Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Things aren't that boh gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I chewed those white foam cups a lot as a kid

I have a memory of peeling paint chips off my bedroom wall when I was like 3. l also used to put everything in my mouth, including british sand. I assume I’m suffering lifelong consequences of both

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I was known around the neighborhood for chewing on He-Man heads in the early 80s.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
what is British sand? is that like the family cloth??

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What is the family cloth? Is that what surrounds the family jewels?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
it’s the piece of soft cloth some British families use to wipe their asses.

Use and re-use

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

vote!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

wynott dunn posted:

something something carbon capture something Iceland

https://youtu.be/gAlYfgA_jdM

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i'm glad exxon mobil has our back with this newfangled CCS tech, they're deploying it huh? phew. weird that they have comments turned off on that vid

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mola Yam posted:

found out about a new hell on earth today, thought it belonged here

what's that little white patch in the south of spain?

hm is that a city or something? it covers a huge area

oh it's all greenhouses

plastic tomato greenhouses

where "migrant workers" (slaves) work in 50C+ heat and live in plastic slums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensive_farming_in_Almer%C3%ADa

enjoy

ur

tomatoes

that’s hosed :(

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
It's incredible how quickly Sunrise got swallowed by the Dems lol

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

dang

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Mola Yam posted:

found out about a new hell on earth today, thought it belonged here

what's that little white patch in the south of spain?

hm is that a city or something? it covers a huge area

oh it's all greenhouses

plastic tomato greenhouses

where "migrant workers" (slaves) work in 50C+ heat and live in plastic slums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensive_farming_in_Almer%C3%ADa

enjoy

ur

tomatoes

yo what the gently caress

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Just a reminder that winter tomatoes from the US are probably also picked by migrant slaves especially if they were grown in florida.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/06/slavery-in-the-tomato-fields/240140/

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

silicone thrills posted:

Just a reminder that winter tomatoes from the US are probably also picked by migrant slaves especially if they were grown in florida.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/06/slavery-in-the-tomato-fields/240140/

migrant slaves and prison slaves harvest basically all food in america that a combine harvester can't handle

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

silicone thrills posted:

I befriended a 20 something dude in Florida who would cross the border from mexico every year to pick tomatoes and strawberries and then cross the border back to hang out with his family and spend all the money he made showing his impoverished loved ones a good time and helping them out with whatever they needed. I asked him if he was afraid of getting caught and he said yeah but it was totally worth it for the feeling of showing up back home flush with cash.

I think about him now and again and hope he doing well.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

silicone thrills posted:

in canada they're all grown in greenhouses in leamington, ontario

there are so many foreign workers brought in from mexico that there's actually a mexican consulate in this rural ontario town

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

yo what the gently caress

april fools

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Food is grown and harvested in brutal conditions because it's the most profitable, and the land is owned by megacorps who lobby to make sure they don't have to care about the rights of their below-minimum-wage workers

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm enjoying The Ends of The World, about the mass extinctions of the past

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The full terrifying weight of this statement will become lmao after the next chapter

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

IAMKOREA posted:

The full terrifying weight of this statement will become lmao after the next chapter

now thats a solid thread title

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

silicone thrills posted:

i'm not saying it's any better but I do notice labels in the grocery store and I don't think I've ever seen out of season produce that didn't come from mexico or south america in my life

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

IAMKOREA posted:

:hmmyes:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's a really good book and I greatly enjoyed it. It was probably my hardest original crack ping

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

IAMKOREA posted:

Koirhor posted:

now thats a solid thread title

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

mediaphage posted:

in canada they're all grown in greenhouses in leamington, ontario

there are so many foreign workers brought in from mexico that there's actually a mexican consulate in this rural ontario town

The Mexican Consulate ensures the safety and fair compensation of the Mexican workers right?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

The Wisest Moron posted:

The Mexican Consulate ensures the safety and fair compensation of the Mexican workers right?

*padme stare* right? :catstare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Probably about as concerned as native countries are about the laborers in Almeria: https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2019/10/16/consumers-are-not-aware-we-are-slaves-inside-the-greenhouses

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

The Wisest Moron posted:

If by "ensures the safety" etc. you mean "is totally fine with migrant workers being stuffed into tiny bunkhouses where they inevitably catch covid and are threatened with being sent back to Mexico if they complain," then yes.

