Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm ok with weapon types being doled out by story missions IF those missions are extremely early. The appeal of games like this is being able to customize your character or playstyle so by doing gatekeeping of combat variety using story checkpoints is not really my wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lobok posted:

I'm ok with weapon types being doled out by story missions IF those missions are extremely early. The appeal of games like this is being able to customize your character or playstyle so by doing gatekeeping of combat variety using story checkpoints is not really my wish.

Yeah I'm the person that does everything I can before the story missions so I'd rather they keep separate. I'm on board with making them modifiable, keep the innate bonuses the bows have but allow you to adjust what ammo they take. That way I won't have to carry two goddam slings to have Frost and Purgewater for when I'm going against a Fireclaw.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
My ideal system is to have one of each weapon type, given as rewards for the first third of main quests or so (like up through arriving at the base). Then they can have quests give an upgrade material (not unlike greenshine, where it comes in tiers and is not just in every box like shards are) in addition to experience/skill points. For special upgrades like adding an ammo type or jumps in rarity you can require a machine component but it should only be as many as you’d get from a single “herd” of that machine type, so as long as you shoot it off correctly you never have to farm multiple encounters per upgrade.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lobok posted:

My suggestion was less that weapons should be gate kept by story missions and that the story should just make sure people stay equipped, so someone just playing the story doesn't end up under leveled. But yeah I'd say make sure all weapons were accessible relatively early on in their base form.

But overall I think the only think the main thing would be just upgrading to make the inventory manageable and elimnating rewarding the player with bad gear that gets way too spread out on the weapon wheel.

Like say, an early mission wants you take out a scorcher. You go and do that mission and are rewarded with a fire arrow upgrade to the basic bow. Each thing you do in the world makes these base weapons better so literally every mission has a different incentive to complete it. if you skip that mission and do it at level 50 the reward is still an objective upgrade to your loadout.

Right now say you do an early mission to get rid of a scorcher. You wait a bit and do it later. the game gives you a green fire bow. You already have a purple fire bow...Like, the only incentive to do missions is if the mission sounds fun. Which is like, cool. But the rewards usually feel real bad.

Alternately maybe a way to merge weapons? I dunno. I just don't want 5 bows that use regular hunter arrows and then have 1 or 2 elemental effects. just let me stick all that poo poo on one bow.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's why I don't like the rarity system. You have all these weapons that can be upgraded and modified but there's a floor and ceiling on the stats so that some weapons are just better than others. I'd much rather a system where they are all different and it's up to you what is best based on what you want. The game already goes part of the way there with the unique perks. So why not have weapons that all have similar upgrade paths. An early-game weapon could be just as good as a late-game one by the time they're both maxed out, but for different reasons. "Oh this new Boltblaster is going to be great for anti-armour but the first one I got back at the start is perfect for applying status."

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Apparently most of the legendary weapons got nerfed a bit, odd that the blastsling was nerfed for its adhesive ammo and not the explosive.

https://youtu.be/NvEvEaZ9K-0

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

mastershakeman posted:

Great game, I think my two issues are that the pacing is messy and that the weapon system is a mess. They clearly hated that the first game everyone just rushed for the purple bows, but it's time to stop having a million weapons and just have one base one of each type you upgrade more and more.

There are already a few sidequests that seem written as if they're introducing a new weapon type, even if you might already have a different one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the first one that made me take notice was when I went into a city and bought a purple shield tripcaster. Then right after I fire up a sidequest and they act like I am unearthing this ancient tech that create shields and hoo boy it's gonna be amazing when I do. And I'm just sitting there like, is this some sort of big buildup to give me the thing I already just bought? Lo and behold after this long rear end quest they give me a green or blue version of the purple thing I bought at a vendor 5 minutes earlier. Like, why would you make this whole big side quest around something you can just buy 5 feet away and treat it like it is super epic lol.

Also as far as I can tell that ability is worthless too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finally getting around to playing this, opinions on Easy loot on or off? It just makes it so you don't have to physically shoot the parts off right? Also difficulty recommendation? I played the 1st game

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

RatHat posted:

Finally getting around to playing this, opinions on Easy loot on or off? It just makes it so you don't have to physically shoot the parts off right? Also difficulty recommendation? I played the 1st game

If you really, really, really enjoy hunting down specific robots for specific parts and like the idea of counting a hunt as a bust because you accidentially killed a robot without shooting off it's cyberdick before it died then you can leave easy looting off.

