Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

derra posted:

Are there going to be new tinctures in this patch? I'm guessing no, they'll come with a raid, but I'm running lowish and wanted to know if I should make some now or wait a week.

No, tinctures come with the savage raids, so X.0, X.2 and X.4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I want them to rename the tinctures and alkahests, etc. to something new.

Grade 1 Strong Juice
Grade 1 Tough Juice
Grade 1 Fast Juice
Grade 1 Smart Juice
Grade 1 Wise Juice

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

HackensackBackpack posted:

I didn't catch the livestream live, but did they say what's going to happen with wolf marks? Is there a new currency that they can be exchanged for or will they just be obsolete?

Wolf Marks will be staying, and they'll be used for everything that you can buy with them now. We don't know if they'll add more stuff like glamour, hairstyles or minions to those vendors down the line or not.

CJ posted:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think they said the crystal trophy shop will be available for the current season and then the season after and then it will be removed, similar to Moogle Tomestones. So i would expect a trickle of new rewards along with the feast armour.

That was about the Series unique rewards gotten through leveling during the patch. We don't know what else is going to be on the Trophy Crystal vendors, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Feast stuff pop up over time, like Hunter Noventa mentioned.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

well....guess we have an answer for why no ears :smith:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HackensackBackpack posted:

I want them to rename the tinctures and alkahests, etc. to something new.

Grade 1 Strong Juice
Grade 1 Tough Juice
Grade 1 Fast Juice
Grade 1 Smart Juice
Grade 1 Wise Juice

Red Raiderade
Blue Raiderade
Green Raiderade
Purple Raiderade
White Raiderade

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mix. posted:

Yeah, they said this a whole ago. Viera and Hrothgar ears effectively take up the 'helmet' slot and it makes doing things with the head in general more difficult. Hrothgar also having a different body shape just adds to that.

It sucks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I wonder why they do and Elezen ears don't?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Bruceski posted:

Elezen we’re made a lot longer ago with a lot more development time. The actual comparison would be the Au Ra who do have a couple of weird things with gear from before they existed I believe?

I also suspect that they’re not doing too much work on the existing player models and such because they’re also doing the massive gear overhaul anyway, which hopefully will include fixing the Hrothgar and Viera at the same time as updating everyone else.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bruceski posted:

I presume it's because of specific differences in ear styles that are separable from faces, like how Viera can select three different ears and adjust their sizes. The problem would be that you'd have to create hat models that accommodate all different ear styles, effectively tripling the workload for every Viera/Hrothgar helmet or hair added into the game. Maybe they get a fix in for it by 7.0, but it's just not possible to do with the current chargen system they have.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Might be a stupid question, is the ishgard restoration zone going away when the neighborhood opens? I've been neglecting my crafting

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Nah, they have no plans to end the Firmament. It's got multiple Custom Deliveries, for one, and for another, in lore they're still "restoring" the rest of Ishgard even if those particular wards are done.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mix. posted:

Could this also be the reason female Hrothgars have been absent so far?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Couldn't Viera just fold their ears down for a bit while wearing their helmets? Just stuff 'em in there. I'm sure it's fine! (Players then ask "Where is the animation of them popping back into place when the headgear is removed?")

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
<insert my rant about ushankas on basically any non-Hyur here>

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Lord_Magmar posted:

Elezen we’re made a lot longer ago with a lot more development time. The actual comparison would be the Au Ra who do have a couple of weird things with gear from before they existed I believe?

I also suspect that they’re not doing too much work on the existing player models and such because they’re also doing the massive gear overhaul anyway, which hopefully will include fixing the Hrothgar and Viera at the same time as updating everyone else.

Au Ra horns just kind of poke out of hats, which usually isn't great but can be kind of hilarious. I really need to make a Dragoon glam with a helmet with dragony bits, just to have MORE HORN POWER

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Antivehicular posted:

Au Ra horns just kind of poke out of hats, which usually isn't great but can be kind of hilarious. I really need to make a Dragoon glam with a helmet with dragony bits, just to have MORE HORN POWER

When I've tried that it just ends up a muddy mess.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah the Au Ra solution to everything is “clipping”.

Tbh I would be fine if that’s what they did to get Viera hats going. It’s not pretty but at least it allows it to happen

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Could this also be the reason female Hrothgars have been absent so far?