The beekeeping industry in Canada is all about migrant slaves too. Minimum wage for hefting 80 lb honey supers and getting stung all day long.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
hmmmm, if I encountered capitalism I would just choose not to participate

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Karach posted:

The beekeeping industry in Canada is all about migrant slaves too. Minimum wage for hefting 80 lb honey supers and getting stung all day long.

I bet they get attacked by the bees, too

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Rachel Carson spinning with enough force to burrow to the center of the dying earth https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/60-years-after-silent-spring-warned-us-birds-and-humanity-are-still-in-trouble/

quote:

60 Years after Silent Spring Warned Us, Birds—and Humanity—Are Still in Trouble
Data show alarming declines in wildlife but also point to ways to save it

Rachel Carson’s classic best seller about ecological threats, Silent Spring, started a wave of American environmentalism. It played a direct role in the 1972 decision by the newly formed U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to ban use of the pesticide DDT. Ernest Gruening, one of the first two U.S. senators from Alaska, said Carson’s writings had “altered the course of history.” It will be 60 years ago this June that the public was introduced to Carson’s arguments, as her book chapters were serialized in the New Yorker magazine. The coming anniversary makes this a good time to consider whether the book achieved one of her major goals: protecting wildlife and, in particular, birds.

Carson took a complex technical subject—the damaging effects of persistent pesticides—and expressed it in one simple, poetic image: a spring in which no birds sang. She asked us to imagine what it would be like to awaken in the morning to a world without these songs. She wrote with grace, and she made us feel the loss. But how well have we acted on Carson’s warnings?

With some exceptions, we haven’t been very successful, and neither have birds. In 2019 a major study, led by Cornell University ornithologist Kenneth V. Rosenberg, showed that 29 percent of North American birds have vanished since 1970. The study was notable because of its sweep: it integrated data across scores of species and the different biomes birds live in, and it used a variety of approaches to validate its counts; an article published by the Audubon Society called the result “a sobering picture” of widespread avian decline. Grasslands were the hardest hit, with a documented loss of more than 700 million breeding individuals—a decline of more than 50 percent. But major declines occurred in every biome save one and in nearly every species. The net toll amounted to nearly three billion individual birds, a figure that sparked a campaign with tips on what people can do to save them. (Top two: add decals to windows and keep cats inside.)

Given these data, it is tempting to conclude that despite the brilliance of her writing, Carson did not succeed in protecting birds. Moreover, the avian decline is part of a tremendous loss of global biodiversity driven by human activity. According to the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), more than 40 percent of amphibian species, almost 33 percent of reef-forming corals and more than a third of all marine mammals are threatened. In all, biologists estimate that more than a million species are at risk. This also endangers human well-being, and the group notes that “we are eroding the very foundations of our economies, livelihoods, food security, health and quality of life worldwide.”

Still, the 2019 bird study, despite its grim results, also suggests that protecting biodiversity (and thereby ourselves) is not a lost cause. One important exception in the otherwise bleak picture its scientists painted is wetlands (and the waterfowl that inhabit them). There bird abundance increased 13 percent. What distinguishes wetlands from other ecological areas? One answer is that wetlands have been especially shielded from excessive industrial activity for a long time. The areas have been under a host of legal protections on the federal, state and tribal level. Some of these laws, such as Massachusetts’s powerful Wetlands Protection Act, prioritized wetlands for their diverse ecological value. Others safeguarded such areas because they are important to navigation and commerce, fisheries, flood control and water supplies. The 1899 Rivers and Harbors Appropriation Act, for instance, secured wetlands as parts of navigable waterways.

The other encouraging exception in the bird study was raptors, a group that includes the majestic bald eagle. Raptor numbers have increased by 15 million individuals. Bald eagles were on the verge of extinction at the time Carson wrote, but they recovered in large part as a result of the ban on DDT. A news story published by the Audubon Society notes that “the numbers show that taking steps like wildlife management, habitat restoration and political action can be effective to save species.” Scientists have documented the current threat to biodiversity. Their data also show that if we act on this information, we can change the outcome.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1510585158935752707
That seems like a lot

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/03/briefing/climate-optimism-ukraine-week-ahead.html

Against despair
Among the headline-grabbing wildfires, droughts and floods, it is easy to feel disheartened about climate change.

