Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I bet they get attacked by the bees, too

No it's usually fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Sure we live in the midst of an escalatingly catastrophic manmade mass extinction event but have you considered being ok with that?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
evangelion is a documentary when you realize the giant monsters are covid variants

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I've said this a million times before, but being an alien archeologist trying to piece together what happened to humanity would be a fascinating job

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

maybe a benthic microbe starved for hydrocarbons will evolve to start breaking it down and accelerate global warming.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Last night I had a dream that that ancient parasite turned into a Kaiju and was just loving everything up because Godzilla isn't real.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Everyone knows that that is its butt, right?? I mean, it's an incredible face-butt but I feel like some posters might have missed this amazing fact in the shuffle

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I've said this a million times before, but being an alien archeologist trying to piece together what happened to humanity would be a fascinating job

Alright Zorblax, here's what we think went down, these guys pumped out the oil and turned it into plastic and blanketed the planet in it because they were dumbfucks.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

(biosphere collapse) we haven’t been very successful, and neither have birds

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

The Protagonist posted:

Everyone knows that that is its butt, right?? I mean, it's an incredible face-butt but I feel like some posters might have missed this amazing fact in the shuffle

:thejoke:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
You know fellas I've been thinking a lot lately, people have been saying the world's gonna end any day now for as long as I can remember. And yet here we are,still here. Not the birds tho lmao

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
gently caress them birds

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

one day we'll be the birds

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

gently caress them birds

what did birds do to you

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

what did birds do to you

*Shrugs* gotta extinct something

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Gotta catch extinct em all!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Everyone's afraid to say it but birds poop on us

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Crazypoops posted:

Everyone's afraid to say it but birds poop on us

Username/post combo

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Egg Moron posted:

Alright Zorblax, here's what we think went down, these guys pumped out the oil and turned it into plastic and blanketed the planet in it because they were dumbfucks.

we're just another microbe that learned to metabolize oil and then drowned in our own excrement

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mayor Dave posted:

Username/post combo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

one day we'll be the birds

That's what the dinosaurs said and look what happened to them

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

That's what the dinosaurs said and look what happened to them

They were clever and skipped a step

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Egg Moron posted:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
aliens will set up a quarantine around earth to keep researchers from bringing back covid ba.69capitalism

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen
unless fossil fuel overuse and subsequent climate disaster is the great filter

then youd end up with aliens who excitedly keep discovering new planets capable of supporting life, only to approach them closer and realize its yet another failed peer species that burned itself out of existence

which would probably get you pretty depressed, if you were these aliens

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shima Honnou posted:

aliens will set up a quarantine around earth to keep researchers from bringing back covid ba.69capitalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRl9D_agLbU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

wondering if a collective consciousness/hive mind type species, or even one that's not burdened with sentience, would run into the same problems as us

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

IAMKOREA posted:

gently caress them birds

it's a real coinky-dink that we're getting tears about disappearing birds now in the middle of a global supply chain crisis penetrating the manufacturing of microelectronics

almost like precise spare parts are about to run out

birds aren't real

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

oh man i had at one point downloaded a ton of weird radio drama things sorta like this i wonder if i still have any

God Hole posted:

wondering if a collective consciousness/hive mind type species, or even one that's not burdened with sentience, would run into the same problems as us

do any species actually operate like that? I mean in the way it's usually depicted. What's the largest creature which is eusocial?

hm

Wikipedia posted:

Eusociality exists in certain insects, crustaceans and mammals. It is mostly observed and studied in the Hymenoptera (ants, bees, and wasps) and in Isoptera (termites). A colony has caste differences: queens and reproductive males take the roles of the sole reproducers, while soldiers and workers work together to create a living situation favorable for the brood. In addition to Hymenoptera and Isoptera, there are two known eusocial vertebrates among rodents: the naked mole-rat and the Damaraland mole-rat. Some shrimp, such as Synalpheus regalis, are also eusocial. E. O. Wilson and others[1][2] have claimed that humans have evolved a weak form of eusociality, but these arguments have been disputed.[3]

So looking some more it seems like there isn't really an example of any kind of hive mind, and hivelike animals are all pretty small. It's a pretty big jump to say that a hive of critters constitutes an organism that has thoughts or experiences in a gestalt way but as far as i can tell there's not really a way to prove or disprove such a thing has a mind because we don't know what minds are. Like dogs clearly have some kinda mind in there, even if it's a "little" or "weak" one.

