Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

stillvisions posted:

The point here is more "if you're worrying more about about the physics of wielding a weapon versus the role in the story the action has you're probably already in trouble here".

Good writing isn't about defending against CinemaSins nitpickingl obeying the laws of physics is pretty low on the list of priorities for fiction.

clearly, the correct way is to make all your weapons luck-based, as luck is what your critical hit chance is based on anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Max Wilco posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that Lily also thought anarchy was bad, which I'm curious to know more about.

In her Korra video she goes on multiple prolonged rants about how Zaheer is awful because he's an anarchist and anarchy is the "worst" ideology since the end result of anarchists getting their way is a power vacuum that is inevitably filled by fascism. Which is what happens in Korra after Zaheer kills the Earth Queen I guess, but that's part of a larger problem with Korra itself where it tries to portray and make judgements on real world ideologies but absolutely fails to understand any of them besides arguably fascism. So you end up with antagonists who are coded to be communist or theocratic or anarchist but they're just parody strawman used for the show to ultimately land on "all of these ideologies are the same actually because they're extremist, and extremism is bad."

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

stillvisions posted:

The point here is more "if you're worrying more about about the physics of wielding a weapon versus the role in the story the action has you're probably already in trouble here".

Good writing isn't about defending against CinemaSins nitpickingl obeying the laws of physics is pretty low on the list of priorities for fiction.

I'd assumed her point was about making more lady characters ripped and not just using the bow as the default "Here, you're a girl, that means you're dextrous and use this instead of the swords the bog strong men use," given the rest of her "advice," but either way it's stupid and not about writing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my stories will only have ripped female archers who can draw the arrow back effortlessly but can't aim for poo poo

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

In her Korra video she goes on multiple prolonged rants about how Zaheer is awful because he's an anarchist and anarchy is the "worst" ideology since the end result of anarchists getting their way is a power vacuum that is inevitably filled by fascism. Which is what happens in Korra after Zaheer kills the Earth Queen I guess, but that's part of a larger problem with Korra itself where it tries to portray and make judgements on real world ideologies but absolutely fails to understand any of them besides arguably fascism. So you end up with antagonists who are coded to be communist or theocratic or anarchist but they're just parody strawman used for the show to ultimately land on "all of these ideologies are the same actually because they're extremist, and extremism is bad."

Us anarchists, when capitalism is destroy, will immediately set fire to our neighborhoods, slather poop all over ourselves and dance in the streets until entropy takes us all. Show was super neolib but that part made me laugh pretty hard. Enjoyable show but they tried to take complex political theory and ideas and tried to simplify them to really bad effects... at best. At worst, as you say, they misunderstood them completely and drew upon lib strawmen as to what these ideologies are.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Sydin posted:

In her Korra video she goes on multiple prolonged rants about how Zaheer is awful because he's an anarchist and anarchy is the "worst" ideology since the end result of anarchists getting their way is a power vacuum that is inevitably filled by fascism.

drat, guess she was right about some things after all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Lily's an idiot but that's a pretty stopped clock moment considering the whole history of anarchism and all and feels weird to keep harping on. Like, the problem is she's a hack who dresses her axe grinding against children's media as ~writing advice~ not that she correctly identified the major failing of anarchism that isn't 'half of them are feds'.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Andrast posted:

nobody who says "Monarchy is bad" when it comes to governance means stuff like sweden so it's incredibly pointless to make the distinction in this case
what actually is the distinction being made though? i ask as someone from a sweden-like constitutional monarchy where, sure, the monarch doesn't actually rule people but is still an unelected hereditary head of state whose position directly descends from from the 'divine right of kings' and whom legally wields absolute power over every aspect of the country including the ability to arbitrarily remove from power the democratically elected leaders who do the actual paper and groundwork of 'rule'.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Puppy Time posted:

It also assumes that the only available ways to deal with villains are "murder" or "let go."

