Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
more and more people are saying this
This poll is closed.
they're coming up to me 57 15.53%
with tears in their eyes and 85 23.16%
they're saying 59 16.08%
SIR! we want thread! 134 36.51%
straight out of central casting 32 8.72%
Total: 202 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Love to let context determine whether I’m working with a date or a date time interval, nothing can go wrong there

I have written thousands and thousands of lines of JavaScript code and it all works like a swiss watch, it's all in the technique

e: it helps when you're the only person writing the code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I've never once met a person who learned to program with python who wrote good code. ever

i tell anyone that asks to not learn python first and get called a nazi

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

emfive posted:

I have written thousands and thousands of lines of JavaScript code and it all works like a swiss watch, it's all in the technique

our repo branches in bitbucket look like someone boiled a entire truckload of spaghetti and opened the tailgate while speeding down the highway, it's not possible in most cases

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle, like python but with one of those strict typing libraries

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Foo Diddley posted:

maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle, like python but with one of those strict typing libraries

not pythonish enough for python people

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

i know people tend to thing dick pics are a relatively new phenomenon but im pretty sure a historian could dig up some evidence of a 14th century French noble commissioning an artist to do several dick portraits on oil canvas to send to eligible lady suitors

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Wish I was hanging out with gay spirits right now

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Plinkey posted:

our repo branches in bitbucket look like someone boiled a entire truckload of spaghetti and opened the tailgate while speeding down the highway, it's not possible in most cases

perhaps I am a genius :smugdog:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

emfive posted:

perhaps I am a genius :smugdog:

highly doubtful

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I'll just stick to SQL, no desire to do actual coding lol

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

dew worm posted:

is this Klingon

lol

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

to be fair the weirdos I'm currently working for have a massive pile of code written in C, Lua, PHP, and JavaScript, and it is a massive disaster, like seriously irreparably bad. It mostly works, but it's awful beyond description.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

emfive posted:

it is a massive disaster, like seriously irreparably bad. It mostly works, but it's awful beyond description.

that's the cspam motto

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

If you don't do DB dev, there are two schools of DB dev - T-SQL (MS SQL server) style where you do everything in tables via sql calls because there is no procedural intermediary, and Oracle style stuff via PL/SQL, which is a general purpose programming language that's just attached to a DB. You generally create PL/SQL data structures, load data into those structures, operate on it, and put it back when you're done.

The first kind of development ain't great in healthcare IT because you generally do not want to give end users access to modify DB structures because there's a whole bunch of poo poo in there you don't want devs modifying, creating, or destroying. My last job involved a ~$20b/year billing system and I couldn't create, modify, or destroy any db structures or pre-existing data, I had to do everything in memory.

At my current job, I've got an application that was written to T-SQL standards despite being in an Oracle DB. I'm trying to document a massive application that was built by a guy who left in 2020 and his apprentice is leaving on Friday. And it's all basically dynamic SQL statements because the guy who wrote it all, despite being a brilliant dude, never learned how to do poo poo in Oracle and never documented anything he did.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

what a mindfuck

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Plinkey posted:

highly doubtful

Working in a language like JavaScript or Python requires a different way of thinking about how you're telling the computer what to do. There's really no difference. Working in something like Scala, with a Turing-complete type system, is pretty cool, I'm sure, if that's what you want to do. But to me, as an ancient, it's just swapping one set of problems for another.

Apr 7, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

I'll just stick to SQL, no desire to do actual coding lol

I'm a total loving moron and I'm making a hair under $122K to do PL/SQL poo poo

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

If you don't do DB dev, there are two schools of DB dev - T-SQL (MS SQL server) style where you do everything in tables via sql calls because there is no procedural intermediary, and Oracle style stuff via PL/SQL, which is a general purpose programming language that's just attached to a DB. You generally create PL/SQL data structures, load data into those structures, operate on it, and put it back when you're done.

The first kind of development ain't great in healthcare IT because you generally do not want to give end users access to modify DB structures because there's a whole bunch of poo poo in there you don't want devs modifying, creating, or destroying. My last job involved a ~$20b/year billing system and I couldn't create, modify, or destroy any db structures or pre-existing data, I had to do everything in memory.