Otherwise I'd say turn it on and never look back.

Also this game is harder than the first one so maybe bump the difficulty down a notch from where you were in HZD for the first few hours or so.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played the first one on very hard and I'm playing this one on medium and it feels hard enough. I don't even know if I'd call the game itself harder it's just much grindier so getting op isn't as easy. I think I'm lvl 33 and a lot of machines will still kill me in 2 hits or sometimes out of nowhere in one hit.

Unless I am using that broken rear end health boost valor surge that makes you invincible for 5 minutes straight.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
i played on hard with auto-loot off, found it a good challenge and never had problems with getting machine parts for upgrades...

..until i got access to the epic/legendary equipment, which require huge amounts of parts that can only be taken from the highest tier of robots and are very fiddly to get. after the third time in a row that i spent a vast amount of resources to kill a stormbird that didn't drop a 70% part that you need 10 of for a full upgrade, i dropped difficulty to lowest level, activated auto-loot, spent an hour killing apex variants until i had everything i needed to upgrade all my gear, and then went back to my original settings and continued with the story.

i'm usually a masochist with game difficulty, but the end-level upgrade grind is really too much here.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

RatHat posted:

i'd say on. shooting the parts off usually isn't annoyingly hard, especially once you get tearblast arrows back (roughly midgame), and imo it's a fun little extra challenge to kick off the fight. shooting them off is also a guaranteed drop once you do it, whereas iirc easy loot is only 65% or so

exceptions:
- widemaws, because they usually hide theirs, the part is tiny, and when you can see it they're using an attack that continuously fucks up your aim
- fire/frostclaws, but not really--easy loot doesn't help you avoid destroying the massive valuable part by mistake!
- clawstriders maybe. some people really hate dealing with the tail movement; i found it manageable enough to leave easy loot off

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finally, after 120 hours, beat the game; I did literally everything you could do besides get the god of war face paint/one errand. Stray thoughts:

- This game really is just Mass Effect 2 if it were an open world, huh.

- Overall really good story with some fiddly/altogether too easy ways they closed out certain overarching plot lines.

- They really, really need to work on the melee combat and make it, like….good. It was tolerable in the first game but it’s just such a mushy mess now and never feels satisfying.

- In that same vein, they really need to just come out with a stand-alone, plot-light version of Horizon that’s just a monster hunter clone if they can ever make the melee combat feel good. They’re already like 80% of the way there and they just need to add a couple of things to make it work, most notably good-feeling and fun melee combat. They have cool enemy designs with “part breaks” and part specific loot, just lean full in instead of this weird half-measure. It’s honestly kind of weird at this point that they have a bunch of things that make this pretty close to a monster hunter but just enough to not make it one and the ways in which it’s not are extremely unsatisfying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it just me or does tearblast not even work in this one? I can shoot parts off just fine with regular bows but I'll land multiple direct hits with a tearblast and it literally never knocks the part off and then on top of that they don't even really do damage. Which is nuts considering tearblast was god tier in Horizon 1.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tearblast is still absolutely loving nuts, however they changed how the game works now so most enemies, especially all the new ones, have armor on their weak points, especially later on in the game as you get further. That combined with a couple of enemy types that can gather their armor back means it often feels like tearblast is less effective; it still is, it’s just that the game has now tried to push back against just tearblasting everything and making the combat a joke.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
The weapon system and upgrade requirements are perfect actually.

I love the new system and I'm sad they'll replace it in 3 with some system where you get every ammo type on your one weapon of each type no matter what you do just for playing to appease people. Sad.

Forbidden west finally made good on the fantasy of hunting robo dino kaiju for meaningful loot that the first one never delivered, with a loot curve that made sure you just didnt rocket from 0 to everything in 20 hours and actually got to experience many meaningful levels of progression in your abilities both in game and skill wise, and forces you to not have the perfect tools for every enounter, making you decide what strengths and weaknesses you want to roll with.(until end game when you can finally put together a full kit, a pinnacle achievement)

At most I might want there to be a choice of a couple reward options at the end of quests, so you could pick the weapon that suited you or a bag of parts or greenstone if none did.

