Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zhar
May 3, 2019

I'm thinking of upgrading to a mech board, is the keychron k2 the one to go for when it comes to a 'budget' (can get for just under £90) ISO keyboard in this size? I know keychron have a bad reputation but it would be dispatched from amazon (uk) so hopefully if something goes wrong they would deal with it. I'm not averse to a longer tkl but I quite like the look of this kind of setup.

If I flashed it with sonixqmk would I be able to remap the function key? I might not do this as it seems a little risky, but it would be nice to have the option.

Or perhaps I should try out ansi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

ANSI definitely gives you more options. And on the flip side, if that Keychron has BT or key death after Amazon's 30 days are up you're going to be poo poo outta luck

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

zhar posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading to a mech board, is the keychron k2 the one to go for when it comes to a 'budget' (can get for just under £90) ISO keyboard in this size? I know keychron have a bad reputation but it would be dispatched from amazon (uk) so hopefully if something goes wrong they would deal with it. I'm not averse to a longer tkl but I quite like the look of this kind of setup.

If I flashed it with sonixqmk would I be able to remap the function key? I might not do this as it seems a little risky, but it would be nice to have the option.

Or perhaps I should try out ansi.

Royal Kludge (ignore the stupid name) do ISO models, are cheaper and seem to have better customer service. The default keycaps are a bit naff but aside from that they're great.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Also worth noting that the one thing RK is not good at is photography (unlike Keychron, who apparently puts all of their customer service budget into their product photos). They look much nicer in person

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So at the end I got a Huntsman V2. This thing has configurable polling rates. Is there any point to it? It defaults to 1000hz, but looking things up, 125hz seems to be the default USB polling rate of Windows (which I guess used up until now). So what does this practically do, other than being a numbers game that happens to keep the CPU awake more than necessary?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 3, 2022

zhar
May 3, 2019

In theory if something went wrong with the keychron due to a product defect I should be protected by statutory warranty, although in practice I imagine trying to get that fulfilled might not be worth the effort.

Unfortunately I can't find an rk 84 or tkl with iso layout on amazon. Still not 100% I want to go with ansi, I'm going to observe my typing today. What kind of switches do rk use?

Looks like the next step up with iso is something like a ducky one tkl, ducky one 3 for something hot swappable. But then I'm looking at ~£150 which is quite a step up in price. I'm sure it's a higher quality board but not sure it's that much better.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Combat Pretzel posted:

So at the end I got a Huntsman V2. This thing has configurable polling rates. Is there any point to it? It defaults to 1000hz, but looking things up, 125hz seems to be the default USB polling rate of Windows (which I guess used up until now). So what does this practically do, other than being a numbers game that happens to keep the CPU awake more than necessary?

I'd say it's purely marketing. At 125hz, your keypress can register as much as 8ms later than you actually pressed it! Woe!

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's probably mostly marketing like mentioned above, but if you play rhythm games it can make a difference for hitting the correct timing if you're playing at a really high level of skill.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

zhar posted:

In theory if something went wrong with the keychron due to a product defect I should be protected by statutory warranty, although in practice I imagine trying to get that fulfilled might not be worth the effort.

Unfortunately I can't find an rk 84 or tkl with iso layout on amazon. Still not 100% I want to go with ansi, I'm going to observe my typing today. What kind of switches do rk use?

Looks like the next step up with iso is something like a ducky one tkl, ducky one 3 for something hot swappable. But then I'm looking at ~£150 which is quite a step up in price. I'm sure it's a higher quality board but not sure it's that much better.

They can can come with the standard red, blue, or brown. They’re hot swappable so you can change them too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Phosphine posted:

I'd say it's purely marketing. At 125hz, your keypress can register as much as 8ms later than you actually pressed it! Woe!

mes posted:

It's probably mostly marketing like mentioned above, but if you play rhythm games it can make a difference for hitting the correct timing if you're playing at a really high level of skill.
Turns out my old rear end Filco already did fixed 1000hz. I guess I'll leave the new Huntsman at 1000hz, too.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Combat Pretzel posted:

Turns out my old rear end Filco already did fixed 1000hz. I guess I'll leave the new Huntsman at 1000hz, too.

If you game at all, you'll want to stick to 1000hz. The processing difference is rather trivial.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Phosphine posted:

The thing about latency is that every source of it adds up and your net latency absolutely does create those super frustrating "wtf, I blocked that!" moments. People who play games where it matters aren't just looking at the keyboard, they're also trying to remove it from the monitor, the rendering of the game itself, their Internet connection, etc. And 8ms is a pretty decent chunk to knock off.

