Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Nope, closest that we have is the official name day calendar. If your name is on the list, it gets a calendar day for a minor celebration most people stop bothering with in their mid 20s. That's all.

Ironically, it's VVC who controls that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Do Latvians also have to chose names for their children from a set list approved by such institution or is that strictly a Hungarian thing?

No, our parents can proudly name their children Pirāts, Tarzāns, Potencija, Ļeksus, Fandango Fonteins, Nirvana, Bass, Data, Kosmoss, Elektrija, Galaktions, Bonaventūta, Stalina, Latte, Džihads, and so on.

a podcast for cats posted:

most people stop bothering with in their mid 20s.

That’s definitely not my experience, by the way. It’s a “you can open balsam in office” day, and so it’s venerated with vengeance.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 2, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Do Latvians also have to chose names for their children from a set list approved by such institution or is that strictly a Hungarian thing?

Finland stopped doing that in 2019.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, our parents can proudly name their children Pirāts, Tarzāns, Potencija, Ļeksus, Fandango Fonteins, Nirvana, Bass, Data, Kosmoss, Elektrija, Galaktions, Bonaventūta, Stalina, Latte, Džihads, and so on.

Enjoy your name choosing freedom! Here in Hungary there are two ways you can get a name not on the list. First option is proving you are some ethnic minority so the rules don't apply. The second option is writing a letter to the Hungarian Language Institute asking them to add the name you want to the list. In this later case they do some historical research into the name etc and either reject or approve it, adding it to the list. Gandalf, Frodo and Bilbo are on the list, but pretty sure you can't call your children Nirvana, or Latte.

Nope, closest that we have is the official name day calendar. If your name is on the list, it gets a calendar day for a minor celebration most people stop bothering with in their mid 20s. That's all.

Ironically, it's VVC who controls that too.

Hah, we do celebrate "Name Day". Its mostly friends and family wishing you "Happy name day!" on the set day and that's about it. It's just made a bit more complicated by some very common names having multiple dates around a year, and the person can chose which one of them they celebrate.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ngl, "Stalin Latte Jihad" would make a sick name for a particularly edgelordy crust punk band

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

endlessmonotony posted:

Finland stopped doing that in 2019.

In what sense? You still can't change your legal name to endlessmonotony or name your offspring as endlessmonotony Jr. Sorry.

Even Nenonen is unacceptable as a given name. Neno would probably pass.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s definitely not my experience, by the way. It’s a “you can open balsam in office” day, and so it’s venerated with vengeance.

Intro to balsam pls. It did the rounds in my family in the nineties, when I finally got to try it I just asked “why would anyone drink this?”.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Intro to balsam pls. It did the rounds in my family in the nineties, when I finally got to try it I just asked “why would anyone drink this?”.

:same:

I suppose it's like Vegemite or salmiakki. And gotta say, getting used to coffee or beer took time! But we also have differences in our taste buds, so it's possible that some just can't physically get used to things that others enjoy.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
It's just a drink. Not unlike Gammel Dansk or Fernet Branca, it has its use cases.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The company I work for had a very boozy culture and, initially, very few Latvians. Somehow that led to balsam becoming a hazing drink for new hires Friday afterwork. Until HR put a stop to that.

Yet I've never seen namedays being more than casually acknowledged.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 2, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nenonen posted:

In what sense? You still can't change your legal name to endlessmonotony or name your offspring as endlessmonotony Jr. Sorry.

Even Nenonen is unacceptable as a given name. Neno would probably pass.

Yeah but they got rid of the name list, I just legally named myself something previously unacceptable because it's foreign.

Yes, I still can't be Yksitoikkoinen Nenämäki, which is a problem, but I'll live with it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

It’s mostly a cultural thing, even if the drink is actually quite decent (iirc, I don’t drink anymore). You’re supposed to get black currant version specifically, and to drink with with coffee - simply add anywhere between 1 teaspoon and 2 tablespoons to a cup of coffee (I’m assuming a cappuccino cup here, 180 ml).

The cultural thing comes in with the Soviet legacy of endemic alcoholism. As a consequence, we have insanely harsh laws against drinking at work (you can American-style fire someone on the spot regardless of other circumstances, if you catch them drinking or inebriated at work - with no compensation of any sort). As the time went, this turned out to be a popular coffee combination, and so it grew into this role of “officially permitted” office alcohol, from which point it became a coveted business gift (bribe). And that basically became a self-reinforcing loop, aided by the quality of the drink.

Edit:

The company I work for had a very boozy culture and, initially, very few Latvians. Somehow that led to balsam becoming a hazing drink for new hires Friday afterwork. Until HR put a stop to that.

