Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
code:
 https://twitter.com/dmytrokuleba/status/151054746087524352
:nms:

It’s a Ukrainian government Twitter post showing photos from Bucha. Their is even a corpse stuffed in the sewer and bound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea it doesn’t seem like a reprisal, those people were going to get loving murdered regardless (judging by what the Russians did literally everywhere else).

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ArmedForcesUkr/status/1510657200410312705

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

A lot less Russians are gonna have the POW option now.
You cant declare no quarter but im sure thats never stopped anyone looking for vengeance in a war zone before.

gently caress i want this poo poo over soon.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
holy crap some of the takes I'm reading are just like wow.

"dont resist or you'll provoke them"

what in the utter gently caress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My takeaway from the histories of insurgencies since world war 2 is this: The min/max low impact insurgency is worthless, and entirely performative. The key lessons of every one has been to give no quarter. Every officer and conscript must fear that the hooker will knife them. Every supply depot must be over-guarded or else it will be looted and burned. Every vehicle depot will have it's fuel stolen or burned or spiked. You must make the occupier live in continuous fear such that they waste the inordinate amount of time and effort required to counter the insurgency that they can do nothing useful against the army that will push them back while they're dealing with endless rear echelon issues. The nice polite insurgency you're proposing is milquetoast bullshit for when you need to put up a good face but know no help is coming. As long as Ukraine exists as a sovereign entity the best way to convince the Russians to leave is to make them bleed every hour of every day. And every hour towns are harming them is an hour gained for the equipped standing army that can push back Russia to it's boarders. Cold war James bond poo poo has no impact at warfare, low level insurgency is only useful to pass Intel assets that can utilize it while they hunker down wait for counterinvasion and liberation. Ukraine is not hunkering down on the other side of the English channel while ally's marshal their armies, they're still fighting, so shifting right to an occupied mindset is counterproductive and will get more people killed and traumatized in the next few months.

Fighting back will still get people killed and traumatized. Doubtless. That is war. But far better to make that as a fight than a quiet execution.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
they should never sleep soundly or be able to be carefree or trust another human being again.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

M_Gargantua posted:

My takeaway from the histories of insurgencies since world war 2 is this: The min/max low impact insurgency is worthless, and entirely performative. The key lessons of every one has been to give no quarter. Every officer and conscript must fear that the hooker will knife them. Every supply depot must be over-guarded or else it will be looted and burned. Every vehicle depot will have it's fuel stolen or burned or spiked. You must make the occupier live in continuous fear such that they waste the inordinate amount of time and effort required to counter the insurgency that they can do nothing useful against the army that will push them back while they're dealing with endless rear echelon issues. The nice polite insurgency you're proposing is milquetoast bullshit for when you need to put up a good face but know no help is coming. As long as Ukraine exists as a sovereign entity the best way to convince the Russians to leave is to make them bleed every hour of every day. And every hour towns are harming them is an hour gained for the equipped standing army that can push back Russia to it's boarders. Cold war James bond poo poo has no impact at warfare, low level insurgency is only useful to pass Intel assets that can utilize it while they hunker down wait for counterinvasion and liberation. Ukraine is not hunkering down on the other side of the English channel while ally's marshal their armies, they're still fighting, so shifting right to an occupied mindset is counterproductive and will get more people killed and traumatized in the next few months.

Fighting back will still get people killed and traumatized. Doubtless. That is war. But far better to make that as a fight than a quiet execution.

Well said.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Poor Russia, forced to invade and brutally murder their neighbors by those dastardly nato boys!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

holy crap some of the takes I'm reading are just like wow.

"dont resist or you'll provoke them"

what in the utter gently caress

There are some insanely twitter broke brain takes being tried out all over the forum. This is just another variant of “NATO caused this by poking the bear” and “Zelenskyy is the real monster by making his people fight an unwinnable battle”

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

There are some insanely twitter broke brain takes being tried out all over the forum. This is just another variant of “NATO caused this by poking the bear” and “Zelenskyy is the real monster by making his people fight an unwinnable battle”

They should all just surrender and proceed calmly to the execution room (conveniently located right next to the torture room).

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yes.. better to be subjugated, murdered and raped. :hmmyes:

i am very smart

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Get out of here Stalker Russian Army.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I just realized that the Metro games were made by a Ukrainian studio.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so the main reason why this got me clicking today was i spent half the morning with my toddler yesterday and idly keeping up on things on my phone just you know hearing about recently discovered crazy rear end war crimes. then i go out to dinner with my inlaws and they are all asking our opinions because it sure "seems like putin is really giving it to them, to stop the nazis" and "why do we even pay for nato anyways" and it was all i could do not to flip a table with my kiddo there.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I hear this from an idiot buddy of mine:

"Both sides propaganda machines go brrrrrrt"

"The propaganda machine is already implicating then on cyberattacks in Ukrainian infrastructure leading up the to war.

