:

Even with the amazon show coming if they did a 3 set block for lotr it would be the 3 books or one for the hobbit and split the other two.

I know, it'd be so boring :smith:

Gimme board wipes with flavor text of the war from the First Age that put an entire continent under the goddamn ocean. Gondolin as a legendary land, same with Numenor, gimme three flavors of Sauron, Melkor Lieutenant, Numenorian Death Priest/Vizier, and One Ring wielding Dark Lord.

Hobbit might be an interesting set, more focus on Mirkwood, spider tribal, Necromancer that could transform, Smaug, Lake Town land, Erebor legendary land, Black Arrow legendary artifact, a One Ring that isn't crazy overpowered.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

The Hobbit could be rather good for a set of commander precons, heck could even do a variant on Archenemy with Bilbo and company being the one player side.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would LOVE a magic set that took place on Middle Earth, I just don’t want a Lord of the Rings set

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Can't wait for the Rick and Morty set in Summer 2023.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

"What is my purpose?"

"You get pitched to Force of Will."

"...oh my god."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Saruman will make an awesome 5 color commander.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Lord of the Rings: created with the color pie in mind

I think what he was trying to get at with some settings not working with the color pie is that wh40k as a setting is absolutely hosed and if you tried to fairly represent an overview of the setting most of the cards would have to be black.

Hell even with just commander precons I am extremely dubious that they'll be able to represent stuff properly.

LotR in contrast can fit the color pie just fine.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

I think what he was trying to get at with some settings not working with the color pie is that wh40k as a setting is absolutely hosed and if you tried to fairly represent an overview of the setting most of the cards would have to be black.

Hell even with just commander precons I am extremely dubious that they'll be able to represent stuff properly.

LotR in contrast can fit the color pie just fine.

Yeah, 40k is a setting where I can see a lot of Elish Norn style white, Nahiri style Boros, and Ayli style Orzhov alongside the easy black, red, and Dimir, and maybe Tzeentch followers would be mono-blue or Simic? I'll be dipped if I can think of anything mono-green...

Then again, if we're going by the logic they used for the Street Fighter SL and the D&D dragons, Ultramarines will be blue, Blood Angels red, Dark Angels green, Space Wolves Azorius, White Scars white, Iron Hands black, Salamanders green...

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

"What is my purpose?"

"...oh my god."

"I just kept playing lands and saying go and it kept working!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One of my paper cEDH players has a Rograhk//Silas Deck that he affectionally calls Rick n Morty, and my BFF Chaz has a Bruce/Kamahl list that is crazy strong and after the first game I called it “Hobbes & Shaw”

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Framboise posted:

"What is my purpose?"

"...oh my god."

lol

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yeah, 40k is a setting where I can see a lot of Elish Norn style white, Nahiri style Boros, and Ayli style Orzhov alongside the easy black, red, and Dimir, and maybe Tzeentch followers would be mono-blue or Simic? I'll be dipped if I can think of anything mono-green...

Then again, if we're going by the logic they used for the Street Fighter SL and the D&D dragons, Ultramarines will be blue, Blood Angels red, Dark Angels green, Space Wolves Azorius, White Scars white, Iron Hands black, Salamanders green...

Papa Nurgle is the god of decay but also renewal. He’s clearly Green.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TotalHell posted:

Papa Nurgle is the god of decay but also renewal. He’s clearly Green.

He's green/black. Nurgle is pretty much the epitome of Golgari the same way Khorne and Slaanesh are slightly different flavors of Rakdos and Tzeentch is Dimir.

That's the thing, all of the colors get represented pretty broadly, but mostly in a pair with black. You could totally design a set that way but it would be weird.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Batterypowered7 posted:

When do they finally get to the point of them doing cards based on literal sponsors like:

Skillshare
Sorcery
U
You draw 2 cards. Target opponent draws 1.

Audible
Instant
G
Target creature you control gains vigilance until end of turn.

Blue Apron
Artifact - Equipment
At the beginning of your upkeep, if this is equipped, create two food tokens.
Equip 5

Squarespace
Land
1, Tap: Put a storage counter on this land.

Put the hyperlinks on the cardboard you cowards.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

When do they finally get to the point of them doing cards based on literal sponsors like:

Skillshare
Sorcery
U

Audible
Instant
G

Blue Apron
Artifact - Equipment
Equip 5

Squarespace
Land

Why would you bring this evil into the world!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Skillshare
Sorcery
U

Audible
Instant
G

Blue Apron
Artifact - Equipment
Equip 5

Squarespace
Land

What would the NordVPN and Raid Shadow Legends cards do?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hexproof and players sacrifice things respectively

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

That's the thing, all of the colors get represented pretty broadly, but mostly in a pair with black. You could totally design a set that way but it would be weird.