I agree with the complaint that you get staggered a little too frequently and every dino loves to face charge slightly too much. It's not hard because it's trivial to iframe out of it, but it is a little monotone.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 3, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Medullah posted:

Finally finished the Gauntlets (I suck at racing) and got the Legendary Warrior Bow and was extremely disappointed. Was hoping it would at least be an Acid/Frost bow but nope. (Reward)

It can be pretty OP imo with good coils and stamina buff accompanied with frozen enemies. Spamming spreadshot on a frozen enemy equipped with purple impact damage and criticial hit cance coils is one of fhe fastest ways ive been able to kill enemies. The close range takes some getting used to but i got sold on it after having rejected warrior bows most of the game.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Is it just me or does tearblast not even work in this one? I can shoot parts off just fine with regular bows but I'll land multiple direct hits with a tearblast and it literally never knocks the part off and then on top of that they don't even really do damage. Which is nuts considering tearblast was god tier in Horizon 1.

I’ve only had tearblast for a couple hours and it still is pretty effective. If you combine it with the part destroyer valor surge, it’s insane.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Nottherealaborn posted:

I’ve only had tearblast for a couple hours and it still is pretty effective. If you combine it with the part destroyer valor surge, it’s insane.
That valor surge is one that I slept on for too long. If you're not doing easy loot (and count me in as someone else who enjoyed the standard loot/upgrade system), it's absolutely great for farming parts.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

- widemaws, because they usually hide theirs, the part is tiny, and when you can see it they're using an attack that continuously fucks up your aim

You can actually shoot it right out of their faces in stealth if you follow their patterns. It's the way I ended up doing it. When they stop at the end of their path and turn around there's a time when they stand still a few seconds and open their mouth just wise enough you can hit it directly through the gap.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Apraxin posted:

..until i got access to the epic/legendary equipment, which require huge amounts of parts that can only be taken from the highest tier of robots and are very fiddly to get. after the third time in a row that i spent a vast amount of resources to kill a stormbird that didn't drop a 70% part that you need 10 of for a full upgrade, i dropped difficulty to lowest level, activated auto-loot, spent an hour killing apex variants until i had everything i needed to upgrade all my gear, and then went back to my original settings and continued with the story.

Oh hey, it’s exactly what I’m doing right now. Just running laps between the different big machine sites, with the occasional stop at a shelter to recraft ammo at a bench and advance time to night at a campfire in order to spawn apex variants. Even in this mode it’s pretty drat tedious and I keep accidentally blowing up the frostclaw sac webbings :argh:

I haven’t tried the part breaker valor surge as part of this yet, maybe that will help speed things up. Not using powershots since they nerfed the ammo return in the latest patch

I also cheesed the arena challenges on story mode to get the medals for the legendary gear, no regrets

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if they just let you keep the bits you salvage from the combat arena machines then the problem would practically solve itself, pretty much every big-name robot gets a turn in that place

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Oxxidation posted:

if they just let you keep the bits you salvage from the combat arena machines then the problem would practically solve itself, pretty much every big-name robot gets a turn in that place

It took me way more rounds than I care to admit to realize you didn't keep them. Hurrying to loot before the round ended...

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Btw, what are your favorite surges? Have mostly been using powershots out of inertia, but gonna try around with others now that one of its perks is gone.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Falukorv posted:

Btw, what are your favorite surges? Have mostly been using powershots out of inertia, but gonna try around with others now that one of its perks is gone.
There were three of them that I mostly used throughout the game. Early game I was dying a lot, so I used the healing one. Then I moved to a stealth build, so I switched to the stealth one, which is particularly hilarious against rebels because you can just go on a murder spree. Then in the post-game I used the part destroyer one to get upgrade materials. Though I never used it, the elemental one seems like it would be fun too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The game says explosive damage destroys parts so should I avoid using it on machines I want the parts from?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Lord Hydronium posted:

There were three of them that I mostly used throughout the game. Early game I was dying a lot, so I used the healing one. Then I moved to a stealth build, so I switched to the stealth one, which is particularly hilarious against rebels because you can just go on a murder spree. Then in the post-game I used the part destroyer one to get upgrade materials. Though I never used it, the elemental one seems like it would be fun too.

yeah the stealth one im surprised i didnt try earlier, in the postgame there are less humans around to fight but still useful, even if it got nerfed (probably deservedly so). I use easyloot so partbreaker hasnt been as enticing.