That's what usually bugs me about this particular attempt at a moral quandry most of the times it crops up in fiction because, to make it actually work, the story needs to bring in some contrivance as to why the only options are "kill this villain" or "Let him kill a bunch more people". It's the reason I absolutely hate all those "Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker" debates people get into online, because most of the people arguing that killing the Joker is the morally justified choice are ignoring the fact that the only reason this is a problem is because the narrative has arbitrarily decided this particular murder-clown is impossible to imprison for...some reason?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What's everyone's thoughts about münecat

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

her nft video was kind of eh but she's usually a pretty good watch

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anarchists actually do believe things and have at times worked to build situations that satisfy them. They want a completely voluntary society with an equitable system that prevents hierarchy, which has obvious limitations you’ve probably observed if you’ve ever visited an anarchist housing situation in a big old house in your city and seen how they divide up chores.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

A lot of her writing advice isn't:

Seriously, this YouTube trend of "people who don't understand how stories work belligerently trying to teach other people how to write stories" is just the weirdest poo poo. I'd say Lily Orchard was the female version of The Critical Drinker, but I'm not quite sure how virulently racist Lily is in order for for the analogy to hold up. They line up perfectly on the "is a loving idiot" and the "literally painful to listen to" metrics though. So there's that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I have a crank conspiracy theory that the "I loving love ravens" attitude and twitter complaints about English class and the rise of Fox news and poo poo like Orchard's thread are all heads of the same hydra where mainly-Americans have been systemically both poisoned against the concept of media literacy and been deliberately educated stupid with regards to being media literate.

If you understand the ways in which stories communicate ideas, you can interrogate the storyteller.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

sexpig by night posted:

yea Lily's an idiot but that's a pretty stopped clock moment considering the whole history of anarchism and all and feels weird to keep harping on. Like, the problem is she's a hack who dresses her axe grinding against children's media as ~writing advice~ not that she correctly identified the major failing of anarchism that isn't 'half of them are feds'.

I just find it very indicative of her style of criticism that Lily stops her video dead to rant about a political ideology as espoused by a flawed strawman in children's cartoon written by two well off neoliberal white guys.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i just finished watching that professional writers go through lilys bad thread video and i thought it was pretty interesting and entertaining! :) i have a few minor things i noted with it tho, i'll just spoiler em

-aang not killing the firelord i think was fine and pretty in character from what i've seen of atla so far, even if the execution seems a bit wonky
-while everything in a story is from the author, i think its ok to have prejudice in a story if handled well (maybe i misread that one tip tho?)
-i thought fusion was fine in su (though i also have experience with seeing some people acting like fusion is always sex and then leaping to say the show espouses child sex which is :psyduck:)
-double trouble in new she-ra was written and acted by like 2 nb people, so i think the whole shapeshifter thing takes on a different context in that light specifically
-i liked the mc of su and thought he was p interesting instead of boring + i generally Really Liked the show (it seemed like one of the hosts really Hated it?)
-seriously whats with all the random sex shaming in these tweets????

in conclusion, ~~Lily Is A Huge Turd~~ (who has random shows she incoherently hates live rent free in her head for like 7 years)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

also i only saw s1 of korra like, 10 years ago so idk how accurate my memories are, but korra to me comes off like a comic book or smth that wants to Bring Up more mature political themes but then doesn't actually know how to characterize or address the flaws in societies in a interesting way so then the bad guys have to be vaguely political but also bad guys that want to like, blow up the city or whatever

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

I have a crank conspiracy theory that the "I loving love ravens" attitude and twitter complaints about English class and the rise of Fox news and poo poo like Orchard's thread are all heads of the same hydra where mainly-Americans have been systemically both poisoned against the concept of media literacy and been deliberately educated stupid with regards to being media literate.

If you understand the ways in which stories communicate ideas, you can interrogate the storyteller.

The whole “we just want good stories” crew really loves to tell on themselves when you ask them “okay, what does a good story look like if you were to tell it” and they just start spouting off insane drivel that sounds like it was cut from Patton Oswald’s Star Wars filibuster.

Like that tweet I linked earlier from Robert Burnett Meyer where his solution to “fix” a five second sight gag from Star Trek: Picard of “oh, here’s the bus punk again from Star Trek IV only he turns his music down this time” was to make it a ten minute long plot cul-du-sac where the bus punk stops the narrative dead in its tracks and explains to Seven of Nine how getting neck pinched by Spock in the 80s made him turn his life around and he’s now a successful captain of industry in the vein of John Galt or whoever the gently caress is the protagonist of Atlas Shrugged. Holy gently caress, that was all one sentence. That’s how bad it was.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
the main problem with Korra is it had Toph want to be a cop when she grew up

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

What's everyone's thoughts about münecat

She's fun, I like her jokes most of the time, seems to be decently researched, and I sometimes enjoy her musical interludes. (Sometimes they are annoying.)

Overall, I'd recommend.

nine-gear crow posted:

Seriously, this YouTube trend of "people who don't understand how stories work belligerently trying to teach other people how to write stories" is just the weirdest poo poo.

