Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Professor Beetus posted:

drat, I'm struggling to imagine what it might be like to live in a place where having a chronic incurable disease isn't just an albatross around my neck.

We have to pay around $3000 a year for just for one of my wife's medications for her chronic illness and that's if the reimbursement program actually refunds us what its supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Sarah Pailin has proven that her and her family are so white trash that I can't help but lol at her running as a "conservative family values" candidate.

I still remember when she had that family brawl in a restaurant a decade or so ago.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sarah Pailin has proven that her and her family are so white trash that I can't help but lol at her running as a "conservative family values" candidate.

I still remember when she had that family brawl in a restaurant a decade or so ago.

DeSantis/Palin 2024?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nah it tracks

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
The US healthcare system is second to none. but we can do better. when you see a medical provider they sensibly negotiate with the insurance company and you pay the difference.

but what happens if the insurance company refuses to pay out? you're on the hook for it. that's not fair. what we need is a product that insures you against these losses. Call it health insurance insurance. for a reasonable monthly fee the insurance insurance company will pay the difference between what your health insurance company pays the provider and what the provider actually costs!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

DeeplyConcerned posted:

The US healthcare system is second to none. but we can do better. when you see a medical provider they sensibly negotiate with the insurance company and you pay the difference.

but what happens if the insurance company refuses to pay out? you're on the hook for it. that's not fair. what we need is a product that insures you against these losses. Call it health insurance insurance. for a reasonable monthly fee the insurance insurance company will pay the difference between what your health insurance company pays the provider and what the provider actually costs!

a firmly capitalist solution.

Unfortunately, since it's unregulated the new companies have been taking advantage of customers. So I am introducing the Patient Payment Protection and Affordable Consumption Act. It aims to reign in unfair practices and to lower costs* for consumers across the board by using tax dollars to pay those companies to widen their risk pools and also create plans to be put on an exchange. Also you must purchase health insurance insurance now or face a tax penalty.

*slightly lower the exponential rate at which costs are increasing.

Now, some have said that drug companies are taking advantage of these new health insurance insurance companies attempting to fill the gap by raising the prices on drugs even more. What people need to understand is that the expense is so they can turn that money into research! It's a system that benefits everyone! Some have also said the fact that my portfolio contains a large amount of stock from certain drug companies means I can't be trusted to reign in costs!

Nonsense! Drug companies employ many people and their profits will be used to pay those people and for their benefits (like health insurance and health insurance insurance). It's all part of what I like to call the Great Chain.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Palin came along a decade too early. She would easily be at Noem/MTG level prominence or better today, probably the favorite to be Trump's VP for his reboot if she were 15 years younger. Although, it's a bit of a chicken/egg thing, because she was the clear bridge between the GOP moving on from Bush to Trump in the first place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
She was definitely ringing the bell that the Republican base was entirely sick of mealy-mouthed empty :decorum:, which they would go on to successfully eject from primacy in the party. She became the face of the campaign because no one except Democrats actually liked McCain.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The admin is removing the Covid restrictions (Title 42) next month

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1509933712460365826?s=21&t=RFMH4TsFleMNzGyjl1ptEA

Does this mean they won't force you stay in Mexico for two weeks just because you have COVID?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Just look on the bright side: Congressional terms are only two years. That's about as long as she lasted in her last elected office before she got bored and quit :v:

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

DeeplyConcerned posted:

The US Healthcare "system" performs terribly compared to our peer nations and its not even close. No metric supports us performing better.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Medium Chungus posted:

The US Healthcare "system" performs terribly compared to our peer nations and its not even close. No metric supports us performing better.

I think that part was a joke building into the next joke.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Medium Chungus posted:

They're merely making a modest proposal.

Its that drat government that ruins everything.. What we need is all the biggest companies "the company" to share their info on what you do, buy, and eat... your health, work, and education, take all that information and, using advanced AI, craft for you a beautiful plan. Relieve yourself of the burden of the government, and of making pesky life decisions. "The company" is the free market, and every dollar you spend goes towards them and is an expression of liberty.

We call it the "citizen platinum plan" and enrollment is mandated at birth.

Citizen platinum: now that's freedom!

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

I think that part was a joke building into the next joke.

Aah yea, reading it back I made a mistake here. Sorry about that.

:thejoke:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I was just reading how UnitedHealth insurance bought up a home-care company, and now its various service sectors are now more profitable than its insurance:

quote:

UnitedHealth moves into home-health market with $5.4B acquisition

UnitedHealth Group Inc. agreed to pay about $5.4 billion in cash to add home-health provider LHC Group Inc. to its wide range of insurance and medical services. Under the terms of the proposed deal, UnitedHealth will pay $170 a share for LHC, the companies said in a statement on Tuesday. That’s about 8% higher than LHC’s closing price Monday. LHC would become part of UnitedHealth’s Optum Health unit.

LHC Group shares rose 6.7% at 9:40 a.m. in New York. UnitedHealth shares were up 0.6%.

As the pandemic kept patients from entering hospitals and clinics, more providers turned to home-based care and telehealth. The approach continues an industry trend of trying to keep patients from using expensive hospital beds, and in many cases aligns with patient preferences of staying at home.

“This further solidifies UnitedHealth’s progress toward building a closed, end-to-end continuum of care in a primary-care setting, a strategy we view as positive. The $5.4 billion purchase gives UnitedHealth a post-acute care operator with a footprint to reach almost two-thirds of the U.S. Medicare population.” — Glen Losev, BI health care industry analyst

LHC Group has about 30,000 employees who provide more than 12 million annual in-home patient-focused interventions, according to the statement. UnitedHealth rival Humana Inc. last year acquired Kindred at Home.

The acquisition is expected to close in the second half of the year and to be neutral to UnitedHealth’s outlook for adjusted net earnings per share this year, modestly add to earnings in the next, and advancing strongly in subsequent years, according to the statement.

Including LHC’s $767 million in net debt, the transaction value is about $6.15 billion, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Acquisitions have been a key driver of UnitedHealth’s growth. Its last major deal, to acquire health data and payments firm Change Healthcare Inc., is being challenged by the U.S. Department of Justice. A trial is scheduled for this summer.

Expanded care delivery services have also boosted revenue and profits at UnitedHealth. More than any of its peers, the company has sought to purchase medical groups and other providers. Executives said late last year that Optum had about 60,000 physicians.

Optum’s businesses, which include a pharmacy benefits manager and data and consulting services, last year made up just over half of the company’s operating profit.

In addition to home care, Lafayette, Louisiana-based LHC operates hospices, long-term acute-care hospitals and physical therapy clinics, according to a company filing. The company operates in 37 states, within reach of 60% of American seniors, LHC said.

https://www.benefitspro.com/2022/03/31/unitedhealth-moves-into-home-health-market-with-5-4b-acquisition

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This is the sort of thing I'm speaking to when I discount the measures by which the economy is booming.

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-biden-covid-health-business-f28163a146d043700247a299f39be4e9

quote:

The economic discontent is reflected in Biden’s standing in public opinion polls.

Roughly 7 in 10 people in the United States describe the economy as being in poor shape, while nearly two-thirds disapprove of Biden’s economic leadership, according to a March poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

Administration officials and Biden allies happily point to the job creation data as a sign of accomplishment but they are also perturbed by the lingering economic malaise that threatens him with a historically inhospitable environment for a president’s party in a midterm year.

Most people simply don't feel it and I think it's a mistake to disregard that and just point to traditional measurements about why they're all mistaken. Earnings may be up, unemployment may be low and the stock market GDP blah blah blah but none of that means poo poo when 70% of the country is not experiencing or benefiting from it. "The Economy" may, in fact, be kicking rear end and several people have posted some neat chars and graphs but it's not reaching the wallets and savings accounts of a large majority of people.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I know there's a bird flu going around that's offed like a million chickens but I was still startled yesterday to see a dozen eggs going for $2.50 and my usual 18-count around $5. (Eta: For comparison, a dozen eggs usually sells for $1-$1.50 and 18 for $2.50.)

I don't recall another point in my lifetime in which I saw price increases happen to everyday goods so fast outside of the gouging that went on at the beginning of the pandemic. (And some of that gouging has never reversed itself.)

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Your eggs are far too inexpensive

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Industry and the market taking advantage and gouging people for profit and to sink the Biden Govt and backslide into DeSantis/Trump dictatorship is hell of a thing. Should take a lesson to never bail out and help industry because they’ll just laugh and stab you in return.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gatts posted:

Industry and the market taking advantage and gouging people for profit and to sink the Biden Govt and backslide into DeSantis/Trump dictatorship is hell of a thing. Should take a lesson to never bail out and help industry because they’ll just laugh and stab you in return.

Nationalisation is a good start and nothing else.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Back in April of 1941 there was a major strike against Ford. I find this image in particular to be interesting.

https://twitter.com/JoshLipnik/status/1510282473707646986?s=20&t=pBaJPqGDiAawKX2uPANPVg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gatts posted:

Unfortunately I don't think establishment Dems even comprehend that there can be anything wrong with this or that they even have knives in their back. This is just what you're supposed to do in the free market, right?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yawgmoft posted:

Your eggs are far too inexpensive

New midterms slogan just dropped

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

This is the sort of thing I'm speaking to when I discount the measures by which the economy is booming.

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-biden-covid-health-business-f28163a146d043700247a299f39be4e9

Most people simply don't feel it and I think it's a mistake to disregard that and just point to traditional measurements about why they're all mistaken. Earnings may be up, unemployment may be low and the stock market GDP blah blah blah but none of that means poo poo when 70% of the country is not experiencing or benefiting from it. "The Economy" may, in fact, be kicking rear end and several people have posted some neat chars and graphs but it's not reaching the wallets and savings accounts of a large majority of people.

The traditional measurements aren't bullshit. Unemployment has dropped, and wages are up.

It's just that prices are up even more, with particularly high price growth among inelastic goods like food, fuel, and rent.

Nominal wage growth is actually pretty good, and Biden boosters are happy to point to it as evidence of how great the Biden economy is going. But if price growth is higher, then people's purchasing power has dropped and real wages are down, and that's something you won't hear from the people talking about how great the economy is.

We haven't seen inflation this bad since the Reagan Recession. Wages going up by 5-6% isn't gonna leave people thrilled when price increases of major goods/bills look like this:

(https://www.realtor.com/research/august-2021-rent/)

(https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfortunately I don't think establishment Dems even comprehend that there can be anything wrong with this or that they even have knives in their back. This is just what you're supposed to do in the free market, right?

Yeah I think they turned on Biden when he pushed the BBB which meant higher taxes for the wealthy. The wealthy have no skin in the game for America and do not want to give back to her for her well being.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

The traditional measurements aren't bullshit. Unemployment has dropped, and wages are up.

It's just that prices are up even more, with particularly high price growth among inelastic goods like food, fuel, and rent.

Nominal wage growth is actually pretty good, and Biden boosters are happy to point to it as evidence of how great the Biden economy is going. But if price growth is higher, then people's purchasing power has dropped and real wages are down, and that's something you won't hear from the people talking about how great the economy is.

We haven't seen inflation this bad since the Reagan Recession. Wages going up by 5-6% isn't gonna leave people thrilled when price increases of major goods/bills look like this:

(https://www.realtor.com/research/august-2021-rent/)

(https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts)

Thanks for this. I was responding to some push back I got a few pages back when I was trying to describe how it seems to me and most people I know that this economy is not "booming" or on fire like I've been told. I feel like if this is what an economic boom looks like then we're in worse shape than I suspect. Ways of measuring "the economy" increasingly fail to have little impact or significant meaning to a fair majority of us and this feeling is absolutely palpable for just everybody I know.

Cutting your budget is doable to an extent and wages might be up but, like you said, any gains are immediately offset by having to spend more money UP the economic ladder so none of it seems to work. And a shockingly high amount of us are having to decide between meaningful health care and the effect it would have on our budgets. A larger and larger percentage of us are frozen out of the housing market. God help you if you need a new vehicle right now, even an older used one.

We're not getting ahead in this "roaring economy" is what I'm saying and people shoving all the GDP/UE/wage growth charts in front of my face that they can find doesn't change what most of us can see with our own eyes.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

New midterms slogan just dropped

There is no way eggs under 2 dollars a dozen are not flavorless nutritionally void factory farmed eggs.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Yawgmoft posted:

There is no way eggs under 2 dollars a dozen are not flavorless nutritionally void factory farmed eggs.

And yet poor people choose to buy them. Curious :thunk:

Not everyone can afford to pay $7 for 12 eggs from whole foods man. My family of four goes through 18-24 eggs a week no problem. I can't spend $50-60 a month on just eggs. Meanwhile, trader Joe's had an 18 pack of brown eggs for $3.50, or Walmart has 24 pack for 3.00.

I went shopping today so those are current.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't even remember the last time most people thought the economy "felt good." Pre-dotcom bubble burst?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Yawgmoft posted:

Why does that matter, exactly

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I feel like my grocery store has been ripping me off for years. A dozen eggs has always been around $2 to $2.50 here. You can get them on sale for cheaper. They are probably a little cheaper at Wal-Mart, but I don't usually get eggs there.

If you were getting eggs for 8 cents an egg in 2022, that is pretty crazy. Unless you live in a really low COL suburb/rural area or your grocery store has some kind of hookup for eggs that fell off the back of a truck.

Also, if your grocery store is selling a dozen eggs for a dollar and 18 for $2.50, then they are really up-charging you for the convenience of having all your eggs in one box.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kind of wild that someone complained about the price of something and one of the responses is to tell them they're buying sub par eggs and should spend more.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gumball Gumption posted:

Kind of wild that someone complained about the price of something and one of the responses is to tell them they're buying sub par eggs and should spend more.

Of all the things happening on the internet, this should be pretty low on the surprising scale.

I think Yowg was just half-joking that for meat, dairy, and eggs there is definitely a "suspiciously cheap" level that you should be suspicious of buying at.

Also, it is definitely a phenomenon localized around that specific grocery store because I don't think the price of eggs rose 150% nationally in the last week.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Willa Rogers posted:

I know there's a bird flu going around that's offed like a million chickens but I was still startled yesterday to see a dozen eggs going for $2.50 and my usual 18-count around $5. (Eta: For comparison, a dozen eggs usually sells for $1-$1.50 and 18 for $2.50.)

I don't recall another point in my lifetime in which I saw price increases happen to everyday goods so fast outside of the gouging that went on at the beginning of the pandemic. (And some of that gouging has never reversed itself.)

Lmao your expensive prices are still cheaper than eggs at any of my local grocers. Serves me right for living in Cascadia I guess.

also lmao at "flavorless and nutritionally void" from a follow up post. Yawg, please explain in detail the actual measurable nutritional differences between a factory farmed egg and a bespoke organic certified egg. I personally don't like factory farming practices and wish that most of them could be actually banned by law, it's just not something that consumers can or should take into account when making their purchases, particularly if they are living in poverty.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 3, 2022

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I feel like my grocery store has been ripping me off for years. A dozen eggs has always been around $2 to $2.50 here. You can get them on sale for cheaper. They are probably a little cheaper at Wal-Mart, but I don't usually get eggs there.

If you were getting eggs for 8 cents an egg in 2022, that is pretty crazy. Unless you live in a really low COL suburb/rural area or your grocery store has some kind of hookup for eggs that fell off the back of a truck.

Also, if your grocery store is selling a dozen eggs for a dollar and 18 for $2.50, then they are really up-charging you for the convenience of having all your eggs in one box.

I live in a metro area and eggs here are regularly <$1 per dozen and if you buy the food service one (like 60 eggs iirc?) It's half that per egg. That's Walmart though which my current one doesn't even have eggs at all the last two times I've gone.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yah, I did a double-take at those figures & bought two 12s instead of my usual 18 when the dozen were on sale for a buck.

My u.s. rep got her start in the statehouse by campaigning on unit-pricing signage and though she hasn't done much else in her subsequent decades as a pol I'll forever be grateful for that state law.

Once you learn to check unit pricing you'll notice all sorts of anomalies about how food is priced, even among products under the same brand.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anecdotally the store-brand eggs at my local grocery store were 99 cents for a dozen a year or so ago and now they're like $2.99. I've definitely been noticing some wild fluctuations in local grocery prices compared to a year ago. Like the oats I used to get have gone up from $3 to $6 so I guess I'm just buying the generic store brand for $3 instead!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ironically, given gas prices, I found that it pays to do my grocery shopping at like 4 different places to find the best prices for what I usually buy.

I laughed when I was at trader joe's the other day & saw the fresh salmon selling for 2x what it does at aldi, their sister store.

but aldi doesn't sell my beloved frozen lamb vindaloo & tj's does. :shrug:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Willa Rogers posted:

ironically, given gas prices, I found that it pays to do my grocery shopping at like 4 different places to find the best prices for what I usually buy.

I laughed when I was at trader joe's the other day & saw the fresh salmon selling for 2x what it does at aldi, their sister store.

but aldi doesn't sell my beloved frozen lamb vindaloo & tj's does. :shrug:

To be fair Aldi's is like THE cheap grocery store. Trader Joes sits between Albertsons and Whole Foods in terms of prices (above average).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Several of the cheap grocery stores around here have closed. So have the kid's consignment shops, the local flea market and a few thrift shops. You'd think it'd be the other way around. :shrug:

Meanwhile, construction of hotels and new buildings for strip malls are going up everywhere and it's always some franchise. Which is weird since you'd think that the franchises would just rent out the vacant real estate instead of building new places. And you'd think that Dollar Stores and poo poo would be booming right now?