Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Going out of business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The Shrek version isn't even Buckley's, it's Rufus Wainwright, a version that manages to capture none of the magnificence of either.

On the soundtrack album, yeah. The version in the film is John Cale's.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

a lovely king posted:

So with all the bills going up, what's stopping someone just saying 'well our bills won't go up' and hoovering up all the extra customers? Shareholders? Money? Anti-monopoly laws? I honestly don't understand it.

We make a loss with every customer but make up for it with volume!

A combination of needing to maintain profit margins to retain investor confidence and secure continued financing and input costs going up, even in primary sector industries like energy mean there's no space for anyone to do a market share grabbing operation like you said as it would likely cripple them before they could start using that increased share to their benefit.

I am of the opinion that while energy companies are making a play to grab a lot more surplus value from the rest of society by raising prices almost voluntarily, the impact of the pandemic has built in a hell of a lot of inflation as well (less labour adding value, shitloads more money added to the economy and busted production methods with longer supply lines) so there's no good hoping for some good samaritan companies to not get on board with the price rises because there's some structural pressures that they simply can't ignore.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Doctor Teeth posted:

On the soundtrack album, yeah. The version in the film is John Cale's.

Oh the covers thing. I attended a friend's funeral where his son performed oasis masterplan in the church. It didn't get recorded but I'll always semi hear it overlayed in my mind when I hear the oasis one. It's all good.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

a lovely king posted:

So with all the bills going up, what's stopping someone just saying 'well our bills won't go up' and hoovering up all the extra customers? Shareholders? Money? Anti-monopoly laws? I honestly don't understand it.

the government suspended anti-cartel laws in response to the fuel (driver) shortage and havent seen fit to put them back in place while record energy production is ~somehow~ translating into a massive crisis

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Spangly A posted:

the government suspended anti-cartel laws in response to the fuel (driver) shortage and havent seen fit to put them back in place while record energy production is ~somehow~ translating into a massive crisis

I'm going to go out on a limb, having read your previous posts and say you don't know what you're talking about. Any links to make a fool of me?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Any links to make a fool of me?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=184725

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like the Mad World cover, and it's over-the-top sadness really fits the woozy-paranoia of Donnie Darko.

I'm unsure how well Donnie Darko works if you're not currently a teenager. I watched it last when i was ~23 and it didn't really have the same impact, I dread to think how it'll feel now I'm 32.

It's because 2003 was awful and depressing, and everyone was feeling awful and depressed.
I went to see it at the cinema with friends who had been garanteed an A for just writing an essay about the movie by their media studies teacher lol.

I enjoyed it a lot. I think you're spot on about not wanting to revisit it though. It felt groundbreaking to me because I'd not watched anything like it but i was l
14 and mainly just watched starwars over and over. I was with the perfect group of people to unpack it too, they were literally doing a school project on it and were pretty passionate despite the garanteed grades. It was an extremely formative movie going experience for me specifically, the quality of the movie is kinda secondary really.

The Mad World cover is really good no argument there. It made it onto my MP3 player for sure.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol again. You realise crispix the best post you've ever made is a link to my post history?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My summarised thoughts on the various music discussions of the last few pages:

I recall that Trent Reznor has said that Johnny Cash did the best version of Hurt, so I'm going with him.

An eight beat line in 4/4 time, then add another with a rhyme - it's another loving verse of Hallelujah. (I like Hallelujah, and Cohen's version is the best, but it do go on.)

They're Definitely poo poo.

A Terminator singing Donald Whaur's Your Troosers wasn't even half as weird as Shirley Manson disguised as a urinal.

Rufus Wainwright is only the third most talented of Loudon Wainwright's kids.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Energy prices go up because the price of oil and gas on the free market have gone up. And they way energy pricing contracts works is that all the sellers get the price of the most-expensive generation source, which is gas power because you can turn it on in an hour.

