Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

I thought only the.... red? Green? Ones hated men? They were by colors, I recall that.

Part of why I did fall off the wagon was that I could see where it was going, the male half of magic was sick, but more powerful.

Don't divide your magic on gender lines, that's dumb. I don't even know what a trans person would be able to do in such a world. A nonbinary individual might just be a god.

The Red super hated men and was the group that liked to hunt them down. I was making a glib joke about how that's how they were perceived in the world basically (and probably meant to be perceived out of universe) because it was a group of only women who had great power. Robert Jordan got a little weird about this sort of thing. He loved his gender-separation to the point that it very much overwhelmed his supposed message that men and women should actually talk to each other and stop being sexist.

Like both genders had huge caricatures and it'd seem like something for Robert Jordan to easily knock down to score Morality Points but often he'd actually just having them act like the other side dismissively claims they act like. This generally painted the women in a worse light pretty much all the time since they also blatantly had all the negative traits that they accused men of having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
everyone in the wheel of time books under the age of 40 is an enormous dumbass, and everyone over 40 is cool and awesome and never wrong, regardless of gender

im pretty sure this holds up, even among the villains

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

everyone in the wheel of time books under the age of 40 is an enormous dumbass, and everyone over 40 is cool and awesome and never wrong, regardless of gender

im pretty sure this holds up, even among the villains

It doesn't help that it feels like there was a lot of retconning of ages as the books went on. Like I wonder if a lot more time was suppose in the series, rather than everything happening in less than a year. Like the prophecy that was in the... first book perhaps? It's been a while... of Rand getting a harem of hot women and them all having his babies probably seemed fine when it was going to happen years later, even if Rand at the time was presented as being a dumb young kid, but something had to be changed when Jordan realized there wasn't going to be a time skip. Since none of the main characters read like they are in their early to late twenties in the books.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When I found out Robert Jordan was a big Conan guy, he wrote Conan novels before WoT and authored one of the major chronologies of Conan stories, it made a lot of sense to me. A lot of his writing and culture stuff is like a non-racist, non-incel version of Howard's.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kchama posted:

It doesn't help that it feels like there was a lot of retconning of ages as the books went on. Like I wonder if a lot more time was suppose in the series, rather than everything happening in less than a year. Like the prophecy that was in the... first book perhaps? It's been a while... of Rand getting a harem of hot women and them all having his babies probably seemed fine when it was going to happen years later, even if Rand at the time was presented as being a dumb young kid, but something had to be changed when Jordan realized there wasn't going to be a time skip. Since none of the main characters read like they are in their early to late twenties in the books.

oh for sure. like you can tell that the original plan was somehow that Rand would be like 50 years old at the end

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BattleMaster posted:

There's a genre in Japan called "Replays" which are transcripts of game sessions. They include out of character discussion, table talk, mechanical discussion, as well as the actual in-character stuff and GM narration. I've never read one but I can imagine those being interesting, sort of like the online streaming "Actual Play" genre but at a lower tech level.

LitRPG seems utterly pointless because at best it's a Replay/Actual Play with most of the actually interesting and entertaining stuff stripped, and isn't even based on an actual game that people have played.

gently caress that sounds horrible

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ChubbyChecker posted:

gently caress that sounds horrible

Which part? Replays, LitRPG, or both? Because I can at least sort of see the appeal of replays, since you can live vicariously through them, but LitRPG is just an entire genre of authors not understanding what is meant by fiction needing to consistently follow its own rules.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kchama posted:

It wasn't a straight copy but it was still a very transparent and shameless ripoff.

Also the 'coming of age' aspect is pretty silly when you learn that Rand's twenty years old, despite the first book being written like he was 12.

he was a late teenager. i meant the coming of age story like at the start he was an idiot teen, but later he started to face his responsibilities. the tolkien ripoff stuff was mainly in the first book, and the author said that it was done on purpose so that the readers would feel more familiar. later books weren't tolkieny

DicktheCat posted:

Part of why I did fall off the wagon was that I could see where it was going, the male half of magic was sick, but more powerful.

