Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Dragongem posted:

Speaking of annoying things, why does it take literally 3 seconds to offensive spells? I wanted to do magic but the magic books take so long to cast.

You can dash to cancel most of the recovery after casting a spell. Magic seems pretty good so far, the good spells are better than most of the slow weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

v. happy that rune factory is back, gonna harvest the carcass of some dread hellbeast to make an insanely cool watering can

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Silver Falcon posted:

I TAMED A GIANT CHICKEN!

Nice! As a heads up, you can technically tame most of the bosses too! And yes, that means you can bring the horse man and the horse with you to a dungeon.

Unlike normal enemies though, you need something specific to tame a boss. Usually that's a giant crop or a high-end cooking recipe.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Speaking of ThingsWithBosses and RF4

You can upgrade staves with boss drops which give them special attacks and abilities usually related to the boss' own attacks. Some are useless, some are fun, most are more flashy than technically useful but you can still make some really interesting pseudo-magic builds.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Like most of RF's advanced mechanics, you probably wanna check the guides in the gamefaqs forums and/or the RF wiki for further information.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
both 4 and 5 have the same issue where sure you could be a wizard with your wizard stick cast lame wizard spells or even meta optimal things like dual blade blendering or you could suplex monsters with your bare hands

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How late does Ludmila unlock in rf5. I hear she comes in act 2, how many acts are there?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Avalerion posted:

How late does Ludmila unlock in rf5. I hear she comes in act 2, how many acts are there?

There are only 2 acts plus the post game dungeon.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I haven’t had a single crash and often leave the game paused/ suspended. However I also play exclusively in handheld mode.

I play exclusively handheld as well, on an OLED Switch. I've started closing the game between sessions just in case it helps.

It's a little annoying going through a loading screen to get to a save point but I really recommend everyone save after anything significant during the day that you wouldn't want to have to redo. I had caught so many fish :negative:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
As jank as the game is I feel like it would benefit the most from a PC release.
The load times could be almost eliminated.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

She's after the seventh dungeon. I think it was around 11 hours for me and I was focusing on the story.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
If you do the story quests literally as fast as possible you should be able to get Ludmilla a few days before the end of spring.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Having the Cecil romance icon hovering over Palmos store is literally the most cursed thing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dirk the Average posted:

Nice! As a heads up, you can technically tame most of the bosses too! And yes, that means you can bring the horse man and the horse with you to a dungeon.

Unlike normal enemies though, you need something specific to tame a boss. Usually that's a giant crop or a high-end cooking recipe.

:stare: Well hello new goal.

I only JUST managed to fail upwards towards a lv 5 turnip for Doug's stupid quest. I picked turnip because the seeds are cheep and I could mass produce pickled turnips out of them to get cooking levels. I just started Autumn. Just need to wait for that thing to grow in and ship it and I'll be able to do more quests.

I still haven't managed to upgrade my tools past bronze. :( I'm at lv 30 farming, 20 logging, 28 mining, 21 fishing, and this stupid Farming Bread won't give up the goods still. :argh:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

RF5 autosaves at the start of a new day from resting in bed (doesn't count events that force a day to pass) and whenever you enter any dungeon floor so you can force autosaves if you warp to a dungeon. The postgame dungeon doesn't autosave normally with the exception of floors with bosses.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Silver Falcon posted:

:stare: Well hello new goal.

I only JUST managed to fail upwards towards a lv 5 turnip for Doug's stupid quest. I picked turnip because the seeds are cheep and I could mass produce pickled turnips out of them to get cooking levels. I just started Autumn. Just need to wait for that thing to grow in and ship it and I'll be able to do more quests.

I still haven't managed to upgrade my tools past bronze. :( I'm at lv 30 farming, 20 logging, 28 mining, 21 fishing, and this stupid Farming Bread won't give up the goods still. :argh:

What is your forging level? Thats the limit here as well.

Also taming the boss horse requires king carrots, so you need to plant carrots and buy giantizers to make them gigantic. (a batch of 4 combines into a giant one)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

What is your forging level? Thats the limit here as well.

