Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shame the actual model doesn't have that indistinct face too until you look in the mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Dang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfjM2L8DfCc

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Is anybody else having a really good time with subsequent playthroughs driven by missing achievements?

My sorry ultraliberal hussler torque dork body-avoiding playthrough has quite the personality so far. :allears:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm having a really hard time getting into this. I'm finding the constant interjections from my subconscious way more annoying than interesting. I haven't gotten far. I'm just up to fiddling with the corpse in the yard. Is it just a tutorial area sort of thing that will fade away eventually? It's really driving me nuts. Stop telling me what I'm feeling or thinking and just let me feel or think it!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
the entire skill system is just built around which parts of your subconscious pop up to tell you things and the more you level them up the more talkative they get

it's kind of the entire game

i'd try to stick with it though because it really is an incredibly written game, think of them as characters in their own right, they're not telling you how to feel so much as trying to influence you towards their own individual preferences and goals, and you can ignore or indulge them as you see fit

find the skills that you like and level them up exclusively and you might have a better time

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Your brain interjecting is kind of this game's whole deal, but the various voices aren't necessarily an objective view of things - they all have their own agenda and will try to push you in certain ways. There's even scenarios where they'll argue with each other. They're much more like a party of individuals than one person's mind.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh yeah you mentioned earlier that you were going as down the middle as possible with your build. This will control how often your skills talk to you as the game is constantly making unseen passive checks to see if they'll chime in. If you go all in on a few skills it'll mean you hear from them a lot at the cost of rarely hearing from ones that you've neglected. Going down the middle will mean that in theory you'll hear a bit from all of them, which might not be what you want.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

if you restart an put 2s in everything but motorics, the voices will be less opinionated

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Maybe it'll be easier to get into once I get a better handle of the world and what's going on. I guess I have less tolerance for it at the moment because I'm also being lore dumped at the same time. It's just a bit too much.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm having a really hard time getting into this. I'm finding the constant interjections from my subconscious way more annoying than interesting. I haven't gotten far. I'm just up to fiddling with the corpse in the yard. Is it just a tutorial area sort of thing that will fade away eventually? It's really driving me nuts. Stop telling me what I'm feeling or thinking and just let me feel or think it!

ELECTROCHEMISTRY: I can tell you what you're thinking, and what you're thinking is about how much you you regret picking a normal cop. A middle of the road cop. A boring cop. You're thinking about how you need to change things up. How you need some speed, some psychedelics, some alcohol. That will quiet the voices in your head, and let you just FEEL, you're sure of it. Once you've gotten all of those things, you're thinking, you can go out on the balcony and celebrate with a cigarette. That's what you're thinking.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
lol I'm also an ex-smoker. Between this and Cyberpunk 2077 stop pressuring me to smoke video games!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'm also being lore dumped at the same time. It's just a bit too much.
How many points did you put into Encyclopaedia?

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

TACD posted:

How many points did you put into Encyclopaedia?

Your mangled brain would like you to know that there is a boxer called Contact Mike.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Maybe it'll be easier to get into once I get a better handle of the world and what's going on. I guess I have less tolerance for it at the moment because I'm also being lore dumped at the same time. It's just a bit too much.

If it helps, the feeling of being completely overwhelmed on the first day is so common for new players that I have to believe it's a deliberate choice.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

I'm having a really hard time getting into this. I'm finding the constant interjections from my subconscious way more annoying than interesting.

anxiety lyfe

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
This is one of my favorite games, but Hot Take, if you don't like the writing, the lore, and your subconscious ranting about things, this might not be the game for you. And that's okay.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I keep reading the thread title as "Mr Benzos is helping me"

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I keep reading the thread title as "Mr Benzos is helping me"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr Bezow is helping me **** my show

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

If volition calls half light Mr. Fight Or Flight and also calls Rhetoric Goldmouth then volition should definitely call electro-chemistry Mr. Benzos IMO

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It might be worth switching the dialogue mode to turn off the voice work for your subconscious. As great as the actors voice is I found it really intrusive and jarring.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It might be worth switching the dialogue mode to turn off the voice work for your subconscious. As great as the actors voice is I found it really intrusive and jarring.

:aaaaa:

Where can I turn this off? All I can see is the voice over option between full/psychological/classic. Which one keeps all character voice work and normal narration but silences the different voices for his subconscious?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Party Boat posted:

If it helps, the feeling of being completely overwhelmed on the first day is so common for new players that I have to believe it's a deliberate choice.

