Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, I'm not sure many breast cancer charities would want to work with the company known partly for guys stealing and drinking the breast milk of their coworkers from the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
launch overwatch was fun

i miss it...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Original beta Mei was incredible.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Minera posted:

launch overwatch was fun

i miss it...

Launch WoW and launch Overwatch are probably my two best gaming memories. So much fun.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Minera posted:

launch overwatch was fun

i miss it...
It's still amazing to me how quickly they "balanced" it into the loving ground, lol.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I enjoyed Overwatch through every update, even if certain character changes were not enjoyable.

The queue times just absolutely killed the game for me and my group of friends. Playing as a group where we weren't choosing ONLY dps did not make queue times go down either. It's one thing if I'm queuing solo and just wanting to have an afternoon of Junkrat shennagians. But when queue times are like 10+ minutes at a time even when me and my friends grouped up, that eventually just killed my group's interest. Especially because the game stopped putting us in a new round against the same team right away like it used to. We'd get thrown back to the menu every single time so the wait times between matches were always 5-10 minutes. It wasn't like that when the game first came out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ah yes, the decision to completely alienate the majority of their playerbase was an interesting one.

"People want to play dps".

Yeah, and if you take that away you'll just have everyone leave. Maybe work on making tanks fun, mate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just give everyone guns and some sort of utility which defines their role.

Side eyes VALORANT

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Side eyes VALORANT

Honestly, if it had fun movement, projectile weapons, run and gun weapon accuracy, and similar ttk somewhere between TF2 and OW I’d be interested.

I’m one of those weirdos that things OW has too much shields and too much healing though, so I might be off in my assessment of “fun.”

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoyed OW because it was a shooter that let me play genuine support roles which was relatively rare at the time. Even now I'm only really interested in shooters if I can do more supporty stuff.

Then again I was always the person in Tribes 2 who ran around repairing poo poo.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Side eyes VALORANT

If I want a game where 99% of the gameplay is clicking heads and then we pretend like having a slightly different grenade makes you a “tank” I can play any of the 300 other FPSes released this year.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
just rerelease launch OW but with no ults. i'll take my check now.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

megane posted:

If I want a game where 99% of the gameplay is clicking heads and then we pretend like having a slightly different grenade makes you a “tank” I can play any of the 300 other FPSes released this year.

Yeah I think the people who are really into competitive shooters (and the pro league poo poo) are a really vocal minority so them leaning into it even more for OW2 is what killed a lot of the hype for me. People don't give a poo poo about game balance or metagame strategies or anything like that, they like that it's a fairly casual shooter with a lot of colorful characters and well made promotional cinematics. And now we're approaching 3 years with none of those things being made because they're doubling down on the competitive crowd (and also stealing breastmilk).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Honestly, if it had fun movement, projectile weapons, run and gun weapon accuracy, and similar ttk somewhere between TF2 and OW I’d be interested.

I’m one of those weirdos that things OW has too much shields and too much healing though, so I might be off in my assessment of “fun.”

No, i agree, even as a tank player. Shields and healing got ridiculous so instead of dialing those back they just frontloaded the damage and now i get to live or die based mostly on if my ana is taking a second to pick her nose or smth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ryaomon posted:

Yeah I think the people who are really into competitive shooters (and the pro league poo poo) are a really vocal minority so them leaning into it even more for OW2 is what killed a lot of the hype for me. People don't give a poo poo about game balance or metagame strategies or anything like that, they like that it's a fairly casual shooter with a lot of colorful characters and well made promotional cinematics. And now we're approaching 3 years with none of those things being made because they're doubling down on the competitive crowd (and also stealing breastmilk).

They pretty clearly aren’t doubling down on the competitive crowd - they just fired 1/6 of the players in that crowd!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Ryaomon posted:

it's legit weird to me that they have a game where people are incredibly invested in what little lore there is and they ended Overwatch 1 with "maybe Overwatch is getting back together????"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's amazing how and how slowly the throw was softballed in and how badly the writers still struck out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Then again I was always the person in Tribes 2 who ran around repairing poo poo.