If you're thinking "wait, don't we have our own oil/gas fields in the North Sea, why are we paying global market prices" then remember it's all private firms doing peak capitalism. If they can get more selling it abroad, why wouldn't they?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's because 2003 was awful and depressing, and everyone was feeling awful and depressed.
what could people in 2003 possibly have to complain about? they were nearly 20 years younger and they didn't have twitter bullshit to worry about. bliss imo

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jippa posted:

A podcast I was listening too the other day was making a similar point. When did the "In a world" type voice overs for trailers get replaced by the acoustic cover versions of old songs.

The bloke who did those died.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol again. You realise crispix the best post you've ever made is a link to my post history?

An important warning to others. Thank you crispix for your service

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

An important warning to others. Thank you crispix for your service

not what i meant

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NotJustANumber99 posted:

not what i meant

You aren't very good at communicating what you mean, are you?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Don't companies have a legal obligation to do the best thing for their shareholders? So if energy prices are rising and they didn't put up prices, they'd be damaging their shareholders' profits and opening themselves up to lawsuits?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

You aren't very good at communicating what you mean, are you?

without me even saying it, guess what my next post to you might be?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb, having read your previous posts and say you don't know what you're talking about. Any links to make a fool of me?

here

record production I got from here, knock yourself out searching that

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

WhatEvil posted:

It's really simple. Your window probably has a "Euro" style lock. All you typically need to know for the handles is the "centres", that is the distance from centre of fixing hole to centre of fixing hole.

Feel free to send me a photo of your window/handles and I'll help you figure out what you need, if you like.

Further to this
My handles seem to be bog standard espag and are exactly these measurements:

I'm wanting to replace these handles with ones with a much lower profile - I've seen some where what is 42mm on here is 28mm on them which are probably suitable if only I knew how to figure out spindle length! Without removing the existing handles, not sure how to figure out spindle length.

(Handness doesn't matter because I have two windows, one opens one way and one the other so I'll be getting one of each.)

Ed: I guess I could also buy a couple of the cheapies off Amazon that have multiple spindles - an extra £15-£20 to cover two handles - but seems a bit of a waste. I don't see any possibility to just buy spindle packs separately anywhere.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 3, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Spangly A posted:

here

record production I got from here, knock yourself out searching that

so no, you can't back it up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mine aren't even espagnols, they're the old cockspur handles. I should probably do something about that.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NotJustANumber99 posted:

without me even saying it, guess what my next post to you might be?

Some weak insult?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Uggggghhhhhhhh

do we have to emulate the experience of 'everyone should have been in bed an hour ago because now we're all slightly too drunk and whiny' here, in God's own forum

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Some weak insult?

so i'm pretty good at communicating or no?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

so no, you can't back it up.

I sent you a link to a bbc story of the government suspending competition law, what exactly do you think I need to do to back up my previous statement

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Spangly A posted:

I sent you a link to a bbc story of the government suspending competition law, what exactly do you think I need to do to back up my previous statement

i think you already know which bit of your claim you haven't backed up. also weird that bbc stories are worthwhile sometimes but not other times.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hey sorry to interrupt the bickering, but new lodger is expecting to pay half of bills like water and Internet, which aren't metered and would be the same whether they were here or not, and also half the council tax instead of just the 25% single person discount I lose.

I'm confused. They're confused. What is normal?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

that sounds better for you? im not sure there is normal.

i guess you could figure out exactly how their rent works and charge them accordingly to how much you want to gently caress or not gently caress them

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lady Demelza posted:

Hey sorry to interrupt the bickering, but new lodger is expecting to pay half of bills like water and Internet, which aren't metered and would be the same whether they were here or not, and also half the council tax instead of just the 25% single person discount I lose.

You should just make an arrangement that is agreeable to you both. Usually I'd say split the bills evenly but if they're poorer than you I suppose you could do them a solid here.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think you already know which bit of your claim you haven't backed up. also weird that bbc stories are worthwhile sometimes but not other times.

the energy claim, my bad, it's exports that are at record levels.

its nice to see you really taking criticism of the bbc onboard though

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Late to Leonard Cohen chat, but Who By Fire is incredible.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

therattle posted:

Late to Leonard Cohen chat, but Who By Fire is incredible.

