Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm going to call bullshit on that little gadget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Tomfoolery posted:

They should sell smoker window units

Weber got close in the 60's but like with a grill

But plenty of people do cheapo kettle smoking!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It’s me. I put a grill in my fireplace.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

This is going to cross over to KFC log thread in coupons real quick.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They're talking about using a 'catalytic smoke eliminator'.

I don't know if they're just 100% lying through their teeth but otherwise it looks interesting

Would like more info on smoke though

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

This is going to cross over to KFC log thread in coupons real quick.

I too produce massive logs after saving money with coupons at KFC

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nosleep posted:

I'm sure this has been asked in here, but wanted to see if anyone has had experience with the Char-Griller 980? It seems to be pretty well liked and recommended more over the Masterbuilt gravity smoker, and I like the idea of using charcoal and wood chunks vs. pellets. It seems to generally have positive feedback, but there are also several comments and reviews I see that mention some subpar quality on parts (a silicone flapper in the bottom of the hopper I think) as well as the app and the wifi being crappy. It looks like these were around 4-500 last year and the price has shot up to $750. This is what I've had in mind for a while and have been reading more reviews lately as I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Anyone have good/bad experiences with this one?

So I actually just ordered one of these. Going to pick it up next weekend. I had been going back and forth on doing something simple like a Traeger, or going for a gravity fed. I had only heard of the Masterbuilt, whose QA seems questionable, then I heard about the Char-griller, which doesn't seem to be a huge improvement, but maybe a bit. Ended up deciding the higher temp and more pronounced flavor was worth a little extra hassle. Also like 1/2 the price of the Timberline, so saving that is nice.

I'm excited. Only previous smoker was a MES30 because I lived in apartments. Got a new place and I need more smoking in my life. Hopefully I roll the dice well on the QA aspect.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

So I actually just ordered one of these. Going to pick it up next weekend. I had been going back and forth on doing something simple like a Traeger, or going for a gravity fed. I had only heard of the Masterbuilt, whose QA seems questionable, then I heard about the Char-griller, which doesn't seem to be a huge improvement, but maybe a bit. Ended up deciding the higher temp and more pronounced flavor was worth a little extra hassle. Also like 1/2 the price of the Timberline, so saving that is nice.

I'm excited. Only previous smoker was a MES30 because I lived in apartments. Got a new place and I need more smoking in my life. Hopefully I roll the dice well on the QA aspect.

I actually picked one of these up 3 weeks ago. My only real complaint is the obscene amount of charcoal it goes through compared to my 18” wsm.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

Internet Explorer posted:

I actually went ahead and ordered it as well. I got the Lowe's delivery since it's apparently over 200 lbs. Should be here in a few days. I'm pumped and hope I'm not going to have to deal with any quality issues right away.

xsf421 posted:

I actually picked one of these up 3 weeks ago. My only real complaint is the obscene amount of charcoal it goes through compared to my 18” wsm.

I got some cheap charcoal to burn it in. I've always used propane so never thought much about charcoal but I guess like anything quality varies. About the only thing I see around here is regular Kingsford. I did order a bag of B&B which seems to be a good quality charcoal, expensive though ($32, 17lb bag) since I can't get it locally. I thought a full hopper would supposedly last at least 8 hours. If I do have to buy expensive charcoal and this thing goes through it fast how bad is this gonna hurt?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nosleep posted:

I actually went ahead and ordered it as well. I got the Lowe's delivery since it's apparently over 200 lbs. Should be here in a few days. I'm pumped and hope I'm not going to have to deal with any quality issues right away.

My new place is out in the sticks and they won't deliver. :(

I've confirmed that the box it comes in will fit in the car. Hopefully the wife and I can wrangle it. Guess we'll see!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if lump charcoal would work better- tends to burn hotter than the cheap Kingsford briquettes so less of it by volume might be required to keep temps up... but lump tends to be more expensive soooo might not really work for ya anyways

less ash though lol

no idea how the temperature control on that system works or if it's designed with briquettes in mind

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

nosleep posted:

I got some cheap charcoal to burn it in. I've always used propane so never thought much about charcoal but I guess like anything quality varies. About the only thing I see around here is regular Kingsford. I did order a bag of B&B which seems to be a good quality charcoal, expensive though ($32, 17lb bag) since I can't get it locally. I thought a full hopper would supposedly last at least 8 hours. If I do have to buy expensive charcoal and this thing goes through it fast how bad is this gonna hurt?

A full hopper will definitely last 8-12 hours at low temps, but that hopper is an entire 20lb bag of charcoal. Just be sure to put in only what you think you’ll need, assume anything you put in the hopper is going to burn up. I’m going to be putting some gaskets on my charcoal box to see if that helps it snuff out the firebox at the end of a cook.