Don't divide your magic on gender lines, that's dumb. I don't even know what a trans person would be able to do in such a world. A nonbinary individual might just be a god.

the only character that was something like non binary was a man whose soul satan put in a woman's body

precision posted:

oh for sure. like you can tell that the original plan was somehow that Rand would be like 50 years old at the end

the original main protagonist was the dad who was a war vet just like jimbo the author

the protagonist was also split partly to the other two main young guys. the author also made a gibberish word in his made up language to describe them which meant something like 'protagonist'

main women characters were added for marketing reasons

jimbo was also a freemason and the books had a freemason fantasy race

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 31, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

he was a late teenager. i meant the coming of age story like at the start he was an idiot teen, but later he started to face his responsibilities. the tolkien ripoff stuff was mainly in the first book, and the author said that it was done on purpose so that the readers would feel more familiar. later books weren't tolkieny

The later books specify he was 20 years old in the first book. The boys are 20, Egwene is 18, and Nynaeve is 25. The entire series takes place over 998 to 1000. Frodo, Merry, and Pippin are born in 978. Excuse me, Rand, Matt, and Perry. Which puts him in the awkward spot of being a bit too old for a coming of age story but also acting way too young for his age.

Also yes, I specifically said that it was the first book was a shameless Tolkien ripoff, cuz it was, and it being explicitly on purpose is part of the shamelessness.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 1, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't remember the actual frequency, but the books are definitely proponents of wife spanking a la old timey western movies. There was also a bunch of frat-boy hazing style stuff involved in the ceremonies and punishments of the worlds various magical societies.

I mean to be fair, lots of real-world mystery cults had frat-boy style hazing.
The rest... yeah.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

what was the other?
A pulp sci-fi formerly-two-volumes-now-one-900-page-monster probably written in the late 70's or early 80's by some author I can't remember. The whole thing is set a couple of centuries in the future. In book 1, the protagonists gradually learn that a large number of Nazi scientists and politicians escaped from Germany at the end of WWII and launched into space, and established a colony somewhere. I can't remember exactly where, but among Jupiter's moons is the leading contender in my memory. In book 2, the descendants of said space-Nazis return to Earth and try to invade and Take Over The World! The Space-Nazi strategy is basically a Deathstar, but instead of detonating Alderaan they're going to land the fucker in the Atlantic ocean and unleash many, many Stormtroopers. You know, as is the obvious strategy in these kinds of things.

It was schlocky as hell and I needed an especially large crane to suspend my disbelief about the whole drat thing. But it was also written very well (to my 19-year-old eyes) and impressively fast-paced. The Deathstar turning towards re-entry was a genuinely surprising moment, and throughout the whole book there were plenty of car chases, aerial dogfights, sneaky spy/saboteur scenes, and (this is most important) lots and lots of sex. I wish I could remember the author, or the title, or anything else about the book.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Kchama posted:

When I first read your post, I interpreted “ages” as the cycles of ages in the wheel timeline. Which reminds me of my initial thoughts of the series when I was on book 2 or 3.

I thought the series was going to span much more time, possibly multiple ages. And because everyone is always talking about ages repeating, the “Final Battle” actually happens every full cycle. In the prior age, the male source is always tainted, the next age it is always cleansed, and everyone thinks they beat the game. But ages repeat and it cycles again.

I thought this was a cool concept, with the heroes thinking they’ve saved the world only to realize that it’ll all just happen again. But then, no… the last battle IS actually the last battle.

And then I got exhausted at all of the braid tugging and bottom spanking and finished the series under the sunk cost fallacy.

edit: spelling

Dremcon fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 1, 2022

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Dremcon posted:

When I first read your post, I interpreted “ages” as the cycles of ages in the wheel timeline. Which reminds me of my initial thoughts of the series when I was on book 2 or 3.

I thought the series was going to span much more time, possibly multiple ages. And because everyone is always talking about ages repeating, the “Final Battle” actually happens every full cycle. In the prior age, the male source is always tainted, the next age it is always cleansed, and everything thinks they beat the game. But ages repeat and it cycles again.