Definitely puts you in the shoes of the drunk who woke up to everyone expecting him to solve a murder mystery while he can't even remember his own name

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 5, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

:aaaaa:

Where can I turn this off? All I can see is the voice over option between full/psychological/classic. Which one keeps all character voice work and normal narration but silences the different voices for his subconscious?

Psychological is just character voices. I don't think you can lose the subconscious and keep the narrator, sadly.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Idk if this is an unheard-of take, but I didn't like the inner voices' voice acting, and wish it were silent. I thought some of them sounded dumb. Now I'm reading that different builds get more or less of different voices, so maybe I just heard a lot of the "bad" ones.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s still the same va

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was pretty bummed to hear that all the inner voices were the same and also were the narrator. Not that the VA did a bad job or anything but I was kind of hoping for unique voices for all of them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jack Trades posted:

I was pretty bummed to hear that all the inner voices were the same and also were the narrator. Not that the VA did a bad job or anything but I was kind of hoping for unique voices for all of them.

yeah, agreed on all points, but oh well. maybe next game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah tbh I liked the original setup where the "important" internal lines got VO but not all of them

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I don't know who the horrific necktie was but they need to be a way more prolific voice actor pronto

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
re: skill voices, can't remember if this one was posted before but reposting because it rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkgTWtG7Q6o

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I guess I'm an outlier in really enjoying Lenval Brown's performance as the narrator and skills? The overacted versions don't really do anything for me and I found Lenval to be a smooth-voiced anchor in a harsh and unfriendly world. He had a couple of bum lines but I'm willing to overlook that in 350,000 words.

PC Gamer did an interview with Brown and voice director Cash De Cuir which kind of sums up how I felt about it https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/we-talk-to-disco-elysiums-incredible-narrator-who-recorded-350000-words-of-dialogue-and-has-never-acted-before/

quote:

There's something very intimate, almost soothing about Lenval's performance...

CDC: That's right. I wanted Lenval's performance to be very intimate, because this is the voice inside Harry's head. And you want it to be a pleasant experience, because it's going to follow you throughout the whole game. You want it to almost cradle you in a way. There are 24 distinct voices inside the character's head—but they don't sound wildly different, because they're all prisms through which Harry is filtered.

We could have made them wildly different. That's a different approach we could have taken. But my feeling, which Lenval and I discussed a few times, was that the player has to be able to project their own reading and their own interpretation onto it. If Lenval's performance was too prescriptive—if you put too much character into it—it might take away from the version of Harry that exists in the player's head.

LB: It wouldn't have worked if there were too many different voices. It would've been too confusing. There's so much going on. I tried to play it straight. There are some moments that are funny, but I didn't want it to feel like I was the one being funny. It's not about me, it's about the person playing the game. For me it was about focus and control. It was a good exercise, and I appreciate getting the chance to do it.

CDC: He brings out a real deadpan quality too. There's a lot of humour in Disco, a lot of absurdity. And it wouldn't work if the voiceover made it bigger. So the deadpan quality in the performance makes for some wonderful moments.

LB: There's a calmness to it too. I've been playing the game myself recently. I haven't gotten very far. I'm crap at it. [laughs] But I have been enjoying watching people playing it. And it has a really nice ambience. It's a beautiful game. It's a chaotic world with a lot of craziness, and I think you need that calm underneath it all. If I was screaming at you it wouldn't have the same effect.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No, he does a fantastic job at narrating, I just think myself and others would prefer more variety for the skill voices.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The thing about brown's performance for me is, I would have never believed before hearing it that you could do such a bone dry performance of the skills so successfully. It was surprising and it gave me another perspective on how good the game's writing is, which I appreciate. For good or for ill though it is probably not the voice 99.9% of people were hearing reading out the skill text in their heads when they played before final cut

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I should say that Final Cut was my first experience of the game so I have nothing to compare it to, and I can definitely understand why it might feel wrong if you'd previously had another voice in your head.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
With the dude reading the skills it feels more like an audiobook reading than a performance of the characters, in a good way i guess

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

You're not an ultraliberal, Harry. Get the gently caress out of here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Fister Roboto posted:

No, he does a fantastic job at narrating, I just think myself and others would prefer more variety for the skill voices.

Bingo.

But I would say, I didn't like the v.a. for the tie that much. I always imagined them sounding like a sleazy Russian-accented guy (because of the liberal use of 'bratushka').

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
https://twitter.com/Kumo7_/status/1512274744493547521?s=20&t=Gmh4Q_rLeZVb8jz59wRcrA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The steering levers are a very nice touch.