Totally. I think you’d want to start from that framework, then remove black from almost everything and just accept that most of the fluff has a black bend to it. So tyranids would be mono-G, splash of Gruul? Eldar would be Izzet? Guard feel very Orzhov but could be Boros or just mono-W. Space marines are probably Mardu, they’re just space knights.

Maybe leave the chaos gods that are clearly about sacrificing for power with the black mix? So Nurgle is golgari.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Raid Shadow Legends

It would obviously be a legend with Raid and Shadow.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Arcturas posted:

Totally. I think you’d want to start from that framework, then remove black from almost everything and just accept that most of the fluff has a black bend to it. So tyranids would be mono-G, splash of Gruul? Eldar would be Izzet? Guard feel very Orzhov but could be Boros or just mono-W. Space marines are probably Mardu, they’re just space knights.

Maybe leave the chaos gods that are clearly about sacrificing for power with the black mix? So Nurgle is golgari.

Tyranids are Simic. Psychic bugs that are constantly mutating and evolving.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One of the reasons I was never able to vibe with warhammer 40K was that there appeared to be like dozens of seemingly identical “Space Marines in power armor” factions but all of them are different colors and have different lore and abilities, but even with my limited understanding it seems like you could easily find human factions across all 5 colors of mana.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
There's a lot of 'black = evil' assumption going on above I think, Black is ambition and personal power.

The Imperium (like half the factions) is White as gently caress, Order and Loyalty (on pain of death) is the main thing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

On a societal scale, all of the factions are immensely ambitious, selfish, etc. It's a many-pronged war of total dominance and extermination. Black is pragmatic, black throws the weak into the grinder to fuel the strong, black does anything and everything to win regardless of cost. The imperium includes the other four colors to various degrees, especially white, but at its core it is as black as old Phyrexia and so are its leaders.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I think I'd do Tau as white, Imperium as Black, Necrons as Blue, Orks as Red and Eldar as green. Chaos fits in at every color except white, and Tyranids are sliver-style 5 color tribal.

Then there's plenty of room for off-color imperial cards like blue mechanicus cards, red repentia cards, white imperial guard, green catachans, etc etc

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 4, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

:orks: Oi, orkz is green! Green is best! :orks:

Also, didn't the Eldar gently caress a chaos god into being? That sounds red to me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Magnetic North posted:

:orks: Oi, orkz is green! Green is best! :orks:

Also, didn't the Eldar gently caress a chaos god into being? That sounds red to me.

Eldar hosed a chaos god into being so now they're hideous prudes. Dark Eldar are the guys who want to keep loving so they kidnap people and sacrifice them to the god they hosed into being so it won't eat their souls instead.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well technically I think this setting's Orks are very firmly in Temur territory, but if I try to do a cycle of wedges there's only 3 that really work (mardu imperium, jeskai tau are the other two)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ignite Memories posted:

Well technically I think this setting's Orks are very firmly in Temur territory, but if I try to do a cycle of wedges there's only 3 that really work (mardu imperium, jeskai tau are the other two)

Sultai dark eldar? Abzan eldar?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yea those are the closest, they're not horrible but they don't feel quite right to me

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/efpPygoqb9M

I absolutely love this horrifically beat up EDH deck and the meanings behind them.

Rhystic Studies is such a chill watch

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Batterypowered7 posted:

What would the NordVPN and Raid Shadow Legends cards do?
Raid Shadow Legends would be a reprint of Shahrazad, but you play a sub-game of RSL instead of MTG.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jiro posted:

https://youtu.be/efpPygoqb9M

I absolutely love this horrifically beat up EDH deck and the meanings behind them.

Rhystic Studies is such a chill watch

He’s seriously making the highest quality content related to MtG, I don’t think it’s close. The only content I will plop down on my couch and watch like a show. This episode really got me thinking about my water damaged Skithiryx that lives, retired and undefeated, in my binder. I will instruct my offspring or apostles to bury me with them.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gonna have my final wishes to be buried with an old beat up Animate Dead card in my jacket pocket.........just in case. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

In stupider news,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tolarian/the-academic-133-xl/posts/3473374

Someone tried to game the voting system on prof's deckbox to get a white variant instead of bathroom tile teal.