Also, it's potentially way worse than 8ms. I've seen otherwise well-reviewed enthusiast-targeted keyboards go all the way to 20ms in rtings' latency tests, so it's not just the polling rate at play. But keyboards that are designed with that in mind tend to take all possible sources seriously and look at the total latency. I personally don't like Razer, but they're absolutely not just cranking the polling rate to create a marketing number.

The total added input latency of the Huntsman v2 with it's "Keyswitch Optimization Mode" (lol) set to Gaming and its polling rate maxed out to 8k is 0.5ms. That is legitimately loving cool if you play any shooter, rhythm, fighting, or action games at all. If you already bought the thing and have that capability, you may as well take advantage of it. I don't see any benefit to leaving it at 1k. Max that poo poo out and then drop it back down if it causes some kind of unforseen problem, but I see no reason to assume it will.

Mouse polling rate also matters due to some fun interactions with high refresh rate monitors and GPUs, but that's off topic here

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 3, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

zhar posted:

Unfortunately I can't find an rk 84 or tkl with iso layout on amazon.

Check the RK website. They already ship quickly and have good customer service, so it's not a brand that requires giving more money to Jeff Bezos

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Phosphine posted:

That's not as trivial as you make it out to be. Gaming is the obvious example, but even just for typing, input delay adds up really fast and can significantly affect how well you type at high speeds. Modern computers, despite how fast they are, actually have significantly more input delay than old computers due to how many more systems are involved. It's completely normal for a modern computer to have a keypress to character on screen delay of 60-80ms, which if you're typing at 100wpm could easily leave you a couple characters behind. Shaving 8ms off of that is really nice!

And of course with gaming that's a lot. At 60fps that could easily make things happen a frame sooner, and at 144fps could get you two frames ahead. With various timed systems interacting every ms counts, because an event firing 1ms sooner could get the action in a frame sooner, which at 60fps is almost 17ms! There are lots of thresholds like this interacting when bringing keypresses to the screen, so small improvements can turn out to be really big.

E:f,b

Taffer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 3, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Bus mouse baby. Back 20+ years ago I had a better computer experience with a Bus mouse and a CRT. Near zero latency.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Does anyone on here actually like cherry profile? I’m trying to learn to love it with my Nautilus key caps but it is hard over XDA. I care because all of the best sets are in cherry.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ask me in a week or two. My switch component order comes in tomorrow, and once I have them assembled and installed the first keycap set I'm planning to put on them is Cherry (testing it out for the same reason as you).

mewse
May 2, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Does anyone on here actually like cherry profile? I’m trying to learn to love it with my Nautilus key caps but it is hard over XDA. I care because all of the best sets are in cherry.

Yes, for me cherry profile feels like OEM but flatter and I prefer it

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

LionArcher posted:

Hell yes, I've tried literally almost every profile out there and still always go back to Cherry eventually. Sculpted + short height is really my thing. HuB probably would've been my favorite if it took off since spherical would've been the perfect trifecta.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I've honestly never tried a GMK yet but I'm correct that's pretty much what Cherry is right?

zhar
May 3, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Check the RK website. They already ship quickly and have good customer service, so it's not a brand that requires giving more money to Jeff Bezos

My principles don't extend to paying an extra £20 and waiting extra weeks for it to be delivered unfortunately. That being said I'm now considering whether to get a budget 'starter board' like this is the best way forward, or to go all in on an ergodox or moonlander that will hopefully last at least a decade especially given I have shoulder/wrist problems. That kind of price wasn't even on my radar when I thought of upgrading my current keyboard which probably wasn't far off £20 new though so it's going to be a painful decision :sigh:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I'm not sure what you thought I meant by "quickly," but I got mine in literal days. And you'd be paying that extra £20 to get the rare layout you want, not just to support the manufacturer directly. You do you, though. :shrug:

Moonlander and Ergodox aren't the only options on the split market, they're just the best advertised. If you want to go cheaper to start out you absolutely can (keebio is a good place to start, and there are others that have been mentioned itt), in both ortho setups like the two you mentioned and traditional staggered layouts that are easier to transition onto and off of. Most of the ergo/pain relief benefit just comes from the keyboard being split (and tenting, for some people) so consider both layout realms imo. And if you don't mind doing the building yourself, you can probably cut that price from the two you were looking at in half

Khorne
May 1, 2002

LionArcher posted:

OEM is my favorite but Cherry is usable. I also find it kind of annoying that most sets are in cherry. I've always wondered if it's because it uses significantly less material than OEM or if it's more popular for some other reason that's off my radar like aesthetics or something.