Yet I've never seen namedays being more than casually acknowledged.

FWIW literally every single job I’ve had every name day in colleagues circles is either a cake or a bottle (mostly cake, I only briefly worked in construction). Hell, my first job in Riga I got a wine bottle for name day from my boss - that was less than 5 years ago.

It’s a fairly big deal with everyone in my family as well, with everyone keeping track of each other’s name says (but that’s something you could write ostensibly off as a rural Latgale thing).

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 2, 2022

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

cinci zoo sniper posted:

FWIW literally every single job I’ve had every name day in colleagues circles is either a cake or a bottle (mostly cake, I only briefly worked in construction). Hell, my first job in Riga I got a wine bottle for name day from my boss - that was less than 5 years ago.

It’s a fairly big deal with everyone in my family as well, with everyone keeping track of each other’s name says (but that’s something you could write ostensibly off as a rural Latgale thing).

In Hungary every half decent web portal or news site has the current name days right next to the date. Its not a present worthy occasion, but worthy of a phone call when it's family, a flower if its your mother etc.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In Hungary every half decent web portal or news site has the current name days right next to the date. Its not a present worthy occasion, but worthy of a phone call when it's family, a flower if its your mother etc.

It’s the same here, name days are on all news or weather websites, calendars, newspapers, and other stuff that has some time context. In my family specifically, it is an occasion for presents, but we also don’t do particularly grand birthdays, so we just have two half-birthdays per year for everyone essentially. Amongst my social circles, the attitude does vary, but I cannot say I can think of a single person who outright doesn’t care for it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Same here in Poland with the names everywhere, but outside of family, no one celebrates name-days. Even with families, it’s so different - my grandfathers and my moms generation would always call at least, in my generation no one gives a poo poo. Then I met my wife and in her family, they celebrate it like a birthday, with presents and a dinner and poo poo. You never know.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hungarian elections kicking off strong with Orban posting that "The communists all vote! We should be there too!"

(For clarity he is calling the opposition parties communist... the ones which are in league with nazi Ukraine. :v: )

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Does Hungary have that weird law, where you can't talk about election results until it ends (it leads to some stupid poo poo in Poland where everyone is thinly disguising it by talking about the price of X being 40PLN, while Y is 23PLN on election days)?

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

mmkay posted:

Does Hungary have that weird law, where you can't talk about election results until it ends (it leads to some stupid poo poo in Poland where everyone is thinly disguising it by talking about the price of X being 40PLN, while Y is 23PLN on election days)?

Election silence has been abolished by Orban in 2012, there are only a few rules left:

1. it is not allowed to hold an election rally on election day,
2. no campaign activities may be conducted in the polling stations or within 150 meters of the entrance to the polling stations,
3. voters may not be transported in groups and no public call may be issued for requesting a mobile ballot box and transporting them to the polling station, (yet this happens all the time)
4. it is not allowed to broadcast political advertisements on TV, (which is hilarious as 90% of the media is government owned so they just run "Government Information adds" instead ;) )
5. no opinion polls may be conducted in the polling station area, only those leaving the building may be interviewed, and exit polls may not be published during the day. (mean this exit poll thing might be slightly similar to what you are describing)

I cast my vote, so now Ill stock up on alcohol and wait. I'm really fed up that my country is a poo poo stain on the EU. (And also that my fuckin only option against Orban was ANOTHER Christian conservative with 8 children.)

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

how successful have jobbik been at rebranding themselves as "moderates"?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m gonna go ahead and assume QQs dead drunk so any Hungarian insight we might have will have to wair for their hungover

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mokotow posted:

I’m gonna go ahead and assume QQs dead drunk so any Hungarian insight we might have will have to wair for their hungover

https://www.euronews.com/2022/04/03/hungary-election-live-voting-closes-as-viktor-orban-seeks-fifth-term-in-office

It looks like another Orban win if exit polls are correct

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

From what I heard, he was the favorite, but he’s facing having fewer representatives which will make pushing far reaching changes (ei. constitutional) harder.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Without going into this to the level of American weirdness I’m basically half Russian. Having been the subject of ethnicity/religion based slurs for half my childhood I decided way back that I will never stoop down to the level of saying “ruski/ruscy”, which if you spoke casually about Russia with anyone in Poland is loving weird because what are you going to say, rosjanie?

I’m having a bit of a breakdown now and I think it’s time to give in because *gently caress* man ww2 level warcrimes, which I explained to myself up to now as a thing one might do with the baggage of having to go through 5 years of war. Looks like all it takes is a week (if that) of things not going to plan in a special military operation

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m a bit confused by the terminology angle, what are you saying there? Like, there’s русский/россиянин distinction, but both terms I would’ve expected to be mundane.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Ruski is pejorative but it’s used so often I don’t think it registers as such, applies both to people and language. Rosyjski/rosjanin is the proper term.