I love you

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Blizzard just remake Tribes 2 but call it something else, Battlestorm, Warstone, I don’t care

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Lost Vikings 3

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ImpAtom posted:

I enjoyed OW because it was a shooter that let me play genuine support roles which was relatively rare at the time. Even now I'm only really interested in shooters if I can do more supporty stuff.

you know there's a world where the Tribes model became the dominant one for multiplayer FPSes and that world is a better one than ours

megane
Jun 20, 2008

dogstile posted:

No, i agree, even as a tank player. Shields and healing got ridiculous so instead of dialing those back they just frontloaded the damage and now i get to live or die based mostly on if my ana is taking a second to pick her nose or smth.

Yeah, the TTK in OW is weird; it's too long when you're "supported" with heals/shields/whatever and too short otherwise. A Soldier who wanders out into the open is mincemeat in a matter of frames, but if he's sitting behind Reinhardt's shield with a Mercy watching over him he's functionally invincible. You basically have to brute force your way through his entire team or dive your entire team past them to get him, hence the perennial deathball/dive meta swings.

They made it this way to make tanks and healers important, but the effect is that tanks and healers are expected to just sit in a clump all match and massive alpha strikes are the only way anyone ever dies. Lowering damage but also lowering healing and shields would make it less vital to be clumped up all the time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

hobbesmaster posted:

Side eyes VALORANT

Nah Valorant is boring as poo poo

Ryaomon posted:

This is also one of the things that was killing TF2

Pattonesque posted:

you know there's a world where the Tribes model became the dominant one for multiplayer FPSes and that world is a better one than ours

An even better one is where TF2 became truly dominant

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Nah Valorant is boring as poo poo

An even better one is where TF2 became truly dominant

I got so sick of TF2 nerfing everything, the Axtinguisher no longer critting was the point where the game was dead and buried

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

drrockso20 posted:

?????????

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TheKingofSprings posted:

I got so sick of TF2 nerfing everything, the Axtinguisher no longer critting was the point where the game was dead and buried

I do agree they went too far on that(they did the Baby Face's Blaster and Ullapool Canes way dirtier though) but I'd say the game is still very playable as long as you play on community servers

Towards the end of "Valve actually bothering to meaningfully update TF2" they made a lot of really baffling content and balance updates that were clearly meant to be catering towards the game's competitive segment with very mixed results

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

That they never made a 12v12 mode for casual players is wild. Small teams in the 6v6 range are inherently not-casual just for how much weight every player carries at all times, they never made large team modes for casual players to blend into the crowd in- this was one of the features that made TF2 so approachable for so many years and OW just never picked up on it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

dogstile posted:

Every time I reload, someone dies.

I guess if there was a second healer and not a dps Moira or a spawncamp Lucio it might help, but alas

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Reiley posted:

That they never made a 12v12 mode for casual players is wild. Small teams in the 6v6 range are inherently not-casual just for how much weight every player carries at all times, they never made large team modes for casual players to blend into the crowd in- this was one of the features that made TF2 so approachable for so many years and OW just never picked up on it.

it's incredible that they never added any kind of 'gently caress around and have fun' mode beyond quickplay at literally any point and doubly so that they are releasing ow2 soon without it when it is probably the single biggest thing that the game actually needs to stay relevant among anything other than the hyper competitive crowd. A crowd which doesn't really exist anymore. The arcade could've been a glimmer of hope, but mystery heroes is innately flawed because eventually one team will get a steamroll comp and other stuff like mayhem or the event modes just... were too shallow to be particularly replayable and the fun part of the game is essentially the base game---when everything comes together just right.

The other huge question is what they will actually do differently to deal with toxicity, if anything. Trying to fully automate it categorically failed and if anything just made it more abusable. They'd never do it, but community servers really is the one way people can get a moderated experience without the company having to spend a penny on human moderation. Failing that, they absolutely have to find some way to eject the toxic/griefers/throwers from the community or they're just going to go down the exact same path that they did previously.

Lowkey also very curious if they're going to keep balancing the game in heavy handed infrequent blizzard-driven meta changing patches. Also got a big question about whether their reworks are coming out of some coherent vision for the game or just some weird loony toons zany poo poo where they just can't figure out how to balance and rework heroes that innately don't fit into the concept. We'll have to see in the beta how that turns out.