I've never really used XDA but from how it looks I might really like it. I tend to like minimal differences in height between rows, caps that occupy lots of space, and that's about it really. The row height difference criteria is why I prefer OEM over cherry, and XDA seems to take that to an extreme.

Now you have me looking at XDA sets for my upcoming kbd 75 build.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 4, 2022

zhar
May 3, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm not sure what you thought I meant by "quickly," but I got mine in literal days. And you'd be paying that extra £20 to get the rare layout you want, not just to support the manufacturer directly. You do you, though. :shrug:

I thought that was implied from your original post but I couldn't find iso layouts for the rk84 (which I suppose makes some sense as it would then be an rk85) or tkl. I may have been looking at the wrong website (rkgamingstore.com) or I might be blind. Either way bit of a moot point now I'm looking at splits but I appreciate the suggestion.

Unsinkabear posted:

Moonlander and Ergodox aren't the only options on the split market, they're just the best advertised. If you want to go cheaper to start out you absolutely can (keebio is a good place to start, and there are others that have been mentioned itt), in both ortho setups like the two you mentioned and traditional staggered layouts that are easier to transition onto and off of. Most of the ergo/pain relief benefit just comes from the keyboard being split (and tenting, for some people) so consider both layout realms imo. And if you don't mind doing the building yourself, you can probably cut that price from the two you were looking at in half

I don't really mind paying a premium for something I'm going to be using as much as a keyboard, especially if it's as 'sustainable' as zsa claim, and having done some reading in this thread and elsewhere if I can settle down with one even at that price I'd be getting off lightly compared to some. I'm planning to try some non-qwerty layouts so my transitioning will already be gimped but I use the same machine 99% of the time anyway so I'm not really against training myself to use ortholinear. I like that the moonlander has a beefy mcu I could flash some extra feature onto down the line if I was feeling fancy as well as the inbuilt wrist rest but I don't know it's got enough extras to justify the rather significant extra cost vs the prebuilt keebio iris for example?

I tried to repair some headphones which had the connectors come loose a while back and ended up unsoldering all the rest of the internal wiring instead somehow so I'll stick to looking at prebuilt for now.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

zhar posted:

I thought that was implied from your original post but I couldn't find iso layouts for the rk84 (which I suppose makes some sense as it would then be an rk85) or tkl. I may have been looking at the wrong website (rkgamingstore.com) or I might be blind. Either way bit of a moot point now I'm looking at splits but I appreciate the suggestion.

Ah, my bad, I haven't looked in a while so I took the other poster at their word that they had the option. Sorry!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So salty I missed out on the Mode65, with how customisable it was it's so hard for me to find a Blue-Grey one on the aftermarket with a black or polycarb bottom, black or Multi Ti backpiece, and hotswap ANSI PCB.

Cough.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

ijyt posted:

So salty I missed out on the Mode65, with how customisable it was it's so hard for me to find a Blue-Grey one on the aftermarket with a black or polycarb bottom, black or Multi Ti backpiece, and hotswap ANSI PCB.

Cough.

The Zoom65 is going into GB soon I think, that may fill some of the requirements at least.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
I just pulled the trigger on a Space65 Round III in Forest Green and am having trouble figuring out a good keycap color scheme other than White-on-Black or Green-on-Black. Any reccs?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Gray Ghost posted:

I just pulled the trigger on a Space65 Round III in Forest Green and am having trouble figuring out a good keycap color scheme other than White-on-Black or Green-on-Black. Any reccs?

SA Jadeite set or similar: https://novelkeys.com/products/sa-jadeite
MT3 Elvish: https://drop.com/buy/drop-the-lord-of-the-rings-mt3-elvish-keycap-set?defaultSelectionIds=964667
GMK Kaiju: https://drop.com/buy/drop-nephlock-gmk-kaiju-custom-keycap-set?defaultSelectionIds=952533

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
If people were looking for split 75% keyboards, this is in group buy now:

https://mergedesign.store/products/um-80

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Man, I hate this artificial scarcity group buy FOMO exploitation poo poo. That is a superb layout with an OLED and goddamn gorgeous colors, but I'm not able to swing an unplanned $196 around tax time and I'm on the fence about whether I'm ready to solder. By the time I have both those answers, this will likely be closed. I would have to make a hasty decision now instead, which is what they want.

It makes me want to support Keebio even more (not that I have much choice in this case) for just making a product and actually selling it.

E: thank you for the link anyway (pardon my rant), it is a beautiful 75% and I'm glad to see more options coming out

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 6, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah. I’ve gone between I’m totally fine with my GMMK pro with boba switches, to “maybe my end game is a 65 percent high end since all the keyboard pro/influencers use that, but ill miss my function keys, so maybe a 6 key micro pad?” And then realize the reason behind keyboards are so high end is because of materials, but mostly because of very weird differences in what people consider good sounding, meanwhile a lot of those pros don’t actually seem to type that much versus just building keyboards.

See me considering a Rama u80 as an endgame as well. (To be fair, I think it legit looks great, but will it make me type better than my GMMk Pro? I mean I’ll just put in boba’s in it with XDA key caps).

See also how many cool key caps are only cherry.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 6, 2022

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I put Boba U4T in my GMMK Pro and I haven't really wanted any other keyboard. It does everything I need and I've realized 75% is the best layout for me personally.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

LionArcher posted:

Yeah. I’ve gone between I’m totally fine with my GMMK pro with boba switches, to “maybe my end game is a 65 percent high end since all the keyboard pro/influencers use that, but ill miss my function keys, so maybe a 6 key micro pad?” And then realize the reason behind keyboards are so high end is because of materials, but mostly because of very weird differences in what people consider good sounding, meanwhile a lot of those pros don’t actually seem to type that much versus just building keyboards.

See me considering a Rama u80 as an endgame as well. (To be fair, I think it legit looks great, but will it make me type better than my GMMk Pro? I mean I’ll just put in boba’s in it with XDA key caps).

See also how many cool key caps are only cherry.

Please don’t support Rama. The guy is a shithead.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
more like dRama

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

Man, I hate this artificial scarcity group buy FOMO exploitation poo poo. That is a superb layout with an OLED and goddamn gorgeous colors, but I'm not able to swing an unplanned $196 around tax time and I'm on the fence about whether I'm ready to solder. By the time I have both those answers, this will likely be closed. I would have to make a hasty decision now instead, which is what they want.

It makes me want to support Keebio even more (not that I have much choice in this case) for just making a product and actually selling it.

E: thank you for the link anyway (pardon my rant), it is a beautiful 75% and I'm glad to see more options coming out

I think you are drastically over-thinking the intent behind Group Buys like this. The vast majority of these kinds of projects are run by individuals, not massive companies, and usually out of their home office or garage.

Very few people in the hobby can afford to just buy a ton of these things out of pocket and sell them in-stock. This is almost entirely due to cost (everything in this hobby is expensive, even moreso with the current chip shortage) and the best way to reduce cost is to buy in larger quantities, which is even more expensive.

With rare exception, GBs are capped in size and duration to make logistics easier for the designer / GB runner. They can only fulfill a certain number in a reasonable amount of time, so it makes sense to cap either after a certain amount of time or GB items purchased. They also don't really want people making hasty decisions because that usually results in order cancellations, with fees that the GB runner usually has to cover out-of-pocket.

None of these kinds of GBs are being run with the intent to create FOMO and to get people to make hasty decisions. They're almost entirely passion projects being run by individuals with limited funds, capacity, and logistical capabilities.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Gearman posted:

I think you are drastically over-thinking the intent behind Group Buys like this. The vast majority of these kinds of projects are run by individuals, not massive companies, and usually out of their home office or garage.

Very few people in the hobby can afford to just buy a ton of these things out of pocket and sell them in-stock. This is almost entirely due to cost (everything in this hobby is expensive, even moreso with the current chip shortage) and the best way to reduce cost is to buy in larger quantities, which is even more expensive.

With rare exception, GBs are capped in size and duration to make logistics easier for the designer / GB runner. They can only fulfill a certain number in a reasonable amount of time, so it makes sense to cap either after a certain amount of time or GB items purchased. They also don't really want people making hasty decisions because that usually results in order cancellations, with fees that the GB runner usually has to cover out-of-pocket.

None of these kinds of GBs are being run with the intent to create FOMO and to get people to make hasty decisions. They're almost entirely passion projects being run by individuals with limited funds, capacity, and logistical capabilities.

I enjoyed this post a lot, well said!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ihatepants posted:

Wait really? That helps me not get it.thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ihatepants posted:

9/11 non dimenticare mai.