It’s constructed in the same way that polack is, that is take a word from a foreign language and write it in your own.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Mokotow posted:

From what I heard, he was the favorite, but he’s facing having fewer representatives which will make pushing far reaching changes (ei. constitutional) harder.

I started drinking when I saw the final polls saying Fidesz 49% opposition 41%. There are no words to describe how disgusted I feel about my nation.

Funny thing is, the ballot burning I posted about earlier? It was reported to the National Election Committee, and they said because its outside of the territory of Hungary its not their jurisdiction. Which means no-one has any jurisdiction over mail in ballots. :shepicide:
Anyway waiting for the exit polls, it looks like Orban lost his 2/3 majority which is a big blow to him. There is a chance that all districts of Budapest will be opposition (meaning even more funds will be cut from the city's budget by the government). Mi Hazánk not getting in makes me happy.

It's amazing that I never expected the opposition to win, but as closer we got to this date the more optimistic I became.
Right now I'm checking out how much property costs in Slovenia...

Edit:

"Ruszki" is a sort of pejorative term for Russians in Hungary, as normally they are called "Orosz"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Ruski is pejorative but it’s used so often I don’t think it registers as such, applies both to people and language. Rosyjski/rosjanin is the proper term.

It’s constructed in the same way that polack is, that is take a word from a foreign language and write it in your own.

I’m familiar with polack, that makes sense as an analogy, cheers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Without going into this to the level of American weirdness I’m basically half Russian. Having been the subject of ethnicity/religion based slurs for half my childhood I decided way back that I will never stoop down to the level of saying “ruski/ruscy”, which if you spoke casually about Russia with anyone in Poland is loving weird because what are you going to say, rosjanie?

I’m having a bit of a breakdown now and I think it’s time to give in because *gently caress* man ww2 level warcrimes, which I explained to myself up to now as a thing one might do with the baggage of having to go through 5 years of war. Looks like all it takes is a week (if that) of things not going to plan in a special military operation

I don't know what else to say, except that it's utterly devastating. I have to take a pause from following this stuff, because combined with realizing what's tolerated in that one putrid subforum, it's broken me.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

If you're considering leaving for a country that doesn't have an autocratic, nationalist leader, you might wanna look into different options.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I was using the term „rusek” all my life, not even as a pejorative, but someone was saying that it’s not fair, considering it’s derived from “rus”, as in “Kyiven Rus”, “White Rus”, so now I make the extra intelectual effort to say “rosjanin”.

Conversly I think Cinci or someone from that region was saying that their counterpart for “żyd” is derogatory, while in Polish it’s just “jew”, “jewish”, etc. These things differ surprisingly.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Doctor Malaver posted:

If you're considering leaving for a country that doesn't have an autocratic, nationalist leader, you might wanna look into different options.

I was just looking for something that's close by and had a seashore and mountains.

Mokotow posted:

Conversly I think Cinci or someone from that region was saying that their counterpart for “żyd” is derogatory, while in Polish it’s just “jew”, “jewish”, etc. These things differ surprisingly.

Indeed in Russian is very derogatory and my wife was really shocked when she moved here that in Hungarian "zsidó" just means "jew" and is used by Hungarians and jews alike to describe anything jewish.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Mokotow posted:

I was using the term „rusek” all my life, not even as a pejorative, but someone was saying that it’s not fair, considering it’s derived from “rus”, as in “Kyiven Rus”, “White Rus”

Nah, that would be Rusin.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

First results in.

At 16.67% of the votes processed, 61.93% Fidesz, 27.06% Opposition, and 6.61% Mi Hazánk. Based on this Fidesz holds 88 and the opposition holds 16 individual seats.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grimly appropriate.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Nah, that would be Rusin.

Whipped out the ‘ol PWN dictionary (kidding, googled it) and it confirms both words derive from “Ruś”.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Mokotow posted:

Whipped out the ‘ol PWN dictionary (kidding, googled it) and it confirms both words derive from “Ruś”.

Eh, yes and no, as they say. To tell someone that they shouldn’t be saying Rusek because that’s someone from Rus is disingenuous. In Rus times no-one in Poland was saying Rusek about Rus people.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sadly too much, if you don't mind rural nothingness there are plenty of options in the centre-south of Italy.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Fidesz won for sure now. The only question is will they have 2/3 majority again or not.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Fidesz 2/3 majority, nazis got in as well. No hope in this country.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No worries putin will come to denazify you any moment now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Is it the grasp they have over media?