At my current job, I've got an application that was written to T-SQL standards despite being in an Oracle DB. I'm trying to document a massive application that was built by a guy who left in 2020 and his apprentice is leaving on Friday. And it's all basically dynamic SQL statements because the guy who wrote it all, despite being a brilliant dude, never learned how to do poo poo in Oracle and never documented anything he did.

man, you're livin' in a weird world. But I sincerely hope you're happy and that you live long and prosper.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

I'm a total loving moron and I'm making a hair under $122K to do PL/SQL poo poo

Hell yeah, the inevitable conclusion to Trump Thread Dick Measuring is here. Leftists, please post your salaries.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

emfive posted:

to be fair the weirdos I'm currently working for have a massive pile of code written in C, Lua, PHP, and JavaScript, and it is a massive disaster, like seriously irreparably bad. It mostly works, but it's awful beyond description.

Did they let everyone pick their own language

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

emfive posted:

Working in a language like JavaScript or Python requires a different way of thinking about how you're telling the computer what to do. There's really no difference. Working in something like Scala, with a Turing-complete type system, is pretty cool, I'm sure, if that's what you want to do. But to me, as an ancient, it's just swapping one set of problems for another.

i mostly work on APIs so having solid data structures is pretty important, and people that don't use proper inheritance in POCOs can suck my nuts

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Looks just because I design algorithms that could enable hunter seeker murder mob behavior for a company that builds murder drones doesn't mean it wasn't used for "search and rescue"

Apr 7, 2003

emfive posted:

man, you're livin' in a weird world. But I sincerely hope you're happy and that you live long and prosper.

I like what I do because my brain is broken, my primary utility to my employer right now is the labyrinthine business poo poo I get to be a SME on. My coding stuff is an add on to that. I could quit coding entirely and play SME for HEDIS tomorrow and make as much money as I make now.

I just like doing dipshit dev stuff and playing rules lawyer with determining whether or not a given person has had their cervical cancer screening this year and whether or not they have a lack of cervix exemption.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I'll have you know I also give money to dsa!

Apr 7, 2003

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

Hell yeah, the inevitable conclusion to Trump Thread Dick Measuring is here. Leftists, please post your salaries.

A real leftist society would shoot me in the back of the head

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

I like what I do because my brain is broken, my primary utility to my employer right now is the labyrinthine business poo poo I get to be a SME on. My coding stuff is an add on to that. I could quit coding entirely and play SME for HEDIS tomorrow and make as much money as I make now.

I just like doing dipshit dev stuff and playing rules lawyer with determining whether or not a given person has had their cervical cancer screening this year and whether or not they have a lack of cervix exemption.

yea I almost want to finish my working life being a product manager, or something like that, because although I like programming and I think (know) I'm really really good at it, it's more important to prevent people from doing loving stupid stuff, which is a problem quite often.

also tremp

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i do all my coding by writing a documentation comment then i feed that into a Transformer model

Apr 7, 2003

Every worker should know what every other worker makes, hiding salaries only benefits capital.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Looks just because I design algorithms that could enable hunter seeker murder mob behavior for a company that builds murder drones doesn't mean it wasn't used for "search and rescue"

even worse: pfc works at a health insurance company

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

man I got my dual monitor MacBook goin' here, two mice, two keyboards, my weird camera HDMI->USB thing, a USB mic, all workin' great, I'm a Apple dude now.

At some point I need to unhook the laptop from all the cords and make sure nothing goes insane.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
https://twitter.com/NickAdamsinUSA/status/1510399593242144770?t=D0fZDCgwovbJZxbqk-TYeA&s=19

Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

even worse: pfc works at a health insurance company

I work in care quality improvement though

My last job was seven years at another insurance company figuring out how to bill people better

Apr 7, 2003

emfive posted:

man I got my dual monitor MacBook goin' here, two mice, two keyboards, my weird camera HDMI->USB thing, a USB mic, all workin' great, I'm a Apple dude now.

At some point I need to unhook the laptop from all the cords and make sure nothing goes insane.

You don't need to do this fyi. Universal Control means you can use one mouse + one keyboard to control any number of Apple devices as long as they're all on the same iCloud account.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

trib

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

emfive posted:

lol if you've never looked at some code and cursed the name of whichever idiot wrote it before looking at the history and seeing it was you six months ago

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Every worker should know what every other worker makes, hiding salaries only benefits capital.

this is 100% true, one of my first "jobs" was at EDS (Ross Perot's company) in Dallas, and discussing salary was considered a firing offense. I'm pretty sure that even in 1980 that was not legal, but I was just a child so even though I thought that sounded like bullshit I didn't really get upset about it.

that was when I learned COBOL.

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys
what is a code

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

emfive posted:

why do you have two keyboards and mice

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tinstaach posted:

lol if you've never looked at some code and cursed the name of whichever idiot wrote it before looking at the history and seeing it was you six months ago

please dont give me flashbacks to my 100% reflective test bench suite that i wrote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1510449479270379523