No, they were just doing male Viera and female Hrothgar in any spare time between other duties and probably decided to focus on the Viera first because that's what more people wanted

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If they could figure out how to make Viera ears fold down at will they'd also be able to let me hide my tail on any of the billion outfits that it clips through horribly. Unfortunately it's a item by item setting apparently, and going through all of them would be a truly herculean undertaking at this point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah the Au Ra solution to everything is “clipping”.

Tbh I would be fine if that’s what they did to get Viera hats going. It’s not pretty but at least it allows it to happen

I assume it's a different matter for Au Ra, since helmet clipping is just a matter of their horns goofily poking out the sides, whereas Viera and Hrothgar ears can't clip out because their ears are the helmet.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

There are mods that allow headgear for Viera with the ears, but they are custom modeled. I guess I would have to go and check and see if the ears are directly part of the custom model or not.

(The mod also enables Horthgar hats, but those typically hide the ears. My guess would be that since it’s custom models, the ears are just too short to really look good poking out.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The technique of cutting ear holes in hats is a closely-guarded Miqo'te secret.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

FuturePastNow posted:

The technique of cutting ear holes in hats is a closely-guarded Miqo'te secret.

a secret that has been lost since Heavenward for the most part. At some point they just stopped bothering with Miqo ears.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Miqo'te ears are actually razor-sharp and cut through the hats on their own.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ears through hats is really one of the cutest things they can do theyve gotta fix their workflow to make it practical. yoshiP is dropping the ball bring back the 1.0 guy

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Super No Vacancy posted:

bring back the 1.0 guy

:catstare:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hopeandjoy posted:

There are mods that allow headgear for Viera with the ears, but they are custom modeled. I guess I would have to go and check and see if the ears are directly part of the custom model or not.

I assume they're three separate models with the different ear variations. There's a handful of hats and hoods that have the ears poking in on the base game, so I'm assuming the models have flags that can be switched on to let the game determine which one to use when it loads in. It's really just a matter of time for SE, since tripling the number of models you have to make for every helmet you add will put even more strain on a modeling team that already has their work cut out for them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Super No Vacancy posted:

ears through hats is really one of the cutest things they can do theyve gotta fix their workflow to make it practical. yoshiP is dropping the ball bring back the 1.0 guy

They did, several times, most recently for the original version of Eureka.

Vermain posted:

I assume they're three separate models with the different ear variations. There's a handful of hats and hoods that have the ears poking in on the base game, so I'm assuming the models have flags that can be switched on to let the game determine which one to use when it loads in. It's really just a matter of time for SE, since tripling the number of models you have to make for every helmet you add will put even more strain on a modeling team that already has their work cut out for them.

As I said, I suspect that they’re also just not bothering because they’re redoing all the models anyway for the graphical update, so why do the work twice at this point instead of just bundling it into the larger scale update they’re also working on.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Trying out BIG for a bit

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Are they redoing the models for gear? I thought it was all texture updates.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ugh the vocal track in the 6.1 trailer is so good I can't wait for next tuesday

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i don't think theyre remodeling the gear no

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

New Heavensward LP is here. At long last, The Final Verse of the Dragonsong War is nearly ready to be sung.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
All this talk of ronso ears reminds me of the fact SE has long since given up on accounting for catgirl's tails and just have them clip instead of designing the outfit with a hole to accommodate it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Not so much "gave up" as "barely started". There are only a tiny number of gear pieces which actually account for tails. Accounting for ears they do a lot more.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They've actually started doing gear that doesn't even display tails. I noticed that any of the Aphorism Tomestone gear that has a cape doesn't display tails.
Actually had to glam into something else because I found it too weird.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Veotax posted:

They've actually started doing gear that doesn't even display tails. I noticed that any of the Aphorism Tomestone gear that has a cape doesn't display tails.

What the gently caress

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Veotax posted:

Yeah, because tails would clip too badly through the cape. It only feels weird because they hadn't bothered doing that for six or seven years prior.

My biggest pie in the sky QoL wish for this game remains a switch that would let me wear my tail like a belt Vegeta-style or turn it off entirely, and the state of the switch can be saved to a gearset or glam plate.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Qwertycoatl posted:

Not so much "gave up" as "barely started". There are only a tiny number of gear pieces which actually account for tails. Accounting for ears they do a lot more.

(Almost?) All of the gear that properly accounts for ears or tails is from 1.0 and is probably another example of the kind of slow work that makes putting out a functioning mmo impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

nice