Also taming the boss horse requires king carrots, so you need to plant carrots and buy giantizers to make them gigantic. (a batch of 4 combines into a giant one)

Mother FUCKER is that what's been holding me back this whole time?!

I'm guessing that's too low.

I just planted a bunch of carrots, so I'll have to look into how to make them giant so I can tame a horse.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Silver farming tools are level 30 recipes so yes, your forging needs to be 20-ish to learn them and 25-ish to actually make.
The other breakpoints are 45 for gold ones and 80 for platinum ones.

And check the plants shop, they should sell "Giantizer". Sprinkle that on the carrot soil and dont harvest them when they're done. They eventually become giant.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Silver Falcon posted:

Mother FUCKER is that what's been holding me back this whole time?!

I'm guessing that's too low.

I just planted a bunch of carrots, so I'll have to look into how to make them giant so I can tame a horse.

Quick way to level up forging is to make a cheapass single-iron sword and then use more iron (or scrap metals) to upgrade it. Use food and the baths to keep your RP up and remember that if you're out of RP doing anything that uses RP will take exactly 1/4 of your HP so you can no-RP forge up to 3 times before you get knocked out.

Also crafting won't fail as long as the RP cost is less than your max RP, your current RP doesn't matter (save for the HP deduction mentioned above) so don't be afraid of hitting the limit.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kyte posted:

Quick way to level up forging is to make a cheapass single-iron sword and then use more iron (or scrap metals) to upgrade it. Use food and the baths to keep your RP up and remember that if you're out of RP doing anything that uses RP will take exactly 1/4 of your HP so you can no-RP forge up to 3 times before you get knocked out.

Also crafting won't fail as long as the RP cost is less than your max RP, your current RP doesn't matter (save for the HP deduction mentioned above) so don't be afraid of hitting the limit.

As an aside, you can upgrade with anything, not just with metals. That means you can stuff turnip seeds in there, or grass, or whatever. Different materials will have a difficulty rating, and that difficulty rating will make the upgrade cost more RP. This is a good thing if you're leveling, because higher RP cost = more xp earned.

The reason I stress the non-metal part of this is that you're gonna make a lot of broadswords or small shields to level up forging or crafting, and that means using a lot of iron. Not that iron is in short supply or anything, but it's worth keeping in mind.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just forge a lot of hoes. Crafting is was more tricky to level I agree

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I finally got enough numbers to upgrade my farming tools! I feel much less sucky now.

Stupid question of the day time:

A few of my monster farm hands like me enough to help with planting. How do I... actually do that? I tried giving the cow a few turnip seeds but I think the game just gave them to it as gifts, rather than "Hey, go plant these."

Thanks for the tips on forging cheapass swords/shields and then upgrading them. Trying to figure that out made me uh... realize I hadn't ever upgraded a thing the entire game.... I upgraded my armor and weapon and went and gave that stupid lava dungeon (that caused me to put the game down for several YEARS) what for! Then the next dungeon was no problem!

I feel like I'm actually not sucking at the game, for once!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, you ask them to help with farm work, then talk to them again and there should be an option to ask them to plant seeds. They plant random crops scattered around, so it's not always the most useful thing in the world, but if you're just growing stuff to grow stuff, it works.

Also, congrats on the progress! Glad you're moving forward with things!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Use them to help you water crops but not plant seeds imo. Also if they get tired just heal them with a spell or potions.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wait can you just skip fodder and just use a healing spell

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You still need fodder but you can skip the downtime of them getting tired by healing them.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I unlocked Beatrice and Reinhart and I love them both, please can I just come live with you guys in the creepy temple?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Another small grievance i have with RF5: why does it till the entire stack of stuff into the field you place it on? makes it much harder to micromanage stuff with corn

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

Another small grievance i have with RF5: why does it till the entire stack of stuff into the field you place it on? makes it much harder to micromanage stuff with corn
god it's awful, I got to endgame and was individually breaking out every four-leaf clover etc

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What effect does spil health actually have? I know it effects how many times you can harvest re-growing plants but I assume it's more than that of its worth the trouble of bothering to hoe corn, since filling the fertilizer bin seems to do a pretty good job of keeping my pumpkins etc alive

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
From what I understand, if it drops too low stuff will wither more often and eventually die at 0. Lower health slows growth too. It feels like the fertlizer takes care of normal farming, but monsoons, chemicals, and multiple repeated harvests will drain it quick.

I'm curious how much the farm dragons affect it since they got an hp increase option. Would like to go hogwild with the grow speed enhancers tbh.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PBnJamo posted:

From what I understand, if it drops too low stuff will wither more often and eventually die at 0. Lower health slows growth too. It feels like the fertlizer takes care of normal farming, but monsoons, chemicals, and multiple repeated harvests will drain it quick.

I'm curious how much the farm dragons affect it since they got an hp increase option. Would like to go hogwild with the grow speed enhancers tbh.

The fire crystal option is a +2.0x speed increase to every plot, so do that twice and you max them all out instantly.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
drat, might need to just move all my operations to the Earth dragon.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I went into RF5 mostly blind and have finally put real time in and thoughts

- I like the cast a lot. Too many cool unattached characters you still can't marry though. Particularly Hina's mum.
- the earth dragon is cute as hell.
- I'm glad I'm easygoing bout performance cause oof this is rough.

Hopefully this gets a port to PC/PS4/5 to smooth things out.

Extra Hopefully it gets an S version with the doctor and fox mom available.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The doctors married to an absent husband so there's zero chances for her. Elsje I can see though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I had a typhoon blow in yesterday and destroy half of my crop fields. :( I was warned about it ahead of time, but the item that guards against it was super expensive and only covers like... a 6th of the field at a time, and I have 3 fields.

I have a crafting recipe to make the stuff, but wasn't warned of the typhoon in nearly enough time to grow the ingredients for the stuff. :(

How long does it even last? I'm growing ingredients for the anti-typhoon stuff now cuz it also protects against winter storms, but I couldn't find any information on how long it protects your fields for. I need... a lot of it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’m playing RF4 and in Runa Prana. Woof. I’m using stuff that is current with what’s dropping from the things in there but I’m getting destroyed and my weapons aren’t up to snuff. I’m gonna guess this is where I need to start abusing the crafting system? I tried tossing failed dishes at a boss and it did nothing so I’m guessing that’s no longer a strategy.

I’ve done tons of suicide runs into Sharance but save for like 10 love potions, haven’t found much of use in there.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Saxophone posted:

I’m playing RF4 and in Runa Prana. Woof. I’m using stuff that is current with what’s dropping from the things in there but I’m getting destroyed and my weapons aren’t up to snuff. I’m gonna guess this is where I need to start abusing the crafting system? I tried tossing failed dishes at a boss and it did nothing so I’m guessing that’s no longer a strategy.

I’ve done tons of suicide runs into Sharance but save for like 10 love potions, haven’t found much of use in there.

Yeah, that's about where you really need to start abusing crafting. Easiest way to progress would be taming monsters or bosses from the maze and using them to steamroll the enemies. Slightly less easy would be making the longsword with 50% faint attack, and stuffing it full of the racoon leaf things and/or glittia augite to get your attack range up and then spamming cyclone to hit the whole screen at once multiple times. Bonus points if you tenfold steel a melody bottle in there too to inflict every other status effect at the same time.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Saxophone posted:

So a few quirks of the crafting system: Items made/upgraded with Object X inverse the upgrade stats of every item used after them; this effect can be reversed by using another object x later in the upgrading. Using all four coloured rune prana cores (Green/Blue/Red/Yellow in that order) will give your equipment -10% non-elemental damage resistance. Double Steel doubles the effect of the previous upgrade. Ten Fold Steel does the same but 8x. Glitta Augite increases range.
Mealy Apples give a ton of -STR/VIT/INT and -10% all ele resistances. Multiple Apples stack their effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Silver Falcon posted:

How long does it even last? I'm growing ingredients for the anti-typhoon stuff now cuz it also protects against winter storms, but I couldn't find any information on how long it protects your fields for. I need... a lot of it.
afaik it lasts until a typhoon hits - it adds "defense" to a field that is only depleted by storms

also it's relatively cheap to just buy a shitload once you get the money train going, another mechanic that only sucks early on, which is brutal :(