I really like You want it darker which he made not long before he died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQOpeJ8YHrE

And There's a crack in everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8-BT6y_wYg

And this one too (and lots more!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RYy_8u4blk

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Further to this
My handles seem to be bog standard espag and are exactly these measurements:

I'm wanting to replace these handles with ones with a much lower profile - I've seen some where what is 42mm on here is 28mm on them which are probably suitable if only I knew how to figure out spindle length! Without removing the existing handles, not sure how to figure out spindle length.

(Handness doesn't matter because I have two windows, one opens one way and one the other so I'll be getting one of each.)

Ed: I guess I could also buy a couple of the cheapies off Amazon that have multiple spindles - an extra £15-£20 to cover two handles - but seems a bit of a waste. I don't see any possibility to just buy spindle packs separately anywhere.

You can work it out. If you open up your window and look at the edge of the sash (the opening part), near the handle, you'll likely see a locking strip made of silver or gold-ish metal which has got some bolts/rollers on which are the parts that engage into keeps on the window frame and actually lock the window. Measure from the face of the window the handle sits on, to the far side of the lock strip, and that'll be roughly the spindle length you want. You can also just order the longest one and cut it down to a suitable length with a hacksaw, if you're able. You can't buy the spindle separately because they're permanently fixed into the handle rather than being loose like how they usually are on door handles.

See image for how to measure. If it doesn't make sense still let me know.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

You can work it out. If you open up your window and look at the edge of the sash (the opening part), near the handle, you'll likely see a locking strip made of silver or gold-ish metal which has got some bolts/rollers on which are the parts that engage into keeps on the window frame and actually lock the window. Measure from the face of the window the handle sits on, to the far side of the lock strip, and that'll be roughly the spindle length you want. You can also just order the longest one and cut it down to a suitable length with a hacksaw, if you're able.

See image for how to measure. If it doesn't make sense still let me know.

Cheers, thanks.
I'll have a look in the daylight - also go outside and look, probably easier than seeing round corners in the dark! Otherwise as you suggest get the largest and saw off what I don't need (hope my little saw is tough enough!)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Lady Demelza posted:

It depends IMO. If you're effectively equal partners in renting a house, and you each get the exact same rights/access etc. to stuff then they should probably pay half of everything. If it's like, a house/flat you own and you're renting out a room to a lodger at a market rate, then it's up to you to set the bills, e.g. if you set an "all-in" room rate which includes the bills. I mean, they will be using the water, internet etc. so I think it's reasonable to expect them to pay half towards them, but yeah this situation is a bit trickier, potentially.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

If it's your place* and you're essentially doing 'rent a room' you can get up to £7500 tax free income that you don't even need to report to the tax authorities under the 'rent a room' scheme. BUT you have to include all the bills in that and they're not supposed to have their own separate accommodation (as in their own door they can shut you out).

*If you're renting and the leaseholder and you are allowed under your lease to do it, then that should work. If they're paying to the landperson in their own right though, it wouldn't work.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rent-a-room-for-traders-hs223-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs223-rent-a-room-scheme-2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lady Demelza posted:

Don't companies have a legal obligation to do the best thing for their shareholders? So if energy prices are rising and they didn't put up prices, they'd be damaging their shareholders' profits and opening themselves up to lawsuits?

From what I've heard this is somewhere between a convenient lie and a misleading half-truth; companies are supposed to act in the best interests of their shareholders but the breach of that notion is so narrowly defined that absent some actively reckless or flagrantly bad-faith action by company directors, it is near impossible to show that a business decision is acting against shareholders' interests. So long as you're not running the company into the ground you're basically fine on the legal front. Whether you'll maintain the confidence of the board of directors is another matter, but "If we didn't [do evil heinous thing] I might lose my bonus, get given my golden parachute and asked to move on at the next AGM" makes a Chief Executive sound a lot more personally culpable than "I have a legal obligation to [do evil heinous thing] or the shareholders can sue us".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Lady Demelza posted:

They actually don’t have any obligation to do that, it’s mainly endured as a phrase on how convenient an excuse it is to do it anyway, even if it is completely untrue.

Companies have an obligation to keep their long term interests in mind for decisions and not make a quick profit at the expense of their long term survival, but that’s enforced about as often as you’d think.