I felt this myself when a United Nations panel released the latest major report on global warming. It said that humanity was running out of time to avert some of the worst effects of a warming planet. Another report is coming tomorrow. So I called experts to find out whether my sense of doom was warranted.

To my relief, they pushed back against the notion of despair. The world, they argued, has made real progress on climate change and still has time to act. They said that any declaration of inevitable doom would be a barrier to action, alongside the denialism that Republican lawmakers have historically used to stall climate legislation. Such pushback is part of a budding movement: Activists who challenge climate dread recently took off on TikTok, my colleague Cara Buckley reported.

“Fear is useful to wake us up and make us pay attention,” Katharine Hayhoe, a climate scientist at Texas Tech University, told me. “But if we don’t know what to do, it paralyzes us.”

In a climate change-focused survey of young people in 10 countries last year, 75 percent of respondents said the future was frightening. Some people now use therapy to calm their climate anxieties. Some have drastically changed their lives out of fear of a warming planet — even deciding not to have kids.

Climate change of course presents a huge challenge, threatening the world with more of the extreme weather we have seen over the past few years. And the situation is urgent: To meet President Biden’s climate goals, experts argue, Congress must pass the climate provisions of the Build Back Better Act this year.

But rather than seeing the climate challenge as overwhelming or hopeless, experts said, we should treat it as a call to action.

Reasons for hope
The world has made genuine progress in slowing climate change in recent years. In much of the world, solar and wind power are now cheaper than coal and gas. The cost of batteries has plummeted over the past few decades, making electric vehicles much more accessible. Governments and businesses are pouring hundreds of billions of dollars into clean energy.

Before 2015, the world was expected to warm by about four degrees Celsius by 2100. Today, the world is on track for three degrees Celsius. And if the world’s leaders meet their current commitments, the planet would warm by around two degrees Celsius.

That is not enough to declare victory. The standard goal world leaders have embraced to avoid the worst consequences of climate change is to keep warming below 1.5 degrees Celsius by 2100. Unfortunately, that does look increasingly unreachable, experts said.

But every drop in degrees matters. One-tenth of a degree may sound like very little, but it could save lives — by preventing more wildfires, droughts, floods and conflicts over dwindling resources.

And while the best outcome now seems doubtful, so does the worst. Scientists have long worried about runaway warming that generates out-of-control weather, leaves regions uninhabitable and wrecks ecosystems. But projections right now suggest that scenario is unlikely, said Michael Mann, a climate scientist at Pennsylvania State.

Channeling despair
Experts and advocates want to capture legitimate concerns and funnel them into action. The world’s governments and biggest businesses have set goals to reduce greenhouse emissions in the coming decades, but they will need the public’s help and support.

One model for this is road safety. Drivers can reduce their chances of crashes by driving carefully, but even the safest can be hit. The U.S. reduced car-crash deaths over several decades by passing sweeping laws and rules that required seatbelts, airbags and collapsible steering wheels; punished drunken driving; built safer roads and more — a collective approach.

The same type of path can work for climate change, experts said. Cutting individual carbon footprints is less important than systemic changes that governments and companies enact to help people live more sustainably. While individual action helps, it is no match for the impact of entire civilizations that have built their economies around burning carbon sources for energy.

The need for a sweeping solution can make the problem feel too big and individuals too small, again feeding into despair.

But experts said that individuals could still make a difference, by playing into a collective approach. You can convince friends and family to take the issue seriously, changing what politicians and policies they support. You can become involved in politics (including at the local level, where many climate policies are carried out). You can actively post about global warming on social media. You can donate money to climate causes.

The bottom line, experts repeatedly told me: Don’t give up on the future. Look for productive ways to prevent impending doom.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

That might actually be better for the ocean that it's all sinking to the bottom

Not good, obviously, and certainly not without dire consequence, but better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

[Biosphere Collapse] Look for productive ways to prevent impending doom.