Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Where is this from?

the Marvel Meow infinite comic, written and drawn by Nao Fuji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it's such an odd choice to make Ben a villain again after all the effort to redeem him ...

Same drat thing they did with Doc Ock.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

radlum posted:

The one with the mechanical collar? It's a cat; Doctor Shapiro, an intelligent cat that works for Tony Stark.

The real question is where is Bats the Ghost Dog.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

The real question is where is Bats the Ghost Dog.

Many people are asking this

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf this isn't like Clone Conspiracy Ben who just inexplicably became an rear end in a top hat for no reason, he's covered in Beyond Corp goop that is making him evil.

Way easier to do a storyline for that and end it with a big return than it is to try and walk back why he was just Jackal 2.0 that one time

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

tbf this isn't like Clone Conspiracy Ben who just inexplicably became an rear end in a top hat for no reason, he's covered in Beyond Corp goop that is making him evil.

Way easier to do a storyline for that and end it with a big return than it is to try and walk back why he was just Jackal 2.0 that one time

The goop's not making him evil, it's the fact that Beyond hosed with his head to where he barely has any memories and is in a permanent identity/existential crisis.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

So Beyond gaslighted him?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Peter could have just told Ben he'd take him the X-Men sex Island so one of the thousand telepaths that owe him a favor can do a psychic c&p on his memories

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The idea is without Peters original memories he’s evil I guess.

Which is stupid for many reasons, many of which is that Ben led a whole life after the cloning thing so removing some memories shouldn’t change his personality that much

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is stupid for many reasons, many of which is that Ben led a whole life after the cloning thing so removing some memories shouldn’t change his personality that much

He's missing all the formative Parker memories. All the Uncle Ben and Aunt May influence.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

CharlestheHammer posted:

drat they couldn't go six months without another "actually Spider-Man's the bad guy" story huh.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Honestly after thinking about it today I'm not sure what else you do with Ben Reilly, and this is as someone who loves the character. Ben has one big inescapable problem : he's just Peter Parker again.

This is both literally and meta-narratively written into his DNA. He was an attempt to return to the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man vibe when Peter drifted away from that after years of people chasing that Kraven's Last Hunt dragon, and that's not really a niche that needs to be filled anymore because...well, Peter Parker is Peter Parker. And even with the years Ben spent on his own that only separates him so much because everything formative and capital i-Important to Peter as a character happened to him too. If you wanted to get away him that and push a direction like "oh his experiences HARDENED him so now he's kind of a dick" then you just made Kaine again.

This basically limits Ben's unique attribute to "being a clone", and that means he's best suited towards questions about identity and imposter syndrome but even then those are storylines (one we just saw in Beyond) and not really an angle on the character that gives him a better fit to the Spider-mythos.

Even if you did come up with something unique for the character to do you'd have to ask yourself if this is really better suited for another straight white cis dude who is literally identical to the character he's a spin-off instead of Miles or Gwen or Anya or anyone else.

I dunno maybe he should have just stayed dead. I like the Chasm costume though.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 3, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He should have stayed dead, yes. Which is funny because that's also what someone could have said after the Clone Saga. Maybe we're doomed to continually revive the clone and then kill him off when we realize the error once again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ben absolutely should have stayed dead and I'm a Ben Reilly super fan.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blockhouse posted:

Honestly after thinking about it today I'm not sure what else you do with Ben Reilly, and this is as someone who loves the character. Ben has one big inescapable problem : he's just Peter Parker again.

This is both literally and meta-narratively written into his DNA. He was an attempt to return to the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man vibe when Peter drifted away from that after years of people chasing that Kraven's Last Hunt dragon, and that's not really a niche that needs to be filled anymore because...well, Peter Parker is Peter Parker. And even with the years Ben spent on his own that only separates him so much because everything formative and capital i-Important to Peter as a character happened to him too. If you wanted to get away him that and push a direction like "oh his experiences HARDENED him so now he's kind of a dick: then you just made Kaine again.

This basically limits Ben's unique attribute to "being a clone", and that means he's best suited towards questions about identity and imposter syndrome but even then those are storylines (one we just saw in Beyond) and not really an angle on the character that gives him a better fit to the Spider-mythos.

Even if you did come up with something unique for the character to do you'd have to ask yourself if this is really better suited for another straight white cis dude who is literally identical to the character he's a spin-off instead of Miles or Gwen or Anya or anyone else.

I dunno maybe he should have just stayed dead. I like the Chasm costume though.

Didn't he used to live in Houston? That's an interesting angle. What if Spiderman lived in Houston? Replace all the obnoxious New York references with Houston references.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gripweed posted:

Didn't he used to live in Houston? That's an interesting angle. What if Spiderman lived in Houston? Replace all the obnoxious New York references with Houston references.

Nope that's Kaine

The previous Scarlet Spider series did have Ben in Las Vegas but the angle was "he has fake comic book DID and is hallucinating his multiple personalities" which uh

sucks

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yes and everyone in Houston hates Kaine not because there's a JJJ to whip up sentiment against him but because he grew up in NYC so he keeps pronouncing Houston wrong.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lobok posted:

Yes and everyone in Houston hates Kaine not because there's a JJJ to whip up sentiment against him but because he grew up in NYC so he keeps pronouncing Houston wrong.

See that owns. Spiderman is so based in New York, it's an integral part of the character. Make another Spiderman and steep them in a different city to the same degree, and you have something fun and new.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Kaine SS series was so goddamned good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked Ben Reilly going into space with Iron Man and punching Korvak

He probably didn't need to be a Joker tho

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Anti-hero Joker Spiderman in Los Angeles. The hero of Silver Lake. Launch a new West Coast Avengers series at the same time for crossovers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gripweed posted:

See that owns. Spiderman is so based in New York, it's an integral part of the character. Make another Spiderman and steep them in a different city to the same degree, and you have something fun and new.

I'm just joking but it could have been a thing in the series. Ended too soon but it was fun while it lasted.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ben being Spider-Man but without the positive influences he had growing up is interesting. I don't think he's being positioned as a straight up villain. A good writer could make that work.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I really don’t get why we can’t have Ben Reilly brother of Peter Parker and have them divert in personality over a series of stories and experiences and whatnot. This is not that complicated.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Anti-hero Joker Spiderman in Los Angeles. The hero of Silver Lake. Launch a new West Coast Avengers series at the same time for crossovers.

Sure, but only if you make them all Jokers. Joker Iron Man. Joker Captain America. Joker Thor. Joker Ghost Rider.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gatts posted:

I really don’t get why we can’t have Ben Reilly brother of Peter Parker and have them divert in personality over a series of stories and whatnot. This is not that complicated.

Because then you still end up with a run of stories about two of the exact same guy doing the exact same stuff while you make that divergence natural (assuming you ever actually do) and still suck up air in the room that could be for characters who aren't Peter Parker 2 Dyejob Boogaloo

Like there is not really a reason to have a Peter Parker and a Ben Reilly book over two Peter Parker books

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sure there is. There’s plenty of reasons. Even the 90s had great moments with Ben as Scarlet Spider.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gatts posted:

Sure there is. There’s plenty of reasons. Even the 90s had great moments with Ben as Scarlet Spider.

Sure. When Ben Reilly was the only Spider-Man and there wasn't two of the exact same dude around.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Blockhouse posted:

Sure. When Ben Reilly was the only Spider-Man and there wasn't two of the exact same dude around.

No, they had a good run when both were around though Peter was the one going through a dark time and Ben was the lighter one in personality. Their interplay with each other was good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

I really don’t get why we can’t have Ben Reilly brother of Peter Parker and have them divert in personality over a series of stories and experiences and whatnot. This is not that complicated.

Don't be crazy, we couldn't have multiple Spider-Men around.

...wait poo poo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Could just have Ben be the one who settles down and has a family since Peter seems doomed to being an eternal bachelor in the main continuity

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

drrockso20 posted:

Could just have Ben be the one who settles down and has a family since Peter seems doomed to being an eternal bachelor in the main continuity

I look forward to his kids getting eaten by Morlun if they did that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first mistake they made was changing Ben's rad Spider-Man costume.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gatts posted:

Venom is a good guy, so they need a new bad guy who is Venom. Simple as.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Venom is a good guy, so they need a new bad guy who is Venom. Simple as.

But the name Chasm? Really? Like might as well go with Burrito.

I guess all the names are being used up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gatts posted:

This is literally his origin but I don’t think anyone remembers the lost years

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gatts posted:

But the name Chasm? Really? Like might as well go with Burrito.

I guess all the names are being used up.

Yeah, it would be better if Ben’s new ID was at least spider-adjacent. Molt? Wolf Spider? Necrosis?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
It certainly looks like someone on corporate doesn't want more than one figure fulfilling each spider-role. Experienced spider-man? Peter. Kaine's there if you need edgy spider-man, there's like 12 villains that are some evil version of peter in some capacity and also all of the symbiotes, Miles Morales is the Young Marketable Spider-Man, Silk is the Spider-Woman, Ghost-Spider is basically the Young Spider-Woman figure when it's not Silk (Because Spider-Woman is an avengers character)... like, actually, Kaine's dead, so even that doesn't fit there. Ghost Spider is the big one that flagged "Oh, they want every single one of these characters to have their own licensed and trademark-able design and name that they get called in the comic, now" to me, this is just the latest of those, but... not nearly so graceful.

E:Has any comic already used "NEW POWERS: NEW RESPONSIBILITIES" on the spider-line because that feels like a missed opportunity if not

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 4, 2022

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Bring back Kaine as Scarlet Spider you cowards! I really enjoyed that series because they explored "all of the power... none of the responsibility!" In interesting ways...also the costume rocked.

Ben is probably better left dead but i have a hard time believing the only two options that work for "Peter Parker clone" spider-man comics books are Peter and Kaine and nothing in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did y'all know Spider-cide just came back in the new Ben Reilly flashback book?

Spidercide.