I’m just spoiled from using half as much in my wsm for the same cook time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

xsf421 posted:

A full hopper will definitely last 8-12 hours at low temps, but that hopper is an entire 20lb bag of charcoal. Just be sure to put in only what you think you’ll need, assume anything you put in the hopper is going to burn up. I’m going to be putting some gaskets on my charcoal box to see if that helps it snuff out the firebox at the end of a cook.

I’m just spoiled from using half as much in my wsm for the same cook time.

How else does it compare to the wsm? I like my 18.5” with the FireBoard, but I feel like I don’t do enough long cooks to make the cleanup, etc worthwhile. Most of my cooks are chicken or maybe ribs. Brisket is too expensive for my wife and I to cook a big one and the same with pulled pork. I like a pulled pork sandwich but after that I’m good for a while.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is $1.47/lb for pork shoulder a good price? I haven't bought any for a while and I know pig hasn't gone up as much as cow but I feel like it's a really good price? Like 1.49 is the new 0.99?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

bird with big dick posted:

Is $1.47/lb for pork shoulder a good price? I haven't bought any for a while and I know pig hasn't gone up as much as cow but I feel like it's a really good price? Like 1.49 is the new 0.99?

That's about $.06 cheaper than my HEB has it for right now.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wonder if lump charcoal would work better- tends to burn hotter than the cheap Kingsford briquettes so less of it by volume might be required to keep temps up... but lump tends to be more expensive soooo might not really work for ya anyways

less ash though lol

no idea how the temperature control on that system works or if it's designed with briquettes in mind

I've smoked stuff in my weber using lump. It's fine but I think even poor briquettes work better because the irregular shapes of lump tend to not burn very evenly.

That said, plain kingsford has so much ash that it tends to bank the coals toward the end of the cook so they aren't great either. High quality hardwood lump (like the weber briquettes before they cancelled them) seem to be best IMO.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

I've smoked stuff in my weber using lump. It's fine but I think even poor briquettes work better because the irregular shapes of lump tend to not burn very evenly.

That said, plain kingsford has so much ash that it tends to bank the coals toward the end of the cook so they aren't great either. High quality hardwood lump (like the weber briquettes before they cancelled them) seem to be best IMO.

oh yeah was talking about using it in the hopper for the Char-Griller 980 people were talking about- looks like it has a fan controller and everything built in so there's no reason lump wouldn't work but not sure if it would be cheaper to run overall since Kingsford Blue Bag is usually the cheapest widely available thing anyways even if you were getting more total energy out of the lump per hopper volume

like in a WSM or kettle yeah I'm not sure- imagine you could work around the problem a little by hand-sorting the lump into more 'regular' pieces so a minion burn would go off more properly- in a kettle I usually set up a snake which kinda needs the briquettes

the 'lump briquettes' are worth looking out for vs the ones with binders and fillers and stuff- they will kinda fall apart after you're done using them even if the fuel isn't totally spent so not great for re-using fuel after you oxygen starve off a grilling bed but they're great for smoking applications

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

nwin posted:

How else does it compare to the wsm? I like my 18.5” with the FireBoard, but I feel like I don’t do enough long cooks to make the cleanup, etc worthwhile. Most of my cooks are chicken or maybe ribs. Brisket is too expensive for my wife and I to cook a big one and the same with pulled pork. I like a pulled pork sandwich but after that I’m good for a while.

I mostly got it to get away from dealing with the start chimney, and to have a bit more easily accessible cook space. I make bacon 30-40lbs at a time, and dealing with getting at the bottom rack was kind of annoying. The 980 is just super convenient to have one unit that works for both smoking and grilling, with easier setup and cleaning.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

New gasket cook

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/2567003

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Are you using any of those large unburned chunks of wood for flavoring? I’ve never had much in the way of luck with good results from those.

Also what’s the general stance on injecting your meat? I’ve been thinking about messing with that a bit.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
As far as I know many cuts of meat can benefit from it since you can get salt to penetrate deeper, but some cuts don't make sense like pork butt or ribs. I have the ability to inject meat, but only ever do it with brisket, for example.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Speaking of the 980, it’s bacon day:

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

xsf421 posted:

Speaking of the 980, it’s bacon day:

Oh man that looks awesome. Do you have a guide/recipe on your bacon? That's one thing I haven't tried yet.