Imo i think it would be extremely unlikely that any creature would have something like a culture or technology without being sapient. I was reading some bullshit of how even plants & clams may have a weak form of sentience, and all kinds of stuff like bugs have a limited amount of sapience. There's a lot of really weird poo poo though, like animals that are smaller than some germs and poo poo like that, i don't think you can really be sapient if you have exactly 20 neurons in your whole bod.

if a hive can have a mind wouldn't that mean a ton of systems might have minds? Does a corporation have a mind? Is Gaia the biosphere? What's different between my mind, which i experience as a real thing, and what uncle sam experiences?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

God Hole posted:

i'm not convinced we're burdened with sentience so probably

personally i've got about as much free will as a chat bot

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
gently caress i dunno what thread i'm even in half the time but i can tell i got some kind of mind and basically gotta assume most living things probably do

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

sorry I been reading too much Peter Watts

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

if a hive can have a mind wouldn't that mean a ton of systems might have minds? Does a corporation have a mind? Is Gaia the biosphere? What's different between my mind, which i experience as a real thing, and what uncle sam experiences?

This is sort of heading in the direction of panexperientialism, an idea that might be of interest to you.

ubachung has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Apr 4, 2022

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

hekaton posted:

unless fossil fuel overuse and subsequent climate disaster is the great filter

then youd end up with aliens who excitedly keep discovering new planets capable of supporting life, only to approach them closer and realize its yet another failed peer species that burned itself out of existence

which would probably get you pretty depressed, if you were these aliens

Star's Reach, John M. Greer posted:

“If you wish.” She looked at him, and then at the rest of us. “The Cetans aren’t the reason all of this is here. They were the one species who answered the radio messages we sent, because they’re at about the same level of technology we are, and they haven’t been contacted yet by the Others.” The way she said that last word, you could tell she would have written it with the capital letter. “The Others are the reason Star’s Reach was built.”

“Another species.” This from Thu.

She gave him something I’d have called a pitying look from anybody else. “Thousands of other species,” she said. “Millions of years more technologically advanced than we are. They have ships that can travel from star to star in less time than it took us to walk here from Cansiddi. They have answers to all the questions human beings tried and failed to find back in the old world. They were already visiting this planet before the old world went away. One of their ships crashed here, at a place called Roswell, off in the desert, and that’s when the government back then started building Star’s Reach, to make contact with them, to talk to them and get the technologies that would keep the old world from ending the way it did.

“But they wouldn’t answer. We weren’t ready for first contact, not then, not for a long time afterwards. They knew that if they landed, if they even communicated with us openly, people couldn’t stand knowing that we’re nothing more than a backward species on a backward planet that needs all the help the Others can give us.” She gestured outwards, the movement sharp as broken metal. “Think of all the people in Meriga who spend their days praying to Mam Gaia. What would they do if they suddenly found out that their Mam Gaia is nothing more than a grain of dust spinning around an ordinary star in an out of the way corner of the galaxy?

“So the Others didn’t contact us. They didn’t think we were ready. They didn’t contact the Cetans, either, and so we and the Cetans made contact with each other, and spent a couple of hundred years talking back and forth by radio. And maybe it was that—” She stopped, and shook her head. “Maybe it was that, that we were able to communicate with an alien species and bear it, that convinced the Others that we were ready to be contacted. And when they contacted us, we still weren’t ready.”

“You think that’s why the people here killed themselves,” said Eleen.

“I don’t know,” Anna admitted. “I’ve told you already most of what I remember; it was a long time ago, and I was very young. Still, once I got here and started reading the books they left for us, it all made sense. And—” She gestured again, palms up. “They left the books about the Others here for us to find, when they burned so much else. Why?”

“Tell us,” said Eleen.