New Axis of evil narrative being played out before our very eyes"

Literally eat poo poo you loving Putin apologist. Like what the gently caress

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 3, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

BigHead posted:

Dangit I posted in the wrong Ukraine thread again. GIP is not the place for idiotic puns. Idiotic Putins yes, puns no.

Have you met me?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
:mcnally:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Please don't get this thread locked too

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
One of my favorite things about GiP is seeing a thread with a bunch of new posts, and reading the first part of people with probated avatars start to argue. I rub my hands together greedily and begin to catch up

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'll also mirror another thought from the other thread - that while my opinions on war and insurgency are rather brutal, I do earnestly think that prisoners and captives do deserve full accountment and humane treatment. While they are an occupier they are a valid combattant. Once they are a prisoner of war they are now denied to your opponent and can testify against their officers at the eventual war crime trials. Hard to get valid testimony and true justice from a prisoner whom you have in turn mishandled.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

I'll also mirror another thought from the other thread - that while my opinions on war and insurgency are rather brutal, I do earnestly think that prisoners and captives do deserve full accountment and humane treatment. While they are an occupier they are a valid combattant. Once they are a prisoner of war they are now denied to your opponent and can testify against their officers at the eventual war crime trials. Hard to get valid testimony and true justice from a prisoner whom you have in turn mishandled.

The war crime trials motive to handle prisoners right falls apart when there is not going to be any effect on hague judgements for the interested country. Is Russia going to extradite their officers after a sentence? No they don't. As it is, it's up to the Ukraine officers morals to keep the prisoners alive and unharmed.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Cimber posted:

I'm struggling with how I feel about this.

Part of me wants to say 'good job', but the other part of me is sad that civilians are going to have to pay the price for this elsewhere. More than they have already.

When you are that close to the abyss "you can always take one of them with you". :black101:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You still have to do the right thing and document the evidence, Interviews, and process. Even if the end result is that Major Such-and-such just ends up on a list to be arrested if he ever takes a vacation.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

When you are that close to the abyss "you can always take one of them with you". :black101:

Yeah. I mean, its easy for me to be morally conflicted here in the safety of my living room. It would be a bit more black and white if it was my hometown getting shelled nightly and my neighbors getting kidnapped, tortured, raped and then murdered.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

M_Gargantua posted:

You still have to do the right thing and document the evidence, Interviews, and process. Even if the end result is that Major Such-and-such just ends up on a list to be arrested if he ever takes a vacation.

Yeah gotta make sure we get their best for the next NATO command like last time.

Yes in this tortured example I'm calling Russia the Nazis.

:godwin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
oh for gently caress's sake

https://twitter.com/Dpol_un/status/1510693386575093771?cxt=HHwWloC59bHoh_cpAAAA

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

oh boo loving hoo. Play the victim card, lets see how that works out for you.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Sentinel posted:

A lot less Russians are gonna have the POW option now.

I hope none of them do. The only good one's a dead one!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

oh boo loving hoo. Play the victim card, lets see how that works out for you.

People will fall for it hard. I had someone at work talking about the US chemical weapon factories because Russia was talking about it at a security council meeting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wanna see Linda Thomas-Greenfield go in there and just make Bronx cheers the whole session.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

fknlo posted:

People will fall for it hard. I had someone at work talking about the US chemical weapon factories because Russia was talking about it at a security council meeting.

The only folks falling for this bullshit are the ones who already believe Russia is the good guy in this war.

The people you hear echoing that nonsense are at best just stupid and at worst monsters helping to try and shift blame for this horror, imo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

C'mon India, try to defend it. I dare you.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Reuters: Blasts heard in Russian city of Belgorod near border with Ukraine.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/blasts-heard-russian-city-belgorod-near-border-with-ukraine-witnesses-2022-04-03/

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Barcley posted:

The only folks falling for this bullshit are the ones who already believe Russia is the good guy in this war.

The people you hear echoing that nonsense are at best just stupid and at worst monsters helping to try and shift blame for this horror, imo.

Yeah the chemical weapons one has been a Q one for a while. That’s the real reason Hunter Biden was there and trump questioned Zelenskyy about it. As if Hunter is some biochem weapons expert.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also he got CAUGHT saying they can't rely on his dad's connections to do business!

The crooked gently caress!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1510648066403143683

Seems pretty believable to me! :v:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I think I'd rather eat a bullet than publish something like that. Christ.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

How much damage would Ukraine need to do to Belgorod to lose the moral high ground with the western media and populace? Remove all military assets? Remove all military and civil infrastructure? Glass the town? Make it a crater and salt the earth it stood on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

SlowBloke posted:

How much damage would Ukraine need to do to Belgorod to lose the moral high ground with the western media and populace? Remove all military assets? Remove all military and civil infrastructure? Glass the town? Make it a crater and salt the earth it stood on?

I'm not entirely sure going full-bore Vlad the Impaler would shift it that much, at this point.