I thought this was a cool concept, with the heroes thinking they’ve saved the world only to realize that it’ll all just happen again. But then, no… the last battle IS actually the last battle.

And then I got exhausted at all of the braid tugging and bottom spanking and finished the series under the sink cost fallacy.

TBF the first few books say that explicitly, and uh spoilers for a 20+ year old book I guess IIRC in the Great Hunt when Randy uses Type #2 precursor teleportation and they spend months wandering alternate lives

IIRC that sort of went out the window after The Dragon Reborn; something happened (that I don't remember) which signaled that This Time was the real Last Time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Vampire Panties posted:

TBF the first few books say that explicitly, and uh spoilers for a 20+ year old book I guess IIRC in the Great Hunt when Randy uses Type #2 precursor teleportation and they spend months wandering alternate lives

IIRC that sort of went out the window after The Dragon Reborn; something happened (that I don't remember) which signaled that This Time was the real Last Time.

No, the Final Battle happens every time and it resets the cycle. This cycle is no exception.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'd argue it doesn't belong in this kind of novel, but writers keep writing these scenes and I suppose the bottom spanking shouldn't really be a surprise

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
after all, there wouldn't be a top spanking

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Someone brought up the Shannara series and even as a kid a bunch of those books felt like there were chunks that were just random battles from an RPG. Like, they're walking through a ruin and bam! A cyborg-cat pops out! And Allanon kills it with magic. Then at the next ruin, a different monster pops out, and Allanon kills it.

.random
May 7, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

Clearly not reading much gay fantasy, are we?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Someone brought up the Shannara series and even as a kid a bunch of those books felt like there were chunks that were just random battles from an RPG. Like, they're walking through a ruin and bam! A cyborg-cat pops out! And Allanon kills it with magic. Then at the next ruin, a different monster pops out, and Allanon kills it.

Brooks does have an inordinate fondness for enormous cyborg-centipedes.

tbf it's an under-explored niche in fantasy, but he goes back to that specific well like six times

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Edit: Wrong thread.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ExecuDork posted:

A pulp sci-fi formerly-two-volumes-now-one-900-page-monster probably written in the late 70's or early 80's by some author I can't remember. The whole thing is set a couple of centuries in the future. In book 1, the protagonists gradually learn that a large number of Nazi scientists and politicians escaped from Germany at the end of WWII and launched into space, and established a colony somewhere. I can't remember exactly where, but among Jupiter's moons is the leading contender in my memory. In book 2, the descendants of said space-Nazis return to Earth and try to invade and Take Over The World! The Space-Nazi strategy is basically a Deathstar, but instead of detonating Alderaan they're going to land the fucker in the Atlantic ocean and unleash many, many Stormtroopers. You know, as is the obvious strategy in these kinds of things.

It was schlocky as hell and I needed an especially large crane to suspend my disbelief about the whole drat thing. But it was also written very well (to my 19-year-old eyes) and impressively fast-paced. The Deathstar turning towards re-entry was a genuinely surprising moment, and throughout the whole book there were plenty of car chases, aerial dogfights, sneaky spy/saboteur scenes, and (this is most important) lots and lots of sex. I wish I could remember the author, or the title, or anything else about the book.

Oooh, this sounds familiar. Except the way I remember it, it wasn't Earth but some colony planet (mainly colonized by Finnish people?) and I think the Space Nazis weren't OG Nazis but some kind of neo-Nazi revival movement.