Definitely predates youtube, though it's probably easier to find thanks to youtube's magical mystical algorithm. I it's like when you first start learning about a philosophy or social justice or whatever and you feel like hot poo poo because you know more than the masses (but substantially less than the people with experience), so you shoot your mouth off every chance you get in search of that sweet, sweet validation that You Are Smart, but you just end up looking like a braying donkey.

DoctorWhat posted:

Shanspeare had a pretty good video generally agreeing with you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWszkRHoK5s

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i dunno i can see toph being a cop

shes a rich kid who likes beating people up, at the least

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
writing about writing is a poor substitute for actually writing, but it’s easy and gets plenty of Engagement so it’s become more and more common in this cursed age

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

small correction: lily liked the anarchist portrayal in korra because she thought killing a ruthless queen and peacing out, leaving the working class to burn down their own homes exactly three seconds after they find this out was an accurate representation of real world anarchism.

Like if there's one thing you can't say about real world examples it's that the monarch killers just left once they did the coup.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Booky posted:

i dunno i can see toph being a cop

shes a rich kid who likes beating people up, at the least

Toph being a cop also came about ~5 years before the concept that all cops were in fact bastards and the realization of what copadanga really was really took off in the broader public consciousness.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

toph being a cop isn't even the worst thing the story does with her.

that would be having her paint all of the ideologies with the very neolib brush of "good ideas, just went too far" which is weird when applied to the first three antags at best and then the fourth is uhhhhhhh fascism just straight up fascism like the whole shebang it's outright text

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

doesn't the s2 bad guy want to fuse with a dark god and also is korras evil uncle??

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

yes but you see actually he just wanted to unite the spirit realm with the material realm and becoming the dark avatar kaiju monster was necessary because

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I checked out that Diregentleman channel after watching their takedown and it was really good (the 2 sentence horror stories video literally made me cry laughing) and oh look it seems another cool person is involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hyd3bMD7t8

Wendig sucks so loving hard, just a complete joke of a person

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

stillvisions posted:

I still remember in the fiction advice thread in creative convention someone asked about how to write strong female characters and the specifics was on how many rocks she could lift that was realistic, so instead of answering I went to lie down

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

Anarchist history is pretty rich and great. Revolutionary Catalonia, the Paris Commune, the Zapatistas to just a name a few. The Haymarket protests were organized by anarchists too. They aren't some boogeymen or pie-in-the-sky ideology, that's just a load of liberal nonsense and the other is just an argument from incredulity. If you look through its history and literature I think you'd find it pretty darn good and pretty darn daunting. But it's feasible. It's a really nice way forward, not an end-goal of itself. Or just read The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin if you want an idea of what someone's idea of an anarchist society looks like who isn't liberal brained.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 4, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Booky posted:

also i only saw s1 of korra like, 10 years ago so idk how accurate my memories are, but korra to me comes off like a comic book or smth that wants to Bring Up more mature political themes but then doesn't actually know how to characterize or address the flaws in societies in a interesting way so then the bad guys have to be vaguely political but also bad guys that want to like, blow up the city or whatever

I think that they nailed it then. Hasn't that been like 3/5 Marvel villains that aren't like the first Iron Man villain and like, the bad hologram from Doctor Strange? At the very least I could've swore that was what people were saying about Bane in the Dark Knight Rises.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I still remember in the fiction advice thread in creative convention someone asked about how to write strong female characters and the specifics was on how many rocks she could lift that was realistic, so instead of answering I went to lie down

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/806390745330499586

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

KingKalamari posted:

That's what usually bugs me about this particular attempt at a moral quandry most of the times it crops up in fiction because, to make it actually work, the story needs to bring in some contrivance as to why the only options are "kill this villain" or "Let him kill a bunch more people". It's the reason I absolutely hate all those "Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker" debates people get into online, because most of the people arguing that killing the Joker is the morally justified choice are ignoring the fact that the only reason this is a problem is because the narrative has arbitrarily decided this particular murder-clown is impossible to imprison for...some reason?

I think Batman does put the Joker in jail, it's just that later the Joker breaks out.

The forest-for-the-trees point here is that, while you could feasibly come up with reasons why the Joker should or could die, the reason he doesn't is because Batman vs Joker stories are popular. If you kill him off, you can't write those stories (I mean you could engineer some plotline where someone resurrects the Joker, and I'm sure something like that has happened). It's like what Stan Lee said about the superhero power level argument: the person who wins in a fight is the character the author wants to win.