RatHat posted:

The game says explosive damage destroys parts so should I avoid using it on machines I want the parts from?

For destroyable and detachable external parts yeah it is risky. internal parts like lenses and hearts arent affected. Although you can always use explosives after you successfully detach the parts you want without worry. At least with big machines you can try aiming for the sections of the body further away from the desirable part, their parts can withstand a few non-direct hits.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 4, 2022

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Finished the game and digested a bit. Had an absolute blast but it definitely suffers from middle game syndrome and the Mass Effect 2 comparisons are spot on. Liked the skills, combat improvements, and new machines. Hated strike, pits, and races. Tolerated swimming and the arena to a point. Gathering parts for upgrades got tedious, especially for the resource/ammo bags, but not terrible. I didn't feel like I needed fully upgraded everything to finish the game.

Individual quest stuff: loved getting a base and having all my buds there, lighting Las Vegas, Ted's cancerous fate, hearing the Land Gods' song, the Kulrut and subsequent awakening of the Ten, and HEPHAESTUS being unleashed vs the Specters at the end.

Villain stuff: Hated how Regalla and the Zeniths were under used - I like my villains loving around a bit more before I make them find out. Aside from Erik I didn't give a poo poo about the individual Zeniths and wonder why Tilda didn't tell Aloy about Nemesis at her mansion. poo poo, why didn't Tilda pack up her precious art for her final trip off planet? And where the gently caress was Regalla all game? I seem to remember bandits and shadow Carja patrols wandering around in ZD, I rarely saw any rebel patrols in this game. Where was her base? Why couldn't we meet up with her? What if we could have chosen to side with her? Or at least sympathize... another waste of potential.

Endgame stuff: I still think Sylens is going to end up being the true villain of the story. I'm guessing another Mass Effect style ending where Nemesis arrives but Vast Silver can override it - but Sylens has taken control of VS and wants to use it to bend Nemesis to his will like he did with Hades. Maybe they finally let us give Aloy a choice - side with Sylens and control the swarm, kill Sylens and use VS to banish all AIs (including Gaia?) or use Cyan to merge the AIs into the true singularity and everyone lives happily ever after (but only if Aloy did a certain number of hunting lodges, spared Regalla, and danced the Macarena for the Quen board of overseers)

One thing I noticed during the end credits regarding a probable DLC location: during the sunwing grand tour, the camera is always behind Aloy EXCEPT it pans to the side as Aloy is passing Hoover Dam...

Semi-Protato fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 4, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Falukorv posted:

The healing one makes you basically invincible for about 5 straight minutes when upgraded. It's so op I just use it when I want to take anything out without any risk of dying. It's basically the armor you get at the end of the first game that they scrambled to nerf. Possibly better lol. I don't know if I'd actually recommend it though it pretty much trivializes everything.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 4, 2022

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does swimming get better? It feels really janky

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

RatHat posted:

Does swimming get better? It feels really janky

There is a mid-game quest that resolves one issue with swimming having to hold your breath. After the mission you can swim indefinitely. Other than that it remains unchanged.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Falukorv posted:

I honestly didn't use any surges before after i had finished the story.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like how the translator had some fun with some of the translations. Ravager for example is translated as watch wolf and scrapper is carrion eater.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I am just screwing around fully upgrading legendary poo poo and doing scrapper missions and finding random errands I skipped. I am a little too good at killing Fireclaws and Frostclaws without rupturing their sacs.

End credits question: Why does the end credits mention a thank you to Kojima Productions? for putting Horizon holograms in its game? Was there any real collaborative work between GG and Kojipro?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I know Death Standing was made in Guerilla's engine. Maybe Kojima's team helped improve it?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Falukorv posted:

I used cloaking and nothing else through the entire game.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I know Death Standing was made in Guerilla's engine. Maybe Kojima's team helped improve it?

This. Death Stranding uses an improved (from Zero Dawn) version of the Decima game engine. Kojima Productions and Guerilla Games worked together during Death Stranding's development to improve the engine and tools. Hence why Death Stranding had better performance on Windows compared to Zero Dawn. I think the facial capture tech was also improved by Kojima's team.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Geez there are a lot of weapon types in this game. You get 5 in the first area alone.

Is there anyway to change the ammo types on a weapon or are you stuck with what it comes with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes when you upgrade a weapon it unlocks another ammo type, outside of that nope.