I kind of want to say early Kevin J Anderson, but that could be wrong and he's shat out so many books it's hard to find a complete list even on the Internet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i like how wheel of time has at least three Gandalfs, and one of them is "what if Gandalf was sassy"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Gandalf was sassy.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

super sweet best pal posted:

Gandalf was sassy.

that was like his most defining feature

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Empty Sandwich posted:

There absolutely is top spanking, if you're a power bottom and your top is that kind of submissive!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

When Robert Jordan was still writing we were in danger of reaching Peak Spanking, when the number of pages spent dealing with the character consequences of spankings became greater than the number of pages between incidents of spanking.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ah yes the bottom invertion

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I remember reading several Thieves' World anthologies back in the '80s. The ones I recall all involved a pretty generic fantasy city that was Fantasy-Beirut at the height of the civil war. And an ongoing joke that you could tell the mercenaries from everyone else because they were the ones sitting with their backs to the wall. Every time someone walked into a bar, this was the first comment.

The series I knew ended in '89 but got restarted in 2002. Did it actually change with the real world times?

Because now I'm wondering what fantasy stories we're going to get after the war in Ukraine. Lots of old farmers stealing dragon eggs in their carts and old witches destroying entire fantasy armies with curses on their supply lines.

Come to think of it. that sounds like a lot of the Dragonlance short stories. Ahead of their time huh.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Atopian posted:

When Robert Jordan was still writing we were in danger of reaching Peak Spanking, when the number of pages spent dealing with the character consequences of spankings became greater than the number of pages between incidents of spanking.

when he found out that his disease was terminal he absolutely increased spankings in the books

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

when he found out that his disease was terminal he absolutely increased spankings in the books

A man panics when his time becomes more precious.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ChubbyChecker posted:

As I said before, he made sure that spanking scenes were written and waiting for Sanderson.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The super-Mormon Sanderson doesn't really do sex in his books, right?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Deptfordx posted:

The super-Mormon Sanderson doesn't really do sex in his books, right?

Generally not, no.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
He kinda implies it a few times but anything vaguely sexual just kinda gets the fade to black treatment. His characters are definitely boning it just doesn't come up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i saw some youtube commercial that was just brandon sanderson talking, and you know, i gave the man time, but after 2 literal minutes he still hadn't got to the fuckin point so i clicked skip

he just kept saying "i wrote a SECRET book" then "i wrote ANOTHER secret book" and again but he didn't give ANY indication of why i should give a gently caress or what they concerned or ANYTHING lmao

it was a very bad commercial. if i give you 2 minutes you should be giving me some info

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
They called the solemn knights the Knights of Solamnia.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I started reading Imajica. I’m two chapters in and there’s a shitload of footnotes that are utterly loving bizarre, so I have a feeling it’s going to go loving nuts asap.

Atopian posted:

Imajica is... quite a thing.
I read it, was entertained, but plenty of wtf and questionable content.
Still, if you want something different, there it is.

Oh I'm so glad someone else has read this. Its such an oddity, sort of early take on urban fantasy plus combined with some weird sex stuff (I know they go hand in hand now but this seems like an early example?). Then portals into a non traditional fantasy world. Heavy on the FEMALE SPIRIT VS MALE SPIRIT stuff but with what is sort of a intersex character to mediate it.

Also a female character who always makes the wrong decision at any possible moment, even when it directly contradicts her earlier actions and views.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Oh I'm so glad someone else has read this. Its such an oddity, sort of early take on urban fantasy plus combined with some weird sex stuff (I know they go hand in hand now but this seems like an early example?). Then portals into a non traditional fantasy world. Heavy on the FEMALE SPIRIT VS MALE SPIRIT stuff but with what is sort of a intersex character to mediate it.

Also a female character who always makes the wrong decision at any possible moment, even when it directly contradicts her earlier actions and views.

Reading about the author can be more entertaining than some books.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Yeah I think he thinks that if he has the intersex character say to the male protag who is literally the second coming of Jesus things like “you are right, bitches be crazy” then it’s an insightful reflection on the duality of gender instead of just the author being sexist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Yeah I think he thinks that if he has the intersex character say to the male protag who is literally the second coming of Jesus things like “you are right, bitches be crazy” then it’s an insightful reflection on the duality of gender instead of just the author being sexist.

For a second I thought this was still about Wheel of Time (because the spoiled thing is... correct to WoT too) and was like "Hold on Robert Jordan wouldn't allow for an intersex character."