Also my dream for OW would be that they add a mild inertia system to movement. There's a reason why no FPS games do zero-intertia movement and it's wild that OW still has it. My other dream is that bobby kotick finally gets fired and most of the board replaced

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's incredible that they never added any kind of 'gently caress around and have fun' mode beyond quickplay at literally any point

What's the difference between what you're describing and Quickplay Classic?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What's the difference between what you're describing and Quickplay Classic?

The big one is that it's pvp as opposed to pve.

Beyond that, it's effectively the same game as comp and I think they'd legitimately have an easier time making a light hearted game mode if it didn't so closely resemble competitive.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The big one is that it's pvp as opposed to pve.

yeah they made this game already it was called world of warcraft and it sucks rear end

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
The custom games in OW are kinda fun in a janky way reminiscent of old Blizzard UMS mode (bw and war3). When I duo queue with my DPS buddy as a tank we spend 10 minutes loving around and jumping from different game to game.

Happy to hear a ping system is finally coming. Playing OW is basically like trying to play a moba but in first person view and without a minimap. Very limited information despite the game essentially being about resource management and positioning.

Also that new white reinhardt skin is just fat genji

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I do agree they went too far on that(they did the Baby Face's Blaster and Ullapool Canes way dirtier though) but I'd say the game is still very playable as long as you play on community servers

Towards the end of "Valve actually bothering to meaningfully update TF2" they made a lot of really baffling content and balance updates that were clearly meant to be catering towards the game's competitive segment with very mixed results

So you’re made they changed some meme weapons that barely anyone used but blame another small fragment of the player base in doing so. TF2 did a lot a weird balance stuff from the first set of class updates (200 HP pyros for example) but overall the gameplay is still pretty much the same (minus the bots and cheaters).

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Ping system in practice may not work well in OW. I don’t have time to pull up a menu, pick the appropriate ping and target an away area. Most of the time the event I need to communicate is over in a few seconds. Only ones are the obvious that players should see like hey there is a widow straight ahead up top sniping. Or kill that turret that keeps plinking away at you.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

calcio posted:

Ping system in practice may not work well in OW. I don’t have time to pull up a menu, pick the appropriate ping and target an away area. Most of the time the event I need to communicate is over in a few seconds. Only ones are the obvious that players should see like hey there is a widow straight ahead up top sniping. Or kill that turret that keeps plinking away at you.

They have shown a ping menu that you can bring up, but it's also going to have a one-click context-sensitive ping:

"With the press of the button, you will activate a contextual ping depending on what you’re aiming at within your line of sight. For example, if you’re playing Tracer and ping an enemy Reaper, your teammates will hear Tracer call out that Reaper’s location."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

calcio posted:

ping systems are honestly incredible and they do a huge amount to close the gap between players with and without microphones and the craziest thing is that it took 3 years to implement a ping system for a game that has had huge problems with players not communicating for a variety of reason, many of which were entirely valid

Minera posted:

yeah they made this game already it was called world of warcraft and it sucks rear end

lol don't get me wrong, i'm personally deeply ambivalent about whether or not they can actually pull this together into something good, but the whole 'we should add a PVE thing, that's what the game needs!' was their own drat idea. idk if it's the right idea or not because personally I think that the time to have had a pve mode in the game was, like, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ping systems are honestly incredible and they do a huge amount to close the gap between players with and without microphones and the craziest thing is that it took 3 years to implement a ping system for a game that has had huge problems with players not communicating for a variety of reason, many of which were entirely valid

lol don't get me wrong, i'm personally deeply ambivalent about whether or not they can actually pull this together into something good, but the whole 'we should add a PVE thing, that's what the game needs!' was their own drat idea. idk if it's the right idea or not because personally I think that the time to have had a pve mode in the game was, like, 2017

Apex was released over 3 years ago and many first reactions to that game were “holy poo poo can we get this ping system in overwatch”

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Okay, a contextual ping may work with a hot key and hopefully will help avoid some toxicity. But there are still idiots that refuse to swap to counter or are getting countered hard which I need an idiot ping for.. My favorites are the ones that swap with a couple minutes left after spending the whole match eating dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malah
May 18, 2015

if I 1v1 their mercy in spawn with coal then I'm winning and it sounds like you should just play better :biglips: