Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Personally I'd say if you want to get better at highlights, work more highlights into your normal work flow. If someone wants to get better at layering without washes then sure, stop doing washes and do everything with layering, but if you just want to get better at highlights.... You can absolutely do that without massively changing how you paint.

CapnAndy posted:

I have never done anything more advanced than basecoat and wash and I’d like to improve. What’s the better idea considering my low skill level: wash first and then try to do edge highlights, or drybrush then wash?

This does not strike me as the question of someone who wants/needs to be told "No washes". Maybe start with just some practice edge highlighting, work up to doing shadows by hand later if you want to. Or dont, nothing wrong with washes. Personally the only things I bother highlighting up with layers and no wash is white cloth (labcoats, cloaks and whatnot) and in the last year or so I've even started using white contrast as my starting point for that too. Layering from your shadow to your highlight by hand can look real good, but for me personally its kind of a pain in the dick and much slower going. I can sometimes get decent effects but its a lot of extra time for minimal improvement in final result.

Theres all sort of more, well "technical" techniques you can do in the hobby (NMM, oil washes, freehand, glazing, OSL) and while I do agree you dont need to be an expert level painter to try simple versions of them, but if someone says they're still learning to basecoat and wash I'd say not to worry about any of them, just keep going with what you are doing and add in a highlight step. I mean, if you want to attempt NMM on your third figure ever then more power to you, but theres nothing wrong with sticking to the basics until you feel like a change.

My answer to the actual question would be; Do whichever you like, theres no hard and fast rule. Some people basecoat/wash/highlight, others basecoat/highlight/wash. If I drybrush something and it looks too bright, I wash it back down. If I wash something and it kills the highlight I go back in and drybrush/highlight/layer/whatever. I'm told doing a space marine army is basically a crash course in edge highlighting, so maybe just look up some videos of people painting marines and basically copy their order of operation (which I'm assuming is probably basecoat, wash, touch up basecoat, edge highlight, but I could easily be wrong). Kind of depends what I'm painting too, a final wash can make something look wet/oily, a final drybrush can make things look dry/dusty. I'll usually drybrush fur but I'm more likely to edge highlight armour. If you are stuck for a drybrush colour my default for anything in a brown/black is a pale ivory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

First ever attempt at OSL. It's not perfect but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There is still a bit of a mindset in some mini painting circles that using washes and drybrushing is somehow "cheating" and that your minis aren't properly painted unless you've spent countless hours on a single figure layering on highlights and doing blends, etc. It's even starting to crop up in regards to people using Contrast paints or the newer Speedpaints.

To which I say: :fuckoff:

I just point them to David Soper, who uses both techniques and has won more Golden Demons than all of those people combined. Like yeah you can definitely do "lazy" batch-painting where you just block out primary colors, drybrush a highlight, and dunk it into a big 'ol can of wash (which is totally fine, especially if you just want to actually play a game!), but on the other end of the spectrum they are both used by tons of pros as just another tool to add texture and definition alongside the more complicated techniques.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

a7m2 posted:

First ever attempt at OSL. It's not perfect but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I like it!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's nothing wrong with washes but it's always a good idea to "learn how to do things the hard way" as it were because sometimes washes end up with a result you don't like and instead of just starting all over again you can blend your way back to your desired shades and the only way you can do that is by practicing blending.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Eej posted:

There's nothing wrong with washes but it's always a good idea to "learn how to do things the hard way" as it were because sometimes washes end up with a result you don't like and instead of just starting all over again you can blend your way back to your desired shades and the only way you can do that is by practicing blending.

As with anything it really just depends on what your miniature painting goals are.

Are you trying to get better as a painter and do display-quality pieces that aren't intended to be used for gaming? Then absolutely try to master the more advanced techniques of mini painting.

If you just want to bash out some models for playing games with as fast as possible? Then wash and drybrush away.

Neither approach is better or worse than the other, provided you achieve your desired goals.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Anyone got pics of pink horrors painted something other than pink?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Xposting from specgames:

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Got a new warband finished for the first time since October!

Tried out freehand tattoos with varying levels of success:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There is still a bit of a mindset in some mini painting circles that using washes and drybrushing is somehow "cheating" and that your minis aren't properly painted unless you've spent countless hours on a single figure layering on highlights and doing blends, etc. It's even starting to crop up in regards to people using Contrast paints or the newer Speedpaints.

To which I say: :fuckoff:

that's one nice thing I like about some painting channels is they'll take the "simple" techniques like these and show how far you can take these techniques and create fantastic results. All these things are just tools in the toolkit.

But yeah absolutely nothing wrong with washes, it's just that sometimes trying to paint in a way you're not used to can really help you improve quickly. Alternatively if you want to keep using the tools you enjoy then try to set some other kind of limit, like only use 2 colours (plus a highlight and shading colour/wash) and see what you can do.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 3, 2022

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thank you! It's nice to get validation haha

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Xposting from specgames:

The tattoos came out great! The rusty blade also looks really good. I've been thinking of getting this warbands. Warbands are usually a lot of fun to paint

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 3, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Dreylad posted:

that's one nice thing I like about some painting channels is they'll take the "simple" techniques like these and show how far you can take these techniques and create fantastic results. All these things are just tools in the toolkit.

But yeah absolutely nothing wrong with washes, it's just that sometimes trying to paint in a way you're not used to can really help you improve quickly. Alternatively if you want to keep using the tools you enjoy then try to set some other kind of limit, like only use 2 colours (plus a highlight and shading colour/wash) and see what you can do.

Like I say, it all boils down to the goal you have with painting your minis, whether it's to have really amazing-looking display pieces, or just quickly knock out some models for a game, or somewhere in between. Lately I've been leaning a lot more towards "that's good enough for a game", so a lot of the time my figures are getting the "basecoat, wash, pick out a few highlights, call it a day" approach. There are occasions where I'll stop and do a few extra steps, depending on whether I'm doing a single figure or a small skirmish unit, but by and large I find I'd rather spend more time gaming than painting these days. Though having said that, ever since I got an airbrush recently, I do find myself wanting to paint a lot more often. :)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm Bretonnian Knights

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

10mm Bretonnian Knights

God drat. This is so impressive. I’m assuming the key to this size is an emphasis on contrasts, but you still have to have that brush control. Kudos, man.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
This Mephiston that won the open GD competition is absolutely insane.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thats also a way loving cooler sculpt than the official mephiston, god drat

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I went ahead and ordered the paint carousel / ferris wheel looking thing. Paid a little extra to have it done with laminate wood instead of MDF and for some custom engraving. I ordered the big one that holds 96 citadel paints. Will post pictures when it arrives!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I went ahead and ordered the paint carousel / ferris wheel looking thing. Paid a little extra to have it done with laminate wood instead of MDF and for some custom engraving. I ordered the big one that holds 96 citadel paints. Will post pictures when it arrives!

I am interested in your journey.

I could do with further paint storage and will be measuring my space soon to look at ~options~

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have been working a lot lately so have had no time to paint, since I work 12 hour days, so most of my hobby related stuff has been spent trying to organize the hobby area, as I can do that easily in 30 minute chunks here or there.

What I want to figure out is exactly what paints are going to go on what paint holder and how to divvy them all up. Then I want to print out a little guide or sticker set or something with labels, so I know where to put the paints back when I am done with them. I also have to kind of future proof this set up as well. For example, I do not own any contrast paints, and there are 34 GW contrast paints. I imagine I will pick up a few in the future, but I am not sure I will pick up the whole set. 34 seems like a lot of colors for contrast paints. But I would hate to have to do a complete re-org to accommodate more paints in the future. Hmmm.

I feel pretty confident I want to break them up into groups based on painting process. Base paints in one area. Shades in another. Layers in another. Metals in their own area.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I am interested in your journey.

I could do with further paint storage and will be measuring my space soon to look at ~options~

I built this myself out of strips of mdf style board and wood glue and superglued L brackets I screwed into the wall. I thought it worked pretty good tbh

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I built this myself out of strips of mdf style board and wood glue and superglued L brackets I screwed into the wall. I thought it worked pretty good tbh

Nice. I did something very similar a few weeks ago.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

SiKboy posted:

Personally I'd say if you want to get better at highlights, work more highlights into your normal work flow. If someone wants to get better at layering without washes then sure, stop doing washes and do everything with layering, but if you just want to get better at highlights.... You can absolutely do that without massively changing how you paint.

When I wanted to get better at highlighting, I started making battle damage in metal where there wasn't modeled battle damage. In other words, paint exposed fresh metal on a flat surface and make it look deep3d.

[url]"Painting Basics: Battle Damage - The Brush and Boltgun" https://brushandboltgun.com/2017/03/28/battle-damage/[/url]

I found that when you get that edge highlighting right , it looks much better than even modeled gouges that help just by being 3d.

At the same time, I got really good at layering because you def have to learn at least the basics (which the link I posted shows) to make it good when building up the gouge.

I mention this because you can put damage everywhere. Just don't go over the top unless you really want to show this model went through poo poo which you need to dirty up everywhere.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 4, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nice. I did something very similar a few weeks ago.

I like it. One of these days I'll have more space for my art stuff :smith:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That is cool. I probably should have mentioned my paint desk is in the middle of a wall in front of a window so no convenient wall storage options would work and also I want to keep the height of anything on the desk not too high so I can look out.

edit: might just double my nail varnish stand from 1 to 2, which I think this thread gave me the rec on in the first place, but that's not as exciting so we shall see.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That is cool. I probably should have mentioned my paint desk is in the middle of a wall in front of a window so no convenient wall storage options would work and also I want to keep the height of anything on the desk not too high so I can look out.

That sounds like a challenge. Maybe draw something up and we could make a suggestion?

I'm just kitty cornered into a small area myself

The right are some cheapo fake-kallax for board games, below the desk is where the only place for an AC can go for the entire apartment, which is currently blocked by boxes of miniature storage containers that will have to go somewhere else in the summer, and I installed these shelves here in this corner too because I needed some shelf space (vaulted ceilings...)

It's just very dense, and probably wont ever be better until me and the S.O. can get a bigger apartment (but we're already paying way under market value because we're buddy-buddy with the landlord).

Until then I think it can help me not overspend on plastic crack I think.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

10mm Bretonnian Knights

Are the barding and banners freehand? Because loving hell, that's amazing

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

edit: might just double my nail varnish stand from 1 to 2, which I think this thread gave me the rec on in the first place, but that's not as exciting so we shall see.

I think we are in the same boat! My hobby area is a free standing desk in the middle of a den with windows and hallways around it so I cannot do the wall mounted stuff. The wall mounted stuff shown by the two goons is exactly what I would do if I could though! It looked really good! They also looked functional in terms of accepting different bottle styles and sizes, which can be a pain with a lot of the CNC ordered stuff. Thank goodness I don't have any Tamiya square bottles.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think we are in the same boat! My hobby area is a free standing desk in the middle of a den with windows and hallways around it so I cannot do the wall mounted stuff. The wall mounted stuff shown by the two goons is exactly what I would do if I could though! It looked really good! They also looked functional in terms of accepting different bottle styles and sizes, which can be a pain with a lot of the CNC ordered stuff. Thank goodness I don't have any Tamiya square bottles.

If anyone does have any Tamiya bottles (and does have wall access), this method works just fine btw

I've been meaning to get some panel line and these shelves were cheap as dirt.

Each L bracket you need two per shelf, and since they're just paints you don't need to worry about the weight.

edit here's the cost of the parts:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-Medium-Density-Fiberboard-1508104/202089069

(I used my landlord's table saw she had lying around to cut these 6 shelves into 6, 2" strips, then also cut 6, 1" strips for the backing.) Honestly you don't "need" the backing but that's still only a foot of material out of this 2x4 bit of fiberboard.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-EHK-Series-4-1-2-in-40-lbs-Capacity-Micro-Trigger-Clamp-with-1-5-8-in-Throat-Depth-EHKMICRO/312014474

I then used a bunch of these trigger clamps (doing 1 shelf at a time reduces how many of these expensive clamps are.) to hold everything in place with wood glue ($3.48) I also used some spring clamps I used for cheap as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Corner-Brace-Value-Pack-20-Pack-18564/202034301

You'll also need 12 of these, which honestly was the other part that was expensive. Oh and superglue, but you probably already have those.

edit2: I made sure the spacing was wide enough that I could fit the taller bottles once I eventually move away from GW paints. They aren't tall enough for Golden High-flow acrylics though.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 4, 2022

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
SHELVE FIGHT

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

See I thought about that, but my issue was being able to find the drat paint I wanted. if it wasn't just "look up and see the paint you want" then I was going to futz around trying to find the paint, and at that point, just throw it in a bucket.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The first 28mm scale minis I've painted in probably 15 years. (unless you count BattleTech as 28mm) They still need basing, but I plan to do that once I have them all done.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Are these Ikea picture ledges? I used to use the same sorts of picture ledges for a long while, until I recently replaced them with the paint rack I posted earlier.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Protip: When someone tells you a bottle of Microsol will last you forever, that prediction does not account for knocking the bottle over and spilling most of it all over your painting desk.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Pretty sure whatever tiny bit is still left will last almost forever!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That sounds like a challenge. Maybe draw something up and we could make a suggestion?

My desktop is 48" x 30" (deep), the white lamp I'm probably going to get rid of as it doesn't provide much benefit over my single wide lamp (the gray pole in the middle), off to the right is my vortex mixer. I currently have in the 50+ paints category.

I could just get another of the same nail polish holder things.

This 15" tall and 20" wide thing I could get and maybe put on the right side of my desk, shuffle the storage drawers to the middle, and still have a mostly unobstructed view out my window. Also I'd get rid of the nail polish rack if I go this big. - Link

This 78 bottle holder looks like a good option given the depth I have to work with on my desk - Link

And I think I found the carousel paint rack thing but I think for my space it's dimensions and price don't make a lot of sense for me.

Any thread thoughts welcome, I think after typing it all out I'm leaning towards the 78 bottle holder.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Any thread thoughts welcome, I think after typing it all out I'm leaning towards the 78 bottle holder.

Don't know where you're located, but HobbyZone's storage solution has done wonders for my workspace organization

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Winklebottom posted:

Don't know where you're located, but HobbyZone's storage solution has done wonders for my workspace organization

I'm in .america but checking out that website now, looks cool!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

WIP for an Iron Warrior kitbash. I think all I have left for everything is the teal osl from eyes and whatnot, and doing pigments on the legs/base. Then I'll seal it with a mecha high gloss.

I think I'm over making the entire base from scratch since they never bake perfectly flat. I guess I'll just build on top of the rounds like the rest of the sane people do.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Funzo posted:

Protip: When someone tells you a bottle of Microsol will last you forever, that prediction does not account for knocking the bottle over and spilling most of it all over your painting desk.

The right of passage is complete, and now, you are an adult modeller.

I'm in .america but checking out that website now, looks cool!

They finally got a US page a little while back because it was stupid to spend that much money on shipping: https://www.hobbyzone.biz/

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Here's another WIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My desktop is 48" x 30" (deep), the white lamp I'm probably going to get rid of as it doesn't provide much benefit over my single wide lamp (the gray pole in the middle), off to the right is my vortex mixer. I currently have in the 50+ paints category.

I could just get another of the same nail polish holder things.

This 15" tall and 20" wide thing I could get and maybe put on the right side of my desk, shuffle the storage drawers to the middle, and still have a mostly unobstructed view out my window. Also I'd get rid of the nail polish rack if I go this big. - Link

This 78 bottle holder looks like a good option given the depth I have to work with on my desk - Link

And I think I found the carousel paint rack thing but I think for my space it's dimensions and price don't make a lot of sense for me.

This holder is vertical, clear, and holds 75 Vallejo style paints. You can store more in the inner half, but they cannot be seen as easily that way. The price point and footprint might work out for you. They will not hold anything bigger than Vallejo though.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZJ4Z3P1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is nice looking and is mostly vertical and holds 60 Citadel style. It is a little deep, but offers some footprint options. Looks really nice too.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B097TQHRL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1