“To give us the chance to figure out ahead of time that the Others are out there. I don’t think they expected anyone to be able to read the computer files, the way you have, but they probably guessed that when Star’s Reach was found, we’d start talking to the Cetans again, and sooner or later the Others would try to contact us a second time. That’s what the program’s for, I’m sure of it—a way to contact them, or a message from them. They’re still waiting out there with their advanced technology—waiting for us to be ready to welcome them, waiting until they can make this world even better than it was before the old world ended. Waiting to come down and take humanity to the stars.”

There was a light in her eyes like nothing I ever saw there before. All at once I remembered the books we’d both read, the alien-books and the make-believe stories set in space, and I knew what was in her mind. I’d read the books and scratched my head and wondered, but she’d read them and believed all of it, and I thought I could guess why. “Anna,” I asked her, “did your parents tell you any of this?”

She turned to face me then. “A little,” she said. “My mother told me about the Others just before she died. I didn’t know what to make of it. Now I do.”

No one else said anything. I glanced around the table. Tashel Ban had his owl-look on; Berry was pale and distant, Thu still as an old stone. It was Eleen’s face that caught my eye, though; she was watching Anna with an odd, sad look. It took me a moment to realize what it meant: Eleen knew something about all this, something she wasn’t saying. What?

I didn’t know, and there was something that had to be settled right away. “Tashel Ban,” I said. “Can you make the program run?”

He nodded. “All I have to do is type in the command.”

“Thu?”

He was the one who mattered most, just at that moment. If he decided it was time, we’d clear a space for a circle, he and Tashel Ban would go at each other with knives, and if it was Tashel Ban’s time to bleed out his life there on the floor, I’d have Berry or Eleen delete the program and that would be the end of it, until whoever sent it decided to try again. That was the agreement we had, and if that was the way things had to go, I knew it would be better to get it over with at once.

Thu thought about it for a moment, then shook his head. “The program ran once before, and it did not bring spaceships down from the skies. I will not invoke our agreement on the mere possibility that this thing would violate it. If it proves to be a message or gives access to a technology, then it may be necessary to settle the matter in the circle. Not until then.”

“I think,” I said then, “we need to run the program, and find out what it is.”

“Even though the last people who ran it killed themselves?” Berry asked.

“We have to know,” I said, and after a moment, he nodded.

So we all got up and went over to the computer. Tashel Ban typed at the keyboard for a bit, and then glanced back at me. I nodded, and he hit the enter button.

I realized over the next few minutes that there’s more than one kind of silence. There’s ordinary silence, and there’s deep silence, and then there’s the sort of silence that you get when everything seems to stop, just like that, and hang there in the stillness until the silence breaks. That last kind is how silent it was there in Star’s Reach as we stood around the computer and watched the screen go black. After a while, some words appeared in the middle of the screen:

please wait

So that’s what we did. Lights down on the body of the computer flashed and flickered as though they were frantic about something. Around the time I was wondering if the thing was calling home to somewhere off past Tau Ceti II and waiting for the answer, a red point appeared at the center of the screen, and then grew into a ball that turned slowly. More words appeared:

Is something visible on the screen? y/n

Tashel Ban tapped the Y key. I swear the sound echoed off the walls of the room.

Is it a sphere? y/n

He tapped it again.

Is it red? y/n

Another tap. A moment later, a sound like a flute playing one note came out of the computer.

Can you hear the sound? y/n

Tashel Ban tapped the same key.

“Can you hear this voice?” It was the computer, no question, talking out of the little holes on both sides of the screen, but it sounded like a woman’s voice, cool and calm and not quite saying the words the way they’re supposed to be said.

“Yes,” said Tashel Ban.

“Is it speaking the English language?”

“Yes.”

“Is it clear and understandable to you?”

“Close enough.”

“I don’t know what that means.”

I think we all looked at each other just then. “Yes,” Tashel Ban said after a moment.

“Thank you,” said the voice. The red ball vanished, and the screen stayed black for another longish time while the little lights on the computer body went frantic again. Then stars appeared, coming out slowly the way they do after sunset, and in the middle of them something that nobody in Meriga has ever seen in person and everybody in Meriga knows at a glance: what Mam Gaia looks like from space.