I think it also hits onto the point that fiction is not representative of actual reality.

sexpig by night posted:

I checked out that Diregentleman channel after watching their takedown and it was really good (the 2 sentence horror stories video literally made me cry laughing) and oh look it seems another cool person is involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hyd3bMD7t8

Wendig sucks so loving hard, just a complete joke of a person

Goddamn it. I wanted to watch that video.

Well, maybe if we're lucky, someone downloaded it and uploaded it to the Internet Archive.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

"We should write a story strong female character. Any ideas?"

"Hmmm...I got it! Let's write about a lady who's a former bodybuilder, and her tribulations trying to keep her gym business afloat amidst the economic downturn caused by COVID and attempted buyout from various fitness franchises!"

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 4, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My information is extremely outdated so I'm sure there's new stuff but I assume that if you're going to start thinking about comic books realistically then the solution to a lot of problems like the Joker or Vandall Savage are probably just to be the Phantom Zone right? I'm still just going off animated stuff and the Arkham games dor my knowledge of anything but he's just a guy with no powers like the Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face and Hugo Strange right? No more Arkham breakouts, into the void with you

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

From everything I've heard about Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin, I appreciate Team Ninja trying to further refine the Nioh engine/system but I remained perennially baffled at whoever they keep on their writing staff for their games. It's like they keep them sealed in cryogenic pods and only release them for a few weeks every year, so they've barely aged or advanced mentally beyond when they were initially locked within in 2006.

As someone who's actually finished the Jack Chaosmans game the writing is actually surprisingly good, along with the voice acting. They frontload a lot of the memetastic stuff but it actually gets explained later in a decently satisfying way and there's a good emotional core to the whole storyline.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Anarchist history is pretty rich and great. Revolutionary Catalonia, the Paris Commune, the Zapatistas to just a name a few. The Haymarket protests were organized by anarchists too. They aren't some boogeymen or pie-in-the-sky ideology, that's just a load of liberal nonsense and the other is just an argument from incredulity. If you look through its history and literature I think you'd find it pretty darn good and pretty darn daunting. But it's feasible. It's a really nice way forward, not an end-goal of itself. Or just read The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin if you want an idea of what someone's idea of an anarchist society looks like who isn't liberal brained.

the fun part of people arguing about anarchism is that it doesn't matter which side is pro or anti anarchism, both of them call their opponents liberals

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alaois posted:

the fun part of people arguing about anarchism is that it doesn't matter which side is pro or anti anarchism, both of them call their opponents liberals

The great unifying position of all disciplines of Communism and Marxism is the hatred of liberals. It's like one of three agreed upon points.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean, I'm sure uneven education in media literacy/analysis with pre-college classes is pretty common in America, but I don't know if it's really something emphasized anywhere else, either. It's one of those "subjective" namby pamby thing's that you can't make national/international standardized tests around.

Booky posted:

I think Korra wanted to tackle more serious things, yeah, and the politics were probably always going to be iffy. Like even if the writers were doing proper research or wanted to present a nuanced view of anarchism, there's no way Nickelodeon would let that out the door when execs poo poo bricks at Korra and Asami starting a relationship in the last episode. Plus Nick was constantly vacillating on if they'd get another season or even how many episodes they'd get, so it's not like they had time to plan out any broad plans on how to flesh out the antagonist groups. Korra had a lot of interesting ideas and.... a lot of weird ones but it was trying to be a lot more ambitious than its parent network ever wanted for anything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

My information is extremely outdated so I'm sure there's new stuff but I assume that if you're going to start thinking about comic books realistically then the solution to a lot of problems like the Joker or Vandall Savage are probably just to be the Phantom Zone right? I'm still just going off animated stuff and the Arkham games dor my knowledge of anything but he's just a guy with no powers like the Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face and Hugo Strange right? No more Arkham breakouts, into the void with you
the issue is that he will simply escape from the phantom zone not because he has super powers or magical abilities or anything but because it will be necessary for him to leave the phantom zone in order to be in another comic book. batman cannot (truly) kill his opponents for the same reason that he cannot permanently jail his opponents - because batman exists as cooperative fiction and it doesn't matter how many writers or editors decide they are done with a character, there will be another who decides they aren't and will do everything up to and including resetting the state of the entire universe in order to reverse whatever solution you want to implement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Batman is such a wacky comic. It's dark and brooding and batman is sad he can't save his parents and use his vast wealth to solve crime forever but in another panel of another comic he has a villain who turns into an orca and her corpse is found floating in sewer water like Ophelia depicted by Millais