Also one size question. It says the 980 is 65" wide assembled. That will just barely squeeze into the spot I have for the smoker on the patio, and the way I was planning to set it up would leave the hopper right beside a pergola post (like an inch to the spare). Does it put out a lot of heat to the point I should move it when doing a cook?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Is there a thread favorite burnt ends recipe? I know it's a real popular choice ITT, but most of the posts are just "Made burnt ends /drool" lol.

I have a brisket point thawing out that I wanna turn in to burnt ends tomorrow.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

nosleep posted:

Oh man that looks awesome. Do you have a guide/recipe on your bacon? That's one thing I haven't tried yet.

Also one size question. It says the 980 is 65" wide assembled. That will just barely squeeze into the spot I have for the smoker on the patio, and the way I was planning to set it up would leave the hopper right beside a pergola post (like an inch to the spare). Does it put out a lot of heat to the point I should move it when doing a cook?

I use this recipe: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/making-bacon-using-pork-belly/. I've used all sorts of sweeteners and flavorings, but the usual is just tender quick + brown sugar. It's getting less economical as pork belly prices start to rise (up to $3.99/lb from $2.39 3 years ago), but it's still way cheaper and better tasting than store bought bacon.

The right side of the smoker (charcoal basket) puts out quite a bit of heat. I don't have an IR thermometer, but it's definitely too hot to touch when grilling. It's on wheels and super easy to move though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gwaihir posted:

Is there a thread favorite burnt ends recipe? I know it's a real popular choice ITT, but most of the posts are just "Made burnt ends /drool" lol.

I'm following Meathead Goldwyns tomorrow:

https://amazingribs.com/brisket-burnt-ends/

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Finally caved and ordered Meathead’s book. Gonna do a rack of ribs tomorrow. Tis the season.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Brrrrrisketttt

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Finally caved and ordered Meathead’s book. Gonna do a rack of ribs tomorrow. Tis the season.

Tell me how it is. I want to buy it, but only if it's pretty much an offline version of Amazing Ribs

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there a decent “moron’s guide” to brisket? I’ve done butts a plenty and ribs a few times, but never brisket.

E- Are the Meat Chuch guys pretty decent sources?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

um excuse me posted:

Tell me how it is. I want to buy it, but only if it's pretty much an offline version of Amazing Ribs
It's good. It's $21ish new, or cheaper used. I feel like I've gotten more than that out of the website anyway

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Gwaihir posted:

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but the best burnt ends I've ever made were from pork belly. I think that recipe came from meathead too.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but the best burnt ends I've ever made were from pork belly. I think that recipe came from meathead too.

How to bbq right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I made these yesterday. Used the Costco BBQ barrel rub and a chipotle-honey glaze. Forgot to spray with ACV during the smoke so a little crunchier than I would have liked.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think I'm gonna use malcom's method but instead of a KC style glaze at the end, do something mustard based. It'll be a fun experiment.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Made a brisket. It’s good.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Thermoworks blog has a good guide to brisket, and a comparison of crutching methods. I wrapped mine in foil because I wanted it done in under 12 hours (clocked in at 11.5). Perfectly tender, hint of pot roast in the flat.

Personally I don't know if the value is there for brisket. But it's $4/lb for a prime packer at my Costco. The one I just cooked was 16lbs, but I trimmed off nearly 5lbs of hard fat. After cooking its weighs a ton less, would guess there was 6 servings there? Like yeah it's good but I don't know that it's $10 per person good.

Meanwhile a pork butt is 0.97/lb, is delicious, and has a ton more servings.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Brisket is just too expensive right now. A chuck roast is in the neighborhood of a brisket.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know $60 for a vacuum packer is about the same as what I paid 5+ years ago.

I think the Thermoworks Billows isn't enough for the 22 WSM. I'm noticing that I have to set the temp 25-50°F higher than I want to get my target temp. I also notice that Thermoworks has an adapter to let you run 2 Billows for larger smoker. I didn't think a 22 inch WSM was considered a large smoker, but it would be nice if Thermoworks could let you select a smoker to use and adjust the Billows control profile to be more or less aggressive to compensate.

Midnight pic when I started.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

um excuse me posted:

I don't know $60 for a vacuum packer is about the same as what I paid 5+ years ago.

I think the Thermoworks Billows isn't enough for the 22 WSM. I'm noticing that I have to set the temp 25-50°F higher than I want to get my target temp. I also notice that Thermoworks has an adapter to let you run 2 Billows for larger smoker. I didn't think a 22 inch WSM was considered a large smoker, but it would be nice if Thermoworks could let you select a smoker to use and adjust the Billows control profile to be more or less aggressive to compensate.

Midnight pic when I started.

At my Publix it was close to $60 just for the flat. My understanding is that beef is up pretty much everywhere in the US.