Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Forum accident posted:

I've been reading through the original run of 2099 books and they're all pretty bad, but Punisher 2099 is something else.

Punisher 2099 #9 (1993)

Are these all on Marvel Unlimited? I remember having some issues of Ravage 2099 which were probably horrible but now I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Good thing they keep shooting my bracelet

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are these all on Marvel Unlimited? I remember having some issues of Ravage 2099 which were probably horrible but now I'm curious.

I don't know, my collection predates Marvel Unlimited. Ravage 2099 is really horrible though, that is true. I'm only 10 issues deep and he's already changed his powers/look/personality four times, always the sign of a strong character. First he was this CEO who gets betrayed and denounces technology to become a retro murderhobo literally driving around in the Fantasticar:

Ravage 2099 #7 (1993)

Then he goes to a radioactive mutant island and dies, then comes back with generic energy blast powers:

Ravage 2099 #8 (1993)

Then he ends up turning into a weird devil monster thing and he can turn back and forth back to his pre-issue one hobofication and now his CEO job is his secret identity...

Ravage 2099 #10 (1993)

So yeah, I can only imagine what else they try to throw at the wall to try desperately to make this character work. Also, here's a bonus wedding for people in a future cult that worships superheroes:

Ravage 2099 #10 (1993)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Holy crap, who was the writer on Ravage??

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Stan Lee actually wrote the first seven issues, which was its original draw. Then it got taken over by Pat Mills who seems like he got the job to save a dying mag now that it no longer had Stan's name on it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of reminds me of the Vigilante ongoing which never could stick to a status quo for very long.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ah so he's not a real doctor. (No actual doctor's full title is "doctor".)

Tangentally related, I knew a lady once who named her kid Doctor. Next kid was named Sherlock.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Adventures into the Unknown #74 (1956)

Ghostly Tales #98 (1972)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Forum accident posted:

Stan Lee actually wrote the first seven issues, which was its original draw. Then it got taken over by Pat Mills who seems like he got the job to save a dying mag now that it no longer had Stan's name on it.

I find the dual nature of Pat Mills the Writer and Pat Mills the Comics Editor fascinating. I generally like his weird, occult-y, subversive style which gives you Nemesis, ABC Warriors, Slaine, Finn, etc, but you also get the guy who knows he needs to put out a weekly comics anthology RIGHT NOW, so writes like 5 or 6 different stories to varying degrees of success. I recently looked at an issue of something like Crisis or Toxic (but neither of those) that he'd put together, which totally would have thrilled 15 yo me, but was a bit patchy for 45 yo me.

It it feels like that Pat Mills the Editor is writing Ravage, whilst the Pat Mills the Writer is doing Punisher 2099.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Joe Fisto posted:

Tangentally related, I knew a lady once who named her kid Doctor. Next kid was named Sherlock.

https://www.futilitycloset.com/2011/09/28/officer-material-2/ posted:

Three privates in the Army Air Forces caused some confusion when they showed up at the advanced flying school at Mather Field in California in 1942.

Their names were Admiral C. Allen, General Rudolph Merriweather, and Lieutenant Garnes. (Berkeley Daily Gazette, Oct. 8, 1942)

General L. Phillips and Lieutenant Tisdale were inducted into the Army (as privates) in Knoxville, Tenn., in 1952. (Lubbock Evening Journal, March 20, 1952)

“Private Colonel Underwood found it convenient to drop the title when requesting hotel reservations while on leave,” wrote Elsdon Coles Smith in The Story of Our Names (1970). “He would say, ‘This is Colonel Underwood speaking.’ It usually worked.”

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

From Beyond the Unknown #18 (1972; reprints)

Robot Comics #0 (1987)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Darthemed posted:

I was about to mock the Venusian dude's cash, however glass currency would probably be pretty handy in the Venusian atmosphere.

So instead, I'll just admire the Earthlet's space suit actually being a suit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Major_Major_Major

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Nightwing Rebirth #10

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ah so he's not a real doctor. (No actual doctor's full title is "doctor".)

Given that his doctorate is an honorary degree that he gave himself, it's probably in everything Latveria's universities can offer-making the plain Doctor a more efficient way of saying it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Iamyourking posted:

Given that his doctorate is an honorary degree that he gave himself, it's probably in everything Latveria's universities can offer-making the plain Doctor a more efficient way of saying it.

I was gonna say, he got kicked out of grad school because of the accident that melted his face, and I can't imagine post face melted Doom re-applying for another post graduate degree.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He could have completed his courses online.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I want to point that due to the sliding time scale, Dr. Doom is a millennial and probably got kicked out of school in the hysteria following 9/11.

This has been your daily reminder of how old you're getting.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blue Beetle #28 (1943)

Spider-Man Unlimited #19 (1998)
Peter angling to upset some Sony execs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Swag!

In this story where Batman pretends to be a footballer and take his place in a game I thought it was funny that not only does he do well enough to score a touchdown but he also kicks the extra point. Like of course he's good at both. (Unless this is just how it worked in American football back then.)

(Old Detective Comics, didn't record the issue numbers sorry)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lobok posted:

Swag!

In this story where Batman pretends to be a footballer and take his place in a game I thought it was funny that not only does he do well enough to score a touchdown but he also kicks the extra point. Like of course he's good at both. (Unless this is just how it worked in American football back then.)

So how many rules did Batman break by impersonating Stockton and for how long should Stockton be banned from the sport?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Also doesn't the football player now know Batman's secret identity?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure Superman did pretty much the exact same thing back in the day.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Zil posted:

Yrah, but it was the 40s. He's dead by now, so Bruce doesn't have to worry

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Plus he's using a leather helmet, he's not going to remember in a couple days

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zil posted:

Can't tell from the art but Batman disguised himself to look like Stockton. Also at this point in the comics history Bruce Wayne doesn't seem like quite as much of a local celebrity anyway.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Batman has been known to wear a second disguise under his cowl to throw off people trying to learn his secret identity. It's crazy but it works.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
And I think sometimes over his cowl.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kwyndig posted:

Batman has been known to wear a second disguise under his cowl to throw off people trying to learn his secret identity. It's crazy but it works.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

I liked this moment in Batman/Grendel.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You might be a Renaissance man, Batman, but your views on women aren't exactly enlightened.

Batman #12

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

Kind of like Daredevil wearing his glasses under his cowl. You'd think it would look weird, but he seems to make it work.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Esplanade posted:

Kind of like Daredevil wearing his glasses under his cowl. You'd think it would look weird, but he seems to make it work.

That’s his twin brother

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

well otherwise you'd have to draw his gross toxic-waste-ruined eyeballs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lobok posted:

Wikipedia says normally someone from the existing squad doubled as a kicker until around the 60s. So it establishes batman is absurdly good, but not so good that he's breaking convention.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Usually a novelty and not common but it happens!

https://youtu.be/Wz73_aurBpQ

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
DC vs. Vampires #6: the Suicide Squad is on a mission when it's revealed that they've been infiltrated by vampires! The last ones unturned are Harley Quinn, Deadshot, and Captain Boomerang.

RIP Captain Boomerang.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

DC vs. Vampires #6: the Suicide Squad is on a mission when it's revealed that they've been infiltrated by vampires! The last ones unturned are Harley Quinn, Deadshot, and Captain Boomerang.

RIP Captain Boomerang.

I mean, this is the Wall. All she needs is about an eighth of an actual excuse to be all "Oops, my finger slipped" about Boomerang.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Show-ha Shoten! - Chapter 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Journey into Mystery #56 (1960)