“This is your world,” said the same voice. All at once, Mam Gaia shot away into distance, as though the screen had turned into a window on a spaceship like the ones in all those stories I read. After a bit you could see the sun and the other planets scattered around it, and then everything else fell into the sun and the sun turned into a little white star out there among all the other stars, and then you could hardly see the sun at all. The spaceship, if that’s what it was, slowed down; another sun came past on one side, and then another world came into view, big and pale green and covered with swirls and stripes.

“This is ours,” the voice said. “You would call it the fourth planet of the star Delta Pavonis.”

The screen turned and plunged down toward the planet. Green swirls filled it, and then all at once we were in among the swirls, in a place where the sky was pale green and big white clumps of something else that might have been clouds drifted past, and there was no ground at all, just green sky above and below and as far as you could see in every direction. Something drifted into sight, something that looked a little like a clump of soap bubbles with a lot of thin feathers dangling down from it, but the feathers were moving and the soap bubbles got bigger and smaller as it drifted on by.

“That’s one of them,” Eleen said in a whisper.

She was right, too. Two others came into the screen, and the voice said, “You cannot visit our world and meet us, but if you could, this is what you would see.”

The image drew back, so we could see hundreds of the bubbles-and-feathers things, drifting around in the green sky. “More than four million of your years ago,” the voice said, “our species reached the stage of complex technology.” Something like a vast heap of soap bubbles and spiderwebs came into sight, glowing with points of light; I guessed it was a city, or something like one. “We made the usual mistakes, and suffered the usual consequences.” The image changed; the sky turned brown and murky, and another of the city-things came into sight, torn, lightless, empty. “Our recovery was long and difficult. Afterwards, we began reaching out, as you have, to try to contact other species on other worlds.

“We succeeded.” Another of the city-things appeared, tiny compared to the first, but with something I guessed was an antenna spread out over what must have been a huge piece of green sky. “Other worlds had already contacted one another by radio, beginning almost twenty-two million of your years ago. There are thirty-eight species currently in contact with one another. If you and the species you call Cetans both choose to open radio contact with us, you will be the thirty-ninth and fortieth. Our world is closer to your world and the Cetans’ world than any of the others, and we have been listening to your radio communications for many of your years now, so it is our place to invite you both to enter into communication with us. Here are the other species who are waiting for your answer.”

One at a time, as the voice went on, pictures appeared on the screen. Every one of them had something toward the middle that must have been an alien, and something behind it that must have been an alien world, but that’s about all that I can say about most of them. As I write this, I’m remembering one of them, a little like an upside-down flower with seven long fleshy petals, or maybe they were feet. The petal-feet were orange and so was the body of the flower, where the petal-feet came together in a spray of long thin drooping spines. Around the top of the body, where the stem would be, were a couple of dozen stalks with bright blue cones on the end of them; I guessed they were eyes. The alien stood on what looked like blue sand, or maybe it was snow, and something like blue fog swirled around it. The reason I remember that alien is that it looked more like a human being than any of the others did.

“Your messages to the Cetans, and theirs to you, have taught us much about how you communicate and how you understand the universe,” said the voice, as the aliens appeared and disappeared. “The message you received from us was designed to launch a set of self-replicating patterns that can adapt themselves to any information technology. Those patterns analyzed your technology and your means of communication so that this message could be given to you in a form you will understand. If you choose to accept our invitation, the analysis will be sent to us by radio, and we will be better able to understand what you say to us thereafter. If you accept our invitation, we know that you will have many questions. We can anticipate certain of these questions and will answer them now.

“Most species, when first contacted by one of the worlds already conversing with one another, want to know if we can travel to their world, or bring them to one of ours. We cannot. Most of the technological species we have contacted have attempted space travel, and made, as you did, short trips to nearby moons and worlds. That much can be done, at a great cost in energy and resources. To travel from star to star, however, involves a cost in energy and resources that no species known to us has ever been able to meet, and technological challenges that no species known to us has ever succeeded in overcoming. You are free to make the attempt, and other species will gladly teach you what they have learned from their failures, but we cannot offer you any hope of success.

“Most species want to know if we can help them repair the damage to their world that they caused when they first reached the stage of complex technology. We cannot. We can share our own experiences with you, and other species can do the same, but each world that supports life has its own unique patterns and problems, and the experiences of other species on other worlds may be of little help to you. At best, principles learned from those experiences may be of use to you, if it happens that you have not yet learned them yourselves.

“Most species want to know if we can teach them sciences and technologies they have not already learned for themselves. We can try, but this is less easy than you may yet realize. You will already have learned from your communications with the Cetans that different species understand the universe in very different ways, that many of the things you think are true about the universe are actually reflections of the deep structures of your own organisms, and that many more depend on conditions on your world that are not found elsewhere. We encourage you to tell us about your technology and the ways in which you understand the universe, and we will gladly try to share our knowledge with you. We will marvel at what we learn from you, but much of what you share with us, we will never fully understand; and you will find the same experience waiting for you.”

The parade of aliens finished, and then the screen showed the green sky of Delta Pavonis IV and the bubble-and-feather things floating in it.

“When our species first reached out to find other beings on other worlds, we expected to find beings much like us, living on worlds that were much like ours. We found ourselves instead communicating with beings we can scarcely imagine, living on worlds we will never fully comprehend. You will find the same thing.

“Thus we cannot solve your problems; we cannot come to you or take you to some other world; we cannot teach you anything you are not ready to learn. All we can offer is the chance to communicate with other intelligent beings, to try to grasp something of the way we and other species experience our worlds, to share your own experiences with others who are eager to learn about them, and to know that you are not alone in the universe. If that is enough, we welcome you to the conversation between worlds.

“Please communicate this message to the appropriate members of your species and make the decision according to your ways. We await your reply.”

The screen went black again, and words appeared a moment later:

You may repeat the message at any time. After each repetition, this device will ask if a decision has been made, and if the decision is favorable, you will receive instructions on how to proceed.

I have no idea how long it was after the words appeared that anyone talked or moved. I know that I spent a good long time staring at the screen, thinking about the green skies and bubble-and-feather creatures of Delta Pavonis IV and the other aliens, scattered across who knows how much of space, talking to each other since long before our first ancestors followed whatever hint Mam Gaia gave them and climbed down out of the trees in Affiga, if the priestesses are right and that’s where it happened. I thought of the blobby yellow Cetans, who practically seem like friends and neighbors to me, and wondered what they thought when they got the same message, the same offer to sit down and talk around a table made of stars, knowing that whole lives would pass by between asking a question and getting an answer.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 04:41 on Apr 4, 2022

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

That might actually be better for the ocean that it's all sinking to the bottom

Not good, obviously, and certainly not without dire consequence, but better

hell yea. in a few hundred million years a lot of it will be recycled into the lithosphere

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
there really arent any hivemind creatures that we know of. in fact, bees are little winged liberals who vote for what the hive does.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Spergin Morlock posted:

hell yea. in a few hundred million years a lot of it will be recycled into the lithosphere

Does the plastic cycle follow the same pattern as the water cycle then? It's raining microplastics?

gently caress I think I did read something about microplastic rain.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hubbert posted:

“I think,” I said then, “we need to run the program, and find out what it is.”

“Even though the last people who ran it killed themselves?” Berry asked.

“We have to know,” I said, and after a moment, he nodded.

[...]

“Most species, when first contacted by one of the worlds already conversing with one another, want to know if we can travel to their world, or bring them to one of ours. We cannot. Most of the technological species we have contacted have attempted space travel, and made, as you did, short trips to nearby moons and worlds. That much can be done, at a great cost in energy and resources. To travel from star to star, however, involves a cost in energy and resources that no species known to us has ever been able to meet, and technological challenges that no species known to us has ever succeeded in overcoming. You are free to make the attempt, and other species will gladly teach you what they have learned from their failures, but we cannot offer you any hope of success.

“Most species want to know if we can help them repair the damage to their world that they caused when they first reached the stage of complex technology. We cannot. We can share our own experiences with you, and other species can do the same, but each world that supports life has its own unique patterns and problems, and the experiences of other species on other worlds may be of little help to you. At best, principles learned from those experiences may be of use to you, if it happens that you have not yet learned them yourselves.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

gently caress i dunno what thread i'm even in half the time but i can tell i got some kind of mind and basically gotta assume most living things probably do

I think therfore most living things am

- SniperWoreConverse, 2022