Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Apparently Red Bull and Mercedes both have cheaty front wings that open to reduce drag on the straights.

Pretty funny that Merc might be cheating but are still poo poo.

Mercedes read the rules carefully but Red Bull are cheating is my stance on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Passive active aero seems pretty rad to me

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

GramCracker posted:

I'm with quid on this one:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

GramCracker posted:

Were you attending one of the SlipStream events? I'm thinking of taking the RS3 to one this summer.

Nah it was a NASA event that happened alongside this thing called MPact which is a nominally bmw car show with this roll racing poo poo and some other bmw stuff.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

spaceblancmange posted:

I'm an Haas man
Yeah I'm an Haas man
YEAH!

I love to love 'em
I love to kick 'em
I love to shove 'em
I love to stick 'em
Love to flaunt 'em
I love to watch 'em
I love to pick 'em
And I'm gonna kick 'em

Cause I'm an Haas man
Yeah I'm an Haas man
Yes I'm Haas man
HAAS!
I'm an Haas man!

So many Hasses
So little time
Only a tight one can stop me on the dime
I'm a lover of every kind
The best surprises always stick up from behind

Cause I'm an Haas man
Yeah!
I'm an Haas man
Yes I'm Haas man
Haas!
I'm an Hass man

Buns of glory
Buns of steel
Your Haas will give away the truth of how I feel
You walk behind me I feel the heat
Thats why the girls dont walk behind me down the street

Cause I'm an Haas man
Yes! I'm an Haas man
Yes I'm an Haas man
HAAS!

thank you

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

As usual it falls on the good lads at Maranello and Woking to preserve the integrity of the sport

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

harperdc posted:

Highlights of History: A look at moments from the past for upcoming Grands Prix

I know two things to be true of Formula 1 at the moment:

• A lot of new viewers have started watching the series since 2020 amid the wild popularity of Netflix's reality series Drive to Survive
  • Because of restrictions due to COVID 19, the 2020 and 2021 seasons haven't gone to all of the best, trademark circuits on the F1 calendar

As a way to kill some time before the next race weekend, and as a way to help new fans catch up on moments from the past ahead of these races, I'm trying to find some details and famous moments from these Grands Prix in history. Considering Formula 1 has 70 years of history as a series, there's plenty to mine.

Let me catch up with the first few races of the year. I think we can agree that no more should be said about the Saudi Arabian GP, plus its entire history is about 5 months old, so let me focus quickly instead on a highlight from the Bahrain GP history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTH87phrwEs

2014 Bahrain GP - Hamilton vs. Rosberg

Much like right now, a new type of cars (with the current V6 hybrid turbo engines) had been introduce for 2014, and similar to this year, the hope was racing would be better with them. That didn't prove itself in the first race of 2014, but in the second at Bahrain, we got a good taste of how the racing would get better in 2014...but between two teammates, Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, who would then go on to define the first half of that V6 turbo hybrid era.

The other interesting note for Bahrain GP history is the cancellation of the 2011 Bahrain GP due to the Arab Spring protests, and then the potential for a boycott to have stopped the race in 2012 due to how the government responded to the protests. It's still an issue that is brought up sometimes regarding the Bahrain race, and good to remember amidst the Russian GP and Saudi Arabian GP issues of late.

But let's go to someplace with a bit more history - coming next week, the return to the Australian Grand Prix, which has been held since 1996 in Melbourne's Albert Park in the middle of the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHOyIGToAZc

1996 Australian GP start - Martin Brundle's massive crash

An interesting fact about the Australian GP is that it's traditionally been either the first race of the season (in the Melbourne era) or the final race of the season, in its 1985-1995 form at a street circuit in Adelaide. So that means either the Aussie GP has been the site of lots of surprises and attrition in Melbourne, or some incredibly high drama in Adelaide.

But the first Melbourne race, in 1996, also featured one of the current Formula 1 commentators cartwheeling into the gravel trap at the end of sector 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9AsyDRbNcA

We Wanted to Believe, and it was True

Meanwhile, for my money the biggest surprise in the Melbourne era has been the 2009 Australian GP, when we got Jenson Button winning the first race of the season on the way to taking quite possibly the most shocking World Championship in the modern era. Once again, this was when there was a rules change, but Button was driving for a team that shouldn't have even been on the grid, and when it was on the grid as Honda the preceding years, had been struggling a lot.

Of the Adelaide era, there's two years that really stand out to me: 1986 and 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZFtIclOdYg

Both decided championships, but the 1986 race had more permutations, as three drivers came in with a chance to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91JoW4mSiZo

1994 meanwhile was Schumacher versus Hill, a landmark moment in F1 history.

Any other moments I missed? Anything else you'd like to see from the history of F1? I'll try to keep these up ahead of races this season.

I think people generally care more if they have a way to associate old things with new things, not just being given old things that are cool to old heads because of a hundred other tiny things that new people don't know about, so let's do this again.

Bahrain 2014 - Skip. If you don't know who Nico Rosberg was for the seasons before that their battle then isn't very interesting. Watch that season review on the F1 site.

Australia 1996 - Skip. Yes, Martin Brundle killed someone. If you watch the broadcast this weekend you will likely hear about this no fewer than 3 times. None of these drivers will be remotely familiar outside of a few people's fathers.

Australia 2009 - Worth it. First year of a new formula, just like this year. First year for a new team. And the namesake of that team is the same Ross Brawn that deals with the F1 technical regs now. Brawn was sold to Mercedes the year after this.

Australia 1986 and 1994 - Skip. None of these people are relevant to F1 in 2022, despite Damon Hill desperately wishing he was.

What is actually worth watching?

Australia 2007. The arrival of Sir Lewis Hamilton.

Australia 2009. New team new formula new order. The birth of the Mercedes monster.

Australia 2011. The very first race on Pirelli tires in over a decade. Clownshoes. Sort of literally. Features a number of current drivers and at least one surprise involving them.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/sergiorf97/status/1510535530810855425?s=21&t=-4B_-KDNCCjpPMddb-Q3oA

well, that has got to suck

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

El Plan

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

El pain

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Well, that's a tough spot to be in

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Made a big pile of pancakes in my nonstick pan.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Pancakes are the best.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rebus posted:

Ain't broke don't spend £££ on it when there are glaring problems elsewhere that would have a measurably better impact on car performance?

this is a way better explanation than I was expecting lol

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dynamite Dog posted:

Australia 1996 - Skip. Yes, Martin Brundle killed someone. If you watch the broadcast this weekend you will likely hear about this no fewer than 3 times. None of these drivers will be remotely familiar outside of a few people's fathers.
Killed someone?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I may be mixing up Australian incidents. Someone killed a marshall in a wreck similar to Brundles

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That was Villeneuve's crash in 2001.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Made bacon this morning.

Took a shower, came back to find that my wife put my seasoned cast iron skillet in the dishwasher.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Well they did say they were favouring performance over reliability...

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Cimber posted:

Made bacon this morning.

Took a shower, came back to find that my wife put my seasoned cast iron skillet in the dishwasher.

I'm so sorry for your loss

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cimber posted:

Made bacon this morning.

Your wife did you a favour.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Charles Leclerc posted:

I know this isn't real because if it was it'd be from Literally Charles Leclerc

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Charles Leclerc posted:

:mods:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Oh no this pan made from literal cast iron can't handle a clean cycle in the dishwasher, now I will have to spend all my evenings this week fastidiously seasoning this piece of poo poo pan with old grease :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Charles Leclerc posted:

Oh no this pan made from literal cast iron can't handle a clean cycle in the dishwasher, now I will have to spend all my evenings this week fastidiously seasoning this piece of poo poo pan with old grease :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

i dont believe that you are Charles Leclerc

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Charles Leclerc posted:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:rip: andretti's first few years

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Charles Leclerc posted:

next time you're over there just ask cimbers wife not to put it in the dishwasher, at least that's what I plan on doing

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
lmao at all of this

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Lurker here to complain about my new flat where the previous owners put in fancy induction cook tops and my cast iron pan is made of the wrong kind of iron or is not flat enough or some poo poo for this fussy as gently caress hob. But yes, soon I will realise they did me a favour having to spend all the money on induction compatible pans.

Forza Ferrari. rip in peace papayaboys. Australia should be fun

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Lurker here to complain about my new flat where the previous owners put in fancy induction cook tops and my cast iron pan is made of the wrong kind of iron or is not flat enough or some poo poo for this fussy as gently caress hob. But yes, soon I will realise they did me a favour having to spend all the money on induction compatible pans.

Think of the amount of time you'll save from not slavishly applying weeks old cooking grease and baking it into your cookware which is probably as old as the gunfight at the ok corral, you'll probably have time for an equally tedious personality alternative like craft beer appreciation, veganism or being an unironic McLaren/Daniel Ricciardo fan. The possibilities are literally endless!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Get better cast iron.

Induction + cast iron made the best steak seer I've ever had.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

beef is bad, can cast iron cook meat from an animal that won't give me a debilitating brain disease a decade from now?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Get better cast iron.

Induction + cast iron made the best steak seer I've ever had.

I was in charge of cooking one night at a friends bachelor party so I made a beef tenderloin since there were so many of us. Sous vide ezmode. Unfortunately no dishes big enough to sear the whole thing in so I threw some oil on a baking sheet and put that on the electric burner. Turned out fantastic.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

a nice pan would be wasted on me. i'd only use it to fry sausages and black pudding.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

As usual it falls on the good lads at Maranello and Woking to preserve the integrity of the sport

They should engage in some information sharing to ensure the morally bad Germans and Austrians do not bring the sport into disrepute.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Beyond Meat patties are pretty good. I go for them whenever I need a burger fix.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

a nice pan would be wasted on me. i'd only use it to fry sausages and black pudding.

what the hell is black pudding? Do you mean chocolate? Why would you fry chocolate pudding?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Seems like a good use of a pan to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Cimber posted:

what the hell is black pudding? Do you mean chocolate? Why would you fry chocolate pudding